ADVERTISEMENT

Some Unsurprising Stats - Men

Hawk_4shur

HR Legend
Jan 2, 2009
I took the season stats and removed the noncon cupcakes. That left 21 "good" teams - the Hawks are 9-12 against them.

FG's - Iowa has 1 more FG than their opponents in these games, but 41 fewer 3's. That's 123 points to overcome.

FG % - Hawks made 46.7% of their shots, but opponents made 47%. Iowa is 0-9 when shooting less than 46%. Obviously 9-3 when shooting above 46%.

Rebounds - Iowa has been outrebounded by 80, including 35 in the two games against PU. Hawks are 5-3 when matching or winning the RB total.

Other - Opponents had 22 more assists and 9 more blocks. Iowa had more steals (2) and fewer turnovers (8).

It's no surprise that when you give up 47% shooting, 123 more 3's and 80 more rebounds the record is not going to be good. They have to shoot close to 50% or better to have a chance to win. Iowa must win 4 in a row to finish .500 against quality opponents.

Doesn't look like a tournament team to me.

😒

The assist numbers stand out to me. Kind of means we don't have a good point guard. Perkins has other good/great attributes but is not a ball distributor. That probably means a lower 3pg % also. And I think some other players try to drive rather than pass to a good shooter (Payton or Dix) on the edge, again lowering 3pt%.

The assist numbers stand out to me. Kind of means we don't have a good point guard. Perkins has other good/great attributes but is not a ball distributor. That probably means a lower 3pg % also. And I think some other players try to drive rather than pass to a good shooter (Payton or Dix) on the edge, again lowering 3pt%.
Perkins is being forced to play out of position due to Fran's continual inability to bring in and keep quality PGs. Actually enough quality, athletically capable guards for B1G and upper tier NCAA level of play. Tony P. is a good guard, a good 2 guard.

As for the OPs fact finding, none of that is in the least surprising. The shortened version is they play bad defense and rebound poorly.

Perkins is being forced to play out of position due to Fran's continual inability to bring in and keep quality PGs. Actually enough quality, athletically capable guards for B1G and upper tier NCAA level of play. Tony P. is a good guard, a good 2 guard.

As for the OPs fact finding, none of that is in the least surprising. The shortened version is they play bad defense and rebound poorly.
Perkins is playing very well at the point, averaging nearly 5 assists a game and a better than 2:1 assist turnover ratio. I’m not sure what more people want from him. He routinely drives and makes tough baskets when we need them. I think him and Dix are both great combo guards and are the strength of the team.

Perkins is playing very well at the point, averaging nearly 5 assists a game and a better than 2:1 assist turnover ratio. I’m not sure what more people want from him. He routinely drives and makes tough baskets when we need them. I think him and Dix are both great combo guards and are the strength of the team.
I agree. This is the best guard tandem Fran has had.

Agree with all of your comments.

Just because you say a guy is the PG does not make him a PG. A PG's job is player management on the floor, game management (when to speed up, when to slow down), ball distribution, on ball defense, and finally scoring.

Iowa only has one player that even resembles a true PG and he spends his time on the bench with 5/6 minutes a game. McCaffery does not seem to have a clue what a true PG brings to the game.

Last edited:
Dix and Perkins are probalby the best guard combo Fran has had. Unfortunately Perkins is below average 3pt shooter and Dix has good percentage, but is low volume 3pt shooter. That leaves opponents to concentrate on only Payton Sandfort from 3pt line.

Rebounding iand defense are other issues...it was mentioned we've improved to Top50 for past month in adjusted defense...that would seem to be the minimum defence level if you want to make noises in NCAA tourney.

The last loss vs Illinios kind of illustrates the team shortcomings. Not getting a high percentage of defensive rebounds, so unable to get stops. Big deficit in points from 3pt line. Then our weakness in defense at the PF position....Krikke tried to guard Coleman Hawkins...Coleman was 4/5 on Krikke...then Sandfort guarded him and there was some zone and Hawkins ended up 9/11 and 30pts....he's really not that good, normally 13ppg game.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Iowa's non-con sos is currently at 95. Not terrible considering some teams solidly in are in the 200-300 range. We need to win the next 3, and at least a couple in the B1G tournament to be anywhere near in.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mohawkeye
Iowa's non-con sos is currently at 95. Not terrible considering some teams solidly in are in the 200-300 range. We need to pick one up @NW and beat Penn State. Then a win against Illinois, or a run in the B1G tournament sb enough to be back firmly on the bubble at least. That would be 4 quad 1 wins if we pickup NW (3 if Minny drops off).. some teams "in" have around that or less.
Firmly on a bubble made me giggle.

I took the season stats and removed the noncon cupcakes. That left 21 "good" teams - the Hawks are 9-12 against them.

FG's - Iowa has 1 more FG than their opponents in these games, but 41 fewer 3's. That's 123 points to overcome.

FG % - Hawks made 46.7% of their shots, but opponents made 47%. Iowa is 0-9 when shooting less than 46%. Obviously 9-3 when shooting above 46%.

Rebounds - Iowa has been outrebounded by 80, including 35 in the two games against PU. Hawks are 5-3 when matching or winning the RB total.

Other - Opponents had 22 more assists and 9 more blocks. Iowa had more steals (2) and fewer turnovers (8).

It's no surprise that when you give up 47% shooting, 123 more 3's and 80 more rebounds the record is not going to be good. They have to shoot close to 50% or better to have a chance to win. Iowa must win 4 in a row to finish .500 against quality opponents.

😒
Or you could have just gone to the Big Ten site and selected conference games only and gotten a good deal of this information with none of the effort minus a few non-con games that everyone knows were going to put Iowa in a negative light.

Or you could have just gone to the Big Ten site and selected conference games only and gotten a good deal of this information with none of the effort minus a few non-con games that everyone knows were going to put Iowa in a negative light.
Yeah. But, I'm retired. I've got time!

;)

It's a shame Dasante Bowen didn't work out (at least for this year). Sheesh he really doesn't even play anymore. It wouldn't surprise me to see him leave in the off season.

The three point disparity surprised me, although I suppose it shouldn't have. Seems as though every team fattens up their three point per centage against us.
It doesn't have all that much to do with what the opponents are shooting and it shouldn't surprise too much, especially in conference. Freeman, Krikke and Perkins, representing 60% of Iowa's starting lineup in conference play, have made a grand total of 14 3 pointers during conference play. Freeman has zero and Krikke has 3. Iowa hasn't had a starting lineup consisting of 2 players who shoot almost no 3's in a long while. In addition to not shooting very many, the team is filled with poor 3 point shooters. With the exception of Sandfort (36.6%) and Dix (39.5%), no one on the team is shooting 30% from 3.

Perkins is doing a good job as to what's being asked of him. He's the team MVP and making a case for a 2nd team All B1G spot.
He is not a primary point guard. He would be more free to slash and score from the 2 spot without the added burden of having to run the offense and keep the flow going.
A much better lineup would involve a true PG, Perkins at the 2 and Dix at the 3. Harding could be that guy if he added some muscle and could fix his shot. That's not happening this year.

😒
In other words: we suck ass.

I checked - TP has 4.2 assist pg and assist to turnover is around 2.3. I check the net and they say 2:1 is good for high school and 3:1 is very good for college. Take it for what it is worth....

😒
The body of work would suggest they aren’t a tourney team. Their play as of late shows they are.

I checked - TP has 4.2 assist pg and assist to turnover is around 2.3. I check the net and they say 2:1 is good for high school and 3:1 is very good for college. Take it for what it is worth....
you can pass around the perimeter all day and not turn the ball over and get some assists but it doesn't make you a pg or a good ball handler under pressure.

Not sure there is a way but: what does Iowa's assist totals look like in the last 4 minutes of a game? That would be a very telling stat.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
Love TP, and it would be absolutely fabulous if he came back next year.

I love his leadership and willingness to make a play when the Hawks really need a bucket. But, it looks like he is doing too much at times, taking it to the bucket when there is no way to get there. Then the other guys stand around,

To win, the Hawks need good shots on almost every possession. Perk needs to make sure he is getting everyone involved. That's a big part of being a PG.

To win, the Hawks need good shots on almost every possession
This is how the Hawks win under Fran. It's really cool when it works but if we go multiple possessions without a basket, we really struggle. Love Perkins, hope he comes back, don't want him going to college somewhere else but if he goes pro, I get it

The three point disparity surprised me, although I suppose it shouldn't have. Seems as though every team fattens up their three point per centage against us.
21% bonus to shooting ability any time someone plays Iowa.

So if your shooting ability is 79% coming in, well then we're f***ed.

😒
Iowa has taken only 522 3pt attempts this year, compared to 779 last year and 912 the year before.

Iowa has taken only 522 3pt attempts this year, compared to 779 last year and 912 the year before.
That actually is surprising. I thought this team would shoot more 3's, not less.

Note: The 912 3's two years ago includes that wonderful 6/29 showing against Richmond. They attempted 20 or more 3's that year in 30 games. This year only 11 games.

That’s got to be a low for a Fran team. Interesting. I’d also say this is probably his worst rebounding team in a long time. How the hell are we winning games?

The game has changed and Iowa doesn't have enough 3 point versatility, especially at PG and center.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT