ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official Cubs 2024 Thread 🪦*****

Not to quibble, but he was a 1st round college bat. His biggest tool is the bat. He should be on a AA path given his age and experience. From what I have read there was tinkering to do with his swing, and that won't start until the Fall/Winter.
I'm just not too worried about this promotion. The Carolina league is noted for its parks that sap power, so this 6 game surge is impressive.
Yeah, I do mostly agree that this doesn’t change his trajectory much at all. It’s fun to watch, though.

Rumors are flying that Smith has been bumped up to South Bend. I’m meh on that. It’s a slight pitching upgrade for him to face, but there isn’t much season left.
It does put him on the path to potentially start in AA next spring. You’re right that it’s not hugely meaningful, but it’s progress and I’ll happily take progress over not.
It might be worth noting that the dude is from Florida and played baseball at Florida State. He probably hasn't played a lot of baseball in <60 degree weather. September baseball in the Midwest League will at least get him a little used to it. Can you imagine basically having no idea what it's like to be cold and then being sent to South Bend to play baseball in March?

It might be worth noting that the dude is from Florida and played baseball at Florida State. He probably hasn't played a lot of baseball in <60 degree weather. September baseball in the Midwest League will at least get him a little used to it. Can you imagine basically having no idea what it's like to be cold and then being sent to South Bend to play baseball in March?
I saw a documentary recently that during WWII, the Cubs (1943-44) and the White Sox (1943) both held spring training in French Lick, IN and the SOX then held spring training in 1944 in Terre Haute, IN.

I guess due to travel restrictions, MLB told every team to hold spring training east of the Mississippi River and north of the Mason Dixon line during those years.

I saw a documentary recently that during WWII, the Cubs (1943-44) and the White Sox (1943) both held spring training in French Lick, IN and the SOX then held spring training in 1944 in Terre Haute, IN.

I guess due to travel restrictions, MLB told every team to hold spring training east of the Mississippi River and north of the Mason Dixon line during those years.
Cubs were also supposed to be one of the first to put lights on the stadium, but gave up the materials to the war effort and 45 years later finally got back to it.

What's the deal with this? Are the Cubs trying to get under the luxury tax?
Most likely. Also has the added benefit of potentially giving Smyly a chance to pitch in the postseason again.

My understanding (I’m about 95% confident in this explanation) is that the Cubs put Smyly on “outright” waivers. That means he’ll go through waivers and if he’s claimed, the team getting him will take his contract as-is, pay the remainder of this season and have his team option/buyout choice for next year. That would free up roughly $1.5M in payroll for September and take the $2.5M buyout off the Cubs’ plate, which would likely reduce their CBT threshold by about $4M.

If he’s not claimed, “outright waivers” means the Cubs would outright him to a minor league assignment and as a player with more than 5 years MLB service time, he could refuse that assignment and become an immediate free agent. Because that would be his choice to refuse the assignment, it would void his remaining contract and he’d be available to freely negotiate with any team and the Cubs would not be on the hook for his remaining $1.5M + the buyout, thereby also saving $4M.

I’m 100% confident in the first paragraph and 95% sure on my explanation of outright waivers.

Tauchman and Wisdom could also be guys floated through waivers. Highly doubt Wisdom would get claimed, but Tauchman could be a cheap pickup for a team needing another bench bat down the stretch. Cubs would save a few hundred thousand on either guy if claimed.

Is Amaya just on a heater or can he be the long-term answer at C?
Too early to tell, but it’s worth noting that he was a serious MLB prospect. He was a consensus top 100 prospect 2019-2021 before too many injuries and too much lost development time left him falling behind. He only played in 63 games 2020-2022 between injuries and the lost COVID season, so if his underlying raw talent was properly assessed up front and he’s finally catching up on development time/reps, it’s possible that this is real. He’s still only 25.

Too early to tell, but it’s worth noting that he was a serious MLB prospect. He was a consensus top 100 prospect 2019-2021 before too many injuries and too much lost development time left him falling behind. He only played in 63 games 2020-2022 between injuries and the lost COVID season, so if his underlying raw talent was properly assessed up front and he’s finally catching up on development time/reps, it’s possible that this is real. He’s still only 25.
Consistently getting AB's helps too.

Most likely. Also has the added benefit of potentially giving Smyly a chance to pitch in the postseason again.

My understanding (I’m about 95% confident in this explanation) is that the Cubs put Smyly on “outright” waivers. That means he’ll go through waivers and if he’s claimed, the team getting him will take his contract as-is, pay the remainder of this season and have his team option/buyout choice for next year. That would free up roughly $1.5M in payroll for September and take the $2.5M buyout off the Cubs’ plate, which would likely reduce their CBT threshold by about $4M.

If he’s not claimed, “outright waivers” means the Cubs would outright him to a minor league assignment and as a player with more than 5 years MLB service time, he could refuse that assignment and become an immediate free agent. Because that would be his choice to refuse the assignment, it would void his remaining contract and he’d be available to freely negotiate with any team and the Cubs would not be on the hook for his remaining $1.5M + the buyout, thereby also saving $4M.

I’m 100% confident in the first paragraph and 95% sure on my explanation of outright waivers.
That was my thoughts as well and pretty sure your 2nd paragraph is also accurate, and obviously just a guess, but I assume he would opt out to chase the post-season. I'd be a little shocked though if he didn't get picked up. He has been a solid Cub and didn't raise any issues when moved to the BP, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs discussed this with him and took his decision under consideration.

That was my thoughts as well and pretty sure your 2nd paragraph is also accurate, and obviously just a guess, but I assume he would opt out to chase the post-season. I'd be a little shocked though if he didn't get picked up. He has been a solid Cub and didn't raise any issues when moved to the BP, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Cubs discussed this with him and took his decision under consideration.
Apparently I was wrong about the outright waivers. I still think that’s how it generally works, but apparently the team has a choice, given this report from a pretty reliable source. I do still think he’ll be claimed. He’s having a good season and he’s been big in the post-season before and several contenders need pitching help.

Reactions: Brian_Fantana
How in the hell do you get rid of a ball player like Drew Smyly but keep wannabe entertainers like Ian Happ and Seyia Suzuki.

What did Boog just say, 13 extra base hits in the last 13 innings?
Plotting The Simpsons GIF

Just what I was hoping for. Win the first two games, and the terrible Hendricks / Skenes match up tomorrow doesn't become as important.
Fingers crossed that the Pirates are now going to start limiting Skenes a little more tightly. No sense burning up that arm for a team pushing ten games under .500

Reactions: darylhawk
Just what I was hoping for. Win the first two games, and the terrible Hendricks / Skenes match up tomorrow doesn't become as important.
Fingers crossed that the Pirates are now going to start limiting Skenes a little more tightly. No sense burning up that arm for a team pushing ten games under .500
Given Pittsburgh's bullpen, if Hendricks can keep the Cubs within 2 runs after 6, there just might be a chance for the Cubs tomorrow.

Reactions: darylhawk
Cubs are gonna attempt it again, aren't they?

Finish with a big stretch towards the end in trying to secure a playoff spot, only to choke it away in the final 1-2 weeks.

I will be happy if they can do it this season, but after last, not gonna hold my breath.

Reactions: TheCainer
Cubs are gonna attempt it again, aren't they?

Finish with a big stretch towards the end in trying to secure a playoff spot, only to choke it away in the final 1-2 weeks.

I will be happy if they can do it this season, but after last, not gonna hold my breath.
If that happens, just like last year, the real choke will have happened in May (and this year, also in June).

Reactions: ClarindaA's
If that happens, just like last year, the real choke will have happened in May (and this year, also in June).
Stands to reason that it would be the Cubs to choke hard two times in a season, and one of them during crunch time - two seasons in a row*.

* possibly

eh-meh.gif

How in the hell do you get rid of a ball player like Drew Smyly but keep wannabe entertainers like Ian Happ and Seyia Suzuki.
I'm sorry you're so disappointed with Suzuki's >.920 OPS in August. You must be one hell of a baseball player. Oh, wait. My guess is that Suzuki and Happ are more successful at MLB baseball than you've ever been at anything in your entire life.

Anyone listening to the game right now?? That was one of the worst national anthem singings I’ve ever heard.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT