ADVERTISEMENT

Next commit?

Sokol was dazzled by the Tan Tom new facility according to his best friend at W#1. His face wasnt to excited in the team photo so not expecting him to go to Iowa.
Wish him luck wherever he goes but you got to be happy .

I agree based on some of the subtle things he and his mom have said on twitter. Having a nice shiny new locker & practice room seems to be the deciding factor at this point. I get it and best of luck!

Brands will have Henson ready for Sokol when that day comes. I think Wyatt's quote about how he hears his Dad when the Brands speak says all we need to know about this kid. He gets it!

Have you ever heard the song "Unanswered Prayers"?

Last edited:
I agree based on some of the subtle things he and his mom have said on twitter. Having a nice shiny new locker & practice room seems to be the deciding factor at this point. I get it and best of luck!

Brands will have Henson ready for Sokol when that day comes. I think Wyatt's quote about how he hears his Dad when the Brands speak says all we need to know about this kid. He gets it!

I don’t think Henson(41) and Sokol(49) will be at the same weight. We could really use a 49 in this class and I think we get one.

Seems a little premature to be running the kid and his mom down at this time. Or ever, really, but particularly now.

Big haul coming gentlemen. I believe it will be the staffs best class ever.
giphy.gif

Seems a little premature to be running the kid and his mom down at this time. Or ever, really, but particularly now.

I'm not running anything down. Its a fact that a new practice facility is a huge factor in why he decommited.

Im not running anything down. Its a fact that a new practice facility is a big factor. Like I also said I get that.

But carry on trying to police this board on a daily basis...its adorable!

Your post reads otherwise. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I disagreed with you writing them off and your logic behind it. So that's board policing? OK.

Your post reads otherwise. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I disagreed with you writing them off and your logic behind it. So that's board policing? OK.

Dont you have a life. Dude I post a reply and a minute later I edit because maybe I was being a dick. But within that minute you have already replied. Hey I check this board daily but you mouth breathe it in. Take a day off.

Go buy a horse and move to the mountains and stop bothering people.

Dont you have a life. Dude I post a reply and a minute later I edit because maybe I was being a dick. But within that minute you have already replied. Hey I check this board daily but you mouth breathe it in. Take a day off.

Go buy a horse and move to the mountains and stop bothering people.

And you replied to my post two minutes after I replied to yours in one. Interesting that one minute the difference between not having a life and having one. You really do not like having your opinion questioned, do you? You frequently lash out instead of engaging in the debate.

Yeah I was wondering about that also. I had to read your original post a few times because I couldn’t find anything derogatory at all.

"Sometimes I thank God for Unanswered Prayers..." Certainly that's not said with any level of respect to the Sokols. Especially when you consider they just visited Iowa yesterday and he remains uncommitted.

Yeah I was wondering about that also. I had to read your original post a few times because I couldn’t find anything derogatory at all.

Thanks, I thought the whole I get that and good luck thing implied that.

Seems Sokol loves the new state of the art practice room. I dont blame the kid the same as I would hope the newer Iowa football practice facility helps our football team land recruits.

This stuff is a big deal.

Im not running the kid down but its was refreshing to hear Wyatt say he choose iowa because the coaches remind him of his dad. Coaching is his #1 priority. To me thats what makes iowa special and thats why Spencer knew Iowa was the right choice even if it wasnt the easy one.
And you replied to my post two minutes after I replied to yours in one. Interesting that one minute the difference between not having a life and having one. You really do not like having your opinion questioned, do you? You frequently lash out instead of engaging in the debate.

"Sometimes I thank God for Unanswered Prayers..." Certainly that's not said with any level of respect to the Sokols. Especially when you consider they just visited Iowa yesterday and he remains uncommitted.

Well you obviously don't understand the song. It wasnt a hate song about the girl that got away.

You’re looking for something to be offended by. It’s really sad.

Reactions: MitchLL and Gobblin
tOSU must have the campus visit thing down to a science. I know from talking with Warner's high school coach that he loved tOSU when he visited, but they did not have any money for him because of Colin Moore being in that spot. It is quite possible: if Moore was not at tOSU, Warner would be. I can see where Sokol would also love the place, after taking a visit.

tOSU must have the campus visit thing down to a science. I know from talking with Warner's high school coach that he loved tOSU when he visited, but they did not have any money for him because of Colin Moore being in that spot. It is quite possible: if Moore was not at tOSU, Warner would be. I can see where Sokol would also love the place, after taking a visit.
I know people in general are in to shiny new shit and what have you, but the fact of the matter is shiny new shit is "old" in a couple of weeks. Same old, same old at that point, but whatever floats a person's boat I guess.

Reactions: lookleft goright
I know people in general are in to shiny new shit and what have you, but the fact of the matter is shiny new shit is "old" in a couple of weeks. Same old, same old at that point, but whatever floats a person's boat I guess.

Exactly. Research suggests that facilities have very little to do with attracting recruits, high school, college, and otherwise. Better stated, relationships are the key, and most significant, ingredient when it comes to attracting and retaining. Not saying at all that new isn't good. Just as long as it serves a purpose. Which old stuff can do. I find it refreshing that a study like this shows that people and relationships matter, and will always matter, more than bricks and mortar. Put another way: "My time @ ______ was awesome, I'll never forget those facilities!" Said no one. Ever. It is always about the relationships b/t coaches, team mates, fans, and families.

I agree. That is one of the reasons we always buy our cars used. I am not agreeing with anyone's choice, I am just saying that Ryan can either really impress kids, he has his campus visits down to a science that gets results, or the place is incredibly impressive. Those kind of things never mattered to me but I am guessing they do to a lot of kids, and parents: well who knows.

Exactly. Research suggests that facilities have very little to do with attracting recruits, high school, college, and otherwise. Better stated, relationships are the key, and most significant, ingredient when it comes to attracting and retaining. Not saying at all that new isn't good. Just as long as it serves a purpose. Which old stuff can do. I find it refreshing that a study like this shows that people and relationships matter, and will always matter, more than bricks and mortar. Put another way: "My time @ ______ was awesome, I'll never forget those facilities!" Said no one. Ever. It is always about the relationships b/t coaches, team mates, fans, and families.

If facilities have little impact, why are major colleges spending gobs of money on them?

You got a source for that? Not disagreeing or doubting you. I'm genuinely interested in whatever research has been done on that.

Reactions: slushhead
If facilities have little impact, why are major colleges spending gobs of money on them?
You got a source for that? Not disagreeing or doubting you. I'm genuinely interested in whatever research has been done on that.

Oh yes, MilliGinja. I do need a hobby! Touche. I am a teacher and coach and very much believe in buying in for the right reasons. Not at all saying new facilities can't be a part of that, it is simply baffling to me - baffling - that academic institutions are constructing things like this when it has long been known that people are where the focus of investment should be. I think a lot of us on here understand that and appreciate the value of sport for what it is, and are wise enough to know the difference.

Hockey study showing facilities did not move the needle: https://eric.ed.gov/?id=EJ999405

A study from the football and basketball world found similar results: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08841241.2018.1478924?journalCode=wmhe20

Counterpoint on small schools: https://www.athleticbusiness.com/Ma...acilities-boost-small-college-enrollment.html

most studies begin with a premise and shape the facts to fit that premise. if you don't think facilities matter you are crazy.
Of course they do, no one wants to practice in a run down shithole, small hot and cramped space.......oh wait, Gable's teams won 20 Big Ten Titles and 15 NCAA Titles calling just such a facility Home.

I guess that might be where the relationship thing comes into play.

And don't tell me it's different now. It isn't. There has always been an arms race between the haves, and putting distance between them and the have not's.

But then again, money grows on trees for new facilities for every sport, so what the hell.

most studies begin with a premise and shape the facts to fit that premise. if you don't think facilities matter you are crazy.

Fitting the facts to the premise is something that is not a study. I don't know what it is, but it isn't a study. And no right minded body will fund something like that. Studies begin with investigators doing background research, then testing a hypothesis, then collect data, and then we are all smarter, b/c we learn. And in this case, it was learned that facilities don't matter as much as one might think, and sometimes very little, relative to the human components. A pretty compelling piece of information, given the amount of $$ spent on these things. Which I think warrants another study! See? Science is awesome. But to the point, TnT are doing the job they are doing b/c of who they are.

Fitting the facts to the premise is something that is not a study. I don't know what it is, but it isn't a study. And no right minded body will fund something like that. Studies begin with investigators doing background research, then testing a hypothesis, then collect data, and then we are all smarter, b/c we learn.

It’s called the “MAGA Scientific Method”. Will be learnt in schools bigly.

This reminds me of when my wife always points out my farts in public publicly. As I point out to her if she would just keep quiet about it everyone would wonder who did it vs. knowing I did it.

Not today. I may have to rethink that pick. I believe Paddy, Sokol, & Reyna all still have other visits scheduled. Ayala and Rathjen are both going to UNC next week. That will be Rathjen’s last visit, but I believe Drake still has one more. I’m going to change my pick to Rathjen. Kick loves the Hawks!
I first said Reyna, then Rathjen. I’m doing pretty good.

Reactions: MitchLL and el dub
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT