ADVERTISEMENT

Obama won Iowa by ten points. A Reddit poster’s opinion on why the state has swung so far to the right. Thoughts?

3 and 4 are the biggest. 2 is also a major problem - most Democrat candidates that end up on ballots in Iowa are exceedingly weak.
Same in Florida.

Charlie Crist v Desantis?

Rebekah Jones v Gaetz

Two prime examples...

It's like they're not even trying.

Moving would be easier
Parents moved when I was right out of college. I took a job as well out of state. It’s crazy the state I knew with the great public education, high test scores, great newspaper, and was always pretty much 50-50 in voting is now so dumb. Of course there’s a brain drain of young people. DM is nice, lots of good white collar jobs but holy shit what has happened elsewhere?

Parents moved when I was right out of college. I took a job as well out of state. It’s crazy the state I knew with the great public education, high test scores, great newspaper, and was always pretty much 50-50 in voting is now so dumb. Of course there’s a brain drain of young people. DM is nice, lots of good white collar jobs but holy shit what has happened elsewhere?

I go back and forth. Some days I think Iowa is hopeless and that I should just leave as soon as I can. Then other days I remember that I am a 5th generation resident of IC on my moms side and more than 5 generations on my dads side in Bloomfield, Centerville, and Lee County and I think why should I leave my state to worthless people like James Vanderwulf.

This isn't only about the right. Since Obama the left has totally lost their shit,.. totally unrecognizable anymore.

• Haha
Reactions: Tom Paris
Projecting the right on the left again I see. A subtle whataboutism.

Nope,.. Republicans have moved right, but that change doesn't come close to explaining the current divide separating the two parties,.. Dem's have lost their shit, and have become basically unelectable in places like Iowa..

Then explain why Florida is booming and is redder than ever. It looks like they are just looking for excuses for people realizing how terrible the lefts policies are.

Nope,.. the right has moved right, but that change doesn't come close to explaining the current divide separating the two parties,.. Dem's have lost their shit, and have become basically unelectable in places like Iowa..
Lost their shit how? By nominating and electing a moderate president? By passing classic Democratic policies into law? By opposing the dismantling of Roe? By supporting climate legislation? By championing civil rights initiatives?

Be specific.

Lost their shit how? By nominating and electing a moderate president? By passing classic Democratic policies into law? By opposing the dismantling of Roe? By supporting climate legislation? By championing civil rights initiatives?

Be specific.

Biden isn't governing as a moderate. Recent policies passed by this administration are far from Democrat party classics. Opposition to abortion becoming a states rights issue is understandable but needs to be addressed at state level. Climate change legislation that cripples the US economy for a negligible net climate improvement is a pipe dream. Individual civil rights in this country were largely resolved by 1970, and I view the current effort to expand legislation in this area to include sexual orientation and gender as misguided and divisive...

We love LEGAL brown people who can follow the rule of law and simple procedures like applying to immigrate legally. Play your race card little marxist boy...it's really all you have! Curious....how many "brown" women have you slept with? Curious...how many "brown" men have you gone out and gotten commode hugging drunk with?
What a dumb frigging post. Did you text this from your barstool at the tavern?

This isn't only about the right. Since Obama the left has totally lost their shit,.. totally unrecognizable anymore.
Are you whining about the 3 members of the squad again? Yes, 3 vs. an entire party are exactly the same thing. You actually have a moderate in the White House but Fox News won't acknowledge that.

Rough morning bud. 830am and your talking about people killing themselves, me thinks you have some personal issues you are fighting.

And now, the succession of posts immediately following the suggestion another poster might have personal issues…

Don't care. I'm just interested to see the first board dem who is going to grow the balls and tell him to stfu.

If you don't have rational thoughts to be pissed about, just make one up.

You are a piece of shit dude, and it's embarrassing that I have to be the one that consistently calls people out.

If you finding a talking head saying something dumb is enough to get butthurt you are an absolute bitch of a man. We can't go a week without someone saying something repulsive in the media these days.

Now, go say we should kill people based off politics and try to justify why you are better than those you hate. I'll keep laughing at you and pointing out the libs on here that don't have the balls to tell.you to stfu themselves.

I double majored and have a masters degree along with multiple license and certificates.

You are an idiot.

O hey look, small dick is back. Good morning cuck, how did your wife enjoy her bull last night?

Is calling someone a bitch of a man "interesting", maybe you should discuss it in your high school classroom.

Your Peewee Herman antics are laughable, keep them going as you follow me around.

Critical thinking like the ability to take in information from multiple sources and cross reference to find truth?

Something you are not capable of.... go on...

The information could have been presented by any tweet, using your brain would have allowed you to cross reference it from any one of the multitude of sources that also announced it.

Your Peewee Herman antics might work with high schoolers but it's clear you lack any form of actual credibility.

Speaking of Peewee antics, your small dick little "I don't want to be doxxed" narrative makes me laugh, I've happily met multiple people from this board.

Now, make sure you get the rim nice and clean while you are down there.

Thats a hell of a narrative you are hiding behind. Hiding like the self loathing cuck you are. Much EL OH EL.

I mean, there's some dick size stuff, some internet tough guy stuff, some internet smart guy stuff, some butt-sex stuff… nice repertoire, here.

Reactions: FlickShagwell
Biden isn't governing as a moderate. Recent policies passed by this administration are far from Democrat party classics. Opposition to abortion becoming a states rights issue is understandable but needs to be addressed at state level. Climate change legislation that cripples the US economy for a negligible net climate improvement is a pipe dream. Individual civil rights in this country were largely resolved by 1970, and I view the current effort to expand legislation in this area to include sexual orientation and gender as misguided and divisive...
See...right here you're believing the MAGA media lies. Your "crippling the US economy" post is pure fear. It's nonsense. Civil rights largely resolved? Sigh. The legislation on the left to protect Americans who you don't like is necessary due to the constant attacks on these Americans by right wing loons.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFSNOLE
And now, the succession of posts immediately following the suggestion another poster might have personal issues…

I mean, there's some dick size stuff, some internet tough guy stuff, some internet smart guy stuff, some butt-sex stuff… nice repertoire, here.
Welcome to Hort, small dick, saying you should kill someone due to politics is doing exactly what the person he claims to hate does.

Reactions: OhAdam
So, you have nothing that shows Democrats have moved off their base positions other than your perception of those policies. Got it. Thanks for playing.

Maybe people in Iowa are smarter than the OP gives them credit for, some recent leftist ideas;

-Men should be allowed to compete against and beat women in women's sports.
-Hamas, the murdering, rapists, terrorists killing Jews and babies in Israel, are the actual victims, not the Jews.
-Leftist Supreme Court nominee can't define what a women is.
-Rich white Ivy league graduates, with useless degrees, should have middle income and low income Americans pay off those rich kid's college loans.

-A border that allows millions of illegal immigrants to pour through is actually "secure".

It's weird why the left has lost ground in Iowa isn't it?

I think this person nails it:

A multitude of factors has led to Iowa’s red-shift.

1. Tea Party Backlash — After 2008, the GOP regrouped and organized a massive backlash response to Obama and the Democrats, built on preying on fears and anxieties of older, WWC voters who make up most of states like Iowa. That’s what produced the Tea Party and the 2010 red-wave midterms. Part of this effort was also an escalation in disinformation, including the GOP slowly becoming more competent in using social media to spread its propaganda.
  2. IDP Atrophy — the IDP also grew increasingly reliant on Obama’s campaign machine, which only was active in 2008 and 2012. For all his strengths as a campaign, Obama was not great at campaigning for other candidates in midterms/cycles he wasn’t running in. And without his resources, the IDP slowly decayed, which allowed the Iowa GOP to further regain and solidify power in Iowa.
  3. Brain Drain — As Iowa has shifted more to the right, younger, more educate, more liberal Iowans have left the state. For years now, we’ve had a net negative rate of college graduates remaining in Iowa, as opposed to leaving for bluer states like MN, IL, and CO. That’s means the folks more likely to still be here are older, less educated, and more conservative on the whole. And this trend easily becomes self-perpetuating, because the GOP keeps enacting policies in Iowa that drive more and more younger liberals away.
  4. Lack of Investment — Because of Iowa’s drift, the DNC has largely given up on the state. Outside of maybe IA-03, there’s not many major competitive seats here for now, so the DNC is more interested in focusing resources to holding the “blue wall” and gaining ground in new battleground states like AZ and GA. We’ve simply lost our swing state status and so aren’t worth to fight for now, at least in the eyes of the national party. That then doubles back to #2, which is why the way out of this mess is rebuilding the IDP from the ground up, with a long term strategy of making incremental wins and slowly building back up strength like we’ve seen the WI Dems do.
Don't know, look at the numbers. Look at the last 6 elections - 2000, 2004, 2016 and 2020 the Dems had 650K-750K votes in each. In Obama's two years they were both over 800K. I think Trump has done the same on the Republican side - 650K-750K votes each year up through 2012. Over 800K the last two.

Both Obama and Trump seem to bring out voters that probably did not participate before. I don't see it as a shift one way or another, except for voting for someone in particular, not party.

Iowa has become dumber.

Look at the demographics. It's too obvious to ignore. Plus:

Conservative media+Religion+Iowa State Legislature+School Board nonsense+Orange Turd propaganda+SOTUS+.........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT