ADVERTISEMENT

Nunge is playing really well

perryhawk

HR Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Perry, Iowa
Jack Nunge has looked really good. He comes off of the bench and plays good defense, rebounds, scores, and plays good team basketball. Hopefully, by now, those who doubted him can see that he has a lot of ability....that he isn't a wasted scholarship. Fran has done a great job of bringing this young man along. With the confidence that he has to be building with his current level of play and then another year in the weight room........I think that he will be pretty good next year. That said, there are a lot of good big men around this conference.

Keegan was extremely impressive again today.....can't wait to see his brother on the floor with more minutes next year.

Patrick looked really good again today. Offensively and defensively. I just love it when these two long, athletic, and tall young forwards are out there together. They are very dynamic....when you add Nunge to that fron line we can see the defensive capabilities that next years lineup has.....next years roster should be able to play effective man to man and wow, if we could play the zone the way that Syracuse does.....we have a great lineup for that zone next year.

Perkins, Ulis.........life is good. Tony looked like a guard today to me, not a short wing player.

Jack Nunge has looked really good. He comes off of the bench and plays good defense, rebounds, scores, and plays good team basketball. Hopefully, by now, those who doubted him can see that he has a lot of ability....that he isn't a wasted scholarship. Fran has done a great job of bringing this young man along. With the confidence that he has to be building with his current level of play and then another year in the weight room........I think that he will be pretty good next year. That said, there are a lot of good big men around this conference.

Keegan was extremely impressive again today.....can't wait to see his brother on the floor with more minutes next year.

Patrick looked really good again today. Offensively and defensively. I just love it when these two long, athletic, and tall young forwards are out there together. They are very dynamic....when you add Nunge to that fron line we can see the defensive capabilities that next years lineup has.....next years roster should be able to play effective man to man and wow, if we could play the zone the way that Syracuse does.....we have a great lineup for that zone next year.

Perkins, Ulis.........life is good. Tony looked like a guard today to me, not a short wing player.
Little concerned about Nunge getting pushed around in the paint from the "monsters" in the Conference moving forward, but he's been real solid overall.

The future has some momentum.

Little concerned about Nunge getting pushed around in the paint from the "monsters" in the Conference moving forward, but he's been real solid overall.

The future has some momentum.
Some of the "Monsters" will be gone. Not sure about Robbins, but you'd have to think the Cockburn will not be back again at Illinois. I think the Jury is still out on Dickenson at Michigan. He looked lost Saturday against Minny and Howard had to pull him off the floor. A lot of his success this season has been against teams that didn't have anyone who could match up with him. I'll be very interested to see how he holds up against Luka....

Where’s deplorable to tell about a rebound he didn’t hold onto or his weak hands? He’s a skilled player. Certainly needs to be tougher and guessing that we will see that next year as he will be our starter. Having a really good season.

What if... Luka came back?

Seriously though, we will be smaller but have some guys capable of playing big. I love next years team but we can all worry about that in May.

Who thinks he was a wasted scholarship?! There are a lot of loons out there so maybe I missed it. I do wish he would hold back on some of his 3's. Otherwise dude is a stud!

Too much was made by some posters about Nunge to STOP SHOOTING 3 POINTERS. He had a couple games where he couldn’t throw it in the ocean. Throw out those 2 games and he’s shooting 35% on 3s for the season. I’m looking pretty good with the wager I made with a friend. I was tired of him yelling at Nunge to stop shooting the 3. After the game at Minny I said he will shoot closer to 35% the rest of the season than the 18% he was shooting at the time. He told me to put my money where my mouth is. He’s 3-6 since so looking good so far. I’ll extend this wager to anyone who wants to jump in.

I hoped he would at least pick up where Kriener left off, and he’s done just that. Avg about same points and a could more boards actually.

Hoping he really takes off next year with a healthy offseason to train and work on his game.

Too much was made by some posters about Nunge to STOP SHOOTING 3 POINTERS. He had a couple games where he couldn’t throw it in the ocean. Throw out those 2 games and he’s shooting 35% on 3s for the season. I’m looking pretty good with the wager I made with a friend. I was tired of him yelling at Nunge to stop shooting the 3. After the game at Minny I said he will shoot closer to 35% the rest of the season than the 18% he was shooting at the time. He told me to put my money where my mouth is. He’s 3-6 since so looking good so far. I’ll extend this wager to anyone who wants to jump in.

He def has the green light. Shoot son, but if it's in a tight game how bout pump fake, pass it inside to Luka or pass to Joe, CJ or Jordan for the boys that usually make it. I guess Luka could be included for the perimeter shooters.

Some of the "Monsters" will be gone. Not sure about Robbins, but you'd have to think the Cockburn will not be back again at Illinois. I think the Jury is still out on Dickenson at Michigan. He looked lost Saturday against Minny and Howard had to pull him off the floor. A lot of his success this season has been against teams that didn't have anyone who could match up with him. I'll be very interested to see how he holds up against Luka....
I like Dickinson but Luka is going to show him what it means to be in shape.

He def has the green light. Shoot son, but if it's in a tight game how bout pump fake, pass it inside to Luka or pass to Joe, CJ or Jordan for the boys that usually make it. I guess Luka could be included for the perimeter shooters.

His passing has been excellent. Assists per 40 min best of the bigs and right up there with the guards.

I agree he has a light green light. He's 5th to 8th best option shooting 3s depending on how he improves this season. This game vs NW, he shot the 3 after he had already seen the ball go down on an inside post shot. That is in flow of the game--no problem.

I saw stat that JBo, Garza, JoeW, and Fredrick are collectively shooting 45% from the 3pt line....those are the guys that should be shooting the bulk of the teams 3pt shots. A guy shooting 20% and a career 30% needs to be more selective.

I don't recall anyone saying Nunge was a wasted scholly. That is just posters with their own agenda complaining about others complaining. Nunge's rebounding and shot blocking is really good and when he's playing the team 2pt defense goes up. I .saw another stat about Nunge being a +110 points when he is on the court. Nunge is critical because we need a backup to Garza and the Freshman center Fran recruited is not ready to play.

We don't seem to lose much at all when the second unit comes on the floor, especially on the defensive end. Nunge, Keegan, Patrick and JoeT would start for a lot of teams, and we get to watch them for 2 or 3 more years. Perkins and Ulis also can play.

We will definitely miss Luka next year. You really can't replace what he has been doing for the past two years. JBo has been tremendous the past few games, but our depth at guard is by far the best since Dr. Tom's first team. I think there is some chance that Weesy will leave, but selfishly, I hope he stays. Two more years of CJ and another for Connor. The only real weakness next year might be lack of depth at the 5, unless Big O develops fast. Fran seems to have the team in a really good place.

I agree he has a light green light. He's 5th to 8th best option shooting 3s depending on how he improves this season. This game vs NW, he shot the 3 after he had already seen the ball go down on an inside post shot. That is in flow of the game--no problem.

I saw stat that JBo, Garza, JoeW, and Fredrick are collectively shooting 45% from the 3pt line....those are the guys that should be shooting the bulk of the teams 3pt shots. A guy shooting 20% and a career 30% needs to be more selective.

I don't recall anyone saying Nunge was a wasted scholly. That is just posters with their own agenda complaining about others complaining. Nunge's rebounding and shot blocking is really good and when he's playing the team 2pt defense goes up. I .saw another stat about Nunge being a +110 points when he is on the court. Nunge is critical because we need a backup to Garza and the Freshman center Fran recruited is not ready to play.

I think 8th best option to shoot the 3 is a bit extreme. Jordan Bohanon is the only one on the team with a higher 3 point % in 2021. I know, I know I’m joking around but I don’t think we’ve seen the best yet in Nunge’s shooting potential.

Hopefully the new coach you guys recruit for us will be able to get next years team play better and win more games. Isn't Fran on his way out? :mad: Just kidding again.

Reactions: hawkeyeinmo

Nunge played well today. Only one really dumb strip and one terrible shot. He did clog the lane defensively and scratched out some points efficiently. Strangely no rebounds but it did not see a lot boards come off in his direction. Definite improvement shown today.

I like the kid- has had some rough stretches followed by some really good ones. Obviously what happened with his dad isn't going to help anyone's season so he gets a pass from me for this year. Also some people are better coming off the bench and some are better starters. I feel he is a better starter type player where he has to get in the flow of the game more to be affective.

I don't think predicting Nunge to end up the 5th to 8th best 3pt shooting option on the
team is a stretch. Nunge's best 3pt shooting year 2017-18 was 33%.

current 3 ball shooting percentages
Jbo 40.6
fredrick 51.0
Garza 47.9
joeW 42.1
keegan 42.1
pmac 32
Cmac 26.9
JoeT 25
Nunge 23.1

He played very well yesterday, but who didn't? I'm happy with his rebounding and feel like he'll be a solid starter for us. A star? Probably not.

I don't think predicting Nunge to end up the 5th to 8th best 3pt shooting option on the

Jbo 40.6
fredrick 51.0
Garza 47.9
joeW 42.1
keegan 42.1
pmac 32
Cmac 26.9
JoeT 25
Nunge 23.1

Okay if THAT is the way you want to look at it. Personally I would rather Nunge shoot a wide open 3 than Joe ,Connor, or probably even Patrick. (not meant to be a knock on any of those guys). You can’t look at Illinois for instance and say Giorgie B (however it’s spelled) is their 2nd best option for shooting the 3 because he’s at 50% for the season. At this point I think Nunge is a better shooter than his stats would say. I recall watching Jon Diebler the all time leader in B1G 3 pointers shoot under 30% from 3 as a freshman. But I bet there players on that team that shot a higher % but not considered a better “option”

I really appreciate his effort
But as of now he is nothing but a B+ backup Center
Not that there’s anything wrong with that

Agreed. I think the “argument” pretty much comes from a thread before the season titled “Can Nunge replace Kriener production” . There were a # of posters quite critical of Nunge. I recall one of the posters in this thread (no need to name him) saying the team got DRASTICALLY better after Nunge was hurt last year and Kriener was a better rebounder, shot blocker, passer, shooter, and was tougher. And went on to say the only reason Nunge blocked so many shots as a freshmen was blocking them from behind after he was beaten. I think Nunge has done an admirable job coming off the bench and the combination of Nunge and Murray (a VERY pleasant surprise) far surpass what Ryan provided (not meant to be a knock on Ryan).

Nunge has gotten better as the season has progressed. One area where I hope he continues to improve is hand strength or protecting the ball better. It seems he gets stripped of the ball at least once a game.

Where’s deplorable to tell about a rebound he didn’t hold onto or his weak hands? He’s a skilled player. Certainly needs to be tougher and guessing that we will see that next year as he will be our starter. Having a really good season.

You called it. Bit of a backhanded compliment.

Reactions: littlez
The King of backhanded compliments. Like how Nunge “clogged the lane.” Lol.

Jbo 40.6
fredrick 51.0
Garza 47.9
joeW 42.1
keegan 42.1
pmac 32
Cmac 26.9
JoeT 25
Nunge 23.1

There can't be another team in a major conference that has 5 guys shooting above %40 from 3.

Amazing how many good big men there are in the Big this year. A lot of years Nunge would have been a starting center for Fran. I think he’s playing great, he just needs to work on his hand strength and rebounding consistency. He‘s a better defender and shot blocker than Garza and I think next year he puts up big numbers without Garza around.

Reactions: perryhawk
Well it won't be 5th, that's Jordan at 40.6%. Right now every other regular player and Austin Ash has a better three point shot than Jack. If I were to bet on who would raise their bad shooting faster, Joey T at 25 or Jack at 23.1%, I'd place my money on the guard. Jack's three ball is simply a dog that won't hunt. Jack needs to work on his low post offense. That's the spot where he can best help the team.

Nunge has the physical tools to be really good. His length makes him almost un-guardable when he catches it in position and he is getting more confident with each game. He is starting to trust his abilities which results in quicker decisions. I agree with others that I would like to see him establish himself more in the post but when on the floor with Garza that isn't practical. I don't love him shooting 3's and would prefer he stick to the mid-range game and closer, but Fran must see enough in practice to encourage him to shoot it from 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT