ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina Republicans Approve House Map That Flips at Least Three Seats

WADR, I think that the word "offsets" was originally being used in a strictly mathematical sense.
1. WADR? Don’t know this one.
2. I know this is just a message board but aren’t you an attorney? I thought you folks were drilled and drilled about not assuming you know what someone else was thinking/saying.
2.a. While we are getting into semantics, I think the word “offsets” is normally associated with some form of equivalency. Clearly not the case when comparing NC and AL.
2.b. Perhaps “mitigates” or “partially offsets” might work better.

"Offset"? There shouldn't be offsetting. This shit shouldn't be legal in the first place. And the legalized bribery system we have here shouldn't exist either but when you let Republicans be in charge, this is what we get.
I AGREE that there is gerrymandering and I’m not a fan either. Draw up straight grids regardless of the “color of the community”. Now “districts” look like spaghetti. Force candidates to speak to the concerns of everyone in that district and let the votes fall where they may.
Not only does gerrymandering perpetuate the liberal/conservative line, it also ensures that white/black/brown Communities never come together on mutual ground.

😂 I just knew, when I saw that you responded to my comment, that you were going to “both sides” this thing.
1) my comment didn’t make a party distinction, so that’s just your guilty conscience talking.
2) the idea that the situation in Alabama “offsets” NC’s gerrymandering is foolish. In the 2020 general election, trump got 62% of the votes in AL; whereas the AL Congressional District changes lowered republicans dominance from 89% to 78%. There’s no offset going on there. AL is still set up to disproportionately favor republicans, even after the supposed fix.
But if you “just knew” why can you not see that indeed both sides are complicit?

I know. But yours is f’n awesome. Perfection, right?
Nope but it ain't 50-50 right now. Only one took almost three weeks to pick a speaker. Only one tried to overturn an election. Only one still majorly supports a complete POS as their leader despite having solid alternative choices. Only one still has lots of reps who believes 2020 was "rigged" despite almost zero evidence and now one of Trump's lawyers basically admitting it was a lie.

Only one is the party of Trump.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Nope but it ain't 50-50 right now. Only one took almost three weeks to pick a speaker. Only one tried to overturn an election. Only one still majorly supports a complete POS as their leader despite having solid alternative choices. Only one still has lots of reps who believes 2020 was "rigged" despite almost zero evidence and now one of Trump's lawyers basically admitting it was a lie.

Only one is the party of Trump.
Becausetrumpbecausetrumpbecausetrump.
Got it.

Becausetrumpbecausetrumpbecausetrump.
Got it.
You are like jekyl and hyde. One time you will say how much you dislike Trump but then I say it, you get all defensive. Which is it?

The ****er tried to overturn a legitimate election. And committed about 100 felonies and yet your party still can't let go. Holy shit. Elect a different leader you idiots.

Reactions: cigaretteman
You are like jekyl and hyde. One time you will say how much you dislike Trump but then I say it, you get all defensive. Which is it?

The ****er tried to overturn a legitimate election. And committed about 100 felonies and yet your party still can't let go. Holy shit. Elect a different leader you idiots.
@goldmom will be voting for him again in 2024 if he's at the head of the ticket. If he's not, he just demonstrated that he gets to decide who does run things when he torpedoed Emmer with a single tweet. goldie will be right there pulling the lever for that traitor, whoever it is.

Reactions: srams21
But if you “just knew” why can you not see that indeed both sides are complicit?
As I mentioned previously, I never drew a distinction between the parties. You did that by inferring that I was addressing republican gerrymandering and feeling the need to deflect that by saying this is a “both sides” issue.

Perhaps you should do some reflection on why you felt the need to “correct the record” for something I never said. I would posit that your response reveals the truth that you know, deep down, that republicans are much more involved with gerrymandering and want to obfuscate that point.

And your comment about AL offsetting NC supports what I’m saying. I and several others have pointed out that the comparison of situations in those two states is a very poor one. By all means, if you wish to make the case that democrats benefit from gerrymandering to an equal degree as do republicans, I would welcome that analysis.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT