ADVERTISEMENT

No longer a fluke

Yeah, I posted in another thread that we have a team of slow white guys. Man defense isn't the answer with this team. Can only hope the opponent won't get hot from outside.

I'm not going to go there as far as skin color. I've joked many times on here that Iowa needs more brothas on the team. The problem is a lot of the brothas they have had on the team haven't been good either.

Besides, there have been plenty of white guys over the years who could D up. Iowa just doesn't have any.

Reactions: papabeef
So is it Frans fault when this doesn't happen the other 25 or so games?

The reality is there is no coaching that can make Garza a viable man to man defender.

Iowa has to play zone and hope some bum doesn't become James Harden for a game.

Iowa played man to start the game. They got blown out shortly after they switched to zone defense and Devonte Green came in off the bench and hit his first three 3-balls--all in Fredricks part of the zone. The 4th Devontey Green 3pt shot was Touisant out on zone and he let Devonte have a clean shot because either he had a brain fart or because Devonte was a couple feet behind the line he wasn't supposed to go out on him. The 5th attempt, Riley Till defended it and the shot missed badly or was partially blocked, but unfortunately Riley Till got called for a foul.

You gotta play zone when Kriener+ Garza are playing, but he 4 guard lineup can play some man.

Supposedly advanced statistics say defense doesn't impact 3pt shooting percentage, but it was night and day difference in how easy Devonte Green was able to get off his 3pt shots vs how JoeW/Fredrick struggled to get clean 3pt looks. Indiana guarded Fredrick and JoeW at the 3pt line. Most games you don't have to guard JoeT or Bakari from the 3 and Connor is spotty as a 3pt shooter.

Reactions: unclesammy
I’ve been watching Iowa basketball for a long time. The OP is right on needing better defense. Not sure about getting a young coach. But one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the BIG just kicked our ass. So maybe the guy telling the Op to shut up can offer a solution as this has been a recurring issue under Fran. Great offense. Horrible defense.

Can we give the team a break? They replaced two upperclassmen with Toussaint and Frederick. Also have had two key contributors out all season in Bohannon and Nunge. Now Frederick is injured as well.
We shouldn't be where we are. Just sit back and soak in as much of the Garza hype you can.

Exactly. With all of the defections from last year, and the injuries this year (and Pemsl's untimely dipshit decision making), Garza has almost single-handedly kept Iowa in the race for a B10 title. The only player on this team who has played well at home and on the road is Garza. He's unbelievable. There is no question he should be the national POY. Iowa would be competing with Northwestern for the B10 basement without Garza--that's how good he is!

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
I'm mostly in the shut up camp. Two weeks ago the board was lit up with predictions of only losing a couple more games. Now, we lose a game in Assembly Hall, when Devonte Greene has one of his 5 or 6 great games a year and we have to play much of the game with walk ons in the line up, and we're lining up to say Fran sucks again???

All we hear from the broadcast team, besides IU's upcoming schedule and Luka is great, is that Iowa is playing without Pemsl, ignoring that Pemsl would rarely see the court if JBo, Nunge, and Patrick weren't already on the bench. Now, CJ is out again, and I think we have at least one less loss if he hadn't missed games earlier. Without CJ, it is going to be a whole lot tougher than it already was, to finish in the top 5/6.

The guys kept playing hard until the end. Despite CJ's injury, lousy offensive games by Weesy and JoeT, and Kriener in foul trouble, we didn't get blown away. I'm disappointed by the loss, but I don't think the defense was that bad tonight, everything considered. (Purdue was a different story). I certainly wouldn't mind seeing one of Fran's long-time assistants move on, and a young energy guy take his place. But, now is the time to show up as a fan, keep rooting hard for the team, and respect effort and what has been accomplished with such a short bench.

GO HAWKS!

Last edited:
As with every Fran team it comes down to team defense not getting the job done. Weiskamp is a good offensive player - not so good defensive player, especially against some of the better athletic B1G wing players. Toussaint is work in progress as a frosh. 5 turnovers in 16 minutes is terrible and the outside shot just is not there.I'm impressed with CJ and his tenacity and leadership ability - but of course we lose him to injury. Would have loved to see the Hawks all season with the full roster. Garza is a beast and it would be a travesty if he is not B1G player of the year at this point.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
CJ is one of our better defenders. He was missed. We’re short handed. It’s a problem. We lack quickness and it hurts our rebounding.

Reactions: unclesammy
We not only lost at the three point line but we also lost the rebounding and assist battles as well. We are just not tough enough on the road. Bobby Knight used to say if your defense doesn't travel with you, you are going to lost on the road. I was not a Knight fan but he was right about playing defense in road games.
9 turnovers by our point guards was a killer .

Each game is different. Some days the ball bounces their way, some days ours and some days it's up for grabs and you just need to go after it. Those are the critical games. Overall, I believe we are +3 in RB's

Some days the ball bounces their way, some days ours and some days it's up for grabs and you just need to go after it.

Looked like yesterday must have been one of those up for grabs days...

Iowa played man to start the game. They got blown out shortly after they switched to zone defense and Devonte Green came in off the bench and hit his first three 3-balls--all in Fredricks part of the zone. The 4th Devontey Green 3pt shot was Touisant out on zone and he let Devonte have a clean shot because either he had a brain fart or because Devonte was a couple feet behind the line he wasn't supposed to go out on him. The 5th attempt, Riley Till defended it and the shot missed badly or was partially blocked, but unfortunately Riley Till got called for a foul.

You gotta play zone when Kriener+ Garza are playing, but he 4 guard lineup can play some man.

Supposedly advanced statistics say defense doesn't impact 3pt shooting percentage, but it was night and day difference in how easy Devonte Green was able to get off his 3pt shots vs how JoeW/Fredrick struggled to get clean 3pt looks. Indiana guarded Fredrick and JoeW at the 3pt line. Most games you don't have to guard JoeT or Bakari from the 3 and Connor is spotty as a 3pt shooter.

Maybe the reason Garza scores at will??? 38

The fact that Iowa allows bad three point shooting teams to make season highs in 3s in consecutive road games is on Fran and the coaches.

He needs to get rid of some dead weight and bring in some fresh new blood/younger coaches who are defensive gurus!
Not as easy as it sounds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT