ADVERTISEMENT

No thread on Israel blowing up World Central Kitchen caravan?

I am definitely ambivalent.

Hamas and Hezbollah lob lob missiles into residential neighborhoods seeking to kill indiscriminately, including women and children.

Netanyahu has no qualms about wracking up civilian casualties to achieve his goals.

While I respect humanitarian efforts to bring supplies to Gazan civilians, I’m also fully aware it’s an active war zone and thus the possibility of being collateral damage is quite significant.

“Blaming” one side for this multi-decade conflict where bith sides have shown a willingness to be inhumane and commit war crimes is a fool’s errand.
So your point of view is that a humanitarian group that stayed within non-combat zone and let the Israelis know when they'd be traveling is somehow to blame? Or that Israel isn't?
Fascinating. Explains some of the sports threads.

So your point of view is that a humanitarian group that stayed within non-combat zone and let the Israelis know when they'd be traveling is somehow to blame? Or that Israel isn't?
Fascinating. Explains some of the sports threads.
Nope they aren’t to blame.

But I’m not surprised that setting up in an area that has already been bombed in an active war zone resulted in a tragedy

Reactions: FSUTribe76

But I’m not surprised that setting up in an area that has already been bombed in an active war zone resulted in a tragedy

You mean a zone that Israel said would be safe?

It's almost like they dont' care who they kill.

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
It sure does. Just like Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran don’t care who they kill.

Which is my point.

When you have two combatants with a track record of war crimes and indiscriminate killing it’s quite absurd to be surprised when they don’t follow the “rules.”

It sure does. Just like Hamas, Hezbollah and Iran don’t care who they kill.

Which is my point.

When you have two combatants with a track record of war crimes and indiscriminate killing it’s quite absurd to be surprised when they don’t follow the “rules.”
So you're saying that Israel isn't any better than Hamas? Bold.

I believe Israel is trying to minimize civilian casulties.

I also believe bad things happen in war.

What would lead you to believe that?

As of 12 February 2024, UN Women reports that at least 28,340 Palestinians were killed in Gaza, and 70 per cent of those killed are said to be women and children.

Reactions: Ree4
As fun as it was to see them blow up the Iranian consulate while leaving the embassy next door standing, it’s war. In a war zone. It’s messy, and imperfectly executed in all cases. That’s what makes relief organizations heroic. Sometimes the risks of what they do come to fruition.

As fun as it was to see them blow up the Iranian consulate while leaving the embassy next door standing, it’s war. In a war zone. It’s messy, and imperfectly executed in all cases. That’s what makes relief organizations heroic. Sometimes the risks of what they do come to fruition.
Again...by 'war zone' you mean "In an area declared by the Israelis as cleared for humanitarian groups." Right?

Reactions: Moral
Because I think a long-standing democracy in the neighborhood Israel is in would produce relatively moral leaders and soldiers.

I think Jews understand suffering and persecution better than any group.

I think Israel knows it must not lose the US, and has to walk a careful line with its war efforts.

The numbers you post are tragic, but do we really know they reflect Israel NOT trying to minimize civilian casulties, or, are those numbers actually “good” compared to how had they could be with indiscriminate war operations?

Because I think a long-standing democracy in the neighborhood Israel is in would produce relatively moral leaders and soldiers.

I think Jews understand suffering and persecution better than any group.

I think Israel knows it must not lose the US, and has to walk a careful line with its war efforts.

The numbers you post are tragic, but do we really know they reflect Israel NOT trying to minimize civilian casulties, or, are those numbers actually “good” compared to how had they could be with indiscriminate war operations?
You think 70% women and children shows that they're being careful and moral?
Ok.

Reactions: Ree4 and Moral

As of 12 February 2024, UN Women reports that at least 28,340 Palestinians were killed in Gaza, and 70 per cent of those killed are said to be women and children.
Can you post that study.

You are waaaaay off the mark on this. If the Israeli military tells you that a particular location is safe from their attacks...if you communicate fully with the Israeli military about your intention to set up humanitarian aid in the area they told you was safe...if your cleared vehicles are CLEARLY marked in the clear area...this isn't a "tragedy". This is a war crime.

It's a war zone.

Bad shit happens in war zones.
It was in an area that the IDF said was good for aid groups to work in. It was in daylight. They were in communication with the IDF about what they were doing. They had just hauled food from the coast to a warehouse, and identifiable route that was probably followed by drones every step of the way. The IDF isn't Hamas, they are obligated to attempt to identify what they were shooting at.
We know that Israel f***ed up because Netanyahu immediately apologized.

Did they?
I have seen comments that this might have been intentional in order to soften the feet of aid agencies, but I don't put any stock into that. It's hard to believe that anyone in Israel thought up a plan to kill western civilians, ordered it, executed it, and thought it would stay a secret while simultaneously producing the desired result.
Someone at the IDF f***ed up.

Reactions: noleclone2
You are waaaaay off the mark on this. If the Israeli military tells you that a particular location is safe from their attacks...if you communicate fully with the Israeli military about your intention to set up humanitarian aid in the area they told you was safe...if your cleared vehicles are CLEARLY marked in the clear area...this isn't a "tragedy". This is a war crime.
You trust Netanyahu and the IDF?

Quite naive, imo.

Again...by 'war zone' you mean "In an area declared by the Israelis as cleared for humanitarian groups." Right?
Dude, it's a war zone. Oh, and be sure not to forget those words "messy" and "imperfectly executed." It's the nature of the beast. Its purpose is not to provide opportunities for relief organizations. Rather, those organizations do their work in spite of its purpose, and with full awareness of the risks. Shit does, in fact, happen.

This is not WCK's fault, and frankly, it hits me hard because I've personally seen Andres speak about this particular labor of love. Sadly, serving meals following natural disasters is not quite the same as serving meals in a war zone. By the preliminary sound of things, it sounds like it's probably the fault of someone specifically identifiable, who made a specifically identifiable **** up. But that "fault" shouldn't be confused with any suggestion that the Israelis were somehow trying to knock off WCK. To the contrary, Israel had very much welcomed WCK as an alternative to UNRWA and, of course, Hamas itself.

Last edited:
I take issue with this. So Red Cross and Red Crescent vehicles should be blown up as well? World Food Kitchen is an amazing non-profit with no political agenda simply trying to feed places in trouble.
Wouldn’t have to be there if Hamas was eliminated. Which luckily Israel is working on.

It was in an area that the IDF said was good for aid groups to work in. It was in daylight. They were in communication with the IDF about what they were doing. They had just hauled food from the coast to a warehouse, and identifiable route that was probably followed by drones every step of the way. The IDF isn't Hamas, they are obligated to attempt to identify what they were shooting at.
We know that Israel f***ed up because Netanyahu immediately apologized.

Guess what? Accidents happen all the time in war, even now. Only the deluded pro-Hamas side would also think that IDF intended to kill its own soldiers

Or that they intended to kill Isreali hostages

Or that the US is somehow also mistake proof in war (where 17% of American soldiers killed during Desert Storm were blue on blue kills)

There’s a reason it’s called the “fog of war”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT