ADVERTISEMENT

Of the 130 Division I college football teams

So in 2025 when they look back at this season will it say Iowa was 10-2 or 9-3 with before their bowl game or will it say Iowa was 124th on offense?
No one will look back at this season because Iowa didn’t even win the division, again. Just like no one looks back on 2020. 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, etc. No one looks back on an outback bowl season.

Maybe. Our D was getting handled fairly easily vs Purdue tho.

With all respect to our D, they've been great, but if we win this week and Minnesota pulls off the upset Ohio State will put up 60 on us in the B1G Championship.
When is the last time Iowa gave up 60 to anyone? Not being a wise guy, just curious.
I'm not looking it up. :)

With all respect to our D, they've been great, but if we win this week and Minnesota pulls off the upset Ohio State will put up 60 on us in the B1G Championship.
I'd take that bet, would you. Think first before you answer. MSU has one of the worst pass defenses in all of college football. Their defense is ranked even worse against other defenses then Iowas offense is ranked nationally against all other offenses. Now thats bad! I believe Iowa's defense is ranked top THREE against the pass. While playing their normal zone only given up 4 TD's all season and yet taken away 18 interceptions. I'm not saying we'd beat OSU but I'd take the under on your 60 or even 50, hell maybe even 40 points given up.

When is the last time Iowa gave up 60 to anyone? Not being a wise guy, just curious.
MSU has one of the absolute worst pass defenses in all of college football while Iowa is top 5. Aint happening...

This. Be wary of buying into the hype that this is a lock-down defense. It is safe to say this is a good defense, and if one would grade them on how well the defense plays in relation to their talent, I think its safe to say they play above their weight. But I think it is also safe to say that this defense is just as effective because of how inept the offenses that we have faced have been as much as imposing their will on the offenses we have faced. Over the course of the season against average P5 offensive lines, this defensive line can generate a very minimal pass rush. They got gashed on the ground against Minnesota and I think Wisconsin could have done more on the ground if they weren't in conservative mode in the second half. They obviously got gashed in the air against Purdue, but we have seen both corners get burned more than once. At the end of the day, with regards to the defense the sum of the parts is much better than the parts by themselves.

Then you look at the offense, you can look at it a couple of different ways. You can either look at the bright side to see that we have some really young guys, 1st and 2nd year players that are not only contributing but are the focus of the offense and how promising that is, or, you can look at the downside to question how bad are the players that are upperclassmen that got jumped. But just know that it is very, very difficult to have any sort of offensive cohesion when there are so many young guys.

Saying all of that, if all the fans want to fire anybody or all of this coaching staff for not bringing in better players, then you have an argument. But if you want to fire them because they aren't getting the most out of what they have, then you don't. Its not just about the record this year, it is the fact that there are a lot of teams out there that have more talent than Iowa does and they do less with it. Look at Nebraska for instance. Besides center, tell me one position that we hands down are better than them at? And they have won 3 games, we have won 9. There are several teams in our own conference that you could use as a reference let alone the rest of college football.

So in 2025 when they look back at this season will it say Iowa was 10-2 or 9-3 with before their bowl game or will it say Iowa was 124th on offense?
I will not say either. I will say didn't win the west division (obviously, I also do not think MN is going to beat WI next weekend.

No one will look back at this season because Iowa didn’t even win the division, again. Just like no one looks back on 2020. 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, etc. No one looks back on an outback bowl season.
This. People remember 2015 for a reason. The build up to Indy was unlike any bowl game that isn't the Rose Bowl because there was actually something tangible on the line.

Iowa hasn’t given up 30 points since 2018 when they beat Minnesota 48-31 and lost to Purdue 38-36.
Iowa hasn’t given up 40 points since 2017 when they beat ISU 44-41.
Iowa hasn’t given up 50 points since 2014 when they lost to Minnesota 51-14.

Reactions: kceasthawk

they could have used a break and we could have handled their D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT