ADVERTISEMENT

No Post About Oklahoma Racists?

slieb85

HR Heisman
Jan 8, 2002
Chicago/NYC
Obama's fault, I'm sure.

Here's Big Game Bob protesting with the students this morning.

B_qNrZzUsAAp3vc.jpg:large

Pieces of crap

We'll wait until Sharpton gets there and demands $2 million to go away.

It was reported that the students in the house have just a day to vacate the house. I'm sort of surprised they don't have better tenant rights in OK. In Iowa you must give 30 days for a tenant to move. IMO this seems an over reaction to toss all students out of their home onto the street because some people who live in the same house expressed racist views in private. This is America, you're allowed to be a racists if you want to be and you sure aren't expected to to police the racist views of your roommates.

Jugding by the first sentence in the first post in this thread, I'd say slieb has no real interest in having a grownup discussion on this issue.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by TJ8869:
Jugding by the first sentence in the first post in this thread, I'd say slieb has no real interest in having a grownup discussion on this issue.
It was sarcasm. It was a play on the fact that it's a well-known conservative claim that Obama is hurting race relations. Hence the term, often seen on this very website, of "The Great Divider."

I'd gladly have a discussion about how racism is far more prevalent in 2015, in the USA, than most people are willing to admit. Do you want to have that conversation?

Originally posted by slieb85:

Originally posted by TJ8869:
It was sarcasm. It was a play on the fact that it's a well-known conservative claim that Obama is hurting race relations. Hence the term, often seen on this very website, of "The Great Divider."

I'd gladly have a discussion about how racism is far more prevalent in 2015, in the USA, than most people are willing to admit. Do you want to have that conversation?
OK

I agree racism is pretty prevalent today. What do you think about what BHO said in his Selma speech about recognizing that despite this truth, we are progressing in the proper direction? I think thats undeniably true if you take 1961 as your starting point compared to today. However, what if you took 2005 or 1995 as the starting date?

Are we structurally less racist today than we were 10-20 years ago? I'm not sure. The VRA and affirmative action are both weakened and there are dozens of new laws making it disproportionately more difficult for minorities to vote. The criminalization of being a black man continues to rise. Opinion polls shows racist attitudes are on the up swing. It seems to me we've taken our eye off the ball a bit here in recent years.

Reactions: Rudedolph
Originally posted by naturalmwa:
It was reported that the students in the house have just a day to vacate the house. I'm sort of surprised they don't have better tenant rights in OK. In Iowa you must give 30 days for a tenant to move. IMO this seems an over reaction to toss all students out of their home onto the street because some people who live in the same house expressed racist views in private. This is America, you're allowed to be a racists if you want to be and you sure aren't expected to to police the racist views of your roommates.
If everyone in the South was evicted from their homes for being racist, the world would be facing the greatest humanitarian disaster since the time of Noah.

I was never in a frat and in general, hate the entire concept of frat's/sororities. What these moron's did is about as stupid as they come.

Natural - I generally agree with your sentiment about being able to be a racist if you want to...guess it's your choice. What I find strange about this circumstance though is that this was GROUP racism, not two people talking in hushed tones amongst each other. It's hard to believe in today's times that an entire busload of people would be singing/chanting something like that. That's the part I find disturbing.

Also - talk about stereotyping. Tell me the one preppy little white guy (basically the only one that we can see his face) doesn't fit the prototypical stereotype for what you envision a frat boy to look like. Dude needs to be punched in the mouth.

Good thing SCOTUS declared racism over in this country. Gives conservatives plenty of room to be racist.

Originally posted by BondHawk:

If everyone in the South was evicted from their homes for being racist, the world would be facing the greatest humanitarian disaster since the time of Noah.
Stereotype much?

Originally posted by nowalkin:
I was never in a frat and in general, hate the entire concept of frat's/sororities. What these moron's did is about as stupid as they come.

Natural - I generally agree with your sentiment about being able to be a racist if you want to...guess it's your choice. What I find strange about this circumstance though is that this was GROUP racism, not two people talking in hushed tones amongst each other. It's hard to believe in today's times that an entire busload of people would be singing/chanting something like that. That's the part I find disturbing.

Also - talk about stereotyping. Tell me the one preppy little white guy (basically the only one that we can see his face) doesn't fit the prototypical stereotype for what you envision a frat boy to look like. Dude needs to be punched in the mouth.
I agree with you too. I have no issue with the university closing the fraternity or the fraternity organization expelling the members. I do have an issue with a landlord being able to kick you out of your home with 24 hours notice because they didn't like what you or your roommate said on a bus. I hope those students sue SAE and win. SAE should simply take the letters down and let the student live in the house until the semester is up IMO.

Originally posted by jscott78:
Good thing SCOTUS declared racism over in this country. Gives conservatives plenty of room to be racist.
Sure thing they're Vanilla ice. Hey fun fact about Jscott everyone. He's not even black.

Originally posted by nowalkin:

I agree with you too. I have no issue with the university closing the fraternity or the fraternity organization expelling the members. I do have an issue with a landlord being able to kick you out of your home with 24 hours notice because they didn't like what you or your roommate said on a bus. I hope those students sue SAE and win. SAE should simply take the letters down and let the student live in the house until the semester is up IMO.
I'm guessing they signed away their rights. In an ordinary situation, they would probably be afforded protection. Fraternity houses are not the same as a rental apartment.

Originally posted by slieb85:

I'm aware it was sarcasm. It still looks petty when you stoop to the level of people you think you are better than.

I'm all for having a rational discussion about race relations so long as we're checking insults and sarcasm at the door.

Feel free to begin.

What would the public opinion be if a black fraternity sang a song about crackers? Curious to see if people think there would be such a public outcry

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT