ADVERTISEMENT

Why Saban retired

Mountain Man Hawk

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Mar 30, 2010
This is a really good article about Saban and his decision to step down. The whole article is worth reading but these few paragraphs in particular are noteworthy.

Not only was Saban upset about the way his team played, he was especially disheartened about some of the things that happened afterward -- in the Rose Bowl locker room and back on campus, when he met with some of the players.

"I want to be clear that wasn't the reason, but some of those events certainly contributed," Saban said of his decision to retire. "I was really disappointed in the way that the players acted after the game. You gotta win with class. You gotta lose with class. We had our opportunities to win the game and we didn't do it, and then showing your ass and being frustrated and throwing helmets and doing that stuff ... that's not who we are and what we've promoted in our program."

Once back in Tuscaloosa, as Saban began meeting with players, it became even more apparent to him that his message wasn't resonating like it once did.

"I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I'm going to play because they're thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?" Saban recounted. "Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.

"So I'm saying to myself, 'Maybe this doesn't work anymore, that the goals and aspirations are just different and that it's all about how much money can I make as a college player?' I'm not saying that's bad. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that's never been what we were all about, and it's not why we had success through the years."

I literally just posted this in the Kaydn Proctor has Committed to Iowa thread right after you created this one. So posting it here as well...

To be fair to Nick or any coach who's been around for 20+ years, this new approach to recruiting and the mindset of the recruits is foreign to them. Probably best they step away and let the new, younger, more progressive breed of coaches move up.

No one, well, barely anyone, is saying players in this era aren't entitled to some of the revenue they are helping to generate, but if they are flat out behaving like entitled 'free agents' before even proving themselves at the college level, then I don't blame the Saban's of the world for being put off by it and deciding now is the time to walk away.

He's proven that he can adapt in an ever-evolving sport. He's won when the defense has carried the load. He's won when the offense has carried the load.

He's an old-school guy at heart. He despises NIL and the portal, the great equalizers in CFB. College football used to be about building rapport and relationships with kids and their families. Ten years ago, when you sat down with high school juniors and seniors, you were selling them a path to develop physically and emotionally for whatever path awaits them three, four, or five years after high school. Nowadays, a third of those incoming freshmen will bolt for greener pastures just four months after the fall semester started.

Today's CFB players are mercenaries - NFL Lite free agents chasing perks such as playing time and dollar bills.

behaving like entitled 'free agents' before even proving themselves at the college level

It is a free market. Baseball players have been receiving millions out of high school for decades. There is a lot of demand for these players, which is why coaches and fans drool over recruits constantly. They deserve to get paid.

I literally just posted this in the Kaydn Proctor has Committed to Iowa thread right after you created this one. So posting it here as well...

To be fair to Nick or any coach who's been around for 20+ years, this new approach to recruiting and the mindset of the recruits is foreign to them. Probably best they step away and let the new, younger, more progressive breed of coaches move up.

No one, well, barely anyone, is saying players in this era aren't entitled to some of the revenue they are helping to generate, but if they are flat out behaving like entitled 'free agents' before even proving themselves at the college level, then I don't blame the Saban's of the world for being put off by it and deciding now is the time to walk away.
Iowa and Kirk and many teams do not have to worry about a mass exodus of players each year to the portal as we do not have immediate starters in most positions. Blue bloods have guys who have big time nfl talent and if they arent playing they will leave now in this environment.

It is too bad unless you can pay them and million bucks to stick around

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
It is a free market. Baseball players have been receiving millions out of high school for decades. There is a lot of demand for these players, which is why coaches and fans drool over recruits constantly. They deserve to get paid.
LOL ...no they haven't.

VERY FEW of them signed for that amount of money prior to the turn of the century.

I think you mean those baseball players who opted to accept the "glory" of toiling in minor leagues for several years before making it to the show? If they made it to the show. 95% of them accepted some cash over enjoying the college life experience. Not judging them, they did it for their own personal reasons.

Do you not believe there should be a difference between amateur and professional athletes, at least on some level?

Iowa and Kirk and many teams do not have to worry about a mass exodus of players each year to the portal as we do not have immediate starters in most positions. Blue bloods have guys who have big time nfl talent and if they arent playing they will leave now in this environment.

It is too bad unless you can pay them and million bucks to stick around

This has much truth to it ...at this time.

Once the B1G and SEC leave the NCAA and create their College Football League, there will probably be no more than 40 (maybe up to 48) school members.

At that point, the playing field should be leveled and their should be a salary cap put in place...as well as an actual player draft implemented. Basically, schools should no longer benefit from decades of blueblood tradition and enormous amount of alumni/booster slush funds ...and... recruits should no longer be treated like "recruits". They want the the "free agent" or "top draft prospect" treatment, they will have to accept those type of conditions.

Quite honestly, if the Iowa's of the world simply cave in for the cash-grab of belonging to such a "league" and allow the Texas's/Georgia's/Michigan's of the world to continue to dominate in every way due to better, unequal resources, the majority of fans will suffer and eventually the new model will collapse on it's own.

This has become a new era of minor league (NFL developmental) football and nothing more than a business. The amateur athlete is the old business model, it will now become the semi-professional athlete model. It should be treated as such.

I've wanted to despise Saban for a long time, but it's difficult. The "culture" stuff is admirable, and I don't really blame him for not wanting to deal with the "guaranty me I'm playing right away, and how much will you pay me" crap. I get the argument that it's the new world of CFB, but we're the school who was known for taking a bunch of 2-3 star farm boys and walkons and sending them to the NFL because they wanted to work hard and played for the team first. It sounds like Nick saw the end of college sports being college sports and got out.

What a ****ing crybaby Saban and a lot of coaches are. He made over $120M just from Alabama. But the minute the players want some money and some guidance on playing time, he stomps his feet and quits. **** him.
Imagine an Athletic Director being able to do the job overseeing 100 coaches that have no contracts in place and each coach can just demand huge sums of money and can quit whenever with no repercussions. You can't fault Saban for not liking the craziness that high-profile athletes in his program create and the demands that they have.

Certainly he and KF are kindred spirits in many ways, especially those mentioned. I have no doubt at all that Kirk is struggling with the same issues. I do wonder if you won't see him exit sooner rather then later as well. And NO the $ left on the table won't be an issue. He wouldn't miss a penny of it, if he decides to hang it up.

I've wanted to despise Saban for a long time, but it's difficult. The "culture" stuff is admirable, and I don't really blame him for not wanting to deal with the "guaranty me I'm playing right away, and how much will you pay me" crap. I get the argument that it's the new world of CFB, but we're the school who was known for taking a bunch of 2-3 star farm boys and walkons and sending them to the NFL because they wanted to work hard and played for the team first. It sounds like Nick saw the end of college sports being college sports and got out.
Maybe? The cynical part of me believes that with NIL the playing field was leveled and now Nick is on the other side of things and took his ball and went home. This is what most schools were combating when some schools were paying players under the table.

LOL ...no they haven't.

VERY FEW of them signed for that amount of money prior to the turn of the century.

I think you mean those baseball players who opted to accept the "glory" of toiling in minor leagues for several years before making it to the show? If they made it to the show. 95% of them accepted some cash over enjoying the college life experience. Not judging them, they did it for their own personal reasons.

Do you not believe there should be a difference between amateur and professional athletes, at least on some level?
Good point. How about Bubba Starling as an example. Kid from KC area (Gardner, KS) had a scholly at Nebraska to play QB in his pocket, but turned it down to sign for about 7 million with the Royals in 2011. Spent a decade in the minors. Retired in 2021, never fulfilling his promise as the next Bo Jackson or whatever. I mean he got PAID up front, BUT if he had been THAT guy at QB and made it to the league his career earnings might have been worth 10 times that or more.....

Good point. How about Bubba Starling as an example. Kid from KC area (Gardner, KS) had a scholly at Nebraska to play QB in his pocket, but turned it down to sign for about 7 million with the Royals in 2011. Spent a decade in the minors. Retired in 2021, never fulfilling his promise as the next Bo Jackson or whatever. I mean he got PAID up front, BUT if he had been THAT guy at QB and made it to the league his career earnings might have been worth 10 times that or more.....
Kids have different reasons for choosing one way or the other.

That's a large some of life-changing guaranteed cash that Bubba would have had to walk away from....so that definitely falls on the side of doing the smart thing. All it would've taken is a freak accident in practice to ruin/derail his fball/bball career and he never would've seen that cash.

However, for every Bubba there are 100 'John Smiths' who opt not to go to college and experience all that goes with it (along with a paid education) in order to chase their pro dreams for a fraction of Bubba's number. Sure, $300k or $700k is a large sum of money (especially to a h.s. kid), but unless his family is financially desperate, then that money after taxes is not truly life changing. The kid should go to college and enjoy the experience most of us had. He can still improve his game and get drafted a few years later.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Kids have different reasons for choosing one way or the other.

That's a large some of life-changing guaranteed cash that Bubba would have had to walk away from....so that definitely falls on the side of doing the smart thing. All it would've taken is a freak accident in practice to ruin/derail his fball/bball career and he never would've seen that cash.

However, for every Bubba there are 100 'John Smiths' who opt not to go to college and experience all that goes with it (along with a paid education) in order to chase their pro dreams for a fraction of Bubba's number. Sure, $300k or $700k is a large sum of money (especially to a h.s. kid), but unless his family is financially desperate, then that money after taxes is not truly life changing. The kid should go to college and enjoy the experience most of us had. He can still improve his game and get drafted a few years later.
Absolutely. "Bubba" was another guy who "cashed in" on the Royals not wanting to make the same mistake twice. The Royals passed on "some guy" named Alberto Juan Pujols, who was also a KC area kid from Independence. Played his high school ball at Fort Osage, and legion ball within walking distance of Kauffman stadium, at Chrysler park. The Royals scouts said he was a long shot as a pro especially on defense, and couldn't see a position for him, and that he wouldn't hit in the pro's. Probably the biggest MISS ever by almost every major league teams scouting department. Even the Cards weren't to sure on him so they waited until round 13 to pull the trigger, and he did NOT get the big bucks to sign. He was so unhappy with where he fell in the draft, that he was considering dropping out of baseball. The only reason he stayed and took his shot in the minors, (he was only there for a little over a year), is because his wife Deidre told him he would never forgive himself if he didn't go for it. He was going to go to work at an 8-5 job as she already had a little girl , and he wanted to provide for them. Its amazing how shit works out behind the scenes.....

Imagine an Athletic Director being able to do the job overseeing 100 coaches that have no contracts in place and each coach can just demand huge sums of money and can quit whenever with no repercussions.

If you are advocating to offer players long term NIL contracts, go for it. Wise move. You're ahead of the curve.

• Haha
This is a really good article about Saban and his decision to step down. The whole article is worth reading but these few paragraphs in particular are noteworthy.

Not only was Saban upset about the way his team played, he was especially disheartened about some of the things that happened afterward -- in the Rose Bowl locker room and back on campus, when he met with some of the players.

"I want to be clear that wasn't the reason, but some of those events certainly contributed," Saban said of his decision to retire. "I was really disappointed in the way that the players acted after the game. You gotta win with class. You gotta lose with class. We had our opportunities to win the game and we didn't do it, and then showing your ass and being frustrated and throwing helmets and doing that stuff ... that's not who we are and what we've promoted in our program."

Once back in Tuscaloosa, as Saban began meeting with players, it became even more apparent to him that his message wasn't resonating like it once did.

"I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I'm going to play because they're thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?" Saban recounted. "Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.

"So I'm saying to myself, 'Maybe this doesn't work anymore, that the goals and aspirations are just different and that it's all about how much money can I make as a college player?' I'm not saying that's bad. I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just saying that's never been what we were all about, and it's not why we had success through the years."
Well, I'm not a Saban fan at all, but I agree with everything he said.

But, I'm not sure how much of it was honest.

Sounds like a guy who was overwhelmed and reacted to a crisis.
I don't know. To me he sounds more like a guy who was used to dominating his peers with a certain system. He came to the correct conclusion that his system in and of itself was far from guaranteeing that level of sustained success going forward. At 72 years and with his wealth, he saw no reason to carry on in a world that he no longer fully understood or appreciated. Might as well hang it up.

What a ****ing crybaby Saban and a lot of coaches are. He made over $120M just from Alabama. But the minute the players want some money and some guidance on playing time, he stomps his feet and quits. **** him.
Reading comprehension not your strong suit? It wasn't the players wanting money, because they're getting it. It's the lack of "team" in the player's mindset

The bolded is ruining college football.

Sanders at Colorado had the same opinion on things. He has said the kids need to come in ready to bust their A and try to get the bag of money when they go to the NFL, but then he takes advantage of it all too.

Alabama bought players for years. Boo hoo, Nick.

This has much truth to it ...at this time.

Once the B1G and SEC leave the NCAA and create their College Football League, there will probably be no more than 40 (maybe up to 48) school members.

At that point, the playing field should be leveled and their should be a salary cap put in place...as well as an actual player draft implemented. Basically, schools should no longer benefit from decades of blueblood tradition and enormous amount of alumni/booster slush funds ...and... recruits should no longer be treated like "recruits". They want the the "free agent" or "top draft prospect" treatment, they will have to accept those type of conditions.

Quite honestly, if the Iowa's of the world simply cave in for the cash-grab of belonging to such a "league" and allow the Texas's/Georgia's/Michigan's of the world to continue to dominate in every way due to better, unequal resources, the majority of fans will suffer and eventually the new model will collapse on it's own.

This has become a new era of minor league (NFL developmental) football and nothing more than a business. The amateur athlete is the old business model, it will now become the semi-professional athlete model. It should be treated as such.

Yes, there has to be some guard rails or this thing will implode.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
So, no scholarships?
Players pay their own way for training facilities and room and food table?
Also people to help them with their studies?
They want to adult, then treat them as such. They are getting a "salary" from NIL, just like a regular employee, then pay for what you can afford. Scholarships paid for it all, but that wasn't enough.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Take it up with the NFL then. The NCAA isn't the ones preventing them from going pro right out of HS.

Me, Me, Me, that what college football players are about now days as "TEAM" takes a backseat to a kids personal and financial goals. I guess this is supposed to be a good thing for the players, but it sucks for the coaching staffs and sucks for the fans. Yes, I am getting old, but I really miss the days when a kid went to a school on a full ride scholly, and at one time that was considered a great thing. Free education and the chance to play another 4 years and possible (if good enough) a chance at the NFL. Now, the education is not even a kids consideration. Yup, as far as I am concerned, NIL has ruined college football. ;) Now, on the flip side, I guess if a school/boosters/ businesses can generate enough money to bribe, er, pay enough great players to add to their roster, they have a one year window to win a championship, however, as we have seen, a kid will take the coin one year and be gone to the next highest bidder the next. Personally, I don't see this as progress.

Saban had good cause to be concerned. I'll watch Nebraska play, post shit talk over here every so often because Iowa - I mean...Iowa, right?

But college football as a whole can take a flying leap with the way things are being run right now. It's not good for the sport.

Reactions: Madman_1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT