ADVERTISEMENT

Nunge is playing really well

Luka struggled shooting the 3 for a while as well. While Jack will never get to Luka’s level of current accuracy, I can certainly see him shooting right around 35% on 3’s when all is said and done.

Really love Nunge's game. His length is huge on defense. Very nice inside game.

I have no problem with him shooting 3s. If he starts consistently hitting them he could seriously be our #2 option on offense next year. Big men who can hit 3s just wreck opponents' defensive gameplans.

What if... Luka came back?

Seriously though, we will be smaller but have some guys capable of playing big. I love next years team but we can all worry about that in May.

Depending on how minutes are distributed we could actually be longer and for sure more athletic. Keegan leads the team on a per 40 basis in blocked shots and is number 2 in rebounds. Nunge leads the team on a per 40 basis in rebounds and is right behind Garza in blocks. If the minutes for these 2 expand along with 6'9" PMac, Iowa is very long in the frontcourt compared to our current starting 5. Where we might run into trouble is depth behind Nunge at the 5 but there is still length on the bench with Kris Murray and Josh O. at 6'8" and 6'10" respectively if/when needed.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Depending on how minutes are distributed we could actually be longer and for sure more athletic. Keegan leads the team on a per 40 basis in blocked shots and is number 2 in rebounds. Nunge leads the team on a per 40 basis in rebounds and is right behind Garza in blocks. If the minutes for these 2 expand along with 6'9" PMac, Iowa is very long in the frontcourt compared to our current starting 5. Where we might run into trouble is depth behind Nunge at the 5 but there is still length on the bench with Kris Murray and Josh O. at 6'8" and 6'10" respectively if/when needed.

I think this is where we are all banking on a grad transfer. I am hoping Josh O can be ready to play next year but we will see.

Nunge has the physical tools to be really good. His length makes him almost un-guardable when he catches it in position and he is getting more confident with each game. He is starting to trust his abilities which results in quicker decisions. I agree with others that I would like to see him establish himself more in the post but when on the floor with Garza that isn't practical. I don't love him shooting 3's and would prefer he stick to the mid-range game and closer, but Fran must see enough in practice to encourage him to shoot it from 3.

When they're on the floor together Jack should be in the paint IMO.

Luka is a much better shooter and decision maker with the ball and will be occupying the bigger defender.

Jack can get deep position on a smaller defender.

We can knock Nunge’s shooting, but he’s 3/6 in the five games since the Minnesota Christmas game from beyond the arc. Guy has done a much better job of picking his shots within the flow of the offense versus just firing every time he’s open. Hope he keeps it up, and I am highly confident that he’ll be a 38%+ shooter from three his last year at Iowa

Hey Chet Holmngren still is listed as undecided. Maybe he might see Iowa yet as a good landing spot. He’s thin 7’0”, 190 but really skilled. He’d fit in good anywhere but what if the Hawkeyes go to a Final 4 with Luka graduating . Just dreaming I know I know!

Reactions: perryhawk
I saw some H.S. footage of Josh. I didn't see any outside shooting prowess but he's pretty athletic and a real banger inside with some good passing skills. I think he might surprise some people next year.

Which, in my opinion, is totally fine. I know that Fran likes the new era of bigs that have to shoot but if we have 4 scorers on the floor, we will be okay. If he can do the dirty work, be a monster on the glass, finish around the paint and contest shots- he will be fine.

Hey Chet Holmngren still is listed as undecided. Maybe he might see Iowa yet as a good landing spot. He’s thin 7’0”, 190 but really skilled. He’d fit in good anywhere but what if the Hawkeyes go to a Final 4 with Luka graduating . Just dreaming I know I know!

Yes, I'm sure he's a real long shot but, he may have been thinking of going a long ways from home and now having second thoughts about it......and Iowa could pick up some momentum? I will continue to hope until he chooses somewhere else.

If you were to add his length to a front line with any combination of Patrick, Keegan, Kris, Jack, and Payton that would make for a killer zone....

Jack has gotten better, but think he should pass on the 3 for a bit...6/29 for the yr...20.7%.....these turn into wasted positions.

Reactions: blackandgoldPT
It seems to me that he’s playing with a different attitude or approach....he’s just more aggressive all the way around. He doesn’t seem to be bothered by a missed shot or a turnover. I really like what I’m seeing.

Reactions: hawk-i bob
Amazing how many good big men there are in the Big this year. A lot of years Nunge would have been a starting center for Fran. I think he’s playing great, he just needs to work on his hand strength and rebounding consistency. He‘s a better defender and shot blocker than Garza and I think next year he puts up big numbers without Garza around.

Nunge is better than Woodbury who was 4 year significant minutes guy

I agree The B1G has had good bigs for past couple years or more. Last year Maryland and Minnesota had guys that went to NBA and I thought OSU graduated a center that was pretty good.

Haarms was not dog crap and he transferred out and then Painter found another giant.

I really appreciate his effort
But as of now he is nothing but a B+ backup Center
Not that there’s anything wrong with that
Well he’s a B+ backup to the Player of the Year so that’s probably starter level player on a lot of other teams..... and projects REALLY well for next year (assuming he doesn’t have to spend the year rehabbing a serious injury). Assuming he stays healthy, doesn’t have to deal with anymore personal tragedy, and can really work on his game and in the weight room....very positive outlook when combined with the confidence he is developing this year.

Nunge is better than Woodbury who was 4 year significant minutes guy

I agree The B1G has had good bigs for past couple years or more. Last year Maryland and Minnesota had guys that went to NBA and I thought OSU graduated a center that was pretty good.

Haarms was not dog crap and he transferred out and then Painter found another giant.

Woodberry had better hands
Certainly better fingers 😉

Well he’s a B+ backup to the Player of the Year so that’s probably starter level player on a lot of other teams..... and projects REALLY well for next year (assuming he doesn’t have to spend the year rehabbing a serious injury). Assuming he stays healthy, doesn’t have to deal with anymore personal tragedy, and can really work on his game and in the weight room....very positive outlook when combined with the confidence he is developing this year.
I agree 100%. Nunge is a good player I am certainly proud that he plays for the Hawkeyes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT