ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official B1G Baseball Tournament Games Thread. #3 IOWA vs #1 Maryland, Sunday 2:00 PM CT, BTN*****

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
As a result of today's games, Iowa will go into the B1G tournament as the #3 seed and will play #6 seed Michigan on Tues at 10 am CT. If we win, we don't play until Thursday at 2 pm. If we lose, we play Wed at 7 pm. See the bracket below.

Illinois swept MSU this season so they won the tie breaker and get the #7 seed.

Scores from today, May 20:
Maryland 7, Penn State 4
Indiana 6, Michigan State 5
Iowa 10, Northwestern 0
Nebraska 6 Purdue 4
Ohio State 7 Michigan 2
Rutgers 14 Minnesota 6
Illinois 15 Tenn Martin 7

FINAL B1G STANDINGS:
.........................................Games
...........................................Back

1. Maryland (37-19, 17-7)....--
2. Indiana (40-16, 16-8).......1
3. Iowa (39-13, 15-8)..........1.5

4. Neb (31-21-1, 15-9)...........2

5. Rutgers (33-21, 14-10)......3
6. Michigan (26-26, 13-11)....4

7. Illinois (25-25, 12-12)..........5
8. Mich St (32-20, 12-12).......5

9. Purdue (24-29, 11-13)

10. Minn (18-34, 10-14)
11. Ohio St (31-25, 9-15)
12. Penn St (25-25, 7-16)
13. N'western (10-40, 4-20)

FwmgGWeWAAACKu-

Last edited:
Dargan covers Iowa baseball for the Register and Press Citizen. He seems pretty confident that we are in the NCAA Tournament now.

Nevertheless, lets hope we have a good showing in Omaha to erase any potential doubt

I don’t really think there’s an easy draw or tough draw here this year because I think the top 3 teams are the best, and the other 5 are just not as good all around. I just think there’s a bit of bad luck getting the lowest RPI team here in the opener. Basically just have to win to avoid dropping down the ladder.

Go 0-2 in the BTT and I think we will all be sweating it out on selection day.

Disagree unless rpi hits mid 40s. Solidly in at this point. Not sure two and bbq knocks us out.

You are talking loses against Michigan (who isn't good this year) and likely Illinois to close the season. That would put Iowa's RPI into the 40s and if any other team not named Indiana or Maryland win the BTT then I'll be nervous.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
You are talking loses against Michigan (who isn't good this year) and likely Illinois to close the season. That would put Iowa's RPI into the 40s and if any other team not named Indiana or Maryland win the BTT then I'll be nervous.
Can you imagine if a team like Rutgers or Nebraska wins the Big Ten tournament? I don't think there's any way in hell they would take four Big Ten teams

Reactions: ssckelley
Iowa entered its final regular season series at Northwestern just trying to secure the 3-seed at next week's Big Ten Tournament in Omaha, NE, and avoid defeats against a poor Northwestern squad that could damage hopes for an NCAA Tournament bid.

Mission accomplished, on both fronts.

The Hawkeyes took two games out of three from the Wildcats, which allowed them to maintain 3rd place in the Big Ten standings and left them with an RPI of 32, only a slight dip from the RPI of 29 they had before the series began.

MORE HERE: https://iowa.rivals.com/news/iowa-baseball-earns-3-seed-at-big-ten-tournament

Iowa is currently 70 points above UCSB (#40). Losing neutral site games to UM and Illinois might cause Iowa to lose in the ballpark of 70 points . . . it would be close. Of course, who knows what will happen in the other games as well.

I like that the B1G is the 6th overall conference last year as opposed to 8th last year. Although its certainly fair to have '22 Rutgers in the back of our minds, it's fair to be reminded that Rutgers played a grand total of 4 Q1 games in 2022. They were 1-3 in those games. Rutgers' sole Q1 win came at home against Maryland. They lost their two other games against Maryland and lost on the road badly to Coastal Carolina. All of those were cited as key factors in them being left out of the tournament. The B1G was down last year as a whole and even though Rutgers won three games in the tournament before losing to Michigan in the finals, Rutgers' games were all against teams with RPIs in the 100s (Q3 wins). All of those were cited as key factors in them being left out of the tournament. (I still feel like they got the shaft)

Iowa is 5-6 against Q1 teams, including neutral site wins over LSU and Indiana State and road wins against Indiana and Texas Tech. They also have a home win against Maryland. All in all, Iowa's '23 resume > Rutgers '22 resume.

You're right though. If Indiana or Maryland isn't hoisting the trophy on Sunday afternoon, I'll be right with you . . . biting my nails to the nubs as the selections are announced. As of typing this, I like Iowa's chances overall but would like to see at least one win to ease any lingering doubt that may exist.

Tuesday's Starting Pitching match up:

Stats are from B1G play

EDIT: Connor pitched 57 innings in B1G play, not 63.2. The original 63.2 figure incorrectly contained the April 29 Oklahoma State game.

.....................Connor.....Marcus
................O'Halloran....Morgan
ERA..................4.38........2.67
Innings.............57.0........33.2
Strike outs........59...........37
Walks..................15...........25
Hits....................56............16
Earned Runs.....31............10

Last edited:
63.2 innings during B1G play? Did he pitch a complete game every time out?

That number included Ok State by mistake.

The number should be 57.0

8.0.....March 24, Penn State
6.0.....March 31, Illinois
9.0.....April 7, Nebraska
1.0......April 14, Rutgers
6.0.....April 16, Rutgers
9.0.....April 22, Michigan State
6.2......April 29, Ok State
6.0.....May 5, Minnesota
7.2.....May 12, Northwestern
4.1.....May 18, Ohio State
63.2 Total Innings Pitched

His total IP was 97, 1 CG this season. Last season his pitched a bunch also. Averaged almost 7 innings an outing. 14 starts / 15 appearances.

Last edited:
Reactions: Franisdaman
I sure hope Morgan brings his A game tomorrow as the offense could struggle against Connor. Morgan is tough to hit but he's known to have command issues early in the game. Do not want to fall behind early or have to burn up the bullpen.

His total IP was 97, 1 CG this season. Last season his pitched a bunch also. Averaged almost 7 innings an outing. 14 starts / 15 appearances.

He pounds the zone but, if the last few outings are any indication, the miles on the arm might be catching up a bit. It will be an interesting balance tomorrow morning. How patient are Iowa's hitters if O'Halloran shows early that he's pounding the zone?

Good early test.

Reactions: BigOHawk
Iowa is currently 70 points above UCSB (#40). Losing neutral site games to UM and Illinois might cause Iowa to lose in the ballpark of 70 points . . . it would be close. Of course, who knows what will happen in the other games as well.

I like that the B1G is the 6th overall conference last year as opposed to 8th last year. Although its certainly fair to have '22 Rutgers in the back of our minds, it's fair to be reminded that Rutgers played a grand total of 4 Q1 games in 2022. They were 1-3 in those games. Rutgers' sole Q1 win came at home against Maryland. They lost their two other games against Maryland and lost on the road badly to Coastal Carolina. All of those were cited as key factors in them being left out of the tournament. The B1G was down last year as a whole and even though Rutgers won three games in the tournament before losing to Michigan in the finals, Rutgers' games were all against teams with RPIs in the 100s (Q3 wins). All of those were cited as key factors in them being left out of the tournament. (I still feel like they got the shaft)

Iowa is 5-6 against Q1 teams, including neutral site wins over LSU and Indiana State and road wins against Indiana and Texas Tech. They also have a home win against Maryland. All in all, Iowa's '23 resume > Rutgers '22 resume.

You're right though. If Indiana or Maryland isn't hoisting the trophy on Sunday afternoon, I'll be right with you . . . biting my nails to the nubs as the selections are announced. As of typing this, I like Iowa's chances overall but would like to see at least one win to ease any lingering doubt that may exist.

He pounds the zone but, if the last few outings are any indication, the miles on the arm might be catching up a bit. It will be an interesting balance tomorrow morning. How patient are Iowa's hitters if O'Halloran shows early that he's pounding the zone?

Good early test.
Fine line between patience and if you see a first pitch or early fastball you like to jump on it! I teach my team to try and see what pitcher is doing, work the count and make them work, at least in youth baseball!

In this case, I might suggest that Iowa make that kid throw as many pitches as possible to get him out of game and start to stress the Mich bullpen. Although, truth be told, just find a way to win in Game 1!

Reactions: AuroraHawk
I sure hope Morgan brings his A game tomorrow as the offense could struggle against Connor. Morgan is tough to hit but he's known to have command issues early in the game. Do not want to fall behind early or have to burn up the bullpen.

In sports, I am always prepared for the unexpected. Even the Oakland A's will shock the world sometimes by winning a game. ;)

Connor being on and Iowa's bats going quiet as a result is the worry for me, too.

Morgan has not pitched past the 6th inning so far in B1G play. Walks (see below) are a concern.

His last 4 B1G outings:

Innings
Pitched
...April 29 at Penn St. 5 walks. (Iowa lost 8-3)
5.0...May 6 vs Ohio St. 6 walks. (Iowa won 15-3)
6.0...May 12 vs Mich St. 4 walks. (Iowa won 9-0)
4.0...May 18 at N'w. 3 walks. (Iowa won 15-3)

From today:

D1 Baseball continues to have Maryland (2 seed), Indiana (2 seed) and Iowa (3 seed) in the NCAA Tournament.

2023 Field of 64 Projections:

WINSTON-SALEMAUSTIN
1 Wake Forest* (1)1 Texas (16)
4 Saint Joseph’s*4 Loyola Marymount*
2 Northeastern2 Dallas Baptist*
3 TCU3 Texas A&M
GAINESVILLEBRIGHTON
1 Florida* (2)1 Boston College (15)
4 Central Connecticut*4 Fairfield*
2 Maryland*2 Connecticut*
3 Kansas State3 Southern California
FAYETTEVILLETUSCALOOSA
1 Arkansas (3)1 Alabama (14)
4 Maine*4 Samford*
2 Indiana2 Southern Miss
3 Oklahoma3 Arizona State
BATON ROUGESTILLWATER
1 LSU (4)1 Oklahoma State* (13)
4 Nicholls*4 Oral Roberts*
2 Washington2 Oregon State
3 Texas Tech3 Grand Canyon*
STANFORDAUBURN
1 Stanford* (5)1 Auburn (12)
4 San Jose State*4 Alabama State*
2 North Carolina2 East Carolina*
3 UC Santa Barbara*3 Troy
CLEMSONCORAL GABLES
1 Clemson (6)1 Miami (11)
4 Army*4 Wright State*
2 Campbell*2 Tennessee
3 Oregon3 Kent State*
NASHVILLECONWAY
1 Vanderbilt (7)1 Coastal Carolina* (10)
4 Lipscomb*4 UNC Wilmington*
2 Duke2 South Carolina
3 UC Irvine3 NC State
CHARLOTTESVILLELEXINGTON
1 Virginia (8)1 Kentucky (9)
4 Pennsylvania*4 Morehead State*
2 West Virginia2 Indiana State*
3 Iowa3 Notre Dame

Last four in, first four out, from strongest to weakest:

61. Arizona State
62. Notre Dame
63. Oklahoma
64. NC State

—–CUTOFF—–

65. Texas State
66. Elon
67. UTSA
68. Cal State Fullerton

In sports, I am always prepared for the unexpected. Even the Oakland A's will shock the world sometimes by winning a game. ;)

Connor being on and Iowa's bats going quiet as a result is the worry for me, too.

Morgan has not pitched past the 6th inning so far in B1G play. Walks (see below) are a concern.

His last 4 B1G outings:

Innings
Pitched
...April 29 at Penn St. 5 walks. (Iowa lost 8-3)
5.0...May 6 vs Ohio St. 6 walks. (Iowa won 15-3)
6.0...May 12 vs Mich St. 4 walks. (Iowa won 9-0)
4.0...May 18 at N'w. 3 walks. (Iowa won 15-3)

Yep, he has command issues. I was at the MSU game and he was wild early on but then settled in. Pitch count got the best of him after the 6th inning. I think he could have went deeper in the NW game but Heller wanted him fresh for Tuesday.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Some tidbits from the pregame story:

• The Hawkeyes have posted ten consecutive winning seasons under head coach Rick Heller. For perspective, the program had just two winning seasons from 1997-2013 and five from 1990-2013.

• Since Heller took over the program in 2014, only three schools — Iowa, Indiana and Michigan — have qualified for the Big Ten Tournament each season it has been contested. (There was no tournament in 2020 or 2021 because of COVID.)

• Iowa is 36-1 when scoring six or more runs.

• Iowa has outscored its opponents 439-230, they are averaging 8.44 runs per game. The Hawkeyes are averaging 9.1 runs in their last 10 contests.

* The Hawkeyes have a .300 batting average. Iowa ranks 22nd in the nation with 122 doubles and 36th with 289 walks. If the season ended today Iowa’s batting average would be its highest since 2008 (.316).

• The pitching staff has a 4.04 ERA good for first in the Big Ten and 12th in the nation. The Iowa staff ranks second in the country in hits allowed per nine innings (6.73), fifth in strikeouts per nine (11.0).

• Brody Brecht leads the country in hits allowed per nine innings (4.27) and Marcus Morgan ranks sixth (5.47).

* The Iowa defense has a .979 fielding percentage which ranks 26th in the country.

• The Hawkeyes and Wolverines last met on May 29, 2022, at the Big Ten Tournament in Omaha. The Wolverines eliminated the Hawkeyes 13-1 in seven innings. Iowa had beaten Michigan the day before, 7-3.

• Michigan was swept by Ohio State during the final weekend and is currently on a four-game losing streak.

• The Wolverines are 4-5 in neutral site games.

• Offensively, the Wolverines bat .261 as a team – good for 11th in the Big Ten.

• They are led by Jonathan Kim (.331) and Ted Burton (13 HR | 42 RBI)

• Connor O’Halloran is Michigan’s ace, boasting an 8-5 record and a 3.43 ERA. He has struck out 103 batters, while only walking 23.

• Opponents hit .218 against O’Halloran.

• As a staff, Michigan has an ERA of 5.92 with opponents batting .270 against them.

• Iowa is making its eighth straight Big Ten Tournament appearance — a program record — and the 16th in program history.

• Head coach Rick Heller is 13-12 in the conference tournament.

Another interesting analytics tidbit:

The UI baseball managers program used its internal information system called HawkDashboard to run models and predictions to determine that Ben Wilmes should bat leadoff for the Hawkeyes.

• Wilmes has the third highest on base percentage on the team, grades really well on swing decisions, and his hard hit balls percentage is higher than the DI average.

• In the 27 games since he has batted leadoff, Wilmes has a .443 on base percentage and has scored 30 runs while tallying 16 RBIs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT