ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🪦*****

Yeah, he’s going to get a huge number. I think $450M is the floor, but he could definitely get $500M+….and he’ll be absolutely worth it.
It will be interesting if $$$ is his main driver.

There's MAYBE 5/6 teams in play that would pay him.
The other consideration is going to a team that can "protect" him in the batting order.

My prediction of teams in play would be Giants, Toronto, NYY, Mets, and Dodgers, if they can structure another deal like Ohtani.

It will be interesting if $$$ is his main driver.

There's MAYBE 5/6 teams in play that would pay him.
The other consideration is going to a team that can "protect" him in the batting order.

My prediction of teams in play would be Giants, Toronto, NYY, Mets, and Dodgers, if they can structure another deal like Ohtani.
I think he’s said as much in the past, that he’ll go to the highest bidder, but we’ll see. I’ll be a little surprised if he doesn’t stay with the Yankees, but I could see all of those being players. Will be interesting to see how far the Dodgers can push deferred money and the CBT limits. If they give a deal like Ohtani’s and defer, say $500M, they’ll have an actual debt north of $1B total to two players a decade from now. I get that tomorrow’s dollars are worth less than today’s, but that’s still a massive crap pile of debt to two guys.

Reactions: MitchLL
Independence Day Summer GIF

Bringing it today

Reactions: QChawks
The South Bend Cubs are on Marquee tonight if you'd like to get a look at Jefferson Rojas and Christian Hernandez, who has been in the system forever, but is still very young and finally moving upwards. I'll take a look at C Ethan Hearnes to see if he's an actual major league back up in the making, or a guy.

This was the point I made last evening.

This is the kind of game you have him make his first appearance in.
The only question is he threw 20-25 pitches last night and you bring him back 15-18 hours later???

Some managers believe the idea is to get the pitcher back on the mound right away after a tough outing if the opportunity presents itself. You don't have the guy think about a bad outing too long. Especially young pitchers.

Cubs continue to trim at the margins. I imagine we’ll see more of that the rest of the way especially if/when they truly fall out of any hope of contention. Gavin Hollowell is a 6’7 reliever, so they continue to pile up big dudes to come out of the pen.

Reactions: torbee
Here’s some more on Hollowell. Will be interesting to see if they can help him clean up the command. (30 Ks and 17 BB in 21.2 innings this year in AAA)

Reactions: lucas80
Vazquez was hitting after his mystery month on the IL, but I suspect he plays about as much as Bote did. The interesting move is adding another arm they think they can tinker with and unlock some command with.
The team keeps telling us they are playing to make the playoffs. If Hendricks takes another beating today do they replace him in the rotation or on the roster? Wicks and Killian are ready. They’ve got the ex Brewer whose name escapes me right now that they claimed last week. Maybe he’s a starter with a planned bullpen day guy.
The question being, are they in it to try and win it or not?

Vazquez was hitting after his mystery month on the IL, but I suspect he plays about as much as Bote did. The interesting move is adding another arm they think they can tinker with and unlock some command with.
The team keeps telling us they are playing to make the playoffs. If Hendricks takes another beating today do they replace him in the rotation or on the roster? Wicks and Killian are ready. They’ve got the ex Brewer whose name escapes me right now that they claimed last week. Maybe he’s a starter with a planned bullpen day guy.
The question being, are they in it to try and win it or not?
They're in it for now. Adrian Houser is the former Brewer.

PCA with the inside the park HR. I sensed it when the ball bounced so far away from the RFer. He's going to be fun to watch over the coming years.

Reactions: lucas80
If they get to .500 today; what are folks thinking they would need to finish to get a WC spot? 20-12 give or take? Think that is doable. Tough series with the Yankees, Dodgers and Phillies, and chasing multiple teams, including ATL isn’t ideal; but have a bit of hope here.

If they get to .500 today; what are folks thinking they would need to finish to get a WC spot? 20-12 give or take? Think that is doable. Tough series with the Yankees, Dodgers and Phillies, and chasing multiple teams, including ATL isn’t ideal; but have a bit of hope here.

They could make it interesting but those series at the end will put any playoff dreams to bed. In very Cubs fashion, they will dangle hope in front of us only to immediately yank it away.

Reactions: hawkfan0319
Cubs continue to trim at the margins. I imagine we’ll see more of that the rest of the way especially if/when they truly fall out of any hope of contention. Gavin Hollowell is a 6’7 reliever, so they continue to pile up big dudes to come out of the pen.
There was an interesting article in The Athletic earlier this week talking about how in the past, the Cub's front office was either ALL IN on buying or selling at the deadline - one or the other. This season they are trying a more hybrid approach, and being incremental. I like the strategy.

There was an interesting article in The Athletic earlier this week talking about how in the past, the Cub's front office was either ALL IN on buying or selling at the deadline - one or the other. This season they are trying a more hybrid approach, and being incremental. I like the strategy.
I do too. Had the season gone better early, they could have been all-in on buying, but this team was not built to be an all-in seller.

Given the Cubs lack of tiebreak wins, I think 86 wins is probably the minimum that they’d have to do to get into the playoffs. There’s a chance they could get in at 84 or 85, but I think it’s likely they’d land in a tie there that they’d lose. They’re currently sitting at 64-65 right now with 33 games left to play. 22-11 gets them to 86-76.

Cubs have 2 more left vs. Miami, 6 vs Pittsburgh, 7 vs. Washington, 3 vs. the Yankees, 3 vs. the Dodgers, 3 vs. Oakland, 3 vs. Philly and 3 vs. Cincy left. If they get no sweeps, they would have to win every series left to get to 22-11.

It’s possible, but they have used up all margin for error at this point.

Reactions: Brian_Fantana
Given the Cubs lack of tiebreak wins, I think 86 wins is probably the minimum that they’d have to do to get into the playoffs. There’s a chance they could get in at 84 or 85, but I think it’s likely they’d land in a tie there that they’d lose. They’re currently sitting at 64-65 right now with 33 games left to play. 22-11 gets them to 86-76.

Cubs have 2 more left vs. Miami, 6 vs Pittsburgh, 7 vs. Washington, 3 vs. the Yankees, 3 vs. the Dodgers, 3 vs. Oakland, 3 vs. Philly and 3 vs. Cincy left. If they get no sweeps, they would have to win every series left to get to 22-11.

It’s possible, but they have used up all margin for error at this point.
That sounds about right. Still a sliver of hope. Just need to bring in a cardboard cutout

Reactions: hawkifann
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT