ADVERTISEMENT

No longer a fluke

The fact that Iowa allows bad three point shooting teams to make season highs in 3s in consecutive road games is on Fran and the coaches.

He needs to get rid of some dead weight and bring in some fresh new blood/younger coaches who are defensive gurus!

I don't really think it's an Xs and Os issue. As a coach, there's only so much you can teach. A lot of defense is attitude and desire.

Reactions: papabeef
Our D is a joke, we can't rebound either. But IU made a bunch of BS that always seems to go against us, perfect shit show we can't have nice things type of stuff been going on decades.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Rebounding is a problem that is Frans fault.

Having some nobody Green bum go off on that many 3s that were mostly defended fine is not Frans fault.

Iowa can't play man defense because of Garza.

The fact that Iowa allows bad three point shooting teams to make season highs in 3s in consecutive road games is on Fran and the coaches.

He needs to get rid of some dead weight and bring in some fresh new blood/younger coaches who are defensive gurus!

Like Prohm? He's young, so there you go. Problem solved. Another ****ing waste of flesh who knows how to type.

We not only lost at the three point line but we also lost the rebounding and assist battles as well. We are just not tough enough on the road. Bobby Knight used to say if your defense doesn't travel with you, you are going to lost on the road. I was not a Knight fan but he was right about playing defense in road games.

Reactions: wbrhawkeye
Honestly, it's a really good question. One I'd like to ask Fran.
This team was never going to be a good rebounding team. They don't have bouncey, quick guys. They play a lot of zone.
Most of the stat folks argue that 3 point percentage defense is a junk stat which is mostly reflective of who you play. You can limit number of 3s taken through your defense approach but probably don't affect percentage by much. But if you choose to sell out trying to stop 3 you will have vulnerability in the interior.

wbrhawkeye said:

Like Prohm? He's young, so there you go. Problem solved. Another ****ing waste of flesh who know show to type.
[/quote]
Don’t be bringing your big mama into this discussion. That fat ho can’t help she like too many corn dogs.

Must be hard to type while babbling with your eyes closed and fingers in your ears to shut out any form of reality.

Here’s the reality. Iowa is short handed and likely running out of gas. I don’t see the need to pile on when things are happening that are beyond the coaches and players control. But, hey, if complaining and bitching make ya feel better....have at it.

Rebounding is a problem that is Frans fault.

Having some nobody Green bum go off on that many 3s that were mostly defended fine is not Frans fault.

Iowa can't play man defense because of Garza.
Iowa can't play man because it's a team of slow white guys.

It's coaching mostly. A bad defensive team every few years one could maybe agree with your assessment but Frans teams generally are bad at defense yearly.

I get what you're saying to an extent, but I think a lot of it has to do with Fran's run and gun system coupled with the personnel. Most of the guys he has on the floor are not gifted athletically.

So, in the sense that Iowa's uptempo offensive approach and lack of athletes who can D up like Sapp used to are on Fran, I agree. But in terms of Xs and Os overcoming their athletic limitations, I'm not buying it.

Why do you think they play so much zone? For a team that wants to get up and down the court, man to man defense makes more sense.

Here’s the reality. Iowa is short handed and likely running out of gas. I don’t see the need to pile on when things are happening that are beyond the coaches and players control. But, hey, if complaining and bitching make ya feel better....have at it.
Having opposing teams and/or individual players consistently scoring season high's for points or someone draining 3 after 3 after 3 is not out of the coaches hands.

Only getting 7 offensive rebounds to their 16 is not out of the coaches hands.

I just don't see any coaching happening - it's all about "let's hope Garza plays like a god" or "hope we make 50% of our three's." Not seeing any good offensive strategy.

So is it Frans fault when this doesn't happen the other 25 or so games?

The reality is there is no coaching that can make Garza a viable man to man defender.

Iowa has to play zone and hope some bum doesn't become James Harden for a game.

I get what you're saying to an extent, but I think a lot of it has to do with Fran's run and gun system coupled with the personnel. Most of the guys he has on the floor are not gifted athletically.

So, in the sense that Iowa's uptempo offensive approach and lack of athletes who can D up like Sapp used to are on Fran, I agree. But in terms of Xs and Os overcoming their athletic limitations, I'm not buying it.

Why do you think they play so much zone? For a team that wants to get up and down the court, man to man defense makes more sense.
Yeah, I posted in another thread that we have a team of slow white guys. Man defense isn't the answer with this team. Can only hope the opponent won't get hot from outside.

Having opposing teams and/or individual players consistently scoring season high's for points or someone draining 3 after 3 after 3 is not out of the coaches hands.

Only getting 7 offensive rebounds to their 16 is not out of the coaches hands.

I just don't see any coaching happening - it's all about "let's hope Garza plays like a god" or "hope we make 50% of our three's." Not seeing any good offensive strategy.
Come on man. "Not seeing any good offensive strategy. " They are literally one of the most efficient offenses in the country. And your argument is that none of this is due to coaching.

Can we give the team a break? They replaced two upperclassmen with Toussaint and Frederick. Also have had two key contributors out all season in Bohannon and Nunge. Now Frederick is injured as well.
We shouldn't be where we are. Just sit back and soak in as much of the Garza hype you can.

Come on man. "Not seeing any good offensive strategy. " They are literally one of the most efficient offenses in the country. And your argument is that none of this is due to coaching.

There is literally no point in trying to talk sense to Ark. Iowa is #3 in offensive efficiency but Fran gets no credit from the usual complainers. However, when it comes to defense, Fran gets all the blame.

Reactions: RLMHAWK
There is literally no point in trying to talk sense to Ark. Iowa is #3 in offensive efficiency but Fran gets no credit from the usual complainers. However, when it comes to defense, Fran gets all the blame.
Yes, you guys are right. Overall, the issues are certainly not on the offensive side. Our defense is what's killing us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT