ADVERTISEMENT

Next Years Team

You can't look at these things in a vacuum. The Stat that matters when Joe T was starting was wins and losses, and there weren't enough wins and too many losses. I love Joe T, and I think he has starter talent. He isn't a sure-fire-build-your-program-around guy, but can play. So for every player not named Keegan Murray or Luka Garza, it is about complimentary talents.

I love onions and I also love strawberries, but, I don't love the two together. I love strawberries more than I like peppers, but peppers pair so much better than strawberries do. Same analogy in basketball. Playing Joe T with JBo left us with 2 small guards and JBo had to play the 2 because JoeT is a much better place then a 2 because of his inconsistent shooting. The size and lack of quickness of JBo really left our back court as a defensive liability. But for this team to have the best chance to win games, it was better to keep JBo's shooting rather than Joe T's quickness.

Enter Perkins, who is much bigger, can defend bigger guards, can rebound, can handle, can shoot better than Joe T, and so him pairing with JBo really allows either to play the point and either to play the 2 depending on the match up. Perk is the best player on the team to take defending guards off the dribble and finish at the rim.

But saying that doesn't mean that Joe T doesn't have unique talents as well, as he does. That is why I think he plays so much better with Sandfort, because he can still play the 1, but Sandfort can handle the bigger guards and small forwards, and Sandfort can shoot. I think Joe T pairs really well with Perk as well for the same reasons, although without JBo on the floor you lose a court-stretcher, experience and the clutch gene. Jbo is really good at getting into the offense, with speed but not out of control, and getting good shots.

I love the fact that Joe T has a great role and is really playing well in it. And I give him all the credit in the world for taking off and running with it, and Fran for, however he did it, to get him to believe on the importance of it.
Agreed, and I also think that Joe and Ahron played well together. They were nasty defending the perimeter, able to duck down for quick doubles and get back out very quickly.

Joe pairs up well with everyone at the guard spots but he plays so hard that he'll need rests. Ahron and him at the point next year will allow Bowen to come along without being rushed. If Bowen shows something early, he can get in the rotation. Otherwise he'll have a year to just learn.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
I'm not up to speed on everyone... what do Bowen and Dix look like?
Bowen and Dix are both pretty high level athletes.......Bowen, think a better jumping Ulis with more offensive/scoring. Dix....we have to see how he heals up. Both his athleticism and his injury remind me of Paul Lusk.....who was probably before your time. Lusk was a pretty good athlete, who suffered a break very similar to what happened to Dix. He didn't return to his pre injury athleticism after he healed and transferred out.

If Dix is 100% healed.....he's got some explosion to him to go with a good 6' 5/6".....

Bowen and Dix are both pretty high level athletes.......Bowen, think a better jumping Ulis with more offensive/scoring. Dix....we have to see how he heals up. Both his athleticism and his injury remind me of Paul Lusk.....who was probably before your time. Lusk was a pretty good athlete, who suffered a break very similar to what happened to Dix. He didn't return to his pre injury athleticism after he healed and transferred out.

If Dix is 100% healed.....he's got some explosion to him to go with a good 6' 5/6".....
That Lusk injury was gruesome. I still cringe just thinking about it.

Assuming Connor & Keegan do not come back.

1- Toussaint, Ulis, Bowen
2- Perkins, Sandfort, Dix
3- Patrick, Sandfort, Kris
4- Kris, Rebraca
5- Rebraca, Ogundele, Mulvey

May need to hit the portal for a forward?

Isn't Rebraca a senior? He's 24 years old.

Definitely. But I don’t think Fran likes or uses the portal much. He clearly appreciates and values loyalty and togetherness. Not saying it’s right/wrong but I don’t ever expect us to get a big time portal player for a # of reasons.

I think we just have to be pretty realistic about what a mid-major-transfer big is going to give us. FR was almost a double-double machine at North Dakota. And while it’s true that we didn’t ask him to score a whole lot, we’d have really struggled if we relied on him too much. So basically, are we realistically going to get a guy who is an upgrade over Ogundele and Mulvey? Rebraca is not leaps and bounds better than those two, he’s just WAY more experienced.

Reactions: BBHawk
Assuming Keegan goes pro and assuming his brother doesn't, Kris slides into Keegan's PF slot.

Starters
PG - Joe T
SG - Tony P
SF - Pat M
PF - Kris M
C - Filip R
Tony, Pat, and Kris as scorers. Joe and Tony on D. That's a decent starting lineup.

Backups
PG - Ulis / Bowen
SG - Ulis / Dix(if healthy?)
SF - Sandfort
PF - Mulvey(can he play PF?)
C - Mulvey / Ogundele
Sandfort is the only experienced scorer out of this bunch with Ulis having potential to be a scorer. This means we need to be looking at a shorter rotation among 1-4.

Guards: I think we're in good shape here. Shooting will drop off, but defense should ratchet up.
Forwards: Good starters but we have some depth issues with only Sandfort as a backup that should get good minutes. Yes I know he's listed as a guard, but he's sized and plays more like a SF for us.
Bigs: Undersized starter. Backups of Mulvey and Ogundele won't be ready to play starters minutes next year. Honestly, I think the best we can hope for is 15 minutes combined out of the two of them. And with the light depth at forward, we can't rely on Kris Murray coming in at the 5 to go small ball.

I think we have a hole that could be filled with a transfer forward that can swing between SF and PF. Otherwise, if we could find a transfer shot blocking center to come in, I'd consider moving Filip down to backup PF.

If he wants to run the show and get shots and 30 min a game, it’s going to be in the Valley or Summit League.

I just think it’s really hard not to have Sandfort as a starter. That starting 5 just doesn’t space the floor enough in this day and age. Kris is your only reliable volume 3 shooter and the 1-3 starters have never shown themselves to be enough of a threat that’s going to allow them to slash and drive. Sure, those guys take and make the occasional 3, but that’s pretty much only when they’re being given them wide open. And there’s a reason why they’re wide open
I agree that Sandfort should start but in place of who, Patrick? Maybe so, but Fran likes to
Isn't Rebraca a senior? He's 24 years old.
He has a covid year to use.

I don't know how many reasons there are to tap the portal, but I can think of three quickly, not in any particular order ...

1. Fill a need right away
2. Fill a gap in recruiting for the future.
3. Grab a top talent.

I'm not sure about #1 and #2, but Iowa is hot💥 right now - maybe a big time talent looking for a new home would consider Iowa City? I mean, fast paced, green lights awarded easily, great team chemistry, B1G - Iowa has to look dam good right now to players, right?

Gimmie a top talent at any position - Fran will make it work.

Is it out of the realm of possibility that Fran calls TJD to see if he wants to be a grad transfer for the Hawks?

We could kill 2 birds with one stone, there. Great post play and rebounding PLUS we don’t have to face him again!

That guy just torches us.

I don't know how many reasons there are to tap the portal, but I can think of three quickly, not in any particular order ...

1. Fill a need right away
2. Fill a gap in recruiting for the future.
3. Grab a top talent.

I'm not sure about #1 and #2, but Iowa is hot💥 right now - maybe a big time talent looking for a new home would consider Iowa City? I mean, fast paced, green lights awarded easily, great team chemistry, B1G - Iowa has to look dam good right now to players, right?

Gimmie a top talent at any position - Fran will make it work.
Ideal would be Pack from KSU(Weber out) and Shaw who verbaled to Mizzou changes his mind with their coach gone, too. I think Rebraca, Kris and Shaw would be plenty inside with Mulvey and Josh in reserve against team with huge center like Purdue

Is it out of the realm of possibility that Fran calls TJD to see if he wants to be a grad transfer for the Hawks?

We could kill 2 birds with one stone, there. Great post play and rebounding PLUS we don’t have to face him again!

Calls him up? Like do something illegal like recruiting a player enrolled at another school?

Yeah, right.

Riley was an espn 4* and top 100 player in his class, before he reclassified for 2021 enrollment. You can tell from his HS video that he's going to be a good player just needs time to get stronger and better.

Assuming Filip and Kris return, and I think both will, that's two spots. Actually, think we have more depth at C than the common opinion.

Patrick and Tony will start. Joey T should start, I think he is much better than Ahron at this point.

Ahron and Payton are the only known forwards/guards on the bench right now. Dasonte will be good in time but we do not really know how good or how long it will take to be good. Josh Dix may never work out for health reasons.

Need to hit the portal hard for a versatile 6'8" guy and a good shooting guard. A trip to the Sweet 16 should improve our odds a little out in the marketplace.

Ideal would be Pack from KSU(Weber out) and Shaw who verbaled to Mizzou changes his mind with their coach gone, too. I think Rebraca, Kris and Shaw would be plenty inside with Mulvey and Josh in reserve against team with huge center like Purdue
Liked Shaw a lot as a recruit but I think at this point he has to reach out to Fran, not the other way round. We have some nice offers out for the following year and I’m not sure where Omaha Bilew is in the process

Reactions: BBHawk
I don't think he's that kind of guy. I think he stays and fights. He'll get solid minutes off the bench for his D.
Joes a solid player, but, the Hawks just took a major step winning the Big10 and staying at that level will be a huge challenge. Can Joe keep us there to stay?

Joes a solid player, but, the Hawks just took a major step winning the Big10 and staying at that level will be a huge challenge. Can Joe keep us there to stay?
Losing Keegan will hurt, but I think Iowa will be strong next season especially if Conner decides to come back. Need to add a big in the portal and maybe another G for depth. I expect Kris to make a huge jump like Keegan did. Maybe not to leading the BIG in scoring but a significant jump. Josh O might also be ready next season to step up which will help also. I think Iowa finishes in the top 4 in conference -- higher if we can add the right transfers via the portal.

Agreed, and I also think that Joe and Ahron played well together. They were nasty defending the perimeter, able to duck down for quick doubles and get back out very quickly.

Joe pairs up well with everyone at the guard spots but he plays so hard that he'll need rests. Ahron and him at the point next year will allow Bowen to come along without being rushed. If Bowen shows something early, he can get in the rotation. Otherwise he'll have a year to just learn.
I wonder if Joey-T only played @ 10 minutes yesterday because Fran was killing two birds with one stone - allowing the hot/hometown boy to bring it home and saving Joey-T's energy for the Big Dance? Just spit ballin' here....

I wonder if Joey-T only played @ 10 minutes yesterday because Fran was killing two birds with one stone - allowing the hot/hometown boy to bring it home and saving Joey-T's energy for the Big Dance? Just spit ballin' here....
Wrong thread, bro. This discussion is about next year's team.

Respect the kid for staying home and trying to turn Indiana program around, even coming back this year so he could get to play in NCAA's.... but man, if he would have signed with Iowa and teamed up with Garza for 2 years and now the Murray's. Iowa might be coming off their 3rd Big Ten Title and looking to get back to the Final Four for 2nd straight year ;)

Not saying Fran would do it, but I think it's pretty naive to think that coaches don't have ways of reaching out to players
I realize that there are unethical coaches out the but it's probably more the opposite most of the time where the players have someone inquire as to whether there is mutual interest. You can bet that was the case for a few of the recent transfers from Iowa to other schools whose names I will not mention. Coaches will be receptive, but it's really easy to get trapped into doing something illegal otherwise. Most will advise that the kid cut ties with his school (enter the portal) and then they will recruit him.

I hope that Iowa fans don’t expect Kris to automatically become Keegan. That would be so unfair. I expect him to be good but let’s not put unreal expectations on him. I would like an athletic rebounder from the portal. Much like the start of this year I expect next year to be a rebuild. We lose a lot of scoring and Payton can’t replace all of it.

I’m hoping to enjoy a deep run that all Hawkeyes can enjoy in the NCAA. Seasons like this one don’t grow on trees.

Assuming Connor & Keegan do not come back.

1- Toussaint, Ulis, Bowen
2- Perkins, Sandfort, Dix
3- Patrick, Sandfort, Kris
4- Kris, Rebraca
5- Rebraca, Ogundele, Mulvey

May need to hit the portal for a forward?
I agree. Ideally I’d like to see Rebraca at the four and Ogundele/Mulvey splitting time at the 5. Ogundele looks decent in limited time but needs to really improve his conditioning.

I agree. Ideally I’d like to see Rebraca at the four and Ogundele/Mulvey splitting time at the 5. Ogundele looks decent in limited time but needs to really improve his conditioning.

Kris will be PF starter if he returns and doesn't instead go to G-league. I think Rebraca will play some backup minutes at PF next year but I don't think he will have much success...he's reasonable athlete and he can defend the position, but he doesn't have a dribble drive game or a 3pt shot or much of a post game...if he has offensive skills, he hasn't shown them yet.

I kind of like the 6'8 athletic Murray types that can handle and shoot and defend... lets hope Fran finds one in next recruiting class. Portal seems unlikely.

Riley was an espn 4* and top 100 player in his class, before he reclassified for 2021 enrollment. You can tell from his HS video that he's going to be a good player just needs time to get stronger and better.

Assuming Filip and Kris return, and I think both will, that's two spots. Actually, think we have more depth at C than the common opinion.

Patrick and Tony will start. Joey T should start, I think he is much better than Ahron at this point.

Ahron and Payton are the only known forwards/guards on the bench right now. Dasonte will be good in time but we do not really know how good or how long it will take to be good. Josh Dix may never work out for health reasons.

Need to hit the portal hard for a versatile 6'8" guy and a good shooting guard. A trip to the Sweet 16 should improve our odds a little out in the marketplace.
Iowa ‘s one the very few schools that have a magnet. Let’s not assume Keegan goes NBA. Imagine where he’ll be next year after learning a few goodies. I know the NBA is anxious to have him now but in 2023 they’ll be salivating.

I hope that Iowa fans don’t expect Kris to automatically become Keegan. That would be so unfair. I expect him to be good but let’s not put unreal expectations on him. I would like an athletic rebounder from the portal. Much like the start of this year I expect next year to be a rebuild. We lose a lot of scoring and Payton can’t replace all of it.

I’m hoping to enjoy a deep run that all Hawkeyes can enjoy in the NCAA. Seasons like this one don’t grow on trees.
I think that Kris is probably looking forward to the opportunity to be "the man." Kenyon has previously pointed out on this board that Kris was statistically the better player during their days at CR Prairie. I would guess that he has the same quiet confidence in his abilities that Keegan does.

Kris will be PF starter if he returns and doesn't instead go to G-league. I think Rebraca will play some backup minutes at PF next year but I don't think he will have much success...he's reasonable athlete and he can defend the position, but he doesn't have a dribble drive game or a 3pt shot or much of a post game...if he has offensive skills, he hasn't shown them yet.

I kind of like the 6'8 athletic Murray types that can handle and shoot and defend... lets hope Fran finds one in next recruiting class. Portal seems unlikely.
Kris won't leave Iowa to play in the G-league.

This. Rebraca isnt even close to a 4 in todays game. I hope to god he only plays center.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT