ADVERTISEMENT

Noises you've gotten used to at your home

hawkcub

HR Legend
Jul 18, 2005
I'm about 1/2 mile from train tracks (frieght). Maybe 2 trains go by a day. Sounds the horn off very loudly.

A gun range (trap) about 2 miles away. Sounds like popcorn popping.:

Helicopters at night.

I live pretty close to the Mt Weather emergency operations center. There are "black helicopters" that fly over us pretty regularly. It's kind of a running joke on the local Facebook groups.

Reactions: ghost80
We live close to the Eglin Air Force Base where they regularly do munitions tests. Sometimes the percussion from the blast shakes the house but we pay it no mind. We could actually be under attack and we would all just assume that Eglin was testing.
I live a few miles SE of Moody AFB and hear them at various times through the day but there are times when a bunch will take off as I look out of my porch window. It's pretty cool if I must say.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
In college there were train tracks that ran directly behind my apartment. Every time someone stayed the night they thought it was an earthquake. Funny how you get used to that sort of thing

We live in a townhouse smack dab in the middle of Atlanta and indoors we rarely hear anything.

In college there were train tracks that ran directly behind my apartment. Every time someone stayed the night they thought it was an earthquake. Funny how you get used to that sort of thing
Mine too. Was the apartment on Clinton street?

We live close to the Eglin Air Force Base where they regularly do munitions tests. Sometimes the percussion from the blast shakes the house but we pay it no mind. We could actually be under attack and we would all just assume that Eglin was testing.
Have a friend who used to live near Camp Dodge. I can remember sitting on his deck drink beers hearing night practice rock and roll coming from the small arms range. We both knew where the range was located on base and he said it was sometimes visible from the road at night if you knew where to look.

Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
When I first got down here I stayed with a buddy out in Navarre....it’s like WW3 some nights near that part of the range. I thought someone was walking around on his roof before I figured out it was the activity on the range....

Reactions: goldmom and DFSNOLE
The occasional ping of a clubhead hitting a golf ball. The drilling of a woodpecker. The occasional song of a belted kingfisher. All in all, I live in a quiet neighborhood.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
When I lived next to Tyndall AFB, it was the F-15’s and later the F-22’s. I miss those sounds.

Now, it is air ambulance, other commercial aircraft and the occasional truck.
I live under the takeoff/landing zone for NAS-Jax. We are so used to that it would be weird if it was quiet for too long. Honestly we like seeing the weekend jet jockeys with the Air National Guard doing their Top Gun Fun.

Reactions: runkpanole
The buzz of the hot tub cycling through it‘s jets every so often. If we don’t hear it, when panic and run out to check It, especially during the winter month.

Coyotes, owls, crunch of deer through the woods. Fisher cat, (sounds like a small child crying in danger) bucks fighting, critters scurrying thru the dead leaves in the fall, night crawlers in the spring, peepers. Geese flying overhead, tons of birds, chickens, dogs barking in the distance rain, thunder, wind. (One of my favorites is when a big front rolls in, you can hear it move towards you and roll thru)

My city friends are always freaked out by the "noises".

I lived in Mt Prospect, IL, right by O'Hare. The days fter 9-11 were the strangest thing I've ever experienced. The DEAD silence was deafening.

Airplanes, gunshots, emergency vehicle sirens. But hey, I can walk to overpriced restaurants and shops!

The muffled screams of the hooker in my basement.

And my neighbor’s yapping shih tzu.

images

My wife’s yammering.

I have a ball gag perfectly fit to her. Want me to hide it somewhere the next time I come over?

As for me, the club’s tennis courts are directly behind my house. It’s pretty well wooded between my house and back fence, but when the leaves are down and windows are open we hear the “thwack” regularly.

Reactions: runkpanole
In Pburg it was late night and early morning trains and they are effin loud in small towns with less other noise. One I never noticed before living in a small town is emergency vehicle sirens. They were probably rarer in CF than in IC along Burlington or downtown, but they were almost nonexistent in Pburg to the point they were alarming my first week or so attending Iowa.

You might’ve been down the tracks from me. It was on Capital right down the street from the jail.
I was in that god forsaken complex right on the tracks. Somehow my roommate and I didn't notice the tracks when we looked at it and there were no trains going when we looked at it. The blasting of the horn was awful, but the engines were so f*cking loud as they rumbled past you could hardly hear music you were listening too. On this map, we were pretty much where the 625 is.

I have 3 children 5 and under. It's so damn loud. Constantly. Whether it's toys, a tablet, out just them trying to out yell reach other.

Reactions: Herkster5
I was in that god forsaken complex right on the tracks. Somehow my roommate and I didn't notice the tracks when we looked at it and there were no trains going when we looked at it. The blasting of the horn was awful, but the engines were so f*cking loud as they rumbled past you could hardly hear music you were listening too. On this map, we were pretty much where the 625 is.

Yep - we were at 630. You’ll notice the dirtiest swimming pool in history in the middle and we backed up to the tracks.

Nice place though. Small living room, but big bedrooms, walk in closets and 2 personal porches.... which had a nice view of the woods when a train wasn’t coming through

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT