ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing has changed. With an AVERAGE Offense, this Team is 10-2 in the Regular Season Last Year (NOT 7-5) & 11-1 this Year

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
And we don't lose ugly to teams like Penn State this year (31-0) and Ohio State last year (54-10).

We are in the driver's seat for the B1G Championship game. Does that look like much fun with this offense? Tory Taylor is fantastic but continual 3 and outs and punting is not winning conference championships and beyond, and isn't that the ultimate goal?

Winning is not easy. Nobody had us winning at Penn State this season, but Iowa should not be losing 31-0 to anyone. Iowa should not be a national laughing stock for the second consecutive year because of our anemic offense.

Iowa was 7-5 in the regular season last year. But look at those 5 losses. With simply an average offense, last season SHOULD have been a 10 win (some would argue 11) regular season.

The 5 ugly losses last season:

7-10.......Clown U
14-27.....Michigan
6-9........Illinois
10-54....Ohio State
17-24.....Little Debbie, the official snack cake of the B1G

Last edited:
The offense makes me want to poke my eyeballs out. Silver lining is it seems we may have figured out how to run the ball finally.

Reactions: QChawks
And we don't lose ugly to teams like Penn State this year (31-0) and Ohio State last year (54-10).

We are in the driver's seat for the B1G Championship game. Does that look like much fun with this offense? Tory Taylor is fantastic but continually 3 and outs and punting is not winning.

Winning is not easy. Nobody had us winning at Penn State this season, but Iowa should not be losing 31-0 to anyone. Iowa should not be a national laughing stock for the second consecutive year because of our anemic offense.

Iowa was 7-5 in the regular season last year. Just look at the 5 losses. With simply an average offense, last season SHOULD have been a 10 win (some would argue 11) regular season.

7-10.......Clown U
14-27.....Michigan
6-9........Illinois
10-54....Ohio State

First of all, you can't just have an average offense in a vacuum. Other teams play defense too, and being since we are a flawed team (I will get into that later) we can't do much about the physical mismatches. It is exactly what we do to other teams, including Wisconsin yesterday that most would say had an average offense and we held them to 6 points. PSU this year, Illinois, OSU, Minnesota (even though we won), Michigan and ISU had not just above average defenses but spectacular ones. Nebraska was an anamoly but keep things in context, they knocked out Cooper and Petras and was able to take advantage of a freshmen corner with their one mismatch. They loaded up the box against us and dared Padilla to beat them. Throw in the controversial play by Bruce and they were able to take advantage. That is how we lost those games.

No stat can tell you if you have a complete football team or unit. USC this year is probably still regarded as having an elite offense yet they got blown out and only scored 20 points, a laughable number these days and below Brian's standard. To a 2 loss team no less. It happens when you are flawed like most teams.

Now why are we flawed? First of all it starts with the o line. We all know that. But also know that great o lines are not built overnight. There is a lot of time and investment there and development is key. Sure there are a couple players here and there that are ready out of high school, but they are very very rare. And if you do get a guy like a Wirfs, or even Jackson, it can hurt you in the long run.

How? In a perfect world you would love to bring in a bunch of athletic tight ends out if high school, red shirt them, bulk them up then in year 4 and 5 they are ready to go. And you would hope they all have the same talent. But, when you bring in a stud that starts in year 1 or 2, it totally alters that schedule. It's hard to bring in players when they know they have to play behind a superstar. Then when those guys leave there is a talent void that is usually filled by players that are not ready. This has happened on the oline since 2020 as well as the receiver room too. We all need to thank our lucky stars that Jay Higgins stuck around for his shot because most of the time a loss of a great player like Campbell would mean starting a freshmen the next season. The numbers game all supports this because a team can't even recruit enough players to make a complete team every year, so when you have a miss here and there due to not being any good, transfer or injury, it moves up that cycle. We have seen all of that in spades on offense. Like next year, we were more than likely going to lose Lachey, All and Stilianos anyway due to draft or graduation, so there was going to be a major drop off in tight end play any way you look at it. Now it is here in front of us.

That leads into something everyone deals with, how good are your two's? The two's everywhere are worse as a whole because of the transfer portal. For us the one position group we depend on two's more than any other, at a detriment to scholarships available for the offense and especially the line, is the d line. This was a major shift in philosophy after seeing our lack of depth hurting us late in games and in the season because they were wore down. That start 10-12 years ago.

Sorry for the long response, but my point is that right now we are on a backup QB, our 4th, 5th, and 6th string tight ends and we don't have a receiver that would be on any 2 deep on any team in the P5. For everyone else they would get a pass. I think with the way that the o line is progressing that if we had a healthy Cade, Luke and All that we could have a punchers chance against those teams in the East. And if they all lose their 3 best players I would love to line up with them.

Context. It is all a out context.

On one hand, winning is all that matters and we’re doing that pretty consistently. On the other, we’re not competitive with the top tier teams in the country. But then again, I don’t know that we’ve ever really been.

Occasionally we can punch with OSU, PSU and Michigan but when they’re at their best, we just don’t get the same type of players they do and never really have.

I keep telling myself that were better than all but 20-30 teams in the country which is pretty good considering the level of talent the state of Iowa has versus other states.

Reactions: RLMHAWK
Enjoy it. The future is not bright for Iowa football, as I'm sure you are aware.
I'm under no illusions on the future of Iowa football. Should Iowa go 11-1 or 10-2 this year the odds are that they will get smoked in the BTCG. I'm also of the opinion that reaching 11-1 or 10-2 in the coming years will become infinitely more difficult come next year and that getting there will require changes offensively.

To all of that I say "So what". I'm living in the present.

I am surprised that you have this take. The offense is not good, we know that. But let's look at it in the proper context.

First of all, you can't just have an average offense in a vacuum. Other teams play defense too, and being since we are a flawed team (I will get into that later) we can't do much about the physical mismatches. It is exactly what we do to other teams, including Wisconsin yesterday that most would say had an average offense and we held them to 6 points. PSU this year, Illinois, OSU, Minnesota (even though we won), Michigan and ISU had not just above average defenses but spectacular ones. Nebraska was an anamoly but keep things in context, they knocked out Cooper and Petras and was able to take advantage of a freshmen corner with their one mismatch. They loaded up the box against us and dared Padilla to beat them. Throw in the controversial play by Bruce and they were able to take advantage. That is how we lost those games.

No stat can tell you if you have a complete football team or unit. USC this year is probably still regarded as having an elite offense yet they got blown out and only scored 20 points, a laughable number these days and below Brian's standard. To a 2 loss team no less. It happens when you are flawed like most teams.

Now why are we flawed? First of all it starts with the o line. We all know that. But also know that great o lines are not built overnight. There is a lot of time and investment there and development is key. Sure there are a couple players here and there that are ready out of high school, but they are very very rare. And if you do get a guy like a Wirfs, or even Jackson, it can hurt you in the long run.

How? In a perfect world you would love to bring in a bunch of athletic tight ends out if high school, red shirt them, bulk them up then in year 4 and 5 they are ready to go. And you would hope they all have the same talent. But, when you bring in a stud that starts in year 1 or 2, it totally alters that schedule. It's hard to bring in players when they know they have to play behind a superstar. Then when those guys leave there is a talent void that is usually filled by players that are not ready. This has happened on the oline since 2020 as well as the receiver room too. We all need to thank our lucky stars that Jay Higgins stuck around for his shot because most of the time a loss of a great player like Campbell would mean starting a freshmen the next season. The numbers game all supports this because a team can't even recruit enough players to make a complete team every year, so when you have a miss here and there due to not being any good, transfer or injury, it moves up that cycle. We have seen all of that in spades on offense. Like next year, we were more than likely going to lose Lachey, All and Stilianos anyway due to draft or graduation, so there was going to be a major drop off in tight end play any way you look at it. Now it is here in front of us.

That leads into something everyone deals with, how good are your two's? The two's everywhere are worse as a whole because of the transfer portal. For us the one position group we depend on two's more than any other, at a detriment to scholarships available for the offense and especially the line, is the d line. This was a major shift in philosophy after seeing our lack of depth hurting us late in games and in the season because they were wore down. That start 10-12 years ago.

Sorry for the long response, but my point is that right now we are on a backup QB, our 4th, 5th, and 6th string tight ends and we don't have a receiver that would be on any 2 deep on any team in the P5. For everyone else they would get a pass. I think with the way that the o line is progressing that if we had a healthy Cade, Luke and All that we could have a punchers chance against those teams in the East. And if they all lose their 3 best players I would love to line up with them.

The injuries are definitely an issue, having a health All and Lachey would make a difference. Will miss watching All play, very talented

It is understandable that other teams have good defenses, but, other teams play teams with good defenses are not consistently the worst in CFB on offense.

The offense was really bad before the injuries, and there is no development of QB's or how to identify them in recruiting.

With the schedule, there is a chance Iowa could be playing for a playoff berth if they are 11-1 going into the Big Ten Championship game. Amazing if that is the scenario

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I am surprised that you have this take. The offense is not good, we know that. But let's look at it in the proper context.

In every context, our offense is abysmal and a detriment to winning. Almost zero threat to score. Takes no time off the clock, putting more pressure on the defense, often with the defense on the wrong side of the field. To say it’s the other teams holding our offense back, is a joke.

I'm under no illusions on the future of Iowa football. Should Iowa go 11-1 or 10-2 this year the odds are that they will get smoked in the BTCG. I'm also of the opinion that reaching 11-1 or 10-2 in the coming years will become infinitely more difficult come next year and that getting there will require changes offensively.

Yep, just enjoy seeing this happen, kind of amazing to be so bad in one aspect and so elite in other areas. Fun watching the defense dominate.

We are in the driver's seat for the B1G Championship game. Does that look like much fun with this offense? Tory Taylor is fantastic but continual 3 and outs and punting is not winning conference championships and beyond, and isn't that the ultimate goal?

Iowa was 7-5 in the regular season last year. But look at those 5 losses. With simply an average offense, last season SHOULD have been a 10 win (some would argue 11) regular season.

7-10.......Clown U
14-27.....Michigan
6-9........Illinois
10-54....Ohio State
You know why this is a stupid post ? Kirk is playing without his qb, top 3 tight ends and #2 rb.

so you just keep posting garbage like this to keep the mantra going.

• Haha
Reactions: vonviener
Might be 11-1 this year in spite of this offense
If we had an avg offense, a 90th rated offense that could move the ball and score 20 points we would almost be a lock , a sure thing to now finish 11-1.

We need to get some wide pass plays that work to outflank the loaded box defenses.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
If the goal is to win a B1G Championship and compete against the very best in a 12 team College Football Playoff, I would argue that this is not the recipe for success:

......................Penn State.....IOWA
Time possession....45:27......14:33
Yds Offense...............397...........76
1st Downs....................28.............4
3rd Down.................9-20..........1-9
Lost Fumbles...............0..............4

Reactions: ClarindaA's
If the goal is to win a B1G Championship and compete against the very best in a 12 team College Football Playoff, I would argue that this is not the recipe for success:

What’s the point of this post ? That we aren’t a playoff team and penn state is better than us ?

You know why this is a stupid post ? Kirk is playing without his qb, top 3 tight ends and #2 rb.

so you just keep posting garbage like this to keep the mantra going.

you know why this is a stupid post? you completely ignore what I said about last year.

Interesting that you are ok with the 5 ugly losses from last season:

7-10.......Clown U
14-27.....Michigan
6-9........Illinois
10-54....Ohio State

Iowa is 6-1. I am sick of the complaining. Time to appreciate what this team has accomplished
We love being 6-1, we hate the offense, the offensive philosophy. How much better would last year have been beating Illinois and Iowa State? Score 14 points and we have a 10 win season. The whole sports world, including coaches, pile on this dog shit.

We love being 6-1, we hate the offense, the offensive philosophy. How much better would last year have been beating Illinois and Iowa State? Score 14 points and we have a 10 win season. The whole sports world, including coaches, pile on this dog shit.
Yea but it’s really dumb when KF is winning games with no qb and no tight ends

• Haha
What’s the point of this post ? That we aren’t a playoff team and penn state is better than us ?

I guess I need to spell it out. The offense held us back last year from wining the B1G West. Some were relieved because that meant we would not suffer another Michigan beat down.

This year we should go 11-1 and win the B1G West. But when we face Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State for the B1G Championship, this offense is not going to cut it once again.

so let’s bring up negative shit when we are 6-1 and winning with no qb or tight ends. Agenda driven garbage
The agenda isn getting BF the hell out, scoring some points to help the defense, stop wasting great to elite defenses, recruiting better offensive weapons by showing our offensive coordinator isn’t a dumbass. Love that we are 6-1. We can’t dream of winning the Big Ten because of our offense though. Even before the injuries.

The injuries are definitely an issue, having a health All and Lachey would make a difference. Will miss watching All play, very talented

It is understandable that other teams have good defenses, but, other teams play teams with good defenses are not consistently the worst in CFB on offense.

The offense was really bad before the injuries, and there is no development of QB's or how to identify them in recruiting.

With the schedule, there is a chance Iowa could be playing for a playoff berth if they are 11-1 going into the Big Ten Championship game. Amazing if that is the scenario
Somewhat ironically, I hope we get there and get another crack at PSU. I think we match up better against them than against UM or tOSU, mainly because I think their offenses are too explosive for us to ever have a chance of keeping up. The same is likely true of PSU, of course, but it would be fun to get a rematch on a neutral field.

If we happen to be 11-1, we would most assuredly be the worst 11-1 in the nation and would be appropriately mocked in the media as such, but we’d have absolutely nothing to lose, and football can be a crazy game sometimes. If Tory were on fire and we got a turnover and/or big special teams play or 2 we might be able to pull off an ugly W against PSU — and how sweet that would be. Granted, probably a 10% chance, but crazy things can happen when one team has nothing to lose and the pressure is all on the opponent.

I doubt PSU gets there and I very much doubt we’d beat them if they did, but a guy can dream.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
I guess I need to spell it out. The offense held us back last year from wining the B1G West. Some were relieved because that meant we would not suffer another Michigan beat down.

This year we should go 11-1 and win the B1G West. But when we face Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State for the B1G Championship, this offense is not going to cut it once again.
you could second guess and rip every team in the country outside of the four that make the playoffs. if only their offense or their defense was better they would have won it all.

right now it just makes you look like an @ss Fran because you are ripping Kirk after a win when he has no qb and no tight end due to injury. that’s Garbage

• Haha
at this point the agenda isn’t results driven, it’s just to fire Kirk no matter what. Some of this piling on is complete cowardice.

• Haha
I may be wrong, but I think that there’s still a QB playing for Iowa.
Not a particularly good one, but still…

• Love
Reactions: Bierhalter

That game was a shitshow in every sense of the word. And if played again, I have no doubt Iowa would still lose. But I also believe it got sideways, real fast, in an incredibly tough environment. What if All doesn’t fumble? What if we don’t muff the punt? Maybe we lose 24-13 or something like that and all of a sudden the narrative is quite different.

USC just got dominated by 28 last nite (we lost by 31). And 7 of their points were a return TD - so their vaunted offense scored 13!

I have no delusions about the rest of the season - I think most remaining games are going to be very close and tough and we could lose any of them. We have a QB that is completing a brutal percent of his passes and missing our top two receiving threats. But complaining about being 6-1 and 12-2 over our last 14 games is like complaining about being given an ice cold beer but it’s not your favorite kind.

Vic Vaseline stinks of the former Hawkpocrisy….guessing new handle and same troll

Somewhat ironically, I hope we get there and get another crack at PSU. I think we match up better against them than against UM or tOSU, mainly because I think their offenses are too explosive for us to ever have a chance of keeping up. The same is likely true of PSU, of course, but it would be fun to get a rematch on a neutral field.

If we happen to be 11-1, we would most assuredly be the worst 11-1 in the nation and would be appropriately mocked in the media as such, but we’d have absolutely nothing to lose, and football can be a crazy game sometimes. If Tory were on fire and we got a turnover and/or big special teams play or 2 we might be able to pull off an ugly W against PSU — and how sweet that would be. Granted, probably a 10% chance, but crazy things can happen when one team has nothing to lose and the pressure is all on the opponent.

I doubt PSU gets there and I very much doubt we’d beat them if they did, but a guy can dream.

The round robin begins next weekend:

Oct 21: Penn State at Ohio State
Nov 11: Michigan at Penn State
Nov 25: Ohio State at Michigan

at this point the agenda isn’t results driven, it’s just to fire Kirk no matter what. Some of this piling on is complete cowardice.

Or it’s that the last three years the offense has been abysmal, a laughingstock, cost us at least 3 games if not 6. No apparent change in philosophy, nepotism, etc.

That game was a shitshow in every sense of the word. And if played again, I have no doubt Iowa would still lose. But I also believe it got sideways, real fast, in an incredibly tough environment. What if All doesn’t fumble? What if we don’t muff the punt? Maybe we lose 24-13 or something like that and all of a sudden the narrative is quite different.

USC just got dominated by 28 last nite (we lost by 31). And 7 of their points were a return TD - so their vaunted offense scored 13!

I have no delusions about the rest of the season - I think most remaining games are going to be very close and tough and we could lose any of them. We have a QB that is completing a brutal percent of his passes and missing our top two receiving threats. But complaining about being 6-1 and 12-2 over our last 14 games is like complaining about being given an ice cold beer but it’s not your favorite kind.
It’s time to realize there is an agenda afoot to fire Kirk and it’s not results driven. For the little sheep at the bottom they just repeat what they hear, but for the media types, they have their marching orders. it’s about ESG scores/DEI and the university endowment.

It’s time to realize there is an agenda afoot to fire Kirk and it’s not results driven. For the little sheep at the bottom they just repeat what they hear, but for the media types, they have their marching orders. it’s about ESG scores/DEI and the university endowment.
No one wants Kirk fired. We want NepoBaby gone. A new offense that Kirk leaves alone. Let Phil, Ryan Grubb, and LeVar all do what they do.

No one wants Kirk fired. We want NepoBaby gone. A new offense that Kirk leaves alone. Let Phil, Ryan Grubb, and LeVar all do what they do.
And a sheep says Baaa, of course you want Kirk fired. and it’s not about results, it’s about something else.

To be ripping Kirk after a win at Wisconsin when he’s playing without his qb and all of his tight ends are out is complete garbage, and cowardly at that.

• Haha

Would have to look at the other conferences to see how it might play out. If Iowa is 11-1 and beats OSU, Michigan, or Penn State in the conference championship, wonder how it would fall out. Iowa would have a big win and only a loss on the road at Penn State. Doubtful to occur, but, would be amazing to see it play out.
The game at Nebraska could be stressful

7-10.......Clown U
14-27.....Michigan
6-9........Illinois
10-54....Ohio State

Questioning why Kirk's son is still the offensive coordinator is a valid discussion on a Hawkeye message board.

Do you think Brian Ferentz is qualified for the offensive coordinator position? Yes or no?

You bring up "results driven." Are you ok with the results of losing to Iowa State, Illinois and Nebraska last year? Yes or no?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT