ADVERTISEMENT

Nothing has changed. With an AVERAGE Offense, this Team is 10-2 in the Regular Season Last Year (NOT 7-5) & 11-1 this Year

I guess I need to spell it out. The offense held us back last year from wining the B1G West. Some were relieved because that meant we would not suffer another Michigan beat down.

This year we should go 11-1 and win the B1G West. But when we face Michigan, Ohio State or Penn State for the B1G Championship, this offense is not going to cut it once again.
Of course it won't. Again I say so what. Every clear minded fan understands this but that's way down the road. We've pretty much known that since the first game against South Dakota State when the realization set in that the offense looked pretty much exactly like it had the previous 2 years. And yet they've won every game with the exception of the game everyone expected them to lose.

I understand that everyone wants change and the modicum of success this year ensures that there will be no changes. Count me in that group. With that said, let's see if they can win this division in its final year of existence. They've got a good shot at it.

Reactions: MikeyHawk
Questioning why Kirk's son is still the offensive coordinator is a valid discussion on a Hawkeye message board.

Do you think Brian Ferentz is qualified for the offensive coordinator position? Yes or no?

You bring up "results driven." Are you ok with the results of losing to Iowa State, Illinois and Nebraska last year? Yes or no?
You have to bring up last year after a win on the road at Wisconsin, nice agenda.

It’s becoming obvious that the agenda is pushing Kirk out, especially after a road win at Wisconsin when Kirk is without his qb and all of his tight ends.

Keep carrying water Fran, it’s obvious what you are doing.

• Haha
Reactions: vonviener
You have to bring up last year after a win on the road at Wisconsin, nice agenda.

It’s becoming obvious that the agenda is pushing Kirk out, especially after a road win at Wisconsin when Kirk is without his qb and all of his tight ends.

Keep carrying water Fran, it’s obvious what you are doing.
It's becoming obvious you have zero clue what you speak of. Brian is a terrible coordinator and his RESULTS are reflective of it. There is no need to get rid of Kirk but he needs to stay away from the offense. You will still cry about this being negative towards the program. You refuse to improve.

It's becoming obvious you have zero clue what you speak of. Brian is a terrible coordinator and his RESULTS are reflective of it. There is no need to get rid of Kirk but he needs to stay away from the offense. You will still cry about this being negative towards the program. You refuse to improve.
No. He's a nutjob conspiracy theorist who thinks the libs are out to get Kirk.

I am surprised that you have this take. The offense is not good, we know that. But let's look at it in the proper context.

First of all, you can't just have an average offense in a vacuum. Other teams play defense too, and being since we are a flawed team (I will get into that later) we can't do much about the physical mismatches. It is exactly what we do to other teams, including Wisconsin yesterday that most would say had an average offense and we held them to 6 points. PSU this year, Illinois, OSU, Minnesota (even though we won), Michigan and ISU had not just above average defenses but spectacular ones. Nebraska was an anamoly but keep things in context, they knocked out Cooper and Petras and was able to take advantage of a freshmen corner with their one mismatch. They loaded up the box against us and dared Padilla to beat them. Throw in the controversial play by Bruce and they were able to take advantage. That is how we lost those games.

No stat can tell you if you have a complete football team or unit. USC this year is probably still regarded as having an elite offense yet they got blown out and only scored 20 points, a laughable number these days and below Brian's standard. To a 2 loss team no less. It happens when you are flawed like most teams.

Now why are we flawed? First of all it starts with the o line. We all know that. But also know that great o lines are not built overnight. There is a lot of time and investment there and development is key. Sure there are a couple players here and there that are ready out of high school, but they are very very rare. And if you do get a guy like a Wirfs, or even Jackson, it can hurt you in the long run.

How? In a perfect world you would love to bring in a bunch of athletic tight ends out if high school, red shirt them, bulk them up then in year 4 and 5 they are ready to go. And you would hope they all have the same talent. But, when you bring in a stud that starts in year 1 or 2, it totally alters that schedule. It's hard to bring in players when they know they have to play behind a superstar. Then when those guys leave there is a talent void that is usually filled by players that are not ready. This has happened on the oline since 2020 as well as the receiver room too. We all need to thank our lucky stars that Jay Higgins stuck around for his shot because most of the time a loss of a great player like Campbell would mean starting a freshmen the next season. The numbers game all supports this because a team can't even recruit enough players to make a complete team every year, so when you have a miss here and there due to not being any good, transfer or injury, it moves up that cycle. We have seen all of that in spades on offense. Like next year, we were more than likely going to lose Lachey, All and Stilianos anyway due to draft or graduation, so there was going to be a major drop off in tight end play any way you look at it. Now it is here in front of us.

That leads into something everyone deals with, how good are your two's? The two's everywhere are worse as a whole because of the transfer portal. For us the one position group we depend on two's more than any other, at a detriment to scholarships available for the offense and especially the line, is the d line. This was a major shift in philosophy after seeing our lack of depth hurting us late in games and in the season because they were wore down. That start 10-12 years ago.

Sorry for the long response, but my point is that right now we are on a backup QB, our 4th, 5th, and 6th string tight ends and we don't have a receiver that would be on any 2 deep on any team in the P5. For everyone else they would get a pass. I think with the way that the o line is progressing that if we had a healthy Cade, Luke and All that we could have a punchers chance against those teams in the East. And if they all lose their 3 best players I would love to line up with them.

Context. It is all an out context.
How good was the offense with a 5th year senior qb and two outstanding tight ends last year? Stop. No excuses, injuries happen and coaches can’t get a pass infinitely just because they do half the job well. Kirk has to make a tough call this year regardless of that contract.

No one wants Kirk fired. We want NepoBaby gone. A new offense that Kirk leaves alone. Let Phil, Ryan Grubb, and LeVar all do what they do.
First it was fire KOK. Then fire GDGD. Now fire Brian. The nepotism angle is a brutal look and gives talking heads (and fans) something more to complain about. But this is the same offensive philosophy since day 1 under Kirk, and will continue to be no matter who the OC happens to be.

I’m not suggesting all is good and rosey. Just that the issue is far more complex that “fire Brian.” And candidly, as long as the overall formula is producing wins (clearly that’s the overall requirement here), then it’s hard justify draconian changes. It would be like biting the hand that feeds us (KF feeds us).

I do think the OL is brutal…still…and that’s the bigger pressure point - unless they continue to improve like the last game.

First it was fire KOK. Then fire GDGD. Now fire Brian. The nepotism angle is a brutal look and gives talking heads (and fans) something more to complain about. But this is the same offensive philosophy since day 1 under Kirk, and will continue to be no matter who the OC happens to be.

I’m not suggesting all is good and rosey. Just that the issue is far more complex that “fire Brian.” And candidly, as long as the overall formula is producing wins (clearly that’s the overall requirement here), then it’s hard justify draconian changes. It would be like biting the hand that feeds us (KF feeds us).

I do think the OL is brutal…still…and that’s the bigger pressure point - unless they continue to improve like the last game.
Why I am more than ready for Kirk to retire.

The offensive philosophy of trying to win not having an offense…just sucks.

Do people actually get satisfaction out of the week-in-and-week-out mystery question asked by everyone: “How does Iowa keep winning?”

That poster and others are saying, "well, TEs 1-3 are out. RB2 is Out. RB1 was out for 3 weeks. QB1 is Out."

Well, that still does not explain why our WRs are not involved in the passing game.

And is still does not explain why KF says that going to a fully healthy Joe Labas (who started the bowl game) is not an option.
Yea this Iowa team crippled with injuries just beat Wisconsin on the road but you Have to keep up your agenda to find something to bash Kirk about after a win. pathetic.

I think this win upset some people who want Iowa to lose so they can fire Kirk . too bad

• Haha
Reactions: globalhawk
How good was the offense with a 5th year senior qb and two outstanding tight ends last year? Stop. No excuses, injuries happen and coaches can’t get a pass infinitely just because they do half the job well. Kirk has to make a tough call this year regardless of that contract.
With an ineffective offensive line and really no wide receivers, against teams with elite edge rushers. And our statue QB. Stack the box, bracket the tight ends and pin your ears back on 3rd down was the recipe.

I love how people like you want your coaching staff to leave after they have gone 11-2 in the last 13 games. Now before you start running your mouth about how the west is so bad how come nobody else can do it? Want to get a guy like Fickell, a huge get for Wisconsin, that just got out-coached by KF? What about Prime, who just pissed away a 29 point lead to a team that hadn't won a conference game in a couple years? Who else? The coach at Miami that has more talent within walking distance of the campus than Iowa has in the whole state over a 10 year period? How is Dabo doing now that he doesn't have #1 draft picks all over the roster? Wasn't he the greatest coach ever? Or Saban, with all those 5 stars didn't score BF's 25 against an also-ran Arkansas? Or USC and whatever his name is, could only muster 20 against a 2 loss ND team with a supposed generational QB and stud edge receivers?

You all think it is just so easy. Guess what, it isn't. All of the above coaches are getting heat right now too. All of them. If you are an Iowa fan you should thank your f***ing lucky starts to have a coach that has built and maintained a program like this. Damn you people!

Not really, Iowa was not last in offense with the prior OC's

That poster and others are saying, "well, TEs 1-3 are out. RB2 is Out. RB1 was out for 3 weeks. QB1 is Out."

Well, that still does not explain why our WRs are not involved in the passing game.

And is still does not explain why KF says that going to a fully healthy Joe Labas (who started the bowl game) is not an option.
You know why our WR's are not involved in the passing game? Because they suck. Zero separation and routinely you see linebackers running with them. We saw yesterday with Anderson, he got the reverse and he has about third gear, that is about it. I like them all, but none of them would be on the 2 deeps of any P5 team. We don't ever see any improvement here either, that is on Copeland. Atleast we see Barnett doing some work with the Oline.

And who knows anything about Labas? Is this the new CJ behind Rudock? Or Banks behind McCann? All we know is what we saw in the bowl game. But here is a theory. Maybe, just maybe, KF and BF are fully leaning into this PA concept and Deacon has a much bigger arm than Labas. And maybe they don't need Deacon to be accurate, we need the threat of the deep ball to keep the safeties out of the box. The threat of it getting thrown over your head is enough to keep you honest, and getting beat on the big play once out of 10 times is much more of a threat than 60% underneath. Do not underestimate the value of the big arm and how that lightens the box. It is not ideal but under the circumstances it is the biggest band aid we have.

Do you know anything about football? Or are you a guy that looks at stats?

• Haha
Reactions: Bierhalter
I can't believe that Iowa is in any driver's seat. Remember the driver's seat last year. All that Iowa had to do was beat a losing below average Nebraska team at home. Iowa is capable of losing one or all of the next five games.

Reactions: vonviener

Kirk’s offense is a drag on the overall wins

If the goal is to win a B1G Championship and compete against the very best in a 12 team College Football Playoff, I would argue that this is not the recipe for success:

......................Penn State.....IOWA
Time possession....45:27......14:33
Yds Offense...............397...........76
1st Downs....................28.............4
3rd Down.................9-20..........1-9
Lost Fumbles...............0..............4
STATS ARE FOR LOSERS.
I really believe if Iowa scores on that early drive (All’s fumble on the PS 20) this game is completely different. No way to prove it, just a gut feeling. I’d love tho see Iowa play PSU again this year. Just one of those games.
Iowa has a huge game this coming week vs. Minnesota. With all the injuries, it‘ll be real tough to keep Floyd in Iowa City. But NEVER underestimated the Hawks. EVER.

Not really, Iowa was not last in offense with the prior OC's
Exactly. Some people just don't get it. KOK may have had his ups and downs, but he did have some years where the offense was pretty solid. Yes, the OCs are running the style of offense KF wants, but let's not pretend we've been dead last nationally the past 25 years. Things have gotten far worse.

The thing I don't see ANYONE talk about... EVER... Is BF also being the QB coach. Yet I see people constantly rip the QB's performance. That falls on Brian, also, IMO.

Reactions: Bierhalter
You know why our WR's are not involved in the passing game? Because they suck. Zero separation and routinely you see linebackers running with them. We saw yesterday with Anderson, he got the reverse and he has about third gear, that is about it. I like them all, but none of them would be on the 2 deeps of any P5 team. We don't ever see any improvement here either, that is on Copeland. Atleast we see Barnett doing some work with the Oline.

And who knows anything about Labas? Is this the new CJ behind Rudock? Or Banks behind McCann? All we know is what we saw in the bowl game. But here is a theory. Maybe, just maybe, KF and BF are fully leaning into this PA concept and Deacon has a much bigger arm than Labas. And maybe they don't need Deacon to be accurate, we need the threat of the deep ball to keep the safeties out of the box. The threat of it getting thrown over your head is enough to keep you honest, and getting beat on the big play once out of 10 times is much more of a threat than 60% underneath. Do not underestimate the value of the big arm and how that lightens the box. It is not ideal but under the circumstances it is the biggest band aid we have.

Do you know anything about football? Or are you a guy that looks at stats?

LOL; you clearly don't have a clue what you are talking about. And why do I say that? You keep typing up stuff that everyone is ignoring, and for good reason.

STATS ARE FOR LOSERS.
I really believe if Iowa scores on that early drive (All’s fumble on the PS 20) this game is completely different. No way to prove it, just a gut feeling. I’d love tho see Iowa play PSU again this year. Just one of those games.
Iowa has a huge game this coming week vs. Minnesota. With all the injuries, it‘ll be real tough to keep Floyd in Iowa City. But NEVER underestimated the Hawks. EVER.

Going with your big old loser gut feeling regarding the 31-0 Penn State game, huh? Makes so much sense, Joel. LOL

So, according to you, Iowa losing 31-0 to Penn State was "just one of those games."

Was Iowa losing 42-3 to Michigan on Dec 4, 2021 in the B1G Championship game "just one of those games," too?

Were these 5 bad losses last year all "just one of those games," too?

7-10.......Clown U
14-27.....Michigan
6-9........Illinois
10-54....Ohio State
17-24.....Little Debbie, the official snack cake of the B1G

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Going with your big old loser gut feeling regarding the 31-0 Penn State game, huh? Makes so much sense, Joel. LOL

So, according to you, Iowa losing 31-0 to Penn State was "just one of those games."

Was Iowa losing 42-3 to Michigan on Dec 4, 2021 in the B1G Championship game "just one of those games," too?

Were these 5 bad losses last year all "just one of those games," too?

7-10.......Clown U
14-27.....Michigan
6-9........Illinois
10-54....Ohio State
I am glad you are so easily amused Fran. But yes, I do believe this year’s PSU game was an anomily. I do honestly believe IF Iowa scores first (All’s fumble” that game takes a different direction as the PSU coach would turn much more “hands on” and controlling of his freshman QB……but we will never know. The UMichigan championship game was a real beat down….but I think Harbaugh is one helluva FB coach….especially when compared to Franklin (whom I believe to be a horrible “game coach”). The OSU, Illinois and Nebraska games were horrible offensive games for UIowa. Way too many turnovers….ISU last year…..they “won” that game with a very impressive 90+ yd. Drive late in the game…..several clutch 3e/4th down plays…….It was obvious at that time Iowa’s O-line was really lost.
You and I look at things differently, I guesss. But, I think my view is much more realistic…..It is what it is. Maybe it is a difference in age, experience and maturity.

And we don't lose ugly to teams like Penn State this year (31-0) and Ohio State last year (54-10).

We are in the driver's seat for the B1G Championship game. Does that look like much fun with this offense? Tory Taylor is fantastic but continual 3 and outs and punting is not winning conference championships and beyond, and isn't that the ultimate goal?

Winning is not easy. Nobody had us winning at Penn State this season, but Iowa should not be losing 31-0 to anyone. Iowa should not be a national laughing stock for the second consecutive year because of our anemic offense.

Iowa was 7-5 in the regular season last year. But look at those 5 losses. With simply an average offense, last season SHOULD have been a 10 win (some would argue 11) regular season.

The 5 ugly losses last season:

7-10.......Clown U
14-27.....Michigan
6-9........Illinois
10-54....Ohio State

ditto.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT