ADVERTISEMENT

Best Des Moines Metro to move to?

Wanted to follow up with this post. We are closing on a home end of May and we chose a neighborhood in Adel. Biggest selling point was the school district and the smaller town feel but being 10 mins away from everything in Waukee, 17 mins away from Jordan Creek, then 30 mins away from downtown Des Moines. Also our $$ went a lot further in the Adel area for a lot and house compared to everywhere else in the western suburbs.

We started by thinking we would live in Ankeny and turned to we checked Ankeny off the list pretty quick haha. It was down to Norwalk, Waukee, and Adel but ultimately chose Adel due to the school district there. Seems like they have their shit together as a community when it comes to education
Good on you OP!

Grew up in Adel and I turned out just fine! Also, I’m undefeated in the Sweet Corn festival Cake Walk. CSB

Reactions: BrunoMars420
I’ve lived in Waukee, Ankeny, WDSM, Beaverdale area, and now Des Moines. I’m not a fan of Ankeny because of a million stoplights, high property taxes, and is the king is strip malls.

Norwalk is a nice town and on the upswing. Waukee is fine but becoming too cookie cutter.

I’d probably focus on Des Moines. We live right outside Ankeny in a newer development. Saydel schools are nearby.

Overall, you can’t go wrong as lots of nice towns make up the metro.

My brother just got a new job and family is moving to dm area right now as well, make the full move after school is out . They have been house hunting. If they had enough time they would build, but my bro has already started his job and living with a friend at the moment.

@StormHawk42 @Whiskeydeltadeltatango … you remember who he is?

Last edited:

This place just opened but has anyone been there yet? James beard nominated chef runs the restaurant. This looks right up my alley

I know @JWolf74 said he cums in cumming a lot, what’s the scuttlebutt on this place?

This place just opened but has anyone been there yet? James beard nominated chef runs the restaurant. This looks right up my alley

I know @JWolf74 said he cums in cumming a lot, what’s the scuttlebutt on this place?
The only thing worth a shit in Cummings is the Cummings tap.

Reactions: SF HAWKEYE

We went opening day last week. Limited menu-I believe it was wood fired pizza. They were fine. Nothing special. Meatball app was overcooked, not enough sauce. Crab dip wasn't great. I've had most of the ciders previously. They're decent. The gold fashioned (old fashioned with a little cider in it) was 6.9/10.

Overall a C. And frankly too expensive for how good it was. But we'll go again at a later time once they've got the kinks worked out and expanded the menu.

Honestly, for that style pizza, Pyra in Norwalk blows them away.

Wanted to follow up with this post. We are closing on a home end of May and we chose a neighborhood in Adel. Biggest selling point was the school district and the smaller town feel but being 10 mins away from everything in Waukee, 17 mins away from Jordan Creek, then 30 mins away from downtown Des Moines. Also our $$ went a lot further in the Adel area for a lot and house compared to everywhere else in the western suburbs.

We started by thinking we would live in Ankeny and turned to we checked Ankeny off the list pretty quick haha. It was down to Norwalk, Waukee, and Adel but ultimately chose Adel due to the school district there. Seems like they have their shit together as a community when it comes to education
I'm a single dude who lives in Beaverdale so I wouldn't ever live in Adel but I have 3 buddies I grew up with that when they settled down they moved to Adel and they love it. It seems like a great place to raise a family congrats on the new home.

Not questioning your choice but just curious why Ankeny was nixed quickly. Too much dick heat to compete with?

So I may have to be relocating to Des Moines due to a job. I lived there about 10 years ago and have a good idea of the metro but I was in my 20s and I have a family with two five year olds now. I’ve done some research on where to move and the school districts and we are narrowing it down to the SE Polk district (Altoona and Pleasant Hill area), West Des Moines, Johnston, and Norwalk.

In HORTs opinion, which area is the best for families and what do you think is the best burb overall?
Anywhere in the Seydel school district is highly sought after. :)

2fae598a-5d4d-40be-9a4e-be004a15e50a_text.gif

Not questioning your choice but just curious why Ankeny was nixed quickly. Too much dick heat to compete with?
For me it was because it's chain store, mini mall, cookie cutter vomit, devoid of any character at all. Worse than even West Des Moines.

But I don't like people. Not really thrilled with all the growth around us. May have to move further out.

We live west park Ave in south Des Moines and love it. 5 minutes to airport, 5 minutes to valley junction, 8 minutes downtown, and 15 minutes to West Des Moines. A bike trail and many breweries near by. The only down fall is Lincoln school district but we’re close to a lot of other schools.

All the new builds are all North and away from a lot of the things my wife and I love about the metro. The Prairie trail area is pretty nice and we looked at some houses over there but we wanted a nice sized lot and there wasn’t any around there that we liked. Also being older with kids now I wanted to raise them in a smaller type community compared to a rapidly growing one where I think would hinder their education.

Reactions: Tenacious E

Adel is not a bad spot at all. If Patrick's is still around, go get yourself a homemade pie, they're delicious.

Lot/House prices in the "official" 'burbs are batshit crazy.

Adel’s town AAU basketball team is remarkably good for a town that size. All I got but man I was impressed this winter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT