ADVERTISEMENT

NO ONE WANTS TO WORK ANYMORE

Depends, my hourly rate for bookkeeping is $50 an hour. Now we do multiple small jobs, and some of them get into the $25 to $30 range for what eventually become billable. Now hiring as a fulltime is a different ballgame. I found it difficult to hire anyone and retain them for under $40k/year that is decent.

It sounds to me like she was talking about full time work since her current job sounds full time.

But yes a premium is usually paid for people doing short time gigs.

Very few places does $70k/household get you a life worth living anymore. The older generation is completely out of touch with what it takes to get by today. We start installers with zero experience at $20/hour. After 90 days they’re getting a raise. In a year if they continue to climb the ladder with us they’re making $26/hr. Guess what? We have zero problem finding employees. Pay people a decent wage and they will come.
Curious about the installer's job and what it entails. I work at the UI Hospital and it's just such a toxic work environment that I am considering leaving, heck even Mcdonald's is now paying more than the UI. They are having such a hard time hiring and keeping people that at one point last year, they had 4,000 jobs on the line. They now have a signing bonus but the wages are still low so jobs are still slow to fill.

The benefits used to be a big reason to stay but they have lowered the coverage and increased the cost for everything year over year. New hires are also taking it in the shorts with the 401k not being the 2-1 match it was when I was hired and they now pass on the administration fee to your paycheck for that 401k.

I have a hard time finding engineers to hire. It is a bit of a niche role, but it is surprising to me how few applicants I get. It is a bit better very recently.
New grad jobs are just shy of 80k, 3-4 years is low to mid 90s, 5-8 years is 100-115k or so. My company has made a big change in out of cycle raises, so I see that as an improvement and salaries have bumped up for the 2-8 years experience category.

I've seen a big decrease in working extra hours. I say we need this done by x day, if it requires extra hours, then that is the expectation. I'd say 10 hours 2-3 weeks per year is typical, definitely not common. If someone isn't willing to do that in a professional role with good pay, then I am less likely to fight for extra for them. If they hit deadlines, then I don't ask for extra. It feels crappy to ask for extra, but I almost always am with them in these cases.

Many people don't want to be in Iowa. I understand the weather part, but "no stuff to do" is a lazy argument.

Reactions: Sheahawk
I have a hard time finding engineers to hire. It is a bit of a niche role, but it is surprising to me how few applicants I get. It is a bit better very recently.
New grad jobs are just shy of 80k, 3-4 years is low to mid 90s, 5-8 years is 100-115k or so. My company has made a big change in out of cycle raises, so I see that as an improvement and salaries have bumped up for the 2-8 years experience category.

I've seen a big decrease in working extra hours. I say we need this done by x day, if it requires extra hours, then that is the expectation. I'd say 10 hours 2-3 weeks per year is typical, definitely not common. If someone isn't willing to do that in a professional role with good pay, then I am less likely to fight for extra for them. If they hit deadlines, then I don't ask for extra. It feels crappy to ask for extra, but I almost always am with them in these cases.

Many people don't want to be in Iowa. I understand the weather part, but "no stuff to do" is a lazy argument.
Politics are shit in Iowa, too. They don’t want college educated people to live in Iowa apparently.

Reactions: littlez
Wage_theft_versus_other_crimes.png

Wait

You all are still discussing nobody wants to work any more a couple years later?

I keep trying to get a job as a bar stool tester

Honestly, what is the your answer to this problem? I’m 75 yrs old…hamburger flippers are starting at $13-15 an hour…and these joints are having to cut hours because they can’t fund help? It’s hard for be to fathom. Summer jobs in Metro include “life guard” jobs paying $13-18/ hour…these are jobs designed for school kids… and they can’t be filled! When I was 25 y/o, I couldn’t find a manufacturing job that paid much more than $5/ hour… and there are damn few of those jobs available….and long lines for these few jobs!

Honestly, what is the your answer to this problem? I’m 75 yrs old…hamburger flippers are starting at $13-15 an hour…and these joints are having to cut hours because they can’t fund help? It’s hard for be to fathom. Summer jobs in Metro include “life guard” jobs paying $13-18/ hour…these are jobs designed for school kids… and they can’t be filled! When I was 25 y/o, I couldn’t find a manufacturing job that paid much more than $5/ hour… and there are damn few of those jobs available….and long lines for these few jobs!

There are long lines waiting for jobs now. HR doesn't reply to 99% of resumes they receive. I know this from personal experience with my wife (Physical Therapy), myself (IT), my son (Teacher for god sake) and daughter (College grad looking for anything).

If there is a labor shortage it's because the boomers retired.

I'm not blaming them for that but they made up such an outsized portion of the population that it's going to affect the labor market very heavily when they all stopped working.

Reactions: goldmom

Have you ever flipped hamburgers? Have you ever worked in a service job dealing directly with the public?

Have you ever flipped hamburgers? Have you ever worked in a service job dealing directly with the public?

I just noticed that he talked about how manufacturing jobs 50 years ago were $5 an hour.

The average home 50 years ago cost 37,500.

So at $5 an hour that's 7500 hours of work to buy a home.

The average home price now is over 400,000

At $15 an hour that's 26,666 hours of work.

In order to get to a similar place to where he was 50 years ago vs home prices one would have to be earning $53.33 an hour which is about $111,000 a year.

Well its been 18 years since i punched in for work, but i enjoyed 37 years as a union machinist. We worked 40 hour a week, but if a rush job was close to being finished we would work the overtime. This would allow the product be sent out a day early, keeping the customer happy. After talking to a few co-workers recently this is no long practiced. Too many changes now, and glad i'm retired.

Last edited:
There are long lines waiting for jobs now. HR doesn't reply to 99% of resumes they receive. I know this from personal experience with my wife (Physical Therapy), myself (IT), my son (Teacher for god sake) and daughter (College grad looking for anything).
In Des Moines..jobs galore 13-15/hr. Fast food joints on 86th…there’s plenty if work available for entry level/ kids..Food/service industry will hire damn near anything warm! Thats what I was referencing..

In Des Moines..jobs galore 13-15/hr. Fast food joints on 86th…there’s plenty if work available for entry level/ kids..Food/service industry will hire damn near anything warm! Thats what I was referencing..

Again, just because they advertise job’s doesn’t mean they are actually hiring anyone. They will get 100 applicants for every job, so most applicants don’t even get a response.

My son has a Bachelor’s in Health and PE, and a Masters in Special Education. Veteran. Athlete. Great personality. Great references. Volunteer experience with Special Ed students. Double certified. He attended half a dozen school district open houses in NOVA, talked to probably 30 schools. Got zero interviews.

Finally got a job at a hellhole private school for kids incapable of attend public’s for $50k.

I blame HR departments, because when our company tries to hire for a position it’s a nightmare.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT