ADVERTISEMENT

Noem calls for South Dakota college board to ban drag shows, remove preferred pronouns

cigaretteman

HB King
May 29, 2001

The Hill
The Hill

Follow

Noem calls for South Dakota college board to ban drag shows, remove preferred pronouns​

Story by Jared Gans • 4h ago

Noem calls for South Dakota college board to ban drag shows, remove preferred pronouns
Noem calls for South Dakota college board to ban drag shows, remove preferred pronouns© Provided by The Hill
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem (R) called on the board that oversees the state’s public colleges and universities to prohibit drag shows on campus and remove references to pronouns that do not match a person’s gender assigned at birth in school materials.
Noem said in a letter to the South Dakota Board of Regents on Thursday that the board should take a series of steps to make the state an “example to the nation of what quality higher education should look like.”
As well as the drag show ban and the removal of “preferred pronouns,” the steps include eliminating any policy or procedure that prevents students from exercising their right to free speech and raising the graduation rate from the current 47 percent to at least 65 percent by 2028.
Noem also called on the board to take more steps to partner with businesses on registered apprenticeship programs, find ways to make college more affordable, require courses in American government and U.S. history and review all funding for university centers and donations to ensure no money is coming from China.

The Hill
The Hill
Follow

Noem calls for South Dakota college board to ban drag shows, remove preferred pronouns​

Noem calls for South Dakota college board to ban drag shows, remove preferred pronouns© Provided by The Hill
South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem (R) called on the board that oversees the state’s public colleges and universities to prohibit drag shows on campus and remove references to pronouns that do not match a person’s gender assigned at birth in school materials.
Noem said in a letter to the South Dakota Board of Regents on Thursday that the board should take a series of steps to make the state an “example to the nation of what quality higher education should look like.”
As well as the drag show ban and the removal of “preferred pronouns,” the steps include eliminating any policy or procedure that prevents students from exercising their right to free speech and raising the graduation rate from the current 47 percent to at least 65 percent by 2028.
Noem also called on the board to take more steps to partner with businesses on registered apprenticeship programs, find ways to make college more affordable, require courses in American government and U.S. history and review all funding for university centers and donations to ensure no money is coming from China.
Are college students not considered adults anymore? I thought Republicans were just worried about protecting children.

Straight up totalitarianism is where the GQP wants to take us. Only those approved by the party will be allowed to be full citizens. The rest will live in the shadows. Or, be re-educated.

The Hill
The Hill
Follow

Bigots.

This is my favorite paragraph in the article:

“As well as the drag show ban and the removal of “preferred pronouns,” the steps include eliminating any policy or procedure that prevents students from exercising their right to free speech

So deciding what you want to call yourself is not free speech in her mind?

I admit to being confused by the new pronouns and annoyed when people get upset at honest mistakes. But if someone wants to call themselves a “he” a “she” a “they” or a “ze” I will absolutely defend their right to do so even if it confuses me. For the life of me I cannot understand why the right doesn’t just live and let live…such a stupid hill to die on.

“As well as the drag show ban and the removal of “preferred pronouns,” the steps include eliminating any policy or procedure that prevents students from exercising their right to free speech

I admit to being confused by the new pronouns and annoyed when people get upset at honest mistakes. But if someone wants to call themselves a “he” a “she” a “they” or a “ze” I will absolutely defend their right to do so even if it confuses me. For the life of me I cannot understand why the right doesn’t just live and let live…such a stupid hill to die on.
Well, no one has ever accused the Right of being overly intelligent.

When Noem says she wants to up the requirement for courses in US history and government, does she mean all history, or just the good stuff? The good government stuff, or the stuff about how we f***** all the natives that lived in states like South Dakota? There is some pretty messy stuff in how we've been governed, and in our history.

Are college students not considered adults anymore? I thought Republicans were just worried about protecting children.
When this started to ramp up I warned HORT/GIAOT that this would never end with protecting the kids. Using kids as an excuse is a textbook move to give legitimacy to a movement to suppress the rights of others. Then it starts to creep a little further with each successive bit of legislation until the real goal is reached. Delegitimization of a class of citizens.

I couldn't agree more. What a waste of time and energy. Who gives a shit what anyone would like to be called and who cares if adults want to dress in drag or attend drag shows. I could maybe see if they are concerned about taxpayers paying for drag shows but I don't think that is what this is about.

They all so desperately want a VP slot.
Yep.

It's like an episode of "Survivor".

Expect more stupid shit from South Dakota, Mississippi North, and Florida.

The more I think about it, I could see DJT working behind the scenes to have Meatball withdraw with the promise he's the veep pick...only to have Turd pick a female at the Republican convention.

Straight up totalitarianism is where the GQP wants to take us. Only those approved by the party will be allowed to be full citizens. The rest will live in the shadows. Or, be re-educated.
I would love it if you moved into the shadows, please.....

I'm not talking about me. I'm talking about what others have said about the issue. Those same people would likely say that they are in fact required to use preferred pronouns or else they would face consequences.
What consequences? Do you purposefully call people by the wrong name after being corrected, or call a doctor nurse even after being corrected? How hard is it for you to simply be polite?

What consequences? Do you purposefully call people by the wrong name after being corrected, or call a doctor nurse even after being corrected? How hard is it for you to simply be polite?

It's not hard for me.

But for those I referenced it would circle back to the below post.

And the consequences could be suspension, dismissal, termination and so on.

Some would argue that they don't want to be forced to play make believe.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT