ADVERTISEMENT

Nice tidbit on Alaric Jackson

Jackson is 6'7'' and 320--how does that translate to guard? And given what they wrote about him, he sounds like a better fit as a right tackle than a guard in the NFL. How many NFL teams take deep drops on a regular basis unless they are play-action passes? None, really. There are fewer speed rushers and more power rushers on the right side of the line, too, so that fits with Jackson moving to right tackle. I'm not saying he couldn't be a good NFL guard, but he's clearly better suited for tackle in the NFL.

Jackson is 6'7'' and 320--how does that translate to guard? And given what they wrote about him, he sounds like a better fit as a right tackle than a guard in the NFL. How many NFL teams take deep drops on a regular basis unless they are play-action passes? None, really. There are fewer speed rushers and more power rushers on the right side of the line, too, so that fits with Jackson moving to right tackle. I'm not saying he couldn't be a good NFL guard, but he's clearly better suited for tackle in the NFL.

Robert Gallery moved in and played guard for the Raiders and II believe he had similar measurables

I would be surprised if Jackson plays right tackle. At one point we were looking to move Wirfs to the left side and Jackson had problems on the right side so it didn’t happen.

Don't think Gallery was 6'7" and I remember he got dinged by the pro's for having the dreaded "short arms"....

https://www.nfl.com/players/robert-gallery/

According to NFL.com Gallery was listed at 6'7" 325 lbs. Not sure about the short arms though, but I've heard many say similar things about them. I did meet Gallery and his brother in SpoCo back in 06 or 07. I had a buddy that could strike up a conversation with anyone, next thing I know I'm being invited over for some shots. Very nice guy, I just remember the sheer mass of his arms was crazy.

Don't think Gallery was 6'7" and I remember he got dinged by the pro's for having the dreaded "short arms"....
I don’t think Gallery got dinged for anything. I think Bulaga got dinged for the arm thing. Gallery was plagued with a bad organization with poor coaching. Belichick said something to the effect.

Robert Gallery moved in and played guard for the Raiders and II believe he had similar measurables

Fair enough. I'm sure he could play guard, but with the paucity of tackle talent in the NFL I would think some team would want him at RT. Then again, with injuries on the O-line the way they are, tackles are often kicked inside to guard if necessary. Having versatility is an asset.

Reactions: Birdmanil
Aleric Jackson cannot play Right Tackle. That's been documented.

Exactly, how do people forget this. Why do you think Tristan was at right tackle always instead of left? Alaric Was new to football when he learned the last tackle position in HS I believe and that’s all he’s ever known. From what I’ve heard him playing right tackle is like a right handed person trying to throw a football left-handed.

I don’t think Gallery got dinged for anything. I think Bulaga got dinged for the arm thing. Gallery was plagued with a bad organization with poor coaching. Belichick said something to the effect.

And bad ankles, very, very bad ankles.

Gallery (32.25") had even shorter arms than Bulaga (33.25") and Reiff (33.25"). All shorter than NFL GMs are looking for ideally in a first round OT, but yeah some of that is certainly overblown.

https://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/12020/daily-mailbag-the-insanity-of-short-arms

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT