ADVERTISEMENT

Observations of my Home Town (Election Year edition)…

joelbc1

HB King
Gold Member
Sep 5, 2007
you can’t always get what you want!
Made a short visit to my small town Iowa home town yesterday. It’s an election year and this is what I noticed…..

Yard signs (Presidential) were not as numerous as I remember them in the past. Mostly “Trump” signs but surprised by the number of “Harris” signs in peoples yards. Now my travels were mostly on the western and northern side of town and traditionally, that is more heavily Repubber than Democrat. I know it’s early…”E Day” is 6-7 weeks away….My hometown is heavy Republican…I think 65-70% R lean…my impression after yesterday’s observation is perhaps Dems might gather 40% or more if the vote.

If that is the case, it should help Dems in some down ballot races and perhaps a Dem or two might make Congress and the Iowa Legislative numbers might start even up a bit.
There are still a lot of churches there! The High School football stadium is pretty much in a full remodel and it will be nice when finished for next year .

Made a short visit to my small town Iowa home town yesterday. It’s an election year and this is what I noticed…..

Yard signs (Presidential) were not as numerous as I remember them in the past. Mostly “Trump” signs but surprised by the number of “Harris” signs in peoples yards. Now my travels were mostly on the western and northern side of town and traditionally, that is more heavily Repubber than Democrat. I know it’s early…”E Day” is 6-7 weeks away….My hometown is heavy Republican…I think 65-70% R lean…my impression after yesterday’s observation is perhaps Dems might gather 40% or more if the vote.

If that is the case, it should help Dems in some down ballot races and perhaps a Dem or two might make Congress and the Iowa Legislative numbers might start even up a bit.
There are still a lot of churches there! The High School football stadium is pretty much in a full remodel and it will be nice when finished for next year .
If you don’t mind saying, what’s your home town.?

I’m in Adel and it seems like it is a Trump stronghold around here and surrounding communities haha. Too many ISU fans too

Reactions: mattymoknows
Guys, you have an election of a guy who lost against a lady nobody wants, you are not going to see the "yard signs" like you have seen before on either side, plus, I think most people had their fill of politics over the last 6 years.

Votes matter, not signs.

Reactions: Hans81
Guys, you have an election of a guy who lost against a lady nobody wants, you are not going to see the "yard signs" like you have seen before on either side, plus, I think most people had their fill of politics over the last 6 years.

Votes matter, not signs.
Yard signs are a pretty good gauge of voter enthusiasm, though.

I love it when people say small town yet they only could cover certain portions of the town when they drove through and mention it has multiple churches and the football stadium is going through a remodel.
A small town has one church and one bar. The school made up of multiple towns doesn’t have a stadium. They have a some bleachers on the home and less bleachers on the visitor side.

• Haha
Reactions: McLovin32
Here in turning deep red Ottumwa there have been very little political signs for either candidate. Last time around Trump signs were everywhere. Talking to my repub friends its still a vast majority MAGA vote but a surprising number of repubs are not wanting to vote Trump this time around. They will definitely not vote dem so no bump for Harris.

Last edited:
Reactions: joelbc1
I don't see many (if any) Trump signs in Omaha. A lot of Don Bacon, Tony Vargas, and Nick Batter.

Not much Kamala either.

I love it when people say small town yet they only could cover certain portions of the town when they drove through and mention it has multiple churches and the football stadium is going through a remodel.
A small town has one church and one bar. The school made up of multiple towns doesn’t have a stadium. They have a some bleachers on the home and less bleachers on the visitor side.
My small town (1,600) had 3 churches, 6 bars, and 2 high schools.

Reactions: jasonrann
Here in turning deep red Ottumwa there have been very little political signs for either candidte. Last time around Trump signs were everywhere. Talking to my repub friends its still a vast majority MAGA vote but a surprising number of repubs are not wanting to vote Trump this time around. They will definitely not vote dem so no bump for Harris.
That is my initial impression too. And a little softer Republican turnout can certainly be a positive for Dems in down ballot contests and enable some Dems to win “close” contests at the local level. For once, the no Governor election year might play as an advantage at the polls for Iowa Dems if Repubbers don’t turn out in strong numbers for Trump.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
Fiesta is fantastic for a small town Mexican joint. Been there 3 times in a month since we moved here lol

Also enjoy Brickyard too. They have some good bar food.

In Desoto, there is this place called Ambrose roadhouse. Great gizzards and tenderloins
Welcome to the neighborhood.

Best ice cream place around is Redfield, Brickyard is cool if you want to meet people, being new to the area but it's meh food, let me know I'll meet you for a beer, come a little further my way and try the burger at the rusty duck sometime. The Taco truck that post up across the street from ambrose 🔥 🔥 ( not open on mondays)

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Welcome to the neighborhood.

Best ice cream place around is Redfield, Brickyard is cool if you want to meet people, being new to the area but it's meh food, let me know I'll meet you for a beer, come a little further my way and try the burger at the rusty duck sometime. The Taco truck that post up across the street from ambrose 🔥 🔥 ( not open on mondays)
Billy’s Ice cream has my heart at the moment for ice cream

Probably because they don't want visits from the FBI and other assorted terrorists...........
this is your brain on drugs 80s GIF

• Haha
Reactions: mattymoknows
I would have a hard time finding a “small town” with only one bar in eastern Iowa. For real.

I live in Trump central (Florida panhandle) and the Trump signs are way down from 2020.

csb
It’s going to boil down to voter turnout. As always.

We know the MAGA idiot brigade will enthusiastically march to their polling places. My hope is the more moderate Republicans stay home or leave the president space blank.

Not sure if you know this, but when I was growing up in Oyens (population 130) in the 70's, we had three bars. At that time, I think Remsen had at least 12.
I think in the 80s/90s there was close to 1 bar for every 100 people in the town. Which would have put them to 15 or 16.

The last time I was there it was pretty much down to Beer City, Connor's, and the Triangle. Also, the golf course was still serving if people count that as a bar.

Reactions: jasonrann
It’s going to boil down to voter turnout. As always.

We know the MAGA idiot brigade will enthusiastically march to their polling places. My hope is the more moderate Republicans stay home or leave the president space blank.
Good comrade....good, good, good! Maybe just end elections all together since only you marxists know best?

That's basically what the football 'stadium' is. They are just putting in new bleachers on the home side and building a nice press box that runs the full length of the bleachers.

It might be a bit early but I do think yard signs are down here too.

Plenty of Trump flags that have been up for the past 4 years.

If you drive through Reasoner, there is a guy that has a huge **** BIDEN sign on his fence, seems a little much. My neighbor continues to fly his "Joe Gotta Go" flag. I have seen more and more Harris Walz signs popping up. There has been a house on the Reasoner Road that has two large Trump flags at the end of his driveway. Just this week his next door neighbor put up a large Harris Walz flag at the end of his own driveway.

Last edited:
I’m in Adel and it seems like it is a Trump stronghold around here and surrounding communities haha. Too many ISU fans too
Dallas County is still very much old school business conservative. I would say Trump himself isn’t loved but it’s still a surprisingly strong GOP presence. I say surprisingly because of the number of young, college-educated citizens in the western burbs.

If you drive through Reasoner, there is a guy that has a huge **** BIDEN sign on his fence, seems a little much. My neighbor continues to fly his "Joe Gotta Go" flag. I have seen more and more Harris Walz signs popping up. There has been a house on the Reasoner Road that has two large Trump flags at the end of his driveway. Just this week his next door neighbor put up a large Harris Walz flag at the end of his own driveway.
Same people that prob compains about the world going to shit when someone shows cleavage on tv.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT