ADVERTISEMENT

North Carolina Republicans Approve House Map That Flips at Least Three Seats

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Republicans in North Carolina approved a heavily gerrymandered congressional map on Wednesday that is likely to knock out about half of the Democrats representing the state in the House of Representatives. It could result in as much as an 11-3 advantage for Republicans.
The State House, controlled by a Republican supermajority, voted for the new lines a day after the State Senate approved them. Gov. Roy Cooper of North Carolina, a Democrat, cannot veto redistricting legislation.
The map creates 10 solidly Republican districts, three solidly Democratic districts and one competitive district. Currently, under the lines drawn by a court for the 2022 election, each party holds seven seats.
The new lines ensure Republican dominance in a state that, while leaning red, is closely divided. President Donald J. Trump won it by just over a percentage point in 2020, and Republicans won the last two Senate elections by two and three points.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

The Democratic incumbents who have been essentially drawn off the map are Representatives Jeff Jackson in the Charlotte area, Kathy Manning in the Greensboro area and Wiley Nickel in the Raleigh area. A seat held by a fourth Democrat, Representative Don Davis, is expected to be competitive.

Politics Across the United States​

“If either of these maps become final, it means I’m toast in Congress,” Mr. Jackson said in a video on X last week after the release of two draft maps, one of which became the final product. “This is the majority party in the state legislature in North Carolina basically saying, ‘We want another member of our party in Congress, so we’re going to redraw the map to take out Jeff.’”

On Thursday, he announced that he would run for attorney general of North Carolina “to fight political corruption,” a label he applied to the gerrymandered maps.
Mr. Nickel, who won a close race last year, was also defiant.
“I don’t want to give these maps credibility by announcing a run in any of these gerrymandered districts,” he said on X. “The maps are an extreme partisan gerrymander by Republican legislators that totally screw North Carolina voters. It’s time to sue the bastards.”
Ms. Manning did not announce specific plans but said she was “not willing to let these partisan maps take away my constituents’ right to representation.” She criticized Republicans for diluting voters in Guilford County, which includes Greensboro, by dividing them among three districts that also include distant parts of the state.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

Republicans openly acknowledged the advantage they were drawing for themselves. “There’s no doubt that the congressional map that’s before you today has a lean towards Republicans,” State Representative Destin Hall, the chairman of the redistricting committee, said on the floor, while adding that legislators had “complied with the law in every way.” (Mr. Hall did not immediately respond to a request for comment.)
The new map and the events that led to it illustrate both the power of gerrymandering to render voters’ preferences electorally irrelevant, and the extent to which control of the House is being determined by courts’ interpretation of what lines are permissible.
North Carolina has long been one of the most gerrymandered states in the country, as well as the subject of years of legal battles. Last year, the North Carolina Supreme Court ruled that a previous gerrymandered map was illegal, and court-drawn lines were used in the midterm elections, producing more competitive districts and, ultimately, an evenly divided congressional delegation.
But something else also happened in the midterms: A Republican won a seat on the state Supreme Court, flipping it from a Democratic to a Republican majority. Though none of the facts had changed except the composition of the court, the justices promptly threw out the 2022 ruling, opening the door for Republican legislators to restore their party’s advantage.
In several other states, the courts are also prevailing.
In Wisconsin, where voters recently elected a liberal justice, the state Supreme Court is widely expected to rule against an existing Republican gerrymander. In Alabama, a court ordered a map this month that includes two districts, instead of one, where Black voters have or are close to a majority. That change, stemming from a United States Supreme Court decision earlier this year, will most likely result in one more Democratic representative.
The same Supreme Court ruling could lead to a new majority-Black district in Louisiana, though that is tied up in another lawsuit. Separately, a contentious redistricting process is on the table in New York.

Gerrymandering, perhaps more so than any other single issue, is the reason our politics at both the state and federal levels (for the House) is so completely fvcked up these days. In so many cases, we are sending representatives to congress that have absolutely zero incentive to compromise or actually attempt to legislate.

Gerrymandering, perhaps more so than any other single issue, is the reason our politics at both the state and federal levels (for the House) is so completely fvcked up these days. In so many cases, we are sending representatives to congress that have absolutely zero incentive to compromise or actually attempt to legislate.
Yep, way, way too many safe seats.

Reactions: TheCainer
Was he confusing New York with North Carolina!
You could not have chosen a worse state to make an example. New York is not extremely gerrymandered.

IN FACT, NY DEMS FAILURE TO AGGRESSIVELY GERRYMANDER NY CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICTS FOLLOWING THE 2020 CENSUS WAS A LARGE CAUSE WHY DEMS LOST CONTROL OF THE U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES. As a result, at least 5 otherwise Dem seats were narrowly won by Republican’s

You could not have chosen a worse state to make an example. New York is not extremely gerrymandered.

IN FACT, NY DEMS FAILURE TO AGGRESSIVELY GERRYMANDER NY CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICTS FOLLOWING THE 2020 CENSUS WAS A LARGE CAUSE WHY DEMS LOST CONTROL OF THE U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES. As a result, at least 5 otherwise Dem seats were narrowly won by Republican’s
Yeah, Goldy doesn't put much effort into most of her comments.

They need to “gerrymander” the Florida panhandle into Alabama where it belongs.

Starting west of Leon County, of course.

From all sides of the political spectrum. And yet for what’s happening in N.C. it’s offset by recent decisions affecting Alabama,

From all sides of the political spectrum. And yet for what’s happening in N.C. it’s offset by recent decisions affecting Alabama,

NC is straight up gerrymandering.

Alabama was ordered by the Supreme Court because the GOP maps violated the Voting Rights Act. It wasn’t the powerful Alabama Dems redrawing the map.

Do better Mom.

"Offset"? There shouldn't be offsetting. This shit shouldn't be legal in the first place. And the legalized bribery system we have here shouldn't exist either but when you let Republicans be in charge, this is what we get.

IN FACT, NY DEMS FAILURE TO AGGRESSIVELY GERRYMANDER NY CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICTS FOLLOWING THE 2020 CENSUS WAS A LARGE CAUSE WHY DEMS LOST CONTROL OF THE U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES. As a result, at least 5 otherwise Dem seats were narrowly won by Republican’sI
In reality, D's did a heck of a lot of gerrymandering post 2020 census...where they could. Problem is, in many states they "controlled", the state laws kick the process to relatively independent commissions.

Reactions: nu2u
She’s doing just fine.
New York's last three presidential elections ~60% Dem 37% GOP

New York's Representatives 15 Dem (58%) 11 GOP (42%)

North Carolina's last three presidential elections ~50% Dem 50% GOP

North Carolina's current Representatives 7 Dem (50%) 7 GOP (50%)

NC's NEXT Representatives using the GOP maps 4 Dem (29%) GOP 10 (71%)

And - just so you know - it's possible the split could be 11-3.

Now, tell us again how those are in any way comparable.

LOL...you're so full of shit. In the last six presidential elections, the LOWEST statewide total for a Dem was 34.4%. So what is Alabama's current House delegation?

Six Republicans

One Democrat

Now I know math fails you but that gives the Bama Democrats 12% representation in the House. With two seats, they will be short of their statewide percentage still at 29%.

Yep, way, way too many safe seats.
I think I heard in the US out of the 435 congressional districts only about 80-85 are competitive. Considering how politics are split here in the US, about 30-35% of these races should be competitive....that would be around 150 or so of the races should be up for grabs every 2 years. Both sides need to do better. But NC and Wisconsin are a couple of the worst. However, Wisconsin has apparently taken steps to correct their misrepresentation mess by electing a new State SC justice.

In reality, D's did a heck of a lot of gerrymandering post 2020 census...where they could. Problem is, in many states they "controlled", the state laws kick the process to relatively independent commissions.
True. Nevertheless, I favor independent over partisan redistricting. Dems are in general agreement with the concept. Republicans have fought against them every step of the way.

Good. It’s about time they start catching up with all the rigged democrat house seats.

True. Nevertheless, I favor independent over partisan redistricting. Dems are in general agreement with the concept. Republicans have fought against them every step of the way.
I'm open to either myself. Politics is not, in fact, a dirty word, and at the end of the day, there are practical limits to gerrymandering under baker, gray, and their progeny.

Last edited:
😂 I just knew, when I saw that you responded to my comment, that you were going to “both sides” this thing.
1) my comment didn’t make a party distinction, so that’s just your guilty conscience talking.
2) the idea that the situation in Alabama “offsets” NC’s gerrymandering is foolish. In the 2020 general election, trump got 62% of the votes in AL; whereas the AL Congressional District changes lowered republicans dominance from 89% to 78%. There’s no offset going on there. AL is still set up to disproportionately favor republicans, even after the supposed fix.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
😂 I just knew, when I saw that you responded to my comment, that you were going to “both sides” this thing.
1) my comment didn’t make a party distinction, so that’s just your guilty conscience talking.
2) the idea that the situation in Alabama “offsets” NC’s gerrymandering is foolish. In the 2020 general election, trump got 62% of the votes in AL; whereas the AL Congressional District changes lowered republicans dominance from 89% to 78%. There’s no offset going on there. AL is still set up to disproportionately favor republicans, even after the supposed fix.
WADR, I think that the word "offsets" was originally being used in a strictly mathematical sense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT