ADVERTISEMENT

Nic Bouzakis to Ohio State

butchinmi

HB MVP
Mar 20, 2015
There was some talk here about Bouazkis and Mendez were a package deal. If so, that's not good news for the Hawks.

Edit: And if that happens, Ohio State ends up with #1, #2 and #3 on the Big Board. Tommy Ryan has the $ lined up for the NIL.

• Wow
Reactions: Torg
There was some talk here about Bouazkis and Mendez were a package deal. If so, that's not good news for the Hawks.
Pretty sure Bouzakis wanted to go somewhere they had a womens program to for his sister, so is Ohio ST looking at adding a womans program? Didnt Brands mention there a couple other B1G schools talking about it? Thought we may have a leg up landing Bousakis with the announcement of the ladies team.

I was hoping to land him, but I did hear that he had a good relationship with Tom Ryan.
Im not sure where the Buckeyes are with a women’s program, but I can see them jumping on board.

Edit: And if that happens, Ohio State ends up with #1, #2 and #3 on the Big Board. Tommy Ryan has the $ lined up for the NIL.
Come on, you have no basis for that statement. Bouzakis is a big get for the Buckeyes, but, he is from PA and it is much closer to home. From a school and facilities standpoint, Ohio state can hold their own... Bouzakis made the Jr. World Team in Greco and Ohio State supports the guys who want to wrestle that style in spring/summer. And the connection of shared loss (Ryan's son, Bouzakis brother).

A general comment … but I am constantly amazed at many of these top kids are looking elsewhere (landing elsewhere) than Iowa.
You have to take being an Iowa fan out of the equation. Not all kids grow up being Iowa Hawkeye fans.

Recruiting can be more of a salesman game than anything. Tom Ryan is obviously very good at that. They’ve had more recruiting busts (top guys that don’t pan out) than any other program I can think of in the past decade, but he continues to attract the big time recruits.

Reactions: Rustys Dad
So who failed here? The greatest recruiter (according to Todd Conner) in the country M* or did Tom just fail to close?

You have to take being an Iowa fan out of the equation. Not all kids grow up being Iowa Hawkeye fans.

Recruiting can be more of a salesman game than anything. Tom Ryan is obviously very good at that. They’ve had more recruiting busts (top guys that don’t pan out) than any other program I can think of in the past decade, but he continues to attract the big time recruits.
I can see where Ryan would make a recruit feel at ease and comfortable and wanted. (Trust me - that is a big deal) I am not so sure about Brands or M* in that category.

Iowa gets a lot of recruits on persona and style, tradition of winning, etc, but not so many on the recruiting process IMHO.

I think most people have a preconceived idea of what Iowa is before they arrive for a visit and I think they are more open minded and curious when visiting other programs.

I also think the the reason Iowa gets as many transfers as they do is that as the kids get wiser and mature, they can see a bit more clearly what the college wrestling experience is all about and they have the confidence to give it a try in the Iowa room.

A general comment … but I am constantly amazed at many of these top kids are looking elsewhere (landing elsewhere) than Iowa.
No offense intended, but I'm amazed that you would be amazed by this. You only have 10 roster spots for Starters over a 4 year on the mat timeframe. The math doesn't add up to get all the "top recruits" year after year and have them sit behind a Spencer Lee for instance. The top recruits want to Start for 4 years, not all of them are good enough to do that, depending on where they go.

You can do the red shirt or send them to the OTC or whatever, but sooner or later they have to and want to wrestle. Ohio State needs plenty of help at the moment, that's a good recruiting pitch from an established Program (not sure how that relates to these recruits, and you do have a little weight class flexibility, etc.).

Throw in proximity to Family and other variables it just doesn't work that way all the time.

Last edited:
I can see where Ryan would make a recruit feel at ease and comfortable and wanted. (Trust me - that is a big deal) I am not so sure about Brands or M* in that category.

Iowa gets a lot of recruits on persona and style, tradition of winning, etc, but not so many on the recruiting process IMHO.

I think most people have a preconceived idea of what Iowa is before they arrive for a visit and I think they are more open minded and curious when visiting other programs.

I also think the the reason Iowa gets as many transfers as they do is that as the kids get wiser and mature, they can see a bit more clearly what the college wrestling experience is all about and they have the confidence to give it a try in the Iowa room.
I have some of the same thoughts.

At the end of the day, and this is my opinion, there are just better recruiters out there than Iowa. Iowa has improved but not at the same level as Penn State or tOSU.

Reactions: rider57 and fronk71
Come on, you have no basis for that statement. Bouzakis is a big get for the Buckeyes, but, he is from PA and it is much closer to home. From a school and facilities standpoint, Ohio state can hold their own... Bouzakis made the Jr. World Team in Greco and Ohio State supports the guys who want to wrestle that style in spring/summer. And the connection of shared loss (Ryan's son, Bouzakis brother).
bman546 - You are right, I have no basis for it. Just as you have no basis for what you mentioned. Does closer to home mean anything to him? Do you know they connected on the shared loss? If you know them personally, then I digress.

This isn't a fact board, it's a forum of ideas (or maybe even throwing shit against the wall board). With that being said, I wasn't saying it as a negative to Ryan. I truly believe he is probably working his ass off along with Ohio State on how to make the NIL the most attractive in the country for all sports at their school. Just as all schools should be or they will be left behind.

My son got concussed by Bouzakis at Disney. Chopped him so hard in the back of the head he went numb. Pinned in 13 seconds. I’ll save the insider talk and leave it between them.

Reactions: el dub
Keep in mind Ohio State had 3 Greco finalists who are all still in college at the latest USA World team trials. I'm sure that didn't hurt their chances with Bouzakis as bman546 said.

bman546 - You are right, I have no basis for it. Just as you have no basis for what you mentioned. Does closer to home mean anything to him? Do you know they connected on the shared loss? If you know them personally, then I digress.

This isn't a fact board, it's a forum of ideas (or maybe even throwing shit against the wall board). With that being said, I wasn't saying it as a negative to Ryan. I truly believe he is probably working his ass off along with Ohio State on how to make the NIL the most attractive in the country for all sports at their school. Just as all schools should be or they will be left behind.
bman546 has much more basis for what he said than you realize.

At the end of the day, and this is my opinion, there are just better recruiters out there than Iowa. Iowa has improved but not at the same level as Penn State or tOSU.
In many cases it's a proximity thing, IMO. Recruiting is much easier when it's in your backyard. Cael didn't become a better recruiter when he left Iowa State, he couldn't beat Iowa for Midwest recruits and took his ball and left to somewhere where proximity helped him. Plus he's a good Coach, and he recruits nationwide, but he still can't compete with Iowa around Iowa for the most part.

You had the entire Lee Family move to Iowa. That's rare, but they could do it so they did. Others have sat out to establish residency in Iowa to help their financial situation.

During Gable's run, Iowa had a huge Midwest contingent, and a great run of Iowa studs, and mixed in some Banach's, Kistler's, etc. That footprint has changed currently, but Pennsylvania and Ohio were hotbeds then just as they are now. Ohio State and Penn State upped their game, but all their kids aren't from the Home state either, even with the somewhat massive amount of local talent they have to draw from.

Iowa is the Defending National Champion, 2x Defending Big Ten Champion (which contains Penn State and Ohio State), so I would say our recruiting is just fine.

How did TOSU do last year at nationals? I wonder which team had the better recruits. Oh yes, how have they done the past few years as compared to Iowa? It makes me laugh out loud how people over react with each top kid coming off the board. Let's see how it all shakes out and then there are transfers: Eirman, DeSanto, Lugo etc. and yes, Iowa are the defending Team National Champions

How did TOSU do last year at nationals? I wonder which team had the better recruits. Oh yes, how have they done the past few years as compared to Iowa? It makes me laugh out loud how people over react with each top kid coming off the board. Let's see how it all shakes out and then there are transfers: Eirman, DeSanto, Lugo etc. and yes, Iowa are the defending Team National Champions
This. Lugo should be the poster child of Iowa recruiting. He was a solid guy elsewhere and was turned into the title favorite.

Reactions: vhsalum

he basically repeated all of the things Willie said on his show this morning and he has the inside connections. that's about a good a source as possible.

No offense intended, but I'm amazed that you would be amazed by this. You only have 10 roster spots for Starters over a 4 year on the mat timeframe. The math doesn't add up to get all the "top recruits" year after year *and have them sit behind a Spencer Lee for instance. The top recruits want to Start for 4 years, not all of them are good enough to do that, depending on where they go.

You can do the red shirt or send them to the OTC or whatever, but sooner or later they have to and want to wrestle. Ohio State needs plenty of help at the moment, that's a good recruiting pitch from an established Program (not sure how that relates to these recruits, and you do have a little weight class flexibility, etc.).

Throw in proximity to Family and other variables it just doesn't work that way all the time.

* - except for Penn St

Reactions: HawkMD
I think you missed the part where I said tOSU has had more busts in the past decade than any program I can think of with top wrestlers not panning out. I’m talking about recruiting the P4P’s or big boarders. Whatever you want to call it.
No one does a better job of that than PSU or tOSU. Getting the kids on campus. If we’re talking development, I would take Iowa 10/10 over tOSU.

It makes me laugh out loud every time you over react when someone posts an opinion that isn’t pro Iowa. And how did I over react? I said PSU and tOSU are better recruiters. That opinion didn’t change with the Bouzakis commitment.

• Haha
Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
No offense intended, but I'm amazed that you would be amazed by this. You only have 10 roster spots for Starters over a 4 year on the mat timeframe. The math doesn't add up to get all the "top recruits" year after year and have them sit behind a Spencer Lee for instance. The top recruits want to Start for 4 years, not all of them are good enough to do that, depending on where they go.

Good follow up. More of a general comment I guess. We are along the lines of an Alabama or Georgia in football. I understand the scholarship availability. Maybe it just “seems” like the OSU’s, PSU’s, Michigan’s, etc are getting the heavy hitters…

Again, just more of a “that’s what it seems like” comment…

In many cases it's a proximity thing, IMO. Recruiting is much easier when it's in your backyard. Cael didn't become a better recruiter when he left Iowa State, he couldn't beat Iowa for Midwest recruits and took his ball and left to somewhere where proximity helped him. Plus he's a good Coach, and he recruits nationwide, but he still can't compete with Iowa around Iowa for the most part.

You had the entire Lee Family move to Iowa. That's rare, but they could do it so they did. Others have sat out to establish residency in Iowa to help their financial situation.

During Gable's run, Iowa had a huge Midwest contingent, and a great run of Iowa studs, and mixed in some Banach's, Kistler's, etc. That footprint has changed currently, but Pennsylvania and Ohio were hotbeds then just as they are now. Ohio State and Penn State upped their game, but all their kids aren't from the Home state either, even with the somewhat massive amount of local talent they have to draw from.

Iowa is the Defending National Champion, 2x Defending Big Ten Champion (which contains Penn State and Ohio State), so I would say our recruiting is just fine.
This is a big year for us, recruitment wise.
Let’s hope we get Garvin, Riggins & Voelker. Jesuroga and Tate N the year after. It’s been awhile since we had guys in state who can make difference. We certainly can’t afford to whiff on these guys. We also need our current roster to bring guys in from PA and Ohio.
we need to stay on top.
Gable recruited guys who wanted to win Olympic & World Gold Medals. These are the guys we still want and need.
Since Spencer and the gang came in, this is the time we have been pointing to where it’s suppose to all come together. HWC, Hawkeye National Championships, multi National Champs in a season and recruiting. A return to dominance. Anything less will be disappointing. We are trending in the right direction.

The truth is Iowa backed off of him

This I believe. Not because he’s not a stud. He is and a really good get for tOSU or any other program to include us. But we are jammed at 125-141. I do think they really like what they are seeing out of Schriever and Henson. Add in Ybarra and we have solid depth as well. If they are going to invest more $$ in those weights, they are probably all in on Mendez.

Rt now, worried about where the chips are going to fall at 49-65. 57 is going to be a hole after Young unless a guy like Rathjen or Reyna can both grow in size and improve. I really like Rathjen post Max or if he can put on weight. Need to see Reyna after a full RS year.

Inspired by a couple of the last posts; This is probably a best case scenario, but certainly a wish list for the next couple of years.

125: Ayala /Ybarra {Nate J}
133: Ayala/Schriever
141 : Schriever/Henson {Mendez}
149: Henson/Rathjen {Mendez}
157: Rathjen/Reyna {Garvin}
165: Kennedy (?) {Riggins}
174: Brands {G Arnold}
184 Assad {Tate N}
197: Warner {Voelker}
285: Cass/Keuter

Inspired by a couple of the last posts; This is probably a best case scenario, but certainly a wish list for the next couple of years.

125: Ayala /Ybarra {Nate J}
133: Ayala/Schriever
141 : Schriever/Henson {Mendez}
149: Henson/Rathjen {Mendez}
157: Rathjen/Reyna {Garvin}
165: Kennedy (?) {Riggins}
174: Brands {G Arnold}
184 Assad {Tate N}
197: Warner {Voelker}
285: Cass/Keuter
I don't believe Iowa has much of a chance with Garvin, so I'd scratch him off the list

Still laughing:). More so now than before.

I agree that over the past 8 years that PSU has been winning the recruiting wars. Over the past two years I guess recruiting didn't compute for these results or the team that won lost the recruiting wars but found a way to win anyway. Where was Ohio State in 2021? Are you kidding me.

2020 at Piscataway, N.J.1. Iowa 157.52. Nebraska 1323. Ohio State 1124. Penn State 1075. Purdue 836. Northwestern 79.57. Michigan738. Minnesota 63.59. Wisconsin 62.510. Michigan State 5711. Illinois 4912. Rutgers 25.513 . Indiana 14.5, Maryland 0

2021 at University Park, Pa.1. Iowa 159.52. Penn State 124.03. Nebraska 105.54. Michigan 92.05. Minnesota 77.56. Purdue 76.07.Northwestern 74.08. Michigan State 73.59. Ohio State 69.510. Rutgers 52.011. Illinois 32.012. Wisconsin 30.513. Indiana 22. Maryland 2.0

Still laughing:). More so now than before.

I agree that over the past 8 years that PSU has been winning the recruiting wars. Over the past two years I guess recruiting didn't compute for these results or the team that won lost the recruiting wars but found a way to win anyway. Where was Ohio State in 2021? Are you kidding me.

2020 at Piscataway, N.J.1. Iowa 157.52. Nebraska 1323. Ohio State 1124. Penn State 1075. Purdue 836. Northwestern 79.57. Michigan738. Minnesota 63.59. Wisconsin 62.510. Michigan State 5711. Illinois 4912. Rutgers 25.513 . Indiana 14.5, Maryland 0

2021 at University Park, Pa.1. Iowa 159.52. Penn State 124.03. Nebraska 105.54. Michigan 92.05. Minnesota 77.56. Purdue 76.07.Northwestern 74.08. Michigan State 73.59. Ohio State 69.510. Rutgers 52.011. Illinois 32.012. Wisconsin 30.513. Indiana 22. Maryland 2.0
You’ll keep laughing because you’re missing the point. (still)

Again, you can’t dispute that PSU and tOSU get more P4P wrestlers than Iowa. I don’t care where tOSU has placed the last two years. That doesn’t negate that their recruiting has been good. To me that’s development. Iowa develops wrestlers much better in my opinion.

By your logic of copying and pasting scores, Michigan State and Northwestern recruit better than tOSU. Now that will make a guy laugh.

• Haha
Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT