ADVERTISEMENT

No Second Doses in Polk County

pablow

HR Legend
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2010
Due to the brilliance of Polk County Health Director Helen Eddy and her posse, Polk county residents that recived dose one of the Moderna vaccine, can't get dose two. Ms. Eddy failed to assure that any vaccines were retained for second doses. She irresponsibly banked on a new supply of Moderna to cover second doses. Well Iowa didn't get enough Moderna to cover those awaiting their second doses. So unless more Moderna arrives - soon, thousand and thousands will have to get in line again and start with dose one. This woman and anyone else involved should be fired.

Here the Polk County Health Department press release from a week ago -

(Des Moines, IA) – On behalf of Polk County hospitals, clinics and pharmacies, we want to thank our community for their patience and understanding as we continue vaccinating individuals eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine as efficiently as possible. Collectively, we are committed to keeping everyone safe and healthy.

We are asking the public to please be patient. We are grateful that our community is eager to receive vaccines, and we are excited to administer the vaccinations as we receive them. However, at this time, demand for the COVID-19 vaccine far exceeds supply. Each week, our hospitals, clinics and pharmacies receive different allocation amounts.

We enjoyed a large allocation in January which allowed us to vaccinate more people. This is unusual for our typical vaccine allocation. At this time, our priority is to focus on providing second doses. Limited first dose appointments are still being scheduled at clinics and select pharmacies.

With limited vaccine allocations, you may not receive your second dose of the Moderna vaccine on the exact day or week that it is due. While there may be a delay in receiving the second dose of the Moderna vaccine, please be assured that the timing of your second dose will not compromise the effectiveness of your vaccination and you will not have to start the series over again. While it remains important to get your second dose of the Moderna vaccine, fortunately, individuals receive significant protection against the COVID-19 virus within 10 days of receiving your first dose.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the second dose should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible. However, if it is not feasible to adhere to the recommended interval and a delay in vaccination is unavoidable, the second dose of Moderna vaccines may be administered up to 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose. If the second dose is administered within the 42-day interval, there is no need to restart the series. There is currently limited data on efficacy of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines if the second dose is administered beyond this window.

The whole second dose thing is making me wonder. Yes two doses is the plan for the big 2 vaccines but there is growing evidence that 1 dose of said vaccines is extremely effective in preventing severe illness and death.

Here is a link to the dozens of article that are speaking to this. Imagine rolling out a single dose. World Meter has 70.5 million doses of the vaccine dished out. Thats 70.5 million vaccinated people.

Can I make a nomination for the next Polk County Health Director?

CountvonCount_Web_1024.jpg

Methinks you doth protest a bit too much, Pablow!
What was the correct solution here? Give only half of the available dosages...? Basically, you got to get the vaccine in the arms ASAP...let’s see what happens...I am supposed to get #2 in 2 weeks..I am still scheduled.
Everyone knew at best this was gonna be a soup sandwich..but at least there are vaccines available...Have fun organizing your “ firing” party..you have high standards.

Roll out from the start has been a disaster on all levels, it continues to be not so good.
You guys act as though you just push a button and the roll out happens...it never works that way. Plus, remember who had the foresight to disband the pandemic people 2-3 years ago because they were a waste of money. Seems that the big problem is supply of vaccines...and the weather if the past couple of weeks has complicated the logistics. Take a deep breath, Boyz.

You guys act as though you just push a button and the roll out happens...it never works that way. Plus, remember who had the foresight to disband the pandemic people 2-3 years ago because they were a waste of money. Seems that the big problem is supply of vaccines...and the weather if the past couple of weeks has complicated the logistics. Take a deep breath, Boyz.
For once we agree.

Reactions: goldmom
There are still some bumps in the road but nationwide supplies are becoming more plentiful and steady. If not for the weather disaster of ten days ago it would have already gotten to this stage. Joel is right (😞)
Even Alabama, which is reportedly #50 in vaccines in arms, has delivered second doses to folks.

For once we agree.
People like to make mountains out of molehills. Pablow comes across like this gal intentionally screwed this up. I’m betting she did her best with what she had to work with. I think the guy who needed to get fired, got fired last November. ;) Not some county employee in Polk County, Iowa.

Methinks you doth protest a bit too much, Pablow!
What was the correct solution here? Give only half of the available dosages...? Basically, you got to get the vaccine in the arms ASAP...let’s see what happens...I am supposed to get #2 in 2 weeks..I am still scheduled.
Everyone knew at best this was gonna be a soup sandwich..but at least there are vaccines available...Have fun organizing your “ firing” party..you have high standards.

Are you serious? You do realize Polk County changed the system after the screwup. All vaccines now go to second dose and then the overflow to first doses. And you're defending the mistake. Unreal.

And, vaccines aren't just laying around. It's a revolving stockpile - one comes in, one goes out.

If you got the Pfizer you're probably okay. It's the Moderna that has been shorted.

This isn't that complicated.

Regardless of some blips along the way, President Biden's leadership is all in and doing all they can to solve this enormous problem. Just my opinion, but that seems a lot better than what was happening before January 20th.

Due to the brilliance of Polk County Health Director Helen Eddy and her posse, Polk county residents that recived dose one of the Moderna vaccine, can't get dose two. Ms. Eddy failed to assure that any vaccines were retained for second doses. She irresponsibly banked on a new supply of Moderna to cover second doses. Well Iowa didn't get enough Moderna to cover those awaiting their second doses. So unless more Moderna arrives - soon, thousand and thousands will have to get in line again and start with dose one. This woman and anyone else involved should be fired.

Here the Polk County Health Department press release from a week ago -

(Des Moines, IA) – On behalf of Polk County hospitals, clinics and pharmacies, we want to thank our community for their patience and understanding as we continue vaccinating individuals eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine as efficiently as possible. Collectively, we are committed to keeping everyone safe and healthy.

We are asking the public to please be patient. We are grateful that our community is eager to receive vaccines, and we are excited to administer the vaccinations as we receive them. However, at this time, demand for the COVID-19 vaccine far exceeds supply. Each week, our hospitals, clinics and pharmacies receive different allocation amounts.

We enjoyed a large allocation in January which allowed us to vaccinate more people. This is unusual for our typical vaccine allocation. At this time, our priority is to focus on providing second doses. Limited first dose appointments are still being scheduled at clinics and select pharmacies.

With limited vaccine allocations, you may not receive your second dose of the Moderna vaccine on the exact day or week that it is due. While there may be a delay in receiving the second dose of the Moderna vaccine, please be assured that the timing of your second dose will not compromise the effectiveness of your vaccination and you will not have to start the series over again. While it remains important to get your second dose of the Moderna vaccine, fortunately, individuals receive significant protection against the COVID-19 virus within 10 days of receiving your first dose.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the second dose should be administered as close to the recommended interval as possible. However, if it is not feasible to adhere to the recommended interval and a delay in vaccination is unavoidable, the second dose of Moderna vaccines may be administered up to 6 weeks (42 days) after the first dose. If the second dose is administered within the 42-day interval, there is no need to restart the series. There is currently limited data on efficacy of mRNA COVID-19 vaccines if the second dose is administered beyond this window.
I’m confused. Is there another press release that says what your dialogue says? Are people for sure not going to get a second dose?

People like to make mountains out of molehills. Pablow comes across like this gal intentionally screwed this up. I’m betting she did her best with what she had to work with. I think the guy who needed to get fired, got fired last November. ;) Not some county employee in Polk County, Iowa.

I bet if it's discovered that Kim Reynold told her to do it, you'd be having a seizure.

I’m confused. Is there another press release that says what your dialogue says? Are people for sure not going to get a second dose?

You didn't read my post. Try again. I said unless more Moderna arrives, the deadline for the second dose will pass and some will have to start over.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
It’s easy to criticize government employees when one has never been involved. I’m guilty of that as well, even having been involved in public health issues myself.

Reactions: goldmom
Are you serious? You do realize Polk County changed the system after the screwup. All vaccines now go to second dose and then the overflow to first doses. And you're defending the mistake. Unreal.

And, vaccines aren't just laying around. It's a revolving stockpile - one comes in, one goes out.

If you got the Pfizer you're probably okay. It's the Moderna that has been shorted.

This isn't that complicated.
Yeah...the second doses ( Moderna) are the ones with a higher priority, I would think. Scheduled 28 days ( to up to 42days) after the first shot...I can see where it is a priority to FINISH the vaccines before starting a new series...there is Pfizer and now J/J too...we probably are on the downhill side of this thing now Pablow...again, I don’t think I would be firing some well intended county employee unless you can prove she conspired against the good citizens of Polk County.,
In a couple of weeks I get mt second shot...what am I to think? Other than the system worked as explained....

You didn't read my post. Try again. I said unless more Moderna arrives, the deadline for the second dose will pass and some will have to start over.
I’m guessing they feel pretty confident that’s not gonna happen by them “assuring”. I wonder if this is only a Des Moines problem?

The title of the thread does not match the press release. If they screwed up, they screwed up. But at least be honest about it.

It’s easy to criticize government employees when one has never been involved. I’m guilty of that as well, even having been involved in public health issues myself.
I had an aunt that was a public health nurse in St. Louis. Back in the early 50’s she ramrodded polio vaccinations for the county. She was very efficient and took no shit from her patients. She received several commendations for her work in vaccinating the poor and indigent...and she had a couple of folks complain that she was “abrupt and rude”....But as she said, “ abrupt and rude or not” she vaccinated hundreds of St. Louians in a timely manner.
You can’t win.

Now now, Pablow is deeply in love with the guy who got fired in November. He craves to take long, warm showers with him.

It's called click bate. I don't have to be honest in the title.
As my Father always said, if you think you can do better, by all means step up to the plate and let’s see what you can do. And if you don’t, then shut your mouth and quit complaining.

There are far too many people on this board that bitch, moan, and complain about everything and everyone. Stop talking and start doing something about the problem by offering your brilliance to Polk County if you think you can do better. HROT has so many experts in everything they post about, it’s amazing they spend so much time here instead of being the leaders of each field they post about as an expert to that field. Must be difficult being so smart about everything. And it’s not just Pablow, many more on here.

Reactions: 83Hawk
I'll take your advice if you quit telling Fran how to coach.

This is where Fran needs to call a time out to rest the guys for the final push after the made basket. It’s amazing to me he doesn’t do these things on a regular basis. Just let’s the guys wear down instead of use his time outs to talk defensive strategy and spreading the court to get the ball to Luka with cutters moving to the basket so he can dump off if he doesn’t have a shot or can’t draw the foul for two free throws. His in game adjustments are not good, he likes to use the time outs to argue with the refs. Dumb.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
Who do you have to screw around here to get the first dose?!:)

Who do you have to screw around here to get the first dose?!:)
n some counties in Iowa you call the public health folks and give them your name and age. Then you show up for the appointment and they don't ask for an ID or anything. I know this for fact. Have siblings that are over 65 and they called in got an appointment and were not asked for ID when they arrive. Anyone could have lied about their age and gotten away with it.

Reactions: h-hawk
Regardless of some blips along the way, President Biden's leadership is all in and doing all they can to solve this enormous problem. Just my opinion, but that seems a lot better than what was happening before January 20th.
Holy hell. Please tell me this isnt real.

n some counties in Iowa you call the public health folks and give them your name and age. Then you show up for the appointment and they don't ask for an ID or anything. I know this for fact. Have siblings that are over 65 and they called in got an appointment and were not asked for ID when they arrive. Anyone could have lied about their age and gotten away with it.

Uhh, without ID or some kind of database, how is a ballpark or concert venue supposed to confirm that you've gotten vaccinated?

FWIW, my wife got her 2nd dose of Moderna 2 days ago in Des Moines.

One of my folks who's high risk has had two now, and the other who works in an eligible occupation has had one and will get the second in another 2-3 weeks. The high risk parent had both in Polk Co but they might have been sourced through the feds rather than state/county because it was through the VA system, or maybe just luck with the actual supply and timing. Not sure how that works.

It's called click bate. I don't have to be honest in the title.
Umm, click bait (you can't even spell it correctly) only applies when you are profiting from the clicks. Here, you are just trolling apparently.

Umm, click bait (you can't even spell it correctly) only applies when you are profiting from the clicks. Here, you are just trolling apparently.

I actually know what going on with the Polk vaccines dope.

I suspect the state will help fix this and allot the needed vaccine to Polk County to cover the 2nd doses.
Which will short some other area. But, it can be corrected.

Yep. The J&J shot is a true game changer. It significantly reduces the logistical challenges of scheduling people for a second shot and ensuring it is available.
Plus it doesn't require the deep cold environment. Read that even the number of syringes required for 2 shots plus safe disposal is a lesser issue but still a strain on the system and the J&J vaccine helps those.

I can live with the reduced effectiveness against a non severe case. I'll be satisfied with a J&J shot.

Reactions: srams21
I just found this from Feb. 1st. Apparently, the "supply chain" still isn't working.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT