ADVERTISEMENT

NLRB rules that Dartmouth basketball players are Employees of Dartmouth

I will repeat it yet again.

The schools should spin them off as subsidiary corporations, thus retaining ownership and just taking the annual profit. The treat the players as employees and forget school. Offer them a discounted education if they want it. But lets be real, education is an afterthought in all of this.
That's where we are heading, with football and basketball anyway. The other sports will just die from lack of money.

What is the end game for declaring athletes to be employees of a school? Will they even need to be students any longer? Might as well test, too, while they're at it. It's like they're following a (il)logic tree right off a cliff.

I don't think there is an "end game". Football and basketball are quasi-this and quasi-that. No one seems to have a vision for what it may, or should, become.

So, it's just a bunch of folks stumbling around in the dark.

That's where we are heading, with football and basketball anyway. The other sports will just die from lack of money.

I disagree. The profit from football and men and women's basketball; The Iowa Hawkeyes Inc., can be used somewhat like it is now; fund the Olympic and other sports. In fact, this could help with Title IX since football already causes a big imbalance in scholarships.

It's ok. The B1G and SEC are already planning their exit from the NCAA to form their own "pro" league. I also think it will lead to some type of partnership with the NFL.

I disagree. The profit from football and men and women's basketball; The Iowa Hawkeyes Inc., can be used somewhat like it is now; fund the Olympic and other sports. In fact, this could help with Title IX since football already causes a big imbalance in scholarships.
Oh, so peeling off the entire athletic department? Gotcha.

The Iowa Hawkeyes, Inc. is going to be a taxable entity. "Donations" will become nondeductible "memberships" or something like it - if there will be any sort of public support. All the revenue, less "allowable" deductions will determine taxable income.

So, who "owns" Kinnick and Carver? If it's the U, then Iowa Hawkeyes, Inc will pay rent?

Lots of these players are going to want to go to school. How will scholarships be treated?

It's all likely to be a big friggin' mess - but interesting.

I don't think there is an "end game". Football and basketball are quasi-this and quasi-that. No one seems to have a vision for what it may, or should, become.

So, it's just a bunch of folks stumbling around in the dark.
That’s comforting. My dog does a better job of long term planning.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Oh, so peeling off the entire athletic department? Gotcha.

The Iowa Hawkeyes, Inc. is going to be a taxable entity. "Donations" will become nondeductible "memberships" or something like it - if there will be any sort of public support. All the revenue, less "allowable" deductions will determine taxable income.

So, who "owns" Kinnick and Carver? If it's the U, then Iowa Hawkeyes, Inc will pay rent?

Lots of these players are going to want to go to school. How will scholarships be treated?

It's all likely to be a big friggin' mess - but interesting.

Oh yes. Lots of details to work out.

I will attempt to address possible answers to the points you raised.

I) Organization Status: This one is a bit tricky for me and I claim no special knowledge here, it may be able to maintain some sort of not profit status under 501(c).

II) I would think the Iowa Hawkeyes Inc. would enter into a long term lease agreement with the University for facilities. The University will still want Carver for graduation, etc.

III) There are no scholarships for football and basketball at that point. Possibly baseball as well. Baseball is a weird one since there is an old system for 18 year olds to just play baseball. Will college baseball continue as big sport? If someone wants to actually go to school it could be part of their negotiated compensation, but not a scholarship. This is something that could be in collective bargaining I would think.

Oh yes. Lots of details to work out.

I will attempt to address possible answers to the points you raised.

I) Organization Status: This one is a bit tricky for me and I claim no special knowledge here, it may be able to maintain some sort of not profit status under 501(c).

II) I would think the Iowa Hawkeyes Inc. would enter into a long term lease agreement with the University for facilities. The University will still want Carver for graduation, etc.

III) There are no scholarships for football and basketball at that point. Possibly baseball as well. Baseball is a weird one since there is an old system for 18 year olds to just play baseball. Will college baseball continue as big sport? If someone wants to actually go to school it could be part of their negotiated compensation, but not a scholarship. This is something that could be in collective bargaining I would think.
Good answers.

I) I'm a retired CPA, although not an expert in non-profits. But I can see no pathway to any sort of tax-exempt status.

II) Agree. Rent on Kinnick alone could be a very large number, if they actually look at similar stadium rental agreements.

III) Yup.

It's ok. The B1G and SEC are already planning their exit from the NCAA to form their own "pro" league. I also think it will lead to some type of partnership with the NFL.
I used to think that was very unlikely. But all of this happening so fast and at the same time as the BigTen and SEC release a cryptic press release about starting an Advisory Group has to make you wonder….

Good answers.

I) I'm a retired CPA, although not an expert in non-profits. But I can see no pathway to any sort of tax-exempt status.

II) Agree. Rent on Kinnick alone could be a very large number, if they actually look at similar stadium rental agreements.

III) Yup.
Nah, just build a beauty of a state of the art stadium elsewhere.

Football stadium used to be on the east bank of the Iowa river about a half mile or so from where it is now.

What is the end game for declaring athletes to be employees of a school? Will they even need to be students any longer? Might as well test, too, while they're at it. It's like they're following a (il)logic tree right off a cliff.
Politics--like it or not-,is a game of "control". Politicians? They see the money in college sports. Politicians believe any and all money is theirs, by some twisted sense of "divine right".

might as well have the B1G and SEC operate like the NFL. Draft players, trades, 53 man roster, salary cap and so on. College football and basketball is ruined. Thanks JBO

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
I will repeat it yet again.

The schools should spin them off as subsidiary corporations, thus retaining ownership and just taking the annual profit. Treat the players as employees and forget school. Offer them a discounted education if they want it. But lets be real, education is an afterthought in all of this.
This is it. They will no longer be students - as if they are now as we learned from the North Carolina exposure. It is like a runaway freight train, unstoppable, and supported by the courts. As subsidiary corporations, they will crash Title 9. Good news? If Iowa ever gets a quarterback, they will be able to keep him for ten or twelve years. College football is the minor leagues. P2 are like triple A ball. Big 12, double A - many of the rest will, as time goes on, drop the sport. But in the end, ESPN and FOX will have the continual big matchups they seek, and will make a ton of money. I read where 18 schools make up 50% of College FB viewership. There is your reasoning for sports media to push this.

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I think we should also quit the 4 or 5 year cap on playing. If a coach wants a kid for 7 years, let them be under contract and play.

If the upper crust college teams became affiliated with NFL teams in some manner, which one would most fit with Iowa?

Basketball and Football will leave the NCAA. The NCAA will be the sports that are left and it will at least be real student athletes.
I don't doubt it one bit. Unfortunately at that point it will become just a lower talent/lower tier semi-pro league of younger players. I'm not even sure the relationship between these new leagues and their schools will be maintained once this break occurs.

Who in the hell will even be interested in watching and supporting teams in this brave new world? Not this guy and I suspect most current fans will feel much the same way. They've inadvertently killed the golden goose in the equation and once the money dries up (and it will quite quickly), it's game over except for those hardcore fans out there who will bother to watch Arena League football or G-League basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT