ADVERTISEMENT

NYC hospital ‘Karen’ denies trying to steal CitiBike from young black man

Chuck C

HR Legend
Mar 6, 2011
A hospital worker was accused of trying to steal an e bike from a black man in a viral video (in link). The hospital placed the nurse on leave after seeing the video.

Social media users were quick to chastise the NYC hospital employee, nicknaming her “Karen,” and questioning whether her alleged actions on the street reflect how she treats black patients.

One person chimed in, “This Karen needs to be locked up!”

Others noted that — if the man’s version of the story was true — similar situations in the past have placed black people in danger.

“She is deplorable. What she did is an act of violence and she should suffer consequences. Like this really pissed me off because we get killed over s–t like this.”

Some compared the woman to Amy Cooper, also known as “Central Park Karen,” who called the police on a black birdwatcher in 2020 and lost her job and a lawsuit over the incident.

Why does either person’s race matter? Would the NY Post say “black woman” and “white man” had the lady in this story been black and the man white? My media keeps doing this to me. It keeps pointing out race when a black person is a victim of some alleged wrong doing by a white person, but it rarely if ever points it out if it’s the opposite. I’m just so confused by what reasons my media might have for this sort of tactic. Surely it’s not to divide us, because I just know my media wants us all to get along and achieve peace… at least that’s what they say. Just so confused.

Why does either person’s race matter? Would the NY Post say “black woman” and “white man” had the lady in this story been black and the man white? My media keeps doing this to me. It keeps pointing out race when a black person is a victim of some alleged wrong doing by a white person, but it rarely if ever points it out if it’s the opposite. I’m just so confused by what reasons my media might have for this sort of tactic. Surely it’s not to divide us, because I just know my media wants us all to get along and achieve peace… at least that’s what they say. Just so confused.
Looks to me that the guys were looking to make a viral video and they succeeded. The egged this lady on fully knowing the black/white dynamic would get it clicks....and it looks like it was a BS narrative.

If the bike was docked, it doesn't belong to anyone - at least that's my understanding. The woman's story is she checked it out, the group came up, pushed it back in, and then claimed it was his. The record from her attorney seems to corroborate her story with a bike being checked out and then back in in less than a minute. If she thought her payment was still valid (I have no idea), she was fully justified in trying to keep that bike. The biggest ?? is her weird reaction.

My work is done.

To answer your second question, yes, the NYT would have said "black woman" and "white man" had the situation been reversed. In fact, a white man in conflict with a black woman would have been a much bigger story because the black woman ranks a lot higher on the o-press-o-meter. "Pushy Karen" gets clicks, but "Angry White Male" gets network airtime. As long as the conflict is between people of different races, the NYT will always promote it and paint the "more oppressed" person as the victim, regardless of the actual facts.

Reactions: SIXERS24
If the bike was docked, it doesn't belong to anyone - at least that's my understanding. The woman's story is she checked it out, the group came up, pushed it back in, and then claimed it was his. The record from her attorney seems to corroborate her story with a bike being checked out and then back in in less than a minute. If she thought her payment was still valid (I have no idea), she was fully justified in trying to keep that bike. The biggest ?? is her weird reaction.
What’s weird about her reaction? She’s 6 months pregnant and just completed a 12-hour shift at the hospital. She’s probably exhausted and just wants to go home. But she can’t because five guys are physically restraining her from taking the bike that she just paid for while recording her with their phones.

Is there a blueprint for how one is supposed to act properly in that situation?

her reaction and nothing about the boys? that's weird.

Reactions: ICHerky
What’s weird about her reaction? She’s 6 months pregnant and just completed a 12-hour shift at the hospital. She’s probably exhausted and just wants to go home. But she can’t because five guys are physically restraining her from taking the bike that she just paid for while recording her with their phones.

This. The guys were looking to make a viral video and targeted her is my take.

Unfortunately they succeeded.

Reactions: TJ8869

Seriously? She says with flat affect "help me...somebody help me". Then she seems to cry...but then she's not crying. It almost looks like she's in on a performance piece but her acting sucks. It's the same kind of thing that had people questioning Lindy Chamberlain-Creighton. Yes - she was telling the truth but the strange nature of her reaction to her child being taken by a dingo and likely eaten elicited a response for better or worse.

And FTR, there are not "five guys physically restraining her". Near as I can tell, no one lays a hand on her but you can correct me if I'm wrong. There's one guy sitting on the bike who refuses to get off. It appears she has a case and she might be in the right - I'm certainly leaning that way - but it's hard to tell because of the way she acts.

And FTR, there are not "five guys physically restraining her". Near as I can tell, no one lays a hand on her but you can correct me if I'm wrong.
You only read half of the sentence. I didn’t say they were physically restraining her. I said they were physically restraining her from taking the bike. She had just removed the bike from the docking station and two of the guys grabbed the bike and forcibly put it back into the dock.

Seriously? She says with flat affect "help me...somebody help me". Then she seems to cry...but then she's not crying. It almost looks like she's in on a performance piece but her acting sucks. It's the same kind of thing that had people questioning Lindy Chamberlain-Creighton. Yes - she was telling the truth but the strange nature of her reaction to her child being taken by a dingo and likely eaten elicited a response for better or worse.

And FTR, there are not "five guys physically restraining her". Near as I can tell, no one lays a hand on her but you can correct me if I'm wrong. There's one guy sitting on the bike who refuses to get off. It appears she has a case and she might be in the right - I'm certainly leaning that way - but it's hard to tell because of the way she acts.
Dude...a six months pregnant woman is surrounded by 5 guys blocking her from accessing the bike she paid for....her reaction is understandable.

Change the 5 black dudes for 5 white maga hat wearing guys and change her race to black and we have another viral video,.

Peoples biases obviously effected their reaction to the initial video.

You only read half of the sentence. I didn’t say they were physically restraining her. I said they were physically restraining her from taking the bike. She had just removed the bike from the docking station and two of the guys grabbed the bike and forcibly put it back into the dock.
LOL...and off we go. There is ONE GUY with hands on the bike. No one else is "physically" doing a damn thing. As for the rest, do you have additional video or evidence to make that statement as fact?

Victim blaming?

LOL...and off we go. There is ONE GUY with hands on the bike. No one else is "physically" doing a damn thing. As for the rest, do you have additional video or evidence to make that statement as fact?
Dude...the video zero's in on her...we don't see what any of the other guys are doing.

If you can't see that these guys were setting up a "karen" for a video I don't know what to tell you.

We see stories of over worked nurses and nursing shortages. This woman gets off her shift and just wants to go the F home. These guys interfere with her doing that obviously looking to create a confrontation.

Check your own biases on the subject...this was BS period.

Dude...a six months pregnant woman is surrounded by 5 guys blocking her from accessing the bike she paid for....her reaction is understandable.

Change the 5 black dudes for 5 white maga hat wearing guys and change her race to black and we have another viral video,.

Peoples biases obviously effected their reaction to the initial video.
I'm on her side based on what's known. But her reaction is not "understandable" - it's odd. She's literally breaking down in tears, steps off the bike, and is immediately shrugging with no indication of being upset.

Dude...the video zero's in on her...we don't see what any of the other guys are doing.

If you can't see that these guys were setting up a "karen" for a video I don't know what to tell you.

We see stories of over worked nurses and nursing shortages. This woman gets off her shift and just wants to go the F home. These guys interfere with her doing that obviously looking to create a confrontation.

Check your own biases on the subject...this was BS period.
LOL...I'll say this clearly since the nuance has escaped you. I THINK SHE'S TELLING THE TRUTH. It would appear your own biases need checking.

• Haha
Reactions: binsfeldcyhawk2
Wtf, she was doxxed and placed on leave for this? Admittedly a strange reaction, but I've witnessed a tired, pregnant nurse fart half the alphabet, so who am I to judge. Hope she keeps her job and doesn't have to go through sensitively training or some shit.
Assuming her story checks out, I'm hoping there's some legal action that could be taken against at least the guy who was holding onto the bike.

I'm on her side based on what's known. But her reaction is not "understandable" - it's odd. She's literally breaking down in tears, steps off the bike, and is immediately shrugging with no indication of being upset.
Crazy that a six month pregnant woman is overly emotional :rolleyes:

Have you ever been around pregnant women?

Looks to me that the guys were looking to make a viral video and they succeeded. The egged this lady on fully knowing the black/white dynamic would get it clicks....and it looks like it was a BS narrative.
Exactly. It's the culture we live in. I tell a woman to slow the frack down (doing 40+ in an active school zone) and get yelled at, "Shut the F*%#! up, you white piece of $hit!" Why in the hell does the color of my skin matter when you're blowing through a cross walk with kids in it?

Race should only matter when it's relevant to the story. @markfromj pounds this drum daily and is right more often than not.

But her reaction is not "understandable" - it's odd.
Nope, not at all.

I can see my daughter, who is extremely intelligent and strong minded react the same way.

Put yourself in the young female's shoes. Surrounded by STRANGERS, one physically touching her, video recording everything. She was overwhelmed, not hard to understand.

C'mon dude.

Exactly. It's the culture we live in. I tell a woman to slow the frack down (doing 40+ in an active school zone) and get yelled at, "Shut the F*%#! up, you white piece of $hit!" Why in the hell does the color of my skin matter when you're blowing through a cross walk with kids in it?

Race should only matter when it's relevant to the story. @markfromj pounds this drum daily and is right more often than not.
We've put race front and center in our society and it isn't healthy.

The only reason this video gained purchase was because it was black/white....that's it. Turns out it was total bullshit but it went viral anyway...it's where we're at.

Nope, not at all.

I can see my daughter, who is extremely intelligent and strong minded react the same way.

Put yourself in the young female's shoes. Surrounded by STRANGERS, one physically touching her, video recording everything. She was overwhelmed, not hard to understand.

C'mon dude.
The only reason folks are pointing the finger at her is because she's white...that's it.

If this was a black women surrounded by 5 white dudes in the same exact scenario the white dudes would be the villains.

Unfortunately we don't have folks that can take a step back and see this for what it is. An attempt to provoke something and create a viral video feeding on the race narrative...

Sad state of affairs.

We've put race front and center in our society and it isn't healthy.

The only reason this video gained purchase was because it was black/white....that's it. Turns out it was total bullshit but it went viral anyway...it's where we're at.
People who pull this crap need to be held accountable. It undermines people/situations where race is actually a factor. It's not different than women claiming rape when it never occured. IMO Wanetta Gibson should be rotting in a prison cell for what she did to Brian Banks. Chloe Dykstra tried doing the same thing to Chris Hardwick.

Reactions: Chuck C
People who pull this crap need to be held accountable. It undermines people/situations where race is actually a factor. It's not different than women claiming rape when it never occured. IMO Wanetta Gibson should be rotting in a prison cell for what she did to Brian Banks. Chloe Dykstra tried doing the same thing to Chris Hardwick.

They won't be held accountable. These guys won't be "doxed", they won't become pariahs...we'll never know their names. It's crazy town...

A six month pregnant women is surrounded by 5 men trying to take the bike she paid for and she's the villain....because of the race of the participants.

Ridiculous times we live in...

They won't be held accountable. These guys won't be "doxed", they won't become pariahs...we'll never know their names. It's crazy town...

A six month pregnant women is surrounded by 5 men trying to take the bike she paid for and she's the villain....because of the race of the participants.

Ridiculous times we live in...
I think this is my biggest gripe with the left, they've treated Black Americans as a homogenous group treating all of them as victims. The right, doing what they do best, just tried doing the opposite--nothing to see here folks, racism is dead...doesn't exist.

The reality is, though, it does exist, BUT it isn't the case in every.single.black/white interaction. I'm so sick of the "had he been black" narrative. As I've said 100x on here before, white people aren't racists; racists are racists.

Do you have kids? Did your wife's emotions run not "understandable" when she was pregnant?

Reactions: HawkeyeShawn
NYC Health + Hospitals called the video “disturbing” when announcing she was placed on leave Tuesday. The hospital system said she would remain on leave pending a review of the incident.

Sure was. But not for the reasons they were hoping for. Even more disturbing is how badly doxxed she was for nothing other than race when it appears it was the other way around. Wonder how many of those people dragging her name through the mud are apologizing now. Probably none of them. pathetic.

op. You should have left the second article out of this for an hour or two so we could have watched this thread blow up, only to see none of them return when the second article was posted. Those are always fun.

Hopefully, if she was in the right, which appears she was, she sues the shit out of the hospital and the 5 guys trying to steal her bike get equally doxxed. But, we know that won’t likely be the case here. The worst kind of hypocrites.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT