ADVERTISEMENT

Nick Saban throws team under the bus post retirement

alaskanseminole

HR Legend
Oct 20, 2002

Nick Saban: The way Alabama players reacted after Rose Bowl loss 'contributed' to decision to retire​

"Nick Saban was not thrilled with the way his team reacted to losing the Rose Bowl."

"I was really disappointed in the way that the players acted after the game. You gotta win with class. You gotta lose with class. We had our opportunities to win the game and we didn't do it, and then showing your ass and being frustrated and throwing helmets and doing that stuff ... that's not who we are and what we've promoted in our program."

Really? I doubt that really contributed squat. In 17 years, that's the first loss where players got pissed? Clickbait, just like my thread title.

Nick Saban: The way Alabama players reacted after Rose Bowl loss 'contributed' to decision to retire​

"Nick Saban was not thrilled with the way his team reacted to losing the Rose Bowl."

"I was really disappointed in the way that the players acted after the game. You gotta win with class. You gotta lose with class. We had our opportunities to win the game and we didn't do it, and then showing your ass and being frustrated and throwing helmets and doing that stuff ... that's not who we are and what we've promoted in our program."

Really? I doubt that really contributed squat. In 17 years, that's the first loss where players got pissed? Clickbait, just like my threadvolatile.
That is a weird ass reasoning.

If you were disappointed with how they were reacting to losing, don't you think it's your job to set them straight COACH.

And also at that level of play as long as they were not being shitty to the other team I would expect the players to be angry and frustrated, just as long as that anger and frustration is directed towards themselves and it doesn't devolve into a blame game.

NIL and December has to be exhausting. I can't blame Saban for retiring at his age considering all that.
Eff him. He (and a few others) are a big part of the reason college football got to this point. He treated his non key players like shit and essentially was cutting kids, kicking injured kids off scholarship for years etc... He was a dirty negative recruiter, openly whined about other programs recruiting tactics while he was doing the same, routinely reneged on offers... like I said, eff him.

Eff him. He (and a few others) are a big part of the reason college football got to this point. He treated his non key players like shit and essentially was cutting kids, kicking injured kids off scholarship for years etc... He was a dirty negative recruiter, openly whined about other programs recruiting tactics while he was doing the same, routinely reneged on offers... like I said, eff him.
Yeah, Saban trying to claim the high ground in any kind of fashion is laughable.

Man is a control freak and has always been in control of everything and every situation. Now that he is not, he can’t handle it and wants out. Basically, get off my lawn type response to the situation.

CSB - after my best friend from h.s. got out of the Marines, he decided to go to school in Tuscaloosa. He was a bouncer at a bar that had a private room for football players. They all came in driving sports cars & wearing expensive suits. Said he had a science class w a 2nd string fullback who only showed up the first & last day of class. So I'm not buying Saban's song & dance about personal development & academic success. Maybe the players are harder to control now that everything is out in the open?

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Man is a control freak and has always been in control of everything and every situation. Now that he is not, he can’t handle it and wants out. Basically, get off my lawn type response to the situation.

Yes and no. I wouldn't want to have constantly feed the egos of people 50 years younger than me if I was Saban

Yes and no. I wouldn't want to have constantly feed the egos of people 50 years younger than me if I was Saban
Saban got paid 10 bazillion plus a year and now he can’t understanding kids wanting a piece of the pie? Weird take.
TV announcers, radio pundits, internet loudmouths making bank. Stadium owners, beer and food hawkers doing well.
Not the players tho…
piss on saban and dabo.

Reactions: DeangeloVickers
Saban got paid 10 bazillion plus a year and now he can’t understanding kids wanting a piece of the pie? Weird take.
TV announcers, radio pundits, internet loudmouths making bank. Stadium owners, beer and food hawkers doing well.
Not the players tho…
piss on saban and dabo.

I'm fine with players making money. I'm not cool with them trying to bribe/blackmail/whathaveyou their head coach

Are you suggesting negotiations should be limited?
Coaches have left kids hanging for years while heading to greener pastures. I have no sympathy for coaches in this narrative.

Coaches are assholes too. They should not get buyouts. They should have to pay if they don't fulfill their contracts.

Not the players tho…
piss on saban and dabo.

Free tuition, room and board. Access to facilities. Popularity and perks. Beloved by fans.

Yep, those D1 athletes had it so rough all these years.

Not the players tho…
piss on saban and dabo.
Don't leave off Urban. Him and Saban can but eat a D sandwich.

• Love
Reactions: seminoleed
Free tuition, room and board. Access to facilities. Popularity and perks. Beloved by fans.

Yep, those D1 athletes had it so rough all these years.
Until the Sabans out of the world started revoking their scholarships as soon as they got hurt, denied them the education and medical care that should have been a part of the deal as well... all in the name of chasing his next title, and next multi million dollar paycheck.

• Wow
Reactions: seminoleed
Please try to exhaust me for $11 million a year. Cry me a river.
Money isn't everything. Jimmy Johnson won national championships and super bowls, but never once saw his own children play sports and almost never sat down to a family dinner.

Infinite and indefinite free agency will be college sports’ undoing.
Could be. I think what has killed men’s basketball isn’t that, but one and done, so that we don’t know and invest in teams other than our favorite team. Women don’t have that problem, and neither does football. This, combined with it hopefully settling down into equilibrium once players realistically know their value and what they can actually get or not get, which lets them know better the grass isn’t actually greener elsewhere. Who knows though.

Alabama shouldn't have been in the Rose Bowl anyway. Their name alone gave them an advantage in the 4 team playoff. It's no wonder the players feel entitled when they have a whole network singing their praises all season long.

Really? I doubt that really contributed squat. In 17 years, that's the first loss where players got pissed? Clickbait, just like my thread title.
“Reaction” is certainly a measure of players character. Sabin is right...”you win with class and you lose with class”....,throwing helmets after a loss = throwing golf clubs after a bad shot. It’s always a bad show.....even if it makes you feel better.
Perfectly understandable comment by Coach.

A lot of those injured kids could have used AFLAC.

Reactions: joelbc1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT