ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official IOWA at the B1G Tournament Games Thread*****

I am not familiar with PSU’s rotation. Do we like this development?

He's by far their best pitcher who has mostly pitched out of the bullpen. He has 20 appearances and has started 3 games, the most he's pitched is 5 innings against MSU and he gave up 3 runs. Season ERA is 3.28 in 46.2 innings, by far the best on the team (next is Morales with a 4.10 ERA). So PSU is coming at this game with their best, as they should.

He's by far their best pitcher who has mostly pitched out of the bullpen. He has 20 appearances and has started 3 games, the most he's pitched is 5 innings against MSU and he gave up 3 runs. Season ERA is 3.28 in 46.2 innings, by far the best on the team (next is Morales with a 4.10 ERA). So PSU is coming at this game with their best, as they should.

By numbers alone, he certainly seems to be their "best." Based on walk numbers, he appears to have good control. Will make Iowa earn their runs . . . which has proven to be problematic at times.

He threw 91 pitches in his 5 inning start against MSU but hasn't thrown more than 68 (68 one time; 67 two times) pitches in any other appearance. Primarily used as long relief.

Wouldn't surprise me if Iowa saw Mellott and Luensmann tomorrow as well.

Forecast does not look good...from lunch today through tomorrow afternoon there's at least a 60% chance of rain. As stated, don't start the game, get it suspended and drag throughout the day and into Thursday. That would push Mazur and staff into Thursday and less rest should we keep advancing..

I would prefer that they just cancel Wednesday and start things on Thursday and try to make up the ground for games on Friday and Saturday. Definitely don't want worst case where they start the game on Wednesday and can't get it in. End up burning the starting pitcher, which would harm Iowa a great deal.

I know nothing about Omaha but because the weather looks like it is going to create havoc tomorrow, could they play one of the brackets at a different venue for one day?

I know nothing about Omaha but because the weather looks like it is going to create havoc tomorrow, could they play one of the brackets at a different venue for one day?

Impractical and incredibly unfair. Every team travelled to Omaha yesterday and is settled in. Would be a logistical and practical nightmare to force 2-4 teams to travel to another location and then have to travel back.

Impractical and incredibly unfair. Every team travelled to Omaha yesterday and is settled in. Would be a logistical and practical nightmare to force 2-4 teams to travel to another location and then have to travel back.

I was asking if Omaha has another complex where 4 teams could play for one day.

If there is such a complex, the 4 teams would not have to leave the city.

Rain delays suck. If I were a player and if I were Rick Heller, I would want to get the games in sooner rather than later.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
I was asking if Omaha has another complex where 4 teams could play for one day.

If there is such a complex, the 4 teams would not have to leave the city.

Rain delays suck. If I were a player and if I were Rick Heller, I would want to get the games in sooner rather than later.
The Mavericks have a nice new field, but only seats 1500.

The Storm Chasers have a nice park that holds 9000, but it's miles away from downtown, in another county, in fact.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Just win, baby, and we dance.

FTiJomoXsAAlXvC

FTiJomoXEAcBNou

Rain has been falling here since lunchtime and I would be VERY surprised if we see any baseball tomorrow in Omaha, forecast (at least my local app) just updated to 80-90% rain chances most of day tomorrow with no letup in sight. Looks like a busy Thursday ahead at the ballpark!

• Sad
Rain has been falling here since lunchtime and I would be VERY surprised if we see any baseball tomorrow in Omaha, forecast (at least my local app) just updated to 80-90% rain chances most of day tomorrow with no letup in sight. Looks like a busy Thursday ahead at the ballpark!

So, Thur thru Sunday looks good?

I’m going to have a riveting day tomorrow in my hotel room.

• Love
So, Thur thru Sunday looks good?
Early a.m. rain chance but clearing after that. Fri/Sat/Sun all look good, heating up too.
Good weather also will bring lots of local Hawks, remember back to 2016 vs Ohio State Iowa brought about 8,000 Iowa fans on a Sunday to that title game, good times, place was roaring!

Before game there were Iowa fans lined up for a block or two by the ticket windows, most people most likely missed the first inning or two. Concession lines were crazy too, Iowa demand completely overwhelmed the staff that day. Still can hear an I-O-W-A chant echoing through the concourse as we attempted a comeback!

In looking at the brackets, if they can get Game 1 and Game 2 in today, isn’t it likely that Thursday will be Games 3, 4, 5 and 7 (skipping Game 6) and Friday would be Games 6, 8, 9 and 10? By skipping Game 6 until Friday, no team in bottom half of bracket would play twice on Thursday. No team would have to play twice in one day until possibly Friday.

EDIT: If they flip games around, I’d hope that they play Game 7 (winners of Game 1 and 2) as scheduled (5 pm on Thursday) and play Game 5 (losers of Game 1 and 2) as the late game. No reason to reward the losers of Game 1 and 2 with a better time slot.

Would also open the door to a rest day on Thursday for Iowa if it was fortunate enough to win its first two games.

Last edited:
In looking at the brackets, if they can get Game 1 and Game 2 in today, isn’t it likely that Thursday will be Games 3, 4, 5 and 7 (skipping Game 6) and Friday would be Games 6, 8, 9 and 10? By skipping Game 6 until Friday, no team in bottom half of bracket would play twice on Thursday. No team would have to play twice in one day until possibly Friday.

EDIT: If they flip games around, I’d hope that they play Game 7 (winners of Game 1 and 2) as scheduled (5 pm on Thursday) and play Game 5 (losers of Game 1 and 2) as the late game. No reason to reward the losers of Game 1 and 2 with a better time slot.

Would also open the door to a rest day on Thursday for Iowa if it was fortunate enough to win its first two games.
They didn't flip 6 and 7.

They didn't flip 6 and 7.

Well … if Games 1 and 2 are played today, then two teams in the bottom bracket (losers of Games 3 and 4 will be playing a second game. Either Maryland or Indiana will be playing at 9 am and 9 pm. Tough road for loser of that match-up. Long day. Real long day.

A little short-sighted in my opinion. No harm in flipping Games 6 and 7, keeping Game 7 as scheduled for 5 pm and moving Game 5 to 9 pm.

If Iowa were to win today (if played), they’d play Friday morning at 9 am.

Well … if Games 1 and 2 are played today, then two teams in the bottom bracket (losers of Games 3 and 4 will be playing a second game. Either Maryland or Indiana will be playing at 9 am and 9 pm. Tough road for loser of that match-up. Long day. Real long day.

A little short-sighted in my opinion. No harm in flipping Games 6 and 7, keeping Game 7 as scheduled for 5 pm and moving Game 5 to 9 pm.

If Iowa were to win today (if played), they’d play Friday morning at 9 am.
Iowa did that in 2019 because their second game was rained out. Played Nebraska at 10am Friday and lost. Had to turn around and play Minnesota at 9pm Friday. They also lost.

If schedule changes happen again (and look likely IMO given the weather here today) would that push some games into Sunday perhaps? This day is normally reserved for the Championship Game at 1 p.m. however there is some flex there perhaps. Additional costs for teams of course but might be an option, feel bad for traveling fans yesterday/today. Thursday a.m. has some rain chances however it clears out and warms up toward the afternoon.

The Mavericks have a nice new field, but only seats 1500.

The Storm Chasers have a nice park that holds 9000, but it's miles away from downtown, in another county, in fact.

I still think the B1G should have contingency plans for weather.

For a couple days now everyone knew today's weather was going to be lousy.

Based on what people have posted above, they could have gotten 2 or 3 games played of today's 4 game schedule at 9 am if they had a plan to also use the Mavericks' ball park and the Storm Chasers' ball park.

But the B1G seldom has good plans. Heck, last year they had no plan and simply canceled the B1G Tourney.

The advantages of having a weather contingency plan where you utilize more than 1 ball park when needed (like today):

(1) This year, based on the predicted weather, every team is still guaranteed at least 1 game at the main facility (Charles Schwab Field, formerly TD Ameritrade Park).

(2) You get the games in sooner rather than later

(3) In today's example, you get in 50% or 75% of the 4 scheduled ball games

Would it cost more to have such a plan in place? Sure! But the B1G is loaded with cash & it's time the conference starts taking baseball more seriously, imo.

Last edited:
I still think the B1G should have contingency plans for weather.

For a couple days now everyone knew today's weather was going to be lousy.

Based on what people have posted above, they could have gotten 2 or 3 games played of today's 4 game schedule at 9 am if they had a plan to also use the Mavericks' ball park and the Storm Chasers' ball park.

But the B1G seldom has good plans. Heck, last year they had no plan and simply canceled the B1G Tourney.

The advantages of having a weather contingency plan where you utilize more than 1 ball park when needed (like today):

(1) This year, every team is still guaranteed at least 1 game at the main facility (Charles Schwab Field, formerly TD Ameritrade Park).

(2) You get the games in sooner rather than later

(3) In today's example, you get in 50% or 75% of the scheduled ball games
Yeah, gotta wonder if TV money and truck setup, etc at these other locations come into play and the economics don't work. Point taken though you have to have to a single or multi day contingency in place. Best case I have now is that Sunday is now a full slate of games instead of just a 1 p.m. championship game. Well...back to the RPI metrics for tonight!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT