ADVERTISEMENT

Nord Stream Gas Leaks Raise Allegations of Sabotage

Russia most likely did this. It sends a message that they can hit other pipelines. And, I heard a blurb on NPR this morning that the point of attack, and the ownership of the pipelines is critical to look at. The attacks were off the coast of Denmark, which is not a full member of NATO, and the ownership of the pipelines are through Switzerland. No NATO response required if the attacks are eventually traced back to Russia.
The person on NPR also suggested an attack most likely came from a commercial ship used by Russia, which could be masked as normal traffic in the Baltic.
Russia doesn't need to blow up the pipeline....just turn off the spigot. They literally lose that leverage by it getting blown up...

Doesn't make any sense.

US intelligence predicted the invasion and was met by ridicule from the right. They predicted this and are now met with conspiracy theories from the right. The only thing consistent about the right is that they're always wrong.

Reactions: h-hawk and nelly02
We should definitely be on the list of suspects. US corporations are doing well from this war. Especially Big Oil and the weapons makers.

Germany and others might falter in their support of Ukraine when winter comes - because they will be desperate to get Russian gas. But if we are supplying LNG and the Russian pipelines are out of commission, they will have no choice but to kowtow to us, rather than to Putin.

It's good to be king.
It’s a possible pretext to WW3 but other than that, yeah, good to be king.

US intelligence predicted the invasion and was met by ridicule from the right. They predicted this and are now met with conspiracy theories from the right. The only thing consistent about the right is that they're always wrong.
Lol “conspiracy theories”. SOMEBODY illegally blew up the pipeline that is at the heart of the war in Ukraine. It’s a conspiracy in one direction or another.

Stop. Your. Goose-stepping. Chauvinism.
Notice how you just went on the attack. Whereas in my comment that you replied to, I actually explained the thinking.
You should try it sometime.
Sarcasm.
I was mocking the typical response that ignores salient facts and dismiss unpleasant realities as ‘anti-American’ propaganda.
Too well, it appears. :)

There is no benefit to Russia in destroying the infrastructure they paid to build to sell what they produce.

There are several countries with easy to understand motives for destroying that infrastructure.

not true. this twitter thread describes russia’s motives

Russia wouldn't just throw away their only negotiating leverage for nothing. Europe would have been under tremendous pressure to make an agreement (to prevent the coming energy crisis). Don't believe anything on Twitter.

Russia wouldn't just throw away their only negotiating leverage for nothing. Europe would have been under tremendous pressure to make an agreement (to prevent the coming energy crisis). Don't believe anything on Twitter.

i don’t believe anything yet other than it was sabotaged by someone. it seems presumptuous to act as if there is no motive for russia. i wouldn’t trust anyone selling that theory.

Sarcasm.
I was mocking the typical response that ignores salient facts and dismiss unpleasant realities as ‘anti-American’ propaganda.
Too well, it appears. :)

There is no benefit to Russia in destroying the infrastructure they paid to build to sell what they produce.

There are several countries with easy to understand motives for destroying that infrastructure.
My apology. I thought you were being serious.

Reactions: globalhawk
i don’t believe anything yet other than it was sabotaged by someone. it seems presumptuous to act as if there is no motive for russia. i wouldn’t trust anyone selling that theory.
So you don't trust what Joe said??? At a minimum he needs to come out and denounce what he said here or acknowledge that he followed through on his promise.

Nord stream 2 hasn't been in operation since Russia invaded Ukraine. The part of Nord stream that was sabotaged was the pipeline connecting Norway to Poland. Not sure how much leverage the Russians had.

Nord stream 2 hasn't been in operation since Russia invaded Ukraine. The part of Nord stream that was sabotaged was the pipeline connecting Norway to Poland. Not sure how much leverage the Russians had.
Huh? The Nord Stream 1 pipeline connects Russia to Germany.. Russia owns it and controls the spigot..

Russia doesn't need to blow up the pipeline....just turn off the spigot. They literally lose that leverage by it getting blown up...

Doesn't make any sense.
One response lower on about costs they might be avoiding.
I will also say that we shouldn't expect crazy dictators to act rationally. I can see this being a dual purpose act. I am sure they did it understanding how quickly they can put it back in service. Putin wants Europe on edge over the prospect of a cold winter getting colder when a few more pipelines mysteriously blow up.

Huh? The Nord Stream 1 pipeline connects Russia to Germany.. Russia owns it and controls the spigot..

My bad. I read an article incorrectly. It was stating that it overshadowed the opening of the Baltic pipeline. Oops.

Nordstream2 hadn’t been brought online yet when the war started.

The pipeline connecting Norway and Poland is entirely separate from Nordstream.

3f3d8c647c46924f459ccb2f5e237f59

Unnamed Pentagon official relied on to make sure WW3 doesn’t break out. What a mess.
That person might be cleared to speak on background. I’m pretty sure if the question is asked appropriately there will a full denial.

That person might be cleared to speak on background. I’m pretty sure if the question is asked appropriately there will a full denial.
The White House should proactively put out a statement. But since we are the ones that blew it up they are not going to do that.

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole

Doesn't make any sense.
it creates force majeure. It also puts more pressure on the European nations for the winter. This is likely something that can be fixed in a couple months. so why would Putin do this, becaus nat gas prices are going down. Go check the charts. Between losing ground in Ukraine and now losing his only leverage point, he is trying to cause maximum pain. The US wouldn’t do this with a major hurricane and NGL capacity down. All this is showing is that Putin is feeling the pressure.

Reactions: BelemNole
Why is it the most likely explanation that we blew up an inactive pipeline in the Baltic Sea?
Because it precludes the option of (re)starting flows again to Europe and bypassing Eastern Europe.
The destruction of this pipeline and establishment of the Norway-Poland pipeline give Poland and Ukraine more leverage than if both of those pipelines could carry supplies.

"Russian navy support ships were reportedly spotted near the Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines before they were ruptured by explosions. The claims come as Moscow has again denied involvement in the suspected sabotage, instead blaming the U.S.

Citing Western intelligence officials, CNN said that the alleged presence of Russian vessels was being investigated as a cause of underwater explosions in the Baltic Sea, as Moscow faces accusations that it's trying to manipulate energy flows to hurt Europe."

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-ukraine-nord-stream-putin-explosion-1747387

Why is it the most likely explanation that we blew up an inactive pipeline in the Baltic Sea?
Well for starters, President Biden said that we would “bring Nordstream 2 to an end” if Russia invaded Ukraine.

There is a pretty short list of people that could actually pull this off and not be detected, basically USA and Russia. Even Russia is doubtful honestly. None of our Western European allies would be so provocative without checking with us first.

Could China pull it off? Maybe but they don’t have any motive to get involved.

I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer and have a dumb question: Nordsteam 2 was never online, and Russia had shut off Nordstream 1 due to technical issues. If true, how/why is natural gas bubbling to the surface?

The entire situation seems very fishy.

Russia gains nothing by doing this as they already control the pipeline and probably want it to work when Europe starts buying gas from then again.

The United States benefits the most but I wouldn't rule green energy terrorist organizations.

Russia gains nothing by doing this as they already control the pipeline and probably want it to work when Europe starts buying gas from then again.

The United States benefits the most but I wouldn't rule green energy terrorist organizations.
Dude Greenpeace does not have the juice to plant underwater explosives undetected on international energy infrastructure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT