ADVERTISEMENT

Best Des Moines Metro to move to?

Speaking of traffic...we drove to Dallas last week and going thru KC, Ok City, and Dallas made driving around the DM metro seem like a stroll.

I guess it's all relative.
Having lived in the Boston metro for 4 years, I agree. In terms of traffic, on a scale of 1 - 100, Kalona being a 1 and NYC being 100, DSM is about a 5. Boston is about a 30. With that being said, land is cheap here compared to Boston, so why not stretch out with a big lot and easier drive?

Last edited:
Reactions: MitchLL
My first thoughts are what do you want in a house and the amount you want to pay then decide which suburb on the SW to NW side of town do you want to live. Also, might want to consider the DM area off Grand as that is a great area to live in a mature neighborhood. Again, that goes back to how much money do you want to spend for the amenities.

Last edited:
Not anymore. It is basically Ankeny North. Elementary class sizes are huge.
Edit: referring to the post referencing Polk City

Last edited:
All of those would provide a solid education for your kids. If you want your kids to participate in athletics in high school and get a good education, I would avoid all of those. You could go somewhere like Woodward or Madrid and get a nice house for cheap and have good schools and opportunities for your kids if they like extracurricular activities. I would even argue living in a cool neighborhood in Des Moines in the Roosevelt district would be better than the places you mentioned. In regard to preparing for your children for life, that may be the best option overall.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
My first thoughts are what do you want in a house and the amount you want to pay then decide which suburb on the SW to NW side of town do you want to live. Also, might want to consider the DM area off Grand as that is a great area to consider. Again, that goes back to how much money do you want to spend for the amenities.
The houses we are looking at are around $375 to $525k right now. It seems like being around WDM makes the most sense in terms of being close to the job and plenty of good school districts. But I guess I’ll be 3 days in and 2 days remote so like I said it probably won’t be that big of a deal for the commute and also my wife will probably be working at one of the unity point hospitals in Des Moines so her commute is probably more important since she would be driving more.

Also how is the Food scene down on the southside of Des Moines? If I remember correctly it is Hispanic, Asian, and Italian food.

Reactions: OutbackBowl2017
The houses we are looking at are around $375 to $525k right now. It seems like being around WDM makes the most sense in terms of being close to the job and plenty of good school districts. But I guess I’ll be 3 days in and 2 days remote so like I said it probably won’t be that big of a deal for the commute and also my wife will probably be working at one of the unity point hospitals in Des Moines so her commute is probably more important since she would be driving more.

Also how is the Food scene down on the southside of Des Moines? If I remember correctly it is Hispanic, Asian, and Italian food.
My drive to the UP hospitals isn't too bad from cumming. Just jump on the interstate. Traffic isn't bad for me. But I'm driving in at 7am.

All of those would provide a solid education for your kids. If you want your kids to participate in athletics in high school and get a good education, I would avoid all of those. You could go somewhere like Woodward or Madrid and get a nice house for cheap and have good schools and opportunities for your kids if they like extracurricular activities. I would even argue living in a cool neighborhood in Des Moines in the Roosevelt district would be better than the places you mentioned. In regard to preparing for your children for life, that may be the best option overall.
SOG and NOG have their appeal, especially if you have ample means. Personally, I do not like older homes and I think many people living in them have a false sense of superiority. I would rather pay X in suburb for a new or newer home, than 2X living in an older home. But, it would be closest to working downtown, and it does offer a lot more diversity. For those in quad cities, a close analog to Roosevelt would be Davenport Central.

Sounds like you're headed west, but fwiw, I know doctors and other health professionals who live in Ankeny who work at Methodist. But, I know others who live out west. Good luck to you!

That part of town sucks for traffic. Thankfully, no one really lives there. But i-235 commute eastbound in the morning, and westbound in the evening, would suck way worse on a day-to-day basis.

I actually live near Delaware/Magazine. For the most part it’s not been that bad. I learned very quickly tho to never attempt a left turn if it’s not an intersection with a signal tho.

West Des Moines down to Cumming or the east side of Waukee. More activities and thi games to do on the west side vs northern ankeny or Pleasant Hill

I actually live near Delaware/Magazine. For the most part it’s not been that bad. I learned very quickly tho to never attempt a left turn if it’s not an intersection with a signal tho.
Just wait, new signals are popping up all over town. I live in the NE quadrant and several have gone on Delaware or Trilein in the past year or so.

Good luck to you on your search as the inventory will play a big role in where you search. If you want a mature neighborhood, look around the Grand Ave area of DM and WDM. If you want new and schools with smaller class rooms for your children, then Van Meter might be a fit as well as anything west and south of 80 as there is a lot of development going on in that area.

