ADVERTISEMENT

Unemployed Gen Zers are having to turn down work because they can’t afford the commute and uniform

Sharky1203

HR All-American
Silver Member
Sep 14, 2023
After going through multiple interview rounds, impressing the hiring manager and landing the gig, Gen Zers are being forced to turn down the roles they've been offered because of the associated costs with starting a new job, new research shows.

A survey of more than 2,000 16 to 25-year-olds in the U.K. for The Prince’s Trust annual NatWest Youth Index 2024 found that the cost of living is making the youth of today feel anxious about their future and limiting their career aspirations.

From needing to fork out for a new uniform (or rather, work-appropriate clothes) to splashing out on a travel card to clock in to work—it’s all tallying up. One in 10 unemployed Gen Zers have had to turn down a job because of such costs.

Worryingly, money confidence has hit the lowest level on record in the 15 years since the index started monitoring the wellbeing of young people in the U.K.—over half of those surveyed are afraid they’ll never be financially secure and just thinking about money is enough to stress out over a third of them.

This is particularly acute among young women, with 60% worrying that the soaring cost of living will keep them from achieving financial security. Meanwhile, half fear they won't make enough to support a family. In comparison, around 45% of young men have the same concerns.

TikTok advice​

So where are they turning for money advice? TikTok, of course. The number of 16-25-year-olds surveyed turning to the social media platform for lessons in the likes of “loud budgeting” has doubled since 2022, according to the research.

The trust said the findings revealed that the current economic climate is having “drastic consequences” on the “confidence, wellbeing and aspirations for the future” of young would-be workers, particularly among those from the poorest backgrounds—and overall, it’s impacting their mental health.

“This trap, where poor mental health and employment struggles exacerbate each other, threatens to close in on this generation unless we take immediate action,” said Jonathan Townsend, the U.K. chief executive of the Prince’s Trust.

Mental health is the second biggest killer of dreams​

As Townsend points out, unemployed youngsters are finding themselves in a vicious cycle where being unemployed is bad for their mental health—but at the same time, their mental health is impacting their ability to work.

A staggering 40% of respondents said that suffer from mental health struggles and a third worry that it will stop them from achieving their career goals.

For a sizable chunk of young workers, their mental health is already getting in the way of their job: One in five have missed school or work in the past year, 18% have felt too bogged down to even apply for jobs, and 12% couldn’t face going to interviews.

Meanwhile, one in 10 young people from poorer backgrounds have quit their jobs this year due to mental health challenges.

Separate research has echoed that even when young workers do show face, an overwhelming majority are missing the equivalent of a day’s work every week. Essentially, they’re coming into the office but they’re so mentally absent that they struggle to actually achieve anything for almost 50 days a year.

How employers can help​

Despite the bleak findings, the research “presents a window of hope”, according to Townsend—that’s because, Gen Z has outlined exactly how employers can step in to help them.

For a third of respondents this looks like support with securing work experience, advice on how to write a CV and conduct themselves in interviews, and training on how to build job-specific skills.

“The overwhelming majority of young people tell us they remain determined to achieve their goals,” Townsend concluded. “What they require however is practical support and guidance to overcome the challenges they face, particularly as the world of work continues to rapidly change.”

This story was originally featured on Fortune.com

Look, I know in advance that this is where I will come across as old and out of touch, but here's the problem as I see it:

1. Parents raise kids to be happy, but don't complement that with accountability and/or competitiveness. So kids grow up not realizing that they're about to enter a competition for limited resources (good jobs) and if they're not prepared, then no one is giving them anything, and no one is going to care.

2. "Mental health struggles" is being used to describe everything that takes away from kids' happiness and freedom to do whatever they want. Yes, there are people with REAL mental health issues. I think there are a lot more that use it as a built-in excuse for whenever they don't want to put in the hard work needed to succeed, or when they find out that their safe space doesn't exist outside of the bubble they've lived in when other people were paying for them and hand-feeding them their life.

I've had to work through this with the daughter, who's still in college - so she has some time - but I'm now having to prepare her for the reality that no one is going to care about your backstory. No one is going to care about your struggles. It's yes or no. Did you do what you were supposed to? Yes, or no? If no, then move along because someone else will. If yes, you're not getting a pat on the head, because you were supposed to do it.

Putting yourself in a position to be successful in life is HARD - unless you and your family are already rich when you start out. You're going to have to start out at a lower level and prove you're better than other people at whatever it is. You're going to have to prove that you don't mind "earning it" by working extra/later to prove to people that you deserve to keep getting opportunities.

Too many young people are being taught that they deserve to have a life that makes them happy, but they're not being taught that the happiness they want usually costs money, and that money comes from doing the thing that might not make you happy. And that money comes after you do the thing, that leads to the thing, that leads to the thing you want, or that pays enough to give you a version of the life you've imagined.

It really is a matter of preparing yourself - mentally and through the acquisition of skills and a solid work ethic - to be competitive and successful. Otherwise these kids "One in five have missed school or work in the past year, 18% have felt too bogged down to even apply for jobs, and 12% couldn’t face going to interviews." are going to have long, disappointing lives of struggling to make ends meet and/or continuing to live off parents who were hoping to get those kids out on their own.

Look, I know in advance that this is where I will come across as old and out of touch, but here's the problem as I see it:

1. Parents raise kids to be happy, but don't complement that with accountability and/or competitiveness. So kids grow up not realizing that they're about to enter a competition for limited resources (good jobs) and if they're not prepared, then no one is giving them anything, and no one is going to care.

2. "Mental health struggles" is being used to describe everything that takes away from kids' happiness and freedom to do whatever they want. Yes, there are people with REAL mental health issues. I think there are a lot more that use it as a built-in excuse for whenever they don't want to put in the hard work needed to succeed, or when they find out that their safe space doesn't exist outside of the bubble they've lived in when other people were paying for them and hand-feeding them their life.

I've had to work through this with the daughter, who's still in college - so she has some time - but I'm now having to prepare her for the reality that no one is going to care about your backstory. No one is going to care about your struggles. It's yes or no. Did you do what you were supposed to? Yes, or no? If no, then move along because someone else will. If yes, you're not getting a pat on the head, because you were supposed to do it.

Putting yourself in a position to be successful in life is HARD - unless you and your family are already rich when you start out. You're going to have to start out at a lower level and prove you're better than other people at whatever it is. You're going to have to prove that you don't mind "earning it" by working extra/later to prove to people that you deserve to keep getting opportunities.

Too many young people are being taught that they deserve to have a life that makes them happy, but they're not being taught that the happiness they want usually costs money, and that money comes from doing the thing that might not make you happy. And that money comes after you do the thing, that leads to the thing, that leads to the thing you want, or that pays enough to give you a version of the life you've imagined.

It really is a matter of preparing yourself - mentally and through the acquisition of skills and a solid work ethic - to be competitive and successful. Otherwise these kids "One in five have missed school or work in the past year, 18% have felt too bogged down to even apply for jobs, and 12% couldn’t face going to interviews." are going to have long, disappointing lives of struggling to make ends meet and/or continuing to live off parents who were hoping to get those kids out on their own.
I actually read all of this. Well written.

Reactions: NDallasRuss

I tell my students this repeatedly. They are high school age so they need to hear it. The only person who ultimately cares about your well being for the next 50 years is yourself. Nobody else is going to do the things that need to be done for your success for you. Nobody else can do those things. Having mommy and daddy do your homework for you isn't going to help you pass a test. The reality that they will be legal adults in less than 4 years seems far off for a lot of them.

I can't make them make better decisions, but I can at least make it so they can't say "nobody told me it would be like this!". Ideally, after f*****g around waiting for something to fall in their lap that never happens, they will remember just one of my soapbox speeches and get motivated to sit down and do the work required to be successful. For what it's worth, I've had several students come back and thank me for making the class difficult because it helped them deal with these things.

I tell my students this repeatedly. They are high school age so they need to hear it. The only person who ultimately cares about your well being for the next 50 years is yourself. Nobody else is going to do the things that need to be done for your success for you. Nobody else can do those things. Having mommy and daddy do your homework for you isn't going to help you pass a test. The reality that they will be legal adults in less than 4 years seems far off for a lot of them.

I can't make them make better decisions, but I can at least make it so they can't say "nobody told me it would be like this!". Ideally, after f*****g around waiting for something to fall in their lap that never happens, they will remember just one of my soapbox speeches and get motivated to sit down and do the work required to be successful. For what it's worth, I've had several students come back and thank me for making the class difficult because it helped them deal with these things.
I think it's really important for them to hear that, even if they don't want to.

The daughter is still stuck in the thinking that everyone should be treated the same, and everyone should succeed that comes with youth - and bless her for it - but I'm trying to make sure she understands that while she's thinking that, there's a whole other group out there that realizes that it's a competition, and they'll stab you in the back if they think it'll get them ahead. She may not need to be one of them, but she needs to know that's the reality, and that's what she has to be prepared to compete against. Otherwise she's going to be disappointed and I don't want that for her - at least not as a result of not being prepared for what it's going to be like.

Reactions: BioHawk
BS. Don't buy for a second
Are you serious? This is absolutely a thing. There are a lot of entry-level jobs that require purchasing uniforms, or have a dress code that would require people to spend hundreds of dollars before they’ve even gotten a paycheck.

Is stories like this all the time on Reddit, too.

Reactions: Wendy79
you-might-wanna-look-me-up-sometime-barbara-connor.gif

Not too bad. I agree with a lot of that.

I

Best post I have read here in a long time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT