ADVERTISEMENT

NYT: ‘Bro I Robbed Everyone’: 3 N.Y.P.D. Officers Charged in Bribe Scheme

Morrison71

HR Legend
Nov 10, 2006

Two New York Police Department officers and a retired officer were charged Tuesday in federal court with running a yearslong bribery scheme that included kickbacks from a tow truck company and the selling of personal information of recent car crash victims to injury lawyers and physical therapists.

The retired officer, Robert Smith, is also accused of smuggling heroin for an unnamed criminal organization after he left the Police Department in March 2020.

According to court documents, Mr. Smith accepted bribes for years from an unnamed tow truck company and an unnamed conspirator, identified only as “Individual No. 1,” in exchange for enlisting the person’s tow trucks at crash scenes, subverting the department’s system for assigning tow trucks.

----------------------

Investigators obtained text messages in which Mr. Smith said he had engaged in shakedowns and took bribes as a police officer, saying, “Bro I robbed everyone.”

But the allegedly corrupt Smith, in shocking Brooklyn Federal Court documents, was outed as as a racist who feds say delivered heroin, spewed hate-filled rhetoric and randomly pointed his gun at Black passersby just to enjoy the look on their faces.

“Bro I point my gun out the window now at n-----s and watch their reaction and drive way,” the then-retired officer allegedly wrote in a text message cited by federal prosecutors. “Hilarious.”

In one recording, Smith described himself “one of the most corrupt cops in the 105 (Precinct)″ and declared his badge was the only thing sparing him from repeated arrests, according to prosecutors.

“Smith’s unabashedly racist and hate-filled language in his communications included regular references to Black individuals as ‘n-----s’ and numerous references to the Ku Klux Klan,” wrote Ryan Harris, the assistant U.S. Attorney on the case.

Just after his retirement, the ex-cop allegedly wrote, “Now the real Smith will shine. I even shaved my head. Klan.”

-----------------

The police union quickly announced it would not provide legal representation to any of the officers. And NYPD Commissioner Dermot Shea said the department would cooperate with the FBI and federal prosecutors to ensure the rogue cops were prosecuted to the fullest extend of the law.

HilariousMenacingAchillestang-size_restricted.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT