ADVERTISEMENT

Ocasio-Cortez, Markey reintroduce Green New Deal resolution: ‘We need bold big climate action’

binsfeldcyhawk2

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 13, 2006
I guess the Inflation Reduction Act Green New Deal wasn't enough....

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) announced the reintroduction of their signature Green New Deal resolution Thursday, along with a “Green New Deal for Health” co-sponsored by Markey and Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.).

Speaking on Capitol Hill on Thursday, Ocasio-Cortez said the successful passage of the Inflation Reduction Act in 2022 proved ambitious action on climate was possible. The bill would almost certainly never reach the House floor under the current Republican majority, but speakers repeatedly invoked the possibility of a restored Democratic trifecta in the 2024 elections.

“First, we were called unrealistic. Then, when it was when it came time for the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law and Inflation Reduction Act, we started to fight,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “We said we are not going to take crumbs, and we’re not going to settle for that — we need bold big climate action, and we need it now.”

“And that fight resulted in the largest piece of climate legislation in American history,” she added.

Markey and Khanna timed the reintroduction for the fourth anniversary of their original Green New Deal resolution in 2019, shortly after Ocasio-Cortez was sworn into Congress. The resolution proposed a broad swath of environmental and economic reforms, including expansion of high-speed rail, implementation of a “social cost of carbon” rule and creation of a state jobs program modeled after the Depression-era initiatives that are its namesake.

Khanna and Markey’s health care legislation, meanwhile, would revive the Hill-Burton program, a New Deal-era initiative that provided hospital construction grants, to provide $100 billion to hospitals for climate resilience. It would also require the Department of Health and Human Services to create a task force that would make policy on emission and climate risk disclosures for FDA-approved drugs and devices.

I guess the Inflation Reduction Act Green New Deal wasn't enough....

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) and Sen. Ed Markey (D-Mass.) announced the reintroduction of their signature Green New Deal resolution Thursday, along with a “Green New Deal for Health” co-sponsored by Markey and Rep. Ro Khanna (D-Calif.).

Speaking on Capitol Hill on Thursday, Ocasio-Cortez said the successful passage of the Inflation Reduction Act in 2022 proved ambitious action on climate was possible. The bill would almost certainly never reach the House floor under the current Republican majority, but speakers repeatedly invoked the possibility of a restored Democratic trifecta in the 2024 elections.

“First, we were called unrealistic. Then, when it was when it came time for the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law and Inflation Reduction Act, we started to fight,” Ocasio-Cortez said. “We said we are not going to take crumbs, and we’re not going to settle for that — we need bold big climate action, and we need it now.”

“And that fight resulted in the largest piece of climate legislation in American history,” she added.

Markey and Khanna timed the reintroduction for the fourth anniversary of their original Green New Deal resolution in 2019, shortly after Ocasio-Cortez was sworn into Congress. The resolution proposed a broad swath of environmental and economic reforms, including expansion of high-speed rail, implementation of a “social cost of carbon” rule and creation of a state jobs program modeled after the Depression-era initiatives that are its namesake.

Khanna and Markey’s health care legislation, meanwhile, would revive the Hill-Burton program, a New Deal-era initiative that provided hospital construction grants, to provide $100 billion to hospitals for climate resilience. It would also require the Department of Health and Human Services to create a task force that would make policy on emission and climate risk disclosures for FDA-approved drugs and devices.

Could you please explain to us what it is in the Green New Deal that would be terrible for America? Anything in there that you agree with? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Could you please explain to us what it is in the Green New Deal that would be terrible for America? Anything in there that you agree with? Thanks in advance
Increasing the already $1T+ projected annual budget deficits would be where I'd start.

Increasing the already $1T+ projected annual budget deficits would be where I'd start.
So again, you're good with the massive tax cut Trump gave the uber wealthy. The Democrats want this paid for, by the few who own 85% of the wealth in this country, which would benefit our society and our kids' kids. I've been warned about the debt my entire adult life by Republicans, yet they do nothing but make it worse when they take office. Instead, we get our BS gridlock, and nothing gets done for the country to make it better for everyone.

I swear to God nobody learns around here.

Totally serious. Why wasn't it put forward in the last congress...when the D's had all 3 branches?

They put it forward in 2019 when they knew it wouldn't get through the Senate and have done it again...when they know it won't go through.

Because they were focused on what they thought they could get bought off Sinema and Houseboat Joe to vote for. How much of this was in the original version of the reconciliation package that got cut down to about 25% of the original bill?

Why do you have a problem with them introducing legislation like this knowing it won't pass?

Reactions: Tom Paris
So again, you're good with the massive tax cut Trump gave the uber wealthy.
WRONG

You totally missed his point.

We are at "full employment". Trump pushed a tax cut stimulous to grow the economy. An economy that "grows" supposedly will create more jobs. Where will the people to fill these new jobs come from?

Trump wants to cut immigration so where do these workers come from?

So the projected growth in the economy and the new jobs created by that are going to filled by these folks? We're already at full employment.....maybe some of them will look for a job but I think what actually is going to be hard to fill is the low skilled/low paying jobs that immigrants legal and illegal fill to a degree.

Just think adding a stimulous to an already full employment environment wasn't very good economic policy.

I thought Trump just proposed a infrastructure plan last week.....

Anyway, I think we need an infrastructure upgrade but....combine that with the proposed increase in military spending AND the IMO unneeded tax cut. We're blowing up the deficit......

Also....pretty cynical to pin the increase in deficit spending on Democrats when Republican control congress and the executive....

The Fed is raising interest rates partially because of the unneeded tax cut that over heated an already "hot" economy. So yes....the Fed get's it's share of the "blame" but it's reacting to inflationary pressures brought on by throwing gasoline on an economy that was already humming along....at least that's how I interpret things.

Oh, the head of the Fed is a Trump appointee.....

Shows why a tax cut in a booming economy was insanely stupid. Now we’re left contemplating tax raises in a hurting economy.

Ass backwards IMO
@Tom Paris

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Paris
Because they were focused on what they thought they could get bought off Sinema and Houseboat Joe to vote for. How much of this was in the original version of the reconciliation package that got cut down to about 25% of the original bill?

Why do you have a problem with them introducing legislation like this knowing it won't pass?
Because I don't buy into political grandstanding...they're just throwing out chum for their base. R's do this all the time as well.

Appease the base with bills they know won't go anywhere, and they really don't want to pass anyway....strangely don't come back up when they have full control.

Rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Why do this?

She's gonna type this up on paper her plan to save the earth and she knows that Republicans are going to take her bill and simply throw it in the shredder in committee. Therefore the only thing she is accomplishing here is wasting paper.

Why is so much time and taxpayer money wasted on bills that have zero hope of passing?

India is also a country we have to worry about, growing at a rapid pace. The US is 14% of the global problem.

#CountryCO2 Emissions
(tons, 2016)
1 Year
Change
Population
(2016)
Per
capita
of world
1China10,432,751,400-0.28%1,414,049,3517.3829.18%
2United States5,011,686,600-2.01%323,015,99515.5214.02%
3India2,533,638,1004.71%1,324,517,2491.917.09%
4Russia1,661,899,300-2.13%145,275,38311.444.65%
5Japan1,239,592,060-1.21%127,763,2659.703.47%

Maybe it’s stuff they believe in and are pushing dialogue? Grandstanding is MTG this week screaming at Mayorkas. Thoughtful work on the environment, and advocating for what you and your constituents believe in isn’t grandstanding, Boomer. :)
Grandstanding is Grandstanding Boomer.

I'm Gen X grandpa :)

And what would be the point of that? History has shown that when you are provided them, you won’t accept them and move the goalposts to a place not even close to the subject.

In 2019 she proclaimed we had 12 years left if we didn’t do the things she wanted done. Not hard to find.

Reactions: CoachJaxKnows
Totally serious. Why wasn't it put forward in the last congress...when the D's had all 3 branches?

They put it forward in 2019 when they knew it wouldn't get through the Senate and have done it again...when they know it won't go through.
Serious answer...they got - as indicated by the OP - parts of it included in the Inflation Reduction Act.

In 2022 when they actually COULD get something done.

"When we first introduced the Green New Deal, we were told that our vision for the future was too aspirational. Four years later, we see core tenets of the Green New Deal reflected in the Inflation Reduction Act — the largest ever federal investment in fighting climate change, with a focus on creating good, green jobs. But there is still much, much more to do to make environmental justice the center of U.S. climate policy. Today’s reintroduction marks the beginning of that process — of strengthening and broadening our coalition, and of laying the policy groundwork for the next fight."

-Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez D-NY

Serious answer...they got - as indicated by the OP - parts of it included in the Inflation Reduction Act.

In 2022 when they actually COULD get something done.

"When we first introduced the Green New Deal, we were told that our vision for the future was too aspirational. Four years later, we see core tenets of the Green New Deal reflected in the Inflation Reduction Act — the largest ever federal investment in fighting climate change, with a focus on creating good, green jobs. But there is still much, much more to do to make environmental justice the center of U.S. climate policy. Today’s reintroduction marks the beginning of that process — of strengthening and broadening our coalition, and of laying the policy groundwork for the next fight."

-Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez D-NY
Reinforces my point....when they're in control be realistic.

When they're not...grandstand with bills that have zero chance of passing. Rinse and repeat.

Reactions: jamesvanderwulf
Reinforces my point....when they're in control be realistic.

When they're not...grandstand with bills that have zero chance of passing. Rinse and repeat.
LOL...you serious, Clark? Care to illustrate the point of being "realistic" when NO climate bill has ANY chance of passing? The "grandstanding" you reference in 2019 laid the groundwork for "the largest ever federal investment in fighting climate change, with a focus on creating good, green jobs" in 2022. It's called "governing".

LOL...you serious, Clark? Care to illustrate the point of being "realistic" when NO climate bill has ANY chance of passing? The "grandstanding" you reference in 2019 laid the groundwork for "the largest ever federal investment in fighting climate change, with a focus on creating good, green jobs" in 2022. It's called "governing".
Call it what you want...it got brought up in 2019 when they didn't have control and now...when they don't have control.

Conspicuously absent when they did have control. Spin it however you want...

Call it what you want...it got brought up in 2019 when they didn't have control and now...when they don't have control.

They passed a bill with what they could get through Congress when they had power. They backed off pushing for everything to get what they could get done actually done. That's what they were working on when they had power. When they don't have power they "grandstand" (or do politics is how I think of it). How is that spin?

And it was brought up in 2021/22 WHEN THEY DID HAVE CONTROL and they were successful in getting some of it incorporated into the IRA. How is that spin? Do you seriously think they were going to get the entire thing through Congress in 2022 just because they had razor-thin margins in both chambers? With Joe Manchin controlling the Senate? Serious question. - I need to judge how delusional you are.

And it was brought up in 2021/22 WHEN THEY DID HAVE CONTROL and they were successful in getting some of it incorporated into the IRA. How is that spin? Do you seriously think they were going to get the entire thing through Congress in 2022 just because they had razor-thin margins in both chambers? With Joe Manchin controlling the Senate? Serious question. - I need to judge how delusional you are.
The green new deal wasn't brought up for a vote in 2021-22.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT