ADVERTISEMENT

Nord Stream Gas Leaks Raise Allegations of Sabotage

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
The authorities in Germany, Denmark and Sweden are investigating suspicious leaks in two gas pipelines running from Russia to Germany under the Baltic Sea, after both experienced a sudden drop in pressure that raised concerns among European leaders on Tuesday about possible sabotage.

Neither of the pipelines, Nord Stream 1 and 2, had been active, but both were filled with natural gas when they experienced a sharp drop in pressure that was first registered on Monday.

Footage released by the Danish Defense command showed a swirling mass of methane bubbling up onto the surface of the Baltic Sea. The authorities said the drop could only be caused by a leak, and officials in Denmark raised its security alerts at electricity and gas facilities around the country.

Mateusz Morawiecki, Poland’s prime minister, blamed Russia for the leaks, saying they were an attempt to further destabilize Europe’s energy security. He spoke at the launch of a new undersea pipeline that connects Poland to Norway through Denmark.

“We do not know the details of what happened yet, but we can clearly see that it is an act of sabotage,” Mr. Morawiecki said. “An act that probably marks the next stage in the escalation of this situation in Ukraine.”

Denmark’s prime minister, Mette Frederiksen, said that sabotage could not be ruled out. “It is too early to conclude yet, but it is an extraordinary situation,” she said during a visit to Poland to inaugurate the pipeline from Norway.

“There is talk of three leaks, and therefore it is difficult to imagine that it could be accidental,” she said.

Mykhailo Podolyak, a senior adviser to President Volodymyr Zelensky of Ukraine, said on Twitter that the leaks were “a terrorist attack planned by Russia and an act of aggression towards E.U.”

The Kremlin’s spokesman, Dmitri S. Peskov, said of the leaks that “no possibility can be ruled out,” but the Russian state media sought to blame the United States and Ukraine. The state-run RIA Novosti news agency reported that Washington “is an active opponent of Russian gas supplies to Europe,” and said that Ukraine opposed Nord Stream 2 because it “was afraid of losing revenues from the transit of Russian gas.”

It was not immediately clear who would benefit from ruptures in the pipelines, which were not in operation. The leaks were found at different points on two branches of the Nord Stream 1 pipeline and one branch of Nord Stream 2, Danish and Swedish officials said. They warned ships to avoid the affected areas.

The pipelines have been a focal point of the broader confrontation between Russia and Europe. After the European Union imposed economic sanctions on Russia to penalize it for invading Ukraine in February, Russia began withholding the natural gas that for decades it had sent to Europe, threatening the continent’s energy supply as winter looms.

The governments in Denmark and Germany both said the leaks would not affect natural gas supplies in their countries. Gazprom had already halted nearly all deliveries of natural gas to Europe, through Nord Stream 1 as well as all but one of several overland pipelines, and European countries have turned to other suppliers, including Norway, to meet their energy needs.

But the incident made clear how vulnerable energy infrastructure could be. Norway’s Petroleum Safety Authority warned on Monday that unidentified drones had been sighted recently near its offshore oil and gas facilities, raising concerns of possible explosions, helicopter collisions or of “deliberate attacks.” It called for “increased vigilance by all operators and vessel owners,” citing the heightened security concerns following recent threats by Russia linked to its war in Ukraine.

Russia’s Gazprom halted deliveries through Nord Stream 1 indefinitely earlier this month, as part of a continuing dispute with Germany over gas deliveries. Nord Stream 2 was never put into operation after Germany canceled its certification on the eve of Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

Senators and members of Congress had lobbied for years to impose sanctions on Nord Stream 2. After Germany halted certification, President Biden imposed sanctions on the Russian-owned operator of the pipeline.

Germany’s energy ministry said in a statement on Monday that a grid operator had reported “a sharp drop in pressure” in Nord Stream 2. The Danish Maritime Authority said the leak appeared to have occurred off the coast of a Danish island and issued a navigation warning for the area.

Separately, the operator of Nord Stream 1 said it had detected a pressure drop that was later confirmed by the German economy ministry. The pipeline is made up of about 100,000 concrete-coated steel pipes designed to withstand the change in pressure the gas undergoes on the 760 mile journey from Russia to Germany. They lie on the floor of the Baltic Sea.

I came here looking for the thread on this - arguably the most significant story today - and here it is, without a single like or reply.

Hard to take HROT seriously.

Is there another thread on this that I missed (I had to go to the 2nd page to spot this one)?

Reactions: eb05 and hwk23
I came here looking for the thread on this - arguably the most significant story today - and here it is, without a single like or reply.

Is there another thread on this that I missed (I had to go to the 2nd page to spot this one)?
I believe this is the only one.

from my read of the article both pipelines are showing leaks and the russians are prime suspects.

should the russins actually want to make money in the future (after war ends presumably) by restarting supply, wouldn't this be counter prodictive? when they have the ability to just not supply ie turn off the taps right now, why would russians go to the trouble of sabotaging underwater pipelines?

from my read of the article both pipelines are showing leaks and the russians are prime suspects.

should the russins actually want to make money in the future (after war ends presumably) by restarting supply, wouldn't this be counter prodictive? when they have the ability to just not supply ie turn off the taps right now, why would russians go to the trouble of sabotaging underwater pipelines?
Unless we are talking about Russian anti-war activists on the inside or something along those lines, the idea that Russia is behind this seems ludicrous.

Again, cui bono?

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
CIA the leading candidate at this point? Could Russia do this with being observed at this time?

With Russian gas cut off, nations and corporations who are filling those orders obviously benefit. So what does that list of suspects look like?

And it's not just the suppliers - like Norway, Saudi Arabia and the US - who benefit. It's also the nations that have alternate pipelines (some in Eastern Europe, for example), alternate delivery systems (shipping, for example), and alternate energy sources (nuclear, solar, coal, for example).

Nor is it just state actors who should be scrutinized. Big Oil is making huge bucks on these new contracts.

All of those stand to benefit from knowing that Russia can no longer just flip the switch to become the main supplier again.

Last edited:
Ukraine is also a logical suspect.

Russia turned off Nordstrom 1 at least in part to remind Europe that winter is coming. The message was clear: "this won't hurt too much now, but what if we do it again in January?"

Ukraine is justifiably worried that Germany and some other EU backers of the war effort will reduce their support. But if those pipelines can be taken out of action by sabotage, then Russia won't be able to turn the deliveries back on. Which means that Germany, et al, won't think they can get Russian gas just by throwing Ukraine under the bus.

Reactions: HawkMD
well-theres-your-4189237456.jpg

Ukraine is also a logical suspect.

Russia turned off Nordstrom 1 at least in part to remind Europe that winter is coming. The message was clear: "this won't hurt too much now, but what if we do it again in January?"

Ukraine is justifiably worried that Germany and some other EU backers of the war effort will reduce their support. But if those pipelines can be taken out of action by sabotage, then Russia won't be able to turn the deliveries back on. Which means that Germany, et al, won't think they can get Russian gas just by throwing Ukraine under the bus.
It appears that whoever did it used a submarine. That cuts the number of suspects down significantly. I doubt the Ukrainians fit the bill. I'd guess the Russians at this point would be the only people crazy enough to torpedo a gas line.

Was posted in the war thread.

Reactions: h-hawk
Is that what we are being told? How do we know? I mean it would probably make it easier, so that's a good thing to check out, but do we know that's what happened - and, if so, how do we know that?
I don't know what you're being told. I haven't been told anything. I've seen images of gas leaks in deep water. That would suggest it's not some randos with hand grenades. With the depth of the leaks being reported at 250-350ft below the surface that rules out recreational divers. So either industrial divers or a sub. Industrial divers would require a support tender - seems unlikely to go unnoticed. Sub seems most likely culprit. But if you have a better explanation I'm open.

Reactions: billanole
I’ve been trying to understand who would be motivated to do this. It doesn’t seem to be a win for Russia unless it’s a false flag. I don’t see the US or a European country intentionally causing an oil spill and the same goes for Ukraine because it could turn into a PR nightmare for them. As crazy as it sounds, I think a Russian false flag operation is the most likely cause. Tell me why I’m wrong.

Reactions: h-hawk
I’ve been trying to understand who would be motivated to do this. It doesn’t seem to be a win for Russia unless it’s a false flag. I don’t see the US or a European country intentionally causing an oil spill and the same goes for Ukraine because it could turn into a PR nightmare for them. As crazy as it sounds, I think a Russian false flag operation is the most likely cause. Tell me why I’m wrong.
Western Europe is in for a long winter. The list of people that might want that is not that long.

Speculation was that Putin was going to turn off the gas this winter, now he might not need to do that.

The communists at WEF would like to bring Europe under one government and this could further that.

Western Europe is in for a long winter. The list of people that might want that is not that long.

Speculation was that Putin was going to turn off the gas this winter, now he might not need to do that.

The communists at WEF would like to bring Europe under one government and this could further that.
But Nord Stream wasn’t even running, it was pressurized but not turned on. I’m still struggling to see what the angle is here.

Reactions: VodkaSam
Der Spiegel is reporting that the CIA warned Germany of this possibility a few weeks ago. I assume the CIA has a good idea who was behind this.

Reactions: Titus Andronicus
But Nord Stream wasn’t even running, it was pressurized but not turned on. I’m still struggling to see what the angle is here.

Maybe someone is wanting to eliminate possible use of Nord Stream 2 for the near future,.. Perhaps a supporter of Ukraine who understands that with Winter will come pressure from Europe for the Ukrainians to settle...

Reactions: desihawk

It's in the Putin mega thread.

Der Spiegel is reporting that the CIA warned Germany of this possibility a few weeks ago. I assume the CIA has a good idea who was behind this.
Hell, Trump warned Germany about this four years ago. He looked like Nostradamus in this 2018 video related to Nord Stream and also the need for more funding of NATO by the Euros to fend off Russia (see Ukraine 2022). Angela Merkel made a terrible strategic decision. The CBS criticism is also laughable four years later.

Maybe someone is wanting to eliminate possible use of Nord Stream 2 for the near future,.. Perhaps a supporter of Ukraine who understands that with Winter will come pressure from Europe for the Ukrainians to settle...
damn this is solidly plausible.

It’s hard to understand how anyone except the USA did this.
I agree. I wouldn’t trust the Russians to successfully complete any kind of complicated misssion at this point. Would have been far less surprised to hear about a Russian sub blowing itself up.

Reactions: Tenacious E
The only two countries that could do this and not be detected are the USA and Russia.
French and British have subs and the means to do something like this.
Several NATO members plausibly have the means.

But this is interesting:

A former Polish Defense Minister, Radek Sikorski, has attributed to the United States the sabotage of two pipelines, Nord Stream 1 and 2, which carry natural gas from Russia to Germany. “Thank you, USA,” Sikorski wrote on Twitter. Sikorski was Minister of National Defense from 2005 - 2007 and served as Deputy Minister of National Defense and Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, previously. He is currently an elected member of the European parliament.

Nord Stream 1 and 2 lie on the bed of the Baltic Sea. Nord Stream 2 was finished last year but Germany never opened it because Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24.

Poland’s Secretary of State, Stanisław Żaryn, denounced Sikorki’s claim on Twitter as “Russian #propaganda,” calling it “a smear campaign against Poland, the US, and Ukraine, accusing the West of aggression against #NS1 and #NS2. Authenticating the Russian lies at this particular moment jeopardizes the security of Poland. What an act of gross irresponsibility!”

But really, what makes this funny is if you click the link above for Sikorski's bio and read it to the end:

He negotiated and signed the Poland-Russia regional visa-free regime, Poland-U.S. missile defense agreement, and—together with foreign ministers of Germany and France—the accord between the pro-EU opposition and Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych in 2013. In 2012, Foreign Policy named him one of its 100 global thinkers for “telling the truth even when it’s not diplomatic.”

I agree. I wouldn’t trust the Russians to successfully complete any kind of complicated misssion at this point. Would have been far less surprised to hear about a Russian sub blowing itself up.
Agree with that, but it also makes no sense. Russia just spent Billions to build this so they could bypass Ukraine (and their fees) to send gas directly to Germany. This was incredibly tough sledding politically as well. But they are just going to blow it up now, when they control the other end of the spigot? Makes no sense.

French and British have subs and the means to do something like this.
Several NATO members plausibly have the means.

But this is interesting:

A former Polish Defense Minister, Radek Sikorski, has attributed to the United States the sabotage of two pipelines, Nord Stream 1 and 2, which carry natural gas from Russia to Germany. “Thank you, USA,” Sikorski wrote on Twitter. Sikorski was Minister of National Defense from 2005 - 2007 and served as Deputy Minister of National Defense and Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs, previously. He is currently an elected member of the European parliament.

Nord Stream 1 and 2 lie on the bed of the Baltic Sea. Nord Stream 2 was finished last year but Germany never opened it because Russia invaded Ukraine on February 24.

Poland’s Secretary of State, Stanisław Żaryn, denounced Sikorki’s claim on Twitter as “Russian #propaganda,” calling it “a smear campaign against Poland, the US, and Ukraine, accusing the West of aggression against #NS1 and #NS2. Authenticating the Russian lies at this particular moment jeopardizes the security of Poland. What an act of gross irresponsibility!”

But really, what makes this funny is if you click the link above for Sikorski's bio and read it to the end:

He negotiated and signed the Poland-Russia regional visa-free regime, Poland-U.S. missile defense agreement, and—together with foreign ministers of Germany and France—the accord between the pro-EU opposition and Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovych in 2013. In 2012, Foreign Policy named him one of its 100 global thinkers for “telling the truth even when it’s not diplomatic.”

Why would a European country do this? It is going to spike their already crazy high energy prices. It’s not hyperbole to say that many people could freeze to death in Europe this winter.

Reactions: KFSuperStar
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT