ADVERTISEMENT

Nick's in Des Moines Named Iowa's Best Breaded Pork Tenderloin this Year

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The belle of the pork ball has arrived, and the breaded tenderloin from Nick's in Des Moines is queen.

On Friday, the Iowa Pork Producers Association named the winner of its annual "Best Breaded Pork Tenderloin" competition. Judges decided that Nick's, on Des Moines' south side at 1106 Army Post Road, reigned supreme over 384 other Iowa businesses. It's the first time in the 14-year history of the competition that a winner has been in Des Moines.

"I’m really thrown back. I’ve wanted this award since I opened. I watch the contest every year,” owner Nick Iaria, a Des Moines native, said in a news release. “I’m really excited; this is great.”

Nick's has been known in the Des Moines area for its tenderloin sandwiches and serves 1,000 juicy cuts a week, Iaria said. Eighty percent of the sales at the restaurant are from the loin.

The tenderloin was praised by judges for its flavor and crunch.

"There is no oil flavor and you can taste the pork," Robert Anderson, executive director of the Iowa Culinary Institute and a judge, said in a news release.

RELATED: What makes a good pork tenderloin?

Iaria, a former stockbroker, machine-tenderizes pork loins each morning. Once a customer orders a sandwich, he uses a four-step process in which the tenderloin is seasoned, floured, battered, breaded and cooked in a tenderloin-only fryer. He sells a "queen"-size (6- to 7-ounce) and a "king"-size (12- to 13-ounce) version.

The Iowa Pork Producers Association is presenting Iaria with a $500 check, a plaque and a large banner at his restaurant at 11 a.m. Friday.

Coming in second was the 1901 Chop Haus in Traer. The restaurant will receive $250 and a plaque. Other finalists include Sweet 'n Saucy in Fairfield, Stumpy’s Bar and Grill in Duncombe and Willies Sports Bar in Hampton.

A total of 385 Iowa businesses received 1,982 nominations this year, and the top five restaurants with the most nominations from each of the eight IPPA districts were judged this summer on the quality of the pork, taste, physical characteristics and eating experience.

Previous winners
2015: Belmond Drive-In, Belmond

2014: Lucky Pig Pub & Grill, Ogden

2013: River Rock Café, Mount Pleasant

2012: Breitbach’s Country Dining, Balltown

2011: Gramma’s Kitchen, Walcott

2010: Buck’s Bar & Grill, Mitchellville (now out of business)

2009: Goldie’s Ice Cream Shoppe, Prairie City

2008: Augusta Restaurant, Oxford

2007: Larsen’s Pub, Elk Horn

2006: The Town House Supper Club, Wellsburg (now located in Cedar Falls)

2005: Dairy Sweet, Dunlap

2004 (best grilled tenderloin): Suburban Restaurant, Ames (now out of business)

2003: Darrell’s Place, Hamlin

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/entertainment/2016/10/14/best-pork-tenderloin-iowa/92010778/

635959782278754102-Nick-s-BPT-1.JPG

I've hit the Lucky Pig (2014 Winner) a couple times while passing through.

It's in the middle of nowhere (30 miles west of Ames) but the tenderloins and other food is fantastic.

Ok boys. Let's get together on one thing. Those Indiana boys will claim the tenderloin is Indiana thing. Bullshit. Right?

PS. Purdue sucks.
PPS. Shakespeare's on 1st ave in IC used to have a really good and unique tenderloin that was thicker--barely pounded-out. It was a refreshing counterpoint to the all too prevalent offer of the overly pounded, paper thin, dinner plate sized offerings.

Nick's is really good. I prefer Darrell's Place in Hamlin, but both are outstanding. The interesting part about Nick's is that I believe the recipe is the same as the Town House Supper Club that won in 2006.

Goldie's in Prairie City is really, really good too.

Tenderloins suck

I understand the tenderloin hate...when you get one that's too thin and mostly bread, it makes for a rather unpleasant dining experience.

But the good ones are worth seeking out. Hasn't been on that list but I was impressed with the tenderloin at Northside Cafe in Winterset. Solid operation overall, worth the stop if you're in the area.

Chuckies out of Dewitt is pretty awesome. They sell from a food truck. Had the truck set up inside the gates at the Rose Bowl last year

Nick's is really good. I prefer Darrell's Place in Hamlin, but both are outstanding. The interesting part about Nick's is that I believe the recipe is the same as the Town House Supper Club that won in 2006.

Goldie's in Prairie City is really, really good too.
Darrell's tenderloin is the best. !!!!!!

Ok boys. Let's get together on one thing. Those Indiana boys will claim the tenderloin is Indiana thing. Bullshit. Right?

PS. Purdue sucks.
PPS. Shakespeare's on 1st ave in IC used to have a really good and unique tenderloin that was thicker--barely pounded-out. It was a refreshing counterpoint to the all too prevalent offer of the overly pounded, paper thin, dinner plate sized offerings.
I thought the thinner the better? we need the debate of thick vs thin

I understand the tenderloin hate...when you get one that's too thin and mostly bread, it makes for a rather unpleasant dining experience.

But the good ones are worth seeking out. Hasn't been on that list but I was impressed with the tenderloin at Northside Cafe in Winterset. Solid operation overall, worth the stop if you're in the area.
no, thinner is better. who taught you guys this!! what on earth

Margie and Jerry's (I think that's the name) has a stand outside Kinnick...holy cow, those tenderloins are faaantastic. Thick, juicy, and flavorful.

I dined at Augusta yesterday morning. I had the haystack (deliciously fried potatoes topped with a fried tenderloin topped with American cheese topped with 2 eggs of your choice topped with sausage gravy) and a cider-mosa. Highly recommend it.

Reactions: llm2 and McLovin32
A true Iowa tenderloin MUST be:
At least 1/2" thick
At least 2:1 tenderloin:bun ratio

That being said, St.Olaf is the biggest & best I've ever eaten

2961557437_a75bb1235d_bnew2.jpg

this is thin, however, would like to see it bigger around like plate sized but oh well. don't know exactly where the photo was taken

photo0jpg.jpg

I used to go here a lot in Centerville, lately I was thinking tenderloins had gone downhill slightly, need to go check it out again

Chuckies out of Dewitt is pretty awesome. They sell from a food truck. Had the truck set up inside the gates at the Rose Bowl last year

I picked one of those up before the game and it was the best I've ever had. That was the highlight of my Rose Bowl trip, unfortunately.

I've never had a tenderloin that was better than a hamburger. Tenderloins are alway dry and crunchy and seem to have a fascination for sticking beyond the bun. I like my meat juicy and between the buns.

The best tenderloin I think I've ever had was inside the gates at the Knoxville Nationals this last year. I wish I could remember the name of the place. There Was a line 30 people long.

I've never had a tenderloin that was better than a hamburger. Tenderloins are alway dry and crunchy and seem to have a fascination for sticking beyond the bun. I like my meat juicy and between the buns.

Try the queen tenderloin at Nick's. Just about right for those parameters.

Reactions: naturalmwa

Go to the Margie and Jerry's stand before a football game.

3o6Zt4F6t6Sm1cmcus.gif

Reactions: naturalmwa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT