ADVERTISEMENT

Offensive Line

Mar 14, 2003
I think we can all agree that everything starts up front. My questions are these, did anybody actually think our tackles would be B1G quality tackles this year? I said probably 2 months ago that this OL would be/could be 1999 bad and I got my head ripped off for that. Well from the sounds of it, that is how bad they looked.

My next question is, at a place like Iowa who has had numerous guys drafted in the 1st round under Ferentz, how in the hell does this happen? How do we not have guys up front that had major offers?

Id be real curious as to Otts perspective of Myers at this point. He has seen all the b10 tackles and scherff. He knows better than anyone if we are in trouble.

Reactions: NomisHawk
At this point, I think our OL would be better off if we start Daniels at C and move Blythe to a weak spot on the line.
Right now it looks like he(Daniels) is getting reps at G. They moved LeGrand to C earliar this week. LeGrand tried to play OT... I asked in a different thread about the OT's...If Boettger and BM continue to fail/get injured, who on the current roster could play OT at a semi respectable level.. The answer was a walk on named Croston and maybe S Welsh could play there.. OT recruiting has been weak for a couple of years. They whiffed on Campos,Wallace,Piersbacher,Okorafor, etc... and weren't capable of finding much else. People are thinking 1 of the Paulsens and maybe Waechter can eventual end up there. They have zero OT's verballed right now with 2-3 schollies available. The best hope right now would prolly be Farniok or Jackson. Not sure where Iowa stands with these two, currently.

Reactions: And1Hawk
I think we can all agree that everything starts up front. My questions are these, did anybody actually think our tackles would be B1G quality tackles this year? I said probably 2 months ago that this OL would be/could be 1999 bad and I got my head ripped off for that. Well from the sounds of it, that is how bad they looked.

My next question is, at a place like Iowa who has had numerous guys drafted in the 1st round under Ferentz, how in the hell does this happen? How do we not have guys up front that had major offers?

I think nearly everybody thought it was a concern, and that hasn't changed. I know I'm concerned. I also think you are crazy to think it will be '99 bad. Do you remember how bad that line was?

Reactions: icu81222
I think nearly everybody thought it was a concern, and that hasn't changed. I know I'm concerned. I also think you are crazy to think it will be '99 bad. Do you remember how bad that line was?
Felt sorry for Ladell Betts that year... Kid took an absolute pounding and still ended up with around 800-900 yards on the ground.

images

Defense always starts out stronger than offense in camp, especially on the line...let things develop before you lose your sh* *.
Year after year, the Ferentz's play with positions moving people around changing line ups and developing depth.
3 weeks of camp left...chill....Ott and (its) Meier could both very well be all Big Ten by the end of the year.

Reactions: NomisHawk
I think we will be fine on the OL. Wasn't Schreff quoted as saying that you do not need to worry about Boone?? I thought someone said that anyhow...

As usual for KF, the offense is way behind to start the season(how the heck does that happen EVERY YEAR to a Ferentz team??). That and those two DEs could very well be All-B1G. They will probably be honorable mention at worse, IMHO.

My concern with the OL is depth. There are a couple of guys I would have thought would have been starter material, Mitch Keppy for example. Maybe he and others are, but we have not heard much of them. Usually there is a whiff of something if they are decent.

I think the orange bowl season they gave up 16 sacks in preseason scrimmage. I am concerned but know the line will improve as the season progresses.

Also, line Play is a team game as much as an individual. There are ways to adjust to help out.

Plus, drew Ott is proving to likely be top 3 DE 's in the B1G

I think the orange bowl season they gave up 16 sacks in preseason scrimmage. I am concerned but know the line will improve as the season progresses.
You know the O-line is going to improve as the season progresses? You mean like last year? 3rd game against one of the most horrific front 7's ever assembled at a power 5 conference program, the Hawks O-line gave up 4 sacks and were capable of helping the rb's avg an amazing 2.9 yards per rush. In the 9th game they gave up 4 sacks and helped the rb's to another amazing yards per rush avg-2.8. All the while assisting the O to an amazing 17 points as the team got their heads kicked in by Minny. In the 12th game, against a depleted Nebby sqaud without their premiere pash rusher- Randy Gregory, that O-line gave up 3 sacks and helped the rb's to an avg of 2.8 yards per rush. Lot's of progress there, correct? Is this the type of progress you know is going to happen with this group, without the Outland trophy winner and another draft pick?

So what you're saying is the past doesn't matter and we will never know until the season plays out.

Got it.
What would make somebody think the O-line would automatically progress? Is recent history not a good guide?

Have to make a correction. the Iowa offense produced 14 points against a slighlty above avg Minny team. Not the 17 that I posted. My bad.

I think we will be fine on the OL. Wasn't Schreff quoted as saying that you do not need to worry about Boone?? I thought someone said that anyhow...

As usual for KF, the offense is way behind to start the season(how the heck does that happen EVERY YEAR to a Ferentz team??). That and those two DEs could very well be All-B1G. They will probably be honorable mention at worse, IMHO.

My concern with the OL is depth. There are a couple of guys I would have thought would have been starter material, Mitch Keppy for example. Maybe he and others are, but we have not heard much of them. Usually there is a whiff of something if they are decent.

1. I think Boone will be good in a year or two. This year he is going to get abused.
2. What else would you expect Scherff to say?
3. You are absolutely correct about OL depth. If one of our tackles go down scary becomes horrifying.

So, what you're saying is,'the past doesn't matter, and we will never know until the season plays out'?

Got it.

This time I used proper punctuation and formed it as a question so that you can respond yes or no.

I am so tired of a program that can never be ready to play football on day 1 and for the entire season. There's always some narrative that provides an excuse for incompetence especially on the offense and OL. Is this what 4 million buys these days?

They better figure it out real quick before they lose to an FCS school and ISU for the zillion'th time to start the year.

I am so tired of a program that can never be ready to play football on day 1 and for the entire season. There's always some narrative that provides an excuse for incompetence especially on the offense and OL. Is this what 4 million buys these days?

They better figure it out real quick before they lose to an FCS school and ISU for the zillion'th time to start the year.
This is so true! What the hell is the pre-season for if they aren't ready by the first game. Good programs don't use excuses to appease fans and have loyal fans making excuses for a staff.

Reactions: BuckRussel
The 2008 football team went 9-4 and finished 20th in country.

Here is Marc Morehouse's write-up on the August 16, 2008 scrimmage.https://marcmwm.wordpress.com/2008/08/16/quick-stats/

There were 17 sacks!

Morehouse wrote:

"This is the scrimmage where the defense is light years ahead of the offense. This year was no different. Were the 17 sacks (QBs don’t get hit, so the sacks were more like tags) shocking? If there was a difference between the ’07 open practice and Saturday, I think it was the D-line dominance. It was difficult to evaluate any of the running backs."

Sound familiar? Settle down!

Here is Marc Morehouse's write-up on the August 16, 2008 scrimmage.https://marcmwm.wordpress.com/2008/08/16/quick-stats/

There were 17 sacks!

Morehouse wrote:

"This is the scrimmage where the defense is light years ahead of the offense. This year was no different. Were the 17 sacks (QBs don’t get hit, so the sacks were more like tags) shocking? If there was a difference between the ’07 open practice and Saturday, I think it was the D-line dominance. It was difficult to evaluate any of the running backs."

Thanks for looking this up. I was about to do a search, as this sounds all too the same... I do like the note on the DL dominating. Very similar to this year's DL. If those LBs can show any athleticism, our D should be very good.

Reactions: erickson14

If this is "as usual for KF offense being way behind..." then I believe the offenses issues are his and not GDs. I have said this before, it appears that KF has a strangle hold on the offense and just cannot fathom relinquishing complete control to anyone.

You know the O-line is going to improve as the season progresses? You mean like last year? 3rd game against one of the most horrific front 7's ever assembled at a power 5 conference program, the Hawks O-line gave up 4 sacks and were capable of helping the rb's avg an amazing 2.9 yards per rush. In the 9th game they gave up 4 sacks and helped the rb's to another amazing yards per rush avg-2.8. All the while assisting the O to an amazing 17 points as the team got their heads kicked in by Minny. In the 12th game, against a depleted Nebby sqaud without their premiere pash rusher- Randy Gregory, that O-line gave up 3 sacks and helped the rb's to an avg of 2.8 yards per rush. Lot's of progress there, correct? Is this the type of progress you know is going to happen with this group, without the Outland trophy winner and another draft pick?
Seems pretty scripted year after year, doesn't it. In the end GD will have all the blame laid at his feet and not a peep as to why Brian or KF whiffed that badly.....:confused:

There were 17 sacks!

Morehouse wrote:

"This is the scrimmage where the defense is light years ahead of the offense. This year was no different. Were the 17 sacks (QBs don’t get hit, so ,the sacks were more like tags) shocking? If there was a difference between the ’07 open practice and Saturday, I think it was the D-line dominance. It was difficult to evaluate any of the running backs."

Thanks for providing this info Oldgold51, its definitely worth mention and could mirror how this season goes. The only problem I have with the comparison between this years team and that team in 2008/09 is the fact that 08/09 team had a ton of future NFL players, all over the field from offensive line to RB,DB, LB, DL, etc. and from the wide receiver position two of the top producing receivers in program history. I just don't see that type of talent on this roster and its not even close imo. Beyond the talent gap, our coaching staff has changed and I don't think its been an improvement from the staff back then.

People are saying "calm down" or "the defense is always ahead of the offense" ,etc...

Let me tell you something I have always been comfortable with Iowa's OL as we've had guys like Scherff, the Ferentz brothers, Reiff, Bulaga, Yanda, Steinbach, Gettis, Mike Jones, McMahon, Nelson, etc..

I could go on, the point is. These guys we all knew could get the job done. We have two unproven walkons on our starting OL at this point.

You forget that with the lack of downfield passing and variety on offense that teams stacked the box vs Iowa. You can't block 8 or 9 guys with 6 or 7.

Tired of it also. I've asked why do they consistently look like they have not practiced in August. The Iowa St. game is huge for KF. Lose it and I think he's toast.

They were successful in landing a big time talent at tackle. Let's be honest, Ryan Ward has been a disappoiuntment.

People are saying "calm down" or "the defense is always ahead of the offense" ,etc...

Let me tell you something I have always been comfortable with Iowa's OL as we've had guys like Scherff, the Ferentz brothers, Reiff, Bulaga, Yanda, Steinbach, Gettis, Mike Jones, McMahon, Nelson, etc..

I could go on, the point is. These guys we all knew could get the job done. We have two unproven walkons on our starting OL at this point.

Boettger isn't a walk on. Now granted he was recruited as a TE but was a scholarship player. With our tackles like LBs last year they maybe thrown into playing time probably a year before they were ready.

No one knew they could get the job done before they stepped on the field. Many of those guys were lightly regarded recruits, and would be ripped to shreds on the message boards if they committed today.

You list Gettis? That is hilarious. He wasn't a productive player until his 5th year at Iowa, and didn't get snaps until year 4, and those were limited. Citing him as a guy "we all knew could get the job done" is the height of ignorance.

No one knew they could get the job done before they stepped on the field. Many of those guys were lightly regarded recruits, and would be ripped to shreds on the message boards if they committed today.

You list Gettis? That is hilarious. He wasn't a productive player until his 5th year at Iowa, and didn't get snaps until year 4, and those were limited. Citing him as a guy "we all knew could get the job done" is the height of ignorance.
The info you listed about Gettis is ignorant. I suggest you look up his bio. Maybe you will find some actual facts there. Didn't get snaps until year 4? Jfc....

Gettis played/started in 2009, 2010, and 2011. He battled some injuries during that time but was a starter during a portion of those.

A question I would have is can a guy like Blythe give us quality starts at tackle? Some will call me crazy, but if we can get Walsh back. We can go Walsh and Welch at the guard spots, Daniels at center, and Blythe at the LT spot.

A question I would have is can a guy like Blythe give us quality starts at tackle? Some will call me crazy, but if we can get Walsh back. We can go Walsh and Welch at the guard spots, Daniels at center, and Blythe at the LT spot.
Because he is 6'3". Shorter lineman play inside due to the fact they do not have the reach to block the speed rushers on the edge. The fact is we have to many players below 6'4". We cannot afford for the Paulsens to not pan out. I keep reading about Welsh playing OT and I think people need to put down the crack pipe. He is lucky if he is 6'2".

Reactions: And1Hawk
I get that, but it's pretty obvious our current situation at OT is not good. So a quick fix IMO is to see if our best OL can play the spot. I think Daniels would be more than fine at center.

Nearly all of the criticism I've heard about the OTs is their pass protection which, of course, is important.

What about their run blocking? You know, the other half of the job description, about 35-40 plays per game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT