ADVERTISEMENT

Numbers without Fredrick

TomKakert

Publisher, HawkeyeReport.com
Sep 16, 2001
So I took a deep dive this morning into some numbers with or without Fredrick.

I kind of divide it this way, there are a couple of games where he played just part of the first half. If he doesn't play in the second, I count that as essentially a no play type game. So, I don't include MSU since he played in the first and second half in that game.

Last two years that includes 11 games. Iowa is 3-8 in those games. 0-4 this year and 3-4 last year. So, 3-8 overall in those Big Ten games the last two years. All other Big Ten games where he did play? 15-6 record for Iowa.

Ran some numbers for shooting for Iowa and opposing teams the last five vs. first seven league games.

First Seven Game Opponents

FG: 41.7%
3 PT FG: 34.9%
FT: 68.5% 63-92

Last Five

FG: 44.1%
3 PT FG: 40%
FT: 66% 73-110

Not really shocking to see the FG and 3 point percentage jump up, but it validates what we are seeing. The jump of basically 5% in three point field goal shooting percentage is most notable.

Iowa Stats First Seven

FG: 48.4%
3 PT FG: 41.9%
FT: 74.5%

Iowa Last Five

FG: 42.5%
3PT FG: 35.5%
FT: 71.2

Iowa's FG and three point shooting numbers jump out at you. Again, when it's a five or six percent change, it's notable, especially when you combine it with the jump by opposing teams.

Does this all directly attribute to Fredrick being out/limited? Maybe. It's simply worth noting.

It is also worth noting that in the last five, really the only loss that I would call a bad one would have been the first one to Indiana at CHA. No sugar coating that one. Three other losses, including two on the road and all of them came down to the final minute. Heck you go back to the meltdown at MN and that was another late game issue.

Close better and there were four potential wins out there. Again, not trying to spread sunshine here. The numbers are what they are and you are what your record says you are.

Certainly this slide is concern. Fran snapping back yesterday in his post game and the post game body language of the players after the last two games is a concern. But, I still think this team could be be very good. They are right there in almost all these games in the final minute. Can they figure out how to score and get stops late? That's going to define the rest of this season, IMHO. If they can, then there's a chance this year looks more like what most fans hoped it would be. If they can't, then get ready to pull your hair out, if you haven't already. :)

Anyway, just wanted to present some numbers for you guys to take a look at. The record with or without Fredrick was pretty eyeopening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News