Regarding food, there are lots of options in the areas you mentioned as well as the entire downtown DM metro. Great food scene along Ingersol with those nationalities. Good luck!!

Well when we played them in h.s, we considered them a shithole
Good Game GIF by A1 eSports

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
I think of it as the perineum of Ankeny.
30 years ago it was the unincorporated fart that came out of Ankeny’s butthole.

It also was the Beverly Hills for Firestone workers who had seniority. You could spot them with the johnboat parked in their front yards.

In fairness, Saydel was super convenient if you often patron the fine establishment that was The Lumberyard.

Reactions: Tenacious E
When you end up moving...let us know.

And ultimately what led to your decision.
Wanted to follow up with this post. We are closing on a home end of May and we chose a neighborhood in Adel. Biggest selling point was the school district and the smaller town feel but being 10 mins away from everything in Waukee, 17 mins away from Jordan Creek, then 30 mins away from downtown Des Moines. Also our $$ went a lot further in the Adel area for a lot and house compared to everywhere else in the western suburbs.

We started by thinking we would live in Ankeny and turned to we checked Ankeny off the list pretty quick haha. It was down to Norwalk, Waukee, and Adel but ultimately chose Adel due to the school district there. Seems like they have their shit together as a community when it comes to education

Wanted to follow up with this post. We are closing on a home end of May and we chose a neighborhood in Adel. Biggest selling point was the school district and the smaller town feel but being 10 mins away from everything in Waukee, 17 mins away from Jordan Creek, then 30 mins away from downtown Des Moines. Also our $$ went a lot further in the Adel area for a lot and house compared to everywhere else in the western suburbs.

We started by thinking we would live in Ankeny and turned to we checked Ankeny off the list pretty quick haha. It was down to Norwalk, Waukee, and Adel but ultimately chose Adel due to the school district there. Seems like they have their shit together as a community when it comes to education

Aahhh...the Sweet Corn Festival.

Not bad. It's not Pella, but it's acceptable.

It might be even more Republican than Pella! Lots of good folks in Adel, though.
Only political thing I looked at was shit with the school and it looks like the city voted to build a new highschool south of town. Sign me up

Only political thing I looked at was shit with the school and it looks like the city voted to build a new highschool south of town. Sign me up
There’s s a lot of competition there with Waukee and Dallas Center/Grimes districts…all solid schools. Plus, Van Meter… all close enough to DSM to demand strong curriculum and hiring competent staffs.

My neck of the woods, let me know when you want to play rivervalley.

I guess I don't know what you are calling "in town" but inwould put it behind several courses in the metro.

i like the course, the guy who runs it is just an asshole for completly unnecessary reasons.
The second best course in town…. A distant second, too.
Not my cup of tee. That 18th green should have been destroyed and redone 20 years ago! A gravel road would be an improvement! What an abortion it is.

The second best course in town…. A distant second, too.
Not my cup of tee. That 18th green should have been destroyed and redone 20 years ago! A gravel road would be an improvement! What an abortion it is.
What's the best in your opinion? I like it, but I'd put it behind Legacy, Otter Creek, Waveland for sure. Probably Blank, Jester Park as well. Also have a soft spot for Toad. And that's just the public tracks. I've never played TCI but I assume that's nicer too. Or do you just mean second best in Adel?

That 18th green is a giant eff you, though.

What's the best in your opinion? I like it, but I'd put it behind Legacy, Otter Creek, Waveland for sure. Probably Blank, Jester Park as well. Also have a soft spot for Toad. And that's just the public tracks. I've never played TCI but I assume that's nicer too. Or do you just mean second best in Adel?

That 18th green is a giant eff you, though.
In Adel…Hillcrest. And it is not without flaws. River Valley just is not my cup of tea. Nothing unique or sporting about the lay out. The last hole ruins a bad walk in the outdoors. One if my all time least favorites! And a lot of that is the last hole (green). CHICKENSHIT.

In Adel…Hillcrest. And it is not without flaws. River Valley just is not my cup of tea. Nothing unique or sporting about the lay out. The last hole ruins a bad walk in the outdoors. One if my all time least favorites! And a lot of that is the last hole (green). CHICKENSHIT.
I memba' when they had the girls state championship there. I think they said the average was a 4 putt. I'm assuming they put it on the middle level right next to the drop off.

I memba' when they had the girls state championship there. I think they said the average was a 4 putt. I'm assuming they put it on the middle level right next to the drop off.
That’s just one of a million stories in “The Naked City”…
For me it’s really a non-discript golf course, nothing intriguing and rather boring…there’s 100s just like it across the Midwest. And then there is that 18th hole ( green)…
Honestly, I haven’t played it in years..

Van Harden's dad was one of the guys who built Hillcrest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT