HR Legend
Nov 30, 2011
Another thread discussed HROTers who has visited
Norway. This thread is interested in HROTers who
have Norwegian descendants.

By the year 1900, 80% of the Norwegian Immigrants
had settled in six Midwest states: Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota,
Wisconsin, South Dakota, and North Dakota. In fact,
25% of North Dakota at that time was Norwegian immigrants.

By1920, 1,200,000 Norwegians had migrated to America.
Settlements of Norwegians: Decorah, Iowa, Mankato, Minn.
Muskego, Wisconsin, Fox River Valley in Illinois

Do any of you have Norwegian descendants?

Yes. 75% Norwegian. I haven’t yet, but my folks have been back to the home country and visited family who elected out of the great migration.

My father's ancestry is mostly British/Scottish.

My mother's ancestry is Heinz 57.

Probably some Viking blood in there somewhere.

Maternal grandmother was Norwegian and her family emigrated. Some settled in South Dakota while her parents went to Alberta.

Another thread discussed HROTers who has visited
Norway. This thread is interested in HROTers who
have Norwegian descendants.

By the year 1900, 80% of the Norwegian Immigrants
had settled in six Midwest states: Iowa, Illinois, Minnesota,
Wisconsin, South Dakota, and North Dakota. In fact,
25% of North Dakota at that time was Norwegian immigrants.

By1920, 1,200,000 Norwegians had migrated to America.
Settlements of Norwegians: Decorah, Iowa, Mankato, Minn.
Muskego, Wisconsin, Fox River Valley in Illinois

Do any of you have Norwegian descendants?
Roland and Story City, Iowa area, too.

Both grandparents on my father's side emigrated from Norway in early 1900's. My mother's mother was also the granddaughter of a Norwegian immigrant.

Grandmother was 100% Norwegian. Great Grandparents settled in Southern Minnesota and then eventually North Central Iowa.

My wife is ~50% Norwegian from her mother’s side. I don’t have any Norwegian heritage in my ancestral background at least to my knowledge.

My dad’s family lived in Scarville, Iowa. His grandparents came from Voss, Norway and Aurland, Norway. Just got back from visiting distant relatives who live on the old family farm that they have lived on for maybe 400 years.

My dad’s family lived in Scarville, Iowa. His grandparents came from Voss, Norway and Aurland, Norway. Just got back from visiting distant relatives who live on the old family farm that they have lived on for maybe 400 years.
My grandfather's farm was about four miles from Scarville. Small world.

Reactions: Torg
Vilkng decendant checking in. Grandmother was 2 generation Norwegian milk farmer from Minnesota. Relocated to California at some point

I’m mostly English
and Scottish. No Nor
wegian to
my
knowledge. I
just didn’
t want to be left
out so
I’m
Joining in.
Those Vikings got around a lot. There’s still hope for you.

My wife is from Decorah. Her grandfather and 2 uncle's immagrated in the early 1900's. All 3 brothers have the same last name spelled differently because all 3 brothers got in different lines when coming through customs.

Reactions: HawkAttackDial911
No. Going back 10 generations I have 1 German and a small handful of Irish.

My wife is from Decorah. Her grandfather and 2 uncle's immagrated in the early 1900's. All 3 brothers have the same last name spelled differently because all 3 brothers got in different lines when coming through customs.

My wife’s family on her mother’s side has a similar story. They came from Poland and had some crazy long last name. The person taking the names couldn’t understand it so they were given the last name Krasko like many Polish immigrants that day.

Reactions: Lurker1999
Both grandparents on my father's side were born
in Norway. They came to Davenport, Iowa.

I usually save my dislike for Swedes, but I'll make an exception in your case. :)

ebb85ff6075427e654405717b38ffb74.jpg

My maternal great grandparents were from Madla, near Stavanger, Norway. I got to visit with my great-grandfather maybe 9-10 times before he passed away in the late 80’s. Really interesting guy who did math problems and read a lot to entertain himself. My grandfather raised his family in Forest City, IA near the Minnesota border.

My maternal great grandparents were from Madla, near Stavanger, Norway. I got to visit with my great-grandfather maybe 9-10 times before he passed away in the late 80’s. Really interesting guy who did math problems and read a lot to entertain himself. My grandfather raised his family in Forest City, IA near the Minnesota border.
I lived in Forest City and graduated from high school there. I might have known your grandfather if he lived there in the 60's.

I lived in Forest City and graduated from high school there. I might have known your grandfather if he lived there in the 60's.

He did, from the late 50’s to the 90’s. My mother was class of ‘71 and her older brothers graduated in the 60’s.

He did, from the late 50’s to the 90’s. My mother was class of ‘71 and her older brothers graduated in the 60’s.
I was a 1969 graduate. We had a three year high school at that time so your mother would have been a sophomore my senior year.

My paternal great grandmother was Danish. There’s a lot of overlap with Norwegians and Danes, including my family.

I’m Danish. You Norwegians are a laughable people, but at least you’re not Dutch.

According to the Ancestry DNA test I'm...

33% Danish (Dad's family)
33% Dutch (Mom's family)
33% Scotch-English

The Danish immigrants came to Eastern Iowa. The Dutch went to Western Michigan. Clearly the Dutch got their choice of states wrong.

Basically my mom's family was from Norway and my dad's from Denmark. My Norwegian ancestors settled in SE South Dakota and eventually moved across the river into NE Nebraska.
My Danish ancestors settled in the Walnut/Harlan area in SW Iowa before moving to NW Iowa.

3/4 Norwegian, 1/4 German. NW/NC Iowa farmers, Ellis Island immigrants from around 1900.

My family reunions are accordingly dull as can be. Our family on both sides farmed yet mine didn't...so we're the heathen relatives for each.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT