ADVERTISEMENT

Nice analysis contrasting Lester with Iowa's offense under Brian

I think Lester makes the return of Hill less likely. His offense at its best requires an athletic and mobile QB that is a threat to run. That ain't Hill.
Agree....that is why I will hold off judging until I see who trots out to take the snaps in the spring practice with the 1s. We know it won't be Cade as he will be rehabbing. If they run Deacon out there with the 1s then it is KF's offense or we have a bad OC hire.

That’s why I don’t understand some people on here that think we are on good, solid footing in the quarterback room now. Last year, we Cade and Labas and Hill. Labas had looked all right in a bowl game and Hill was an unknown commodity. Labas is now gone, Hill is a known commodity, and Brian didn’t even think to take a look at Lainez during bowl prep. We literally are a Cade injury away from being a .500 ball team.
You mean kinda like last year when Cade went down? Were we a .500 team last year?

It definitely highlights a more aggressive offensive approach with more modern concepts. I don't know that Iowa has the personnel to make it work, but the difference is stark enough that we'll definitely know by halftime of the first game whether it's his offense or Kirk's.
I always get concerned about new offenses, play calling, etc.
I am more encouraged as time marches forward but I will be there for the Spring practice as always (have to have my Bloody Marys and breakfast before hand of course), and my first thing I will be looking at is who is the number 2 QB....since Cade won't be practicing that means who is number 1 at Spring practice, I think most of us know who it CAN'T be.
Hill will be an interesting case study.

Losing 30 - 40 lbs would be a good start

Has the arm strength, needs to work on getting touch on his down field passes. Under better tuteledge who knows what he might do. If he can't reduce fumbles and interceptions, he should shuffle off to buffalo.

Lesters RPO is more about handing off to RB's or going down field than the QB running.

Bottom line, you can't teach that arm strength.

From the article -

"I'm no expert when it comes to building an offense or scheming a passing game, but thankfully, I know people who can explain it to me like I'm 5 years old. One current college assistant who has faced both Lester's Western Michigan offenses and Ferentz's Iowa offenses told me the biggest difference was that, "Iowa schemes plays so their QB doesn't screw things up. Flood concepts with a basic progression of reads. Lester's teams did a better job of scheming a receiver open." Lester's offenses also implemented a lot of run-pass option and ran almost exclusively out of the shotgun. That would be a significant shift from Iowa's current offense where it ran plays out of the shotgun only 42.7% of the time under Ferentz."

Wouldn't that be a welcome change.

Reactions: Drinkin Buddy
For those saying we don't need a mobile qb to run the RPO, really only need to look at the stats that Lester's QBs put up at WMU, while remembering that sacks count toward the rush total.

2018: Wassinik had 162 rushing yards
2019: Wassinik had 319 rushing yards
2020: Eleby: 38 rushing yards
2021: Eleby: 64 rushing yards
2022: Saloupek: 52 rushing yards. Bourget: 154 rushing yards

For arguments sake, Iowas totals

2018: Stanley had 4 rushing yards
2019: Stanley had 7 rushing yards
2020: Petras had -4 rushing yards
2021: Petras had -109 rushing yards
2022: Petras had -184 rushing yards
As you said, you’re playing devil’s advocate, but those numbers suggest he can have success with or without a mobile QB, do they not? Or maybe that’s exactly what you’re saying.

SIAP. Lots of good comparative analytics in this article that should make Hawk fans hopeful if Kirk allows Lester to do his thing.

Guess I'm confused. Why would Kirk hire him and not let him do what he hired him for.

Edit: then in your post #4 you said you think Lester may not have the personnel to pull it off. I believe Brian didn't have the personnel to pull it off either.

Last edited:
As you said, you’re playing devil’s advocate, but those numbers suggest he can have success with or without a mobile QB, do they not? Or maybe that’s exactly what you’re saying.
IMO, and maybe I'm not correct, but having positive yards from a QB in rushing is important to the system.

I'll play devils advocate here only for arguments sake. Do you think Iowa would put up better or worst numbers if they had played in the conference formerly known as the PAC12?
Honestly. Likely the same. When taking a knee is you’re best option doesn’t matter who you play. How many points did Iowa score vs South Dakota state last year on offense. 3 and those may have been set up by the offense
Iowa beats MAC teams not because of scheme but jimmies and joes. Not sure the level of Lester’s play calling makes a bit of difference when you compare yards.
There’s a good chance if Iowa runs the wing t , they may have been better on offense.

Edit to add: wmu likely didn’t have the defense Iowa had that would have given them more advantageous field position.

From the article -

"I'm no expert when it comes to building an offense or scheming a passing game, but thankfully, I know people who can explain it to me like I'm 5 years old. One current college assistant who has faced both Lester's Western Michigan offenses and Ferentz's Iowa offenses told me the biggest difference was that, "Iowa schemes plays so their QB doesn't screw things up. Flood concepts with a basic progression of reads. Lester's teams did a better job of scheming a receiver open." Lester's offenses also implemented a lot of run-pass option and ran almost exclusively out of the shotgun. That would be a significant shift from Iowa's current offense where it ran plays out of the shotgun only 42.7% of the time under Ferentz."

Wouldn't that be a welcome change.
We will know whose offense it is after the first series. If the QB is under center more than once in the first three plays, it is not Lester's offense. But even if the running game isn't Lester's, it will be good to see a passing game at least as well-designed as a good high school team. I swear that some of BF's route combos is what you would run if you WEREN'T trying to get open.

We will know whose offense it is after the first series. If the QB is under center more than once in the first three plays, it is not Lester's offense. But even if the running game isn't Lester's, it will be good to see a passing game at least as well-designed as a good high school team. I swear that some of BF's route combos is what you would run if you WEREN'T trying to get open.
I agree with the second part - I'll give Lester two series to reveal himself. ;)

I feel sorry for Iowa QB's in the last few years - not only did they have no time to throw, they no one to throw it to.

I swear, Iowa receivers aren't as bad as they seem to be - their routes simply suck.

Stoops already had an offer from OU and interviewed at Iowa as a courtesy to his alma mater. I recall hearing he had a very poor interview with Dan Gable.

Remember that sh&tshow of a hiring process? Large, diverse selection panel as opposed to letting the AD do his/her job. Was it the U Pres. who cut off Bowlsby's balls on that one?
He also had people in his ear telling him to take the OU job as it had a higher ceiling.

Well we are about to see in a couple games this fall.
I think the defense will look very good against a Washington team returning 0 offensive starters, and a UCLA squad that wasn’t exactly great on offense last season.

But THIS year, if we had played a PAC 12 schedule, I highly doubt we’re talked about as one of the nation’s very best defenses.

I think the defense will look very good against a Washington team returning 0 offensive starters, and a UCLA squad that wasn’t exactly great on offense last season.

But THIS year, if we had played a PAC 12 schedule, I highly doubt we’re talked about as one of the nation’s very best defenses.
And, possibly not the nation's very worst offense.

Hawks played two of the top 3 defenses, and #13, #21 and #22, #31, #34, and #41. The PAC 12 had 3 teams in the top 30 (AZ was 30th) and 4 teams in the bottom 30.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Like the above post, all this assumes that Lester won’t be forced to scheme so Iowa QBs don’t make mistakes

Vs

Scheme to get a WR open
why not both?
Peyton Manning What GIF by Gatorade

Guess I'm confused. Why would Kirk hire him and not let him do what he hired him for.

Edit: then in your post #4 you said you think Lester may not have the personnel to pull it off. I believe Brian didn't have the personnel to pull it off either.
Other question, Lester is still youngish. He still has one more chance to be a HC somewhere if he's successful here. Why take the job to be KFs yes man? He'll want to run what he knows.

I agree with the second part - I'll give Lester two series to reveal himself. ;)

I feel sorry for Iowa QB's in the last few years - not only did they have no time to throw, they no one to throw it to.

I swear, Iowa receivers aren't as bad as they seem to be - their routes simply suck.
We bring the sideline into the play as an extra defender way, way, waaaaaaaayyyy too often. The quick outs weren’t even “outs”. It was a lazy, rounded off drag but instead of going across the QB’s face, it was a race to the sideline. Infuriating.

I'm not sure why anyone would be confused. Kirk hired a new OC because he had to, not because he wanted to. If Kirk had his way we'd still be looking at Brian coming back to do exactly what they've been doing. To my knowledge he's never even implied that new or different ideas were necessary to revive the offense or even that this offense needed reviving. It's mind boggling.

I really don't want to discuss Brian anymore. Take all of Kirk's worst tendencies on offense and put him in a room with his son to put together a functional offense. We've seen the results of that, and abysmal failure doesn't go far enough to describe the results.

Agree....that is why I will hold off judging until I see who trots out to take the snaps in the spring practice with the 1s. We know it won't be Cade as he will be rehabbing. If they run Deacon out there with the 1s then it is KF's offense or we have a bad OC hire.
No way Lester trots Deacon out there. He knows what a qb looks like.
He might to appease Kirk for some practices but there is no way he will see the field come game time.
😯

I'm not sure why anyone would be confused. Kirk hired a new OC because he had to, not because he wanted to. If Kirk had his way we'd still be looking at Brian coming back to do exactly what they've been doing. To my knowledge he's never even implied that new or different ideas were necessary to revive the offense or even that this offense needed reviving. It's mind boggling.

I really don't want to discuss Brian anymore. Take all of Kirk's worst tendencies on offense and put him in a room with his son to put together a functional offense. We've seen the results of that, and abysmal failure doesn't go far enough to describe the results.
Only way to describe what we witnessed. Zero logic.

Stoops already had an offer from OU and interviewed at Iowa as a courtesy to his alma mater. I recall hearing he had a very poor interview with Dan Gable.

Remember that sh&tshow of a hiring process? Large, diverse selection panel as opposed to letting the AD do his/her job. Was it the U Pres. who cut off Bowlsby's balls on that one?
You mean the hiring process that produced Ferentz? Somebody must have gotten something right

I don’t know if that’s a good gauge. There were many times we saw Iowa come out in shotgun or empty backfield cause we really wanted to pass (poorly)

I honestly don’t know what Brian was trying to accomplish as an OC. We never scratched where it itched. It felt more like an attempt to make sure we passed and ran exactly the same amount of plays for “balance”. I guess you could say Brian and Kirk’s philosophy is to chew up as much clock as possible with our 3 yard outs and slow motion to huddle / LOS

I think the biggest tell will be on 3rd down and 7+ yards. If we see a ****ing draw or screen pass then Kirk is truly in control.

Hayden asked the panel to interview KF before making a decision. They did that as a courtesy to Hayden for his years at Iowa. OU told Stoops need an answer now or the offer was gone.

Reactions: INXS83

Has the arm strength, needs to work on getting touch on his down field passes. Under better tuteledge who knows what he might do. If he can't reduce fumbles and interceptions, he should shuffle off to buffalo.

Lesters RPO is more about handing off to RB's or going down field than the QB running.

A former NFL QB and game analyst said learning to feel pocket pressure and getting rid of the ball was the hardest thing to master. DH doesn't have it. May never.

It absolutely is. KF's main goal is to burn minutes. BF admitted as much.
And can be somewhat successful, if you’re not turning it over, and aren’t going 3 and out every other drive.

It’s a damn miracle they have been winning so many games, considering they have indeed been turning it over and going three and out about 100% of the time. I don’t care who they were playing.

Please let it finally change…the offense part. Not the winning part.

Reactions: uihawk82
Like the above post, all this assumes that Lester won’t be forced to scheme so Iowa QBs don’t make mistakes

Vs

Scheme to get a WR open
Even some movement along the risk axis is a start

PS last year was a real example where you are so risk averse (qb choice, scheme, breadth of plays, etc) that it absolutely backfires. It’s like hitting Pitching Wedge on every shot for 18 holes. Bogey golf is best case. ..No deep balls, defenses loaded the box, lead foot was a sitting duck triggering strip sacks, tons of pressured throws, etc.

And Stoops won a NC. Overall record was 191-48 (.798) and 10 Big12 Championships.
It is hard to compare a coaches winning percentage at OU vs Iowa. OU a blue blood which is a bigger recruiting draw. I think Stoops would have been very successful at Iowa as he had the drive etc.

Stoops may have lost one NChamp by being too aggressive, I think it was a game against Florida when he went for a couple of 4th downs in the red zone and they failed.

But Stoops was more aggressive than Kirk and he allowed his offensive coaches to go total high gear to score amazing amounts of pts. Stoops was a defensive guy and his initial defenses were great but somehow his last few years or maybe last 10 years at OU his defenses went the way of most other Big 12 teams, into the crapper.

A former NFL QB and game analyst said learning to feel pocket pressure and getting rid of the ball was the hardest thing to master. DH doesn't have it. May never.
Well, he's got the getting rid of the ball part down pretty well. Unfortunately because it's a strip sack.

I hope we eliminate the mind boggling / embarrassing in game statistics like

7 straight 3 & outs
6 drives totaling 3 yards
300 mins since last TD etc etc

Believe me or anyone who knows QB throwing mechanics that Lester and a good QB coach will totally change DHill's windup which is more like a major league fastballer. You cant bring the ball down to your knees on the windup etc etc and expect good accuracy let alone not getting the ball stripped from you many times.

I hope Cade is at 100% to start the season, if not I hope we are going with Marco or even Resar on some other qb rather than Hill, unless Hill can totally be remade in his mechanics and maybe mobilitiy

Reactions: INXS83
I think the biggest tell will be on 3rd down and 7+ yards. If we see a ****ing draw or screen pass then Kirk is truly in control.
I do not mind draw plays or screens on 3rd and long once in awhile depending, depending on if you have 4 wideouts taking multiple defenders out of the box. The Detroit Lions the last two years are noted for running for a lot of third and long situations running the ball to get first downs.

If the OC sends a man in motion to indicate man to man pass coverage and you have your 4 receivers sprint down 10 yards and block then you can run the ball.

Believe me or anyone who knows QB throwing mechanics that Lester and a good QB coach will totally change DHill's windup which is more like a major league fastballer. You cant bring the ball down to your knees on the windup etc etc and expect good accuracy let alone not getting the ball stripped from you many times.

I hope Cade is at 100% to start the season, if not I hope we are going with Marco or even Resar on some other qb rather than Hill, unless Hill can totally be remade in his mechanics and maybe mobilitiy
Adding on to your post he should help with development, Nate Stanley when with the Vikings stated that Iowa's coaches do not coach or drill QB Footwork/Fundamentals. So Iowa basically hasn't had an actual QB coach since Greg Davis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT