ADVERTISEMENT

Officiating

SmartAggressive

All-Conference
Dec 1, 2008
It pains me to say it, but Angel did a fine job tonight with RBY/Fix. Curt Frost, who I've felt for years is best official in NCAA, did a poor job in Brooks/Hidlay match.

But whoever the official was in Spencer's match was atrocious! Grow a pair and call stalling! My expectations are pretty low for NCAA finals since nearly all the refs swallow their whistles, but holy crap that was terrible. Loved when Lee had the lead in third and Courtney was still running away and Yoda just stood in center and was like "I ain't gotta chase you no more b****."

I was surprised Spencer didn’t benefit from more stalling calls the way it was being called in the other finals matches. It was blatantly obvious and should’ve resulted in a DQ. Then again, I should never be surprised by inconsistent refs in wrestling.

Absolutely unacceptable reffing in Spencer's match. I've seen middle schoolers called for stalling faster. That ref has no business ever officiating a division 1 match.

Absolutely unacceptable reffing in Spencer's match. I've seen middle schoolers called for stalling faster. That ref has no business ever officiating a division 1 match.

This can't be stressed enough. The officials almost cost Spencer a championship. The ASU wrestler should have been disqualified. Backing up, fleeing the mat, and jumping whistles for 7 minutes - and got away with it.

To a lesser extend, Griffith and Storocci do not engage. Backing up is 90% of their defense.

Is their a more poorly officiated sport than D1 wrestling? I can't think of one.

I thought 125 was poorly ref’d on the feet. Immediately was backing up to the edge. Really thought there should have been more calls. I know reffing is tough but I thought this was pretty straightforward easy to see what was going on.

Ref did a good job of cautions on starts. One call on us three on opponent. Think that’s correct.

The officiating was horrible in the Brooks final. And how tf was that not nearfall points?
It was horrible, fleeing the mat from Brooks plus the takedown. Brooks won on a bs stalling call. There was no nearfall because Hidley was in control and he wasn’t held for a two count

What bothers me is how different officiating crews call a match so differently. It seems like in basketball and football different sets of officiating crew tend to make / miss calls in a similar manner. They pizz off both sides. If Spencer’s opponent would have at least danced around in bounds I could have cut the refs some slack. But that was so flagrant.

Hidlay should've been hit earlier and Brooks should've been hit when he dove off mat to avoid takedown.
Agree, if you agree that Eierman should've been hit when he dove off the mat to avoid the takedown near the end of regulation against Lee.

Rewatched Lee Championship match and Courtney only went forward 2 times from a neutral position and both times were trying to anticipate the whistle. Otherwise, he retreated faster than Rommel in WWII only to suffer the same outcome.

Courtney wrestled near the boundary all night so he had a quick escape plan. Shame on officials for only making the call once. Loved how Courtney was backing up and Lee just stood his ground in the middle of the mat.

I thought 125 was poorly ref’d on the feet. Immediately was backing up to the edge. Really thought there should have been more calls. I know reffing is tough but I thought this was pretty straightforward easy to see what was going on.

Ref did a good job of cautions on starts. One call on us three on opponent. Think that’s correct.

Disagree. He whiffed on that, too. He allowed Courtney to hop in and out of a restart and at least one other time Courtney was purposefully not in center on one. (Though I have to admit I’m not completely clear on that rule.)

Disagree. He whiffed on that, too. He allowed Courtney to hop in and out of a restart and at least one other time Courtney was purposefully not in center on one. (Though I have to admit I’m not completely clear on that rule.)
good catch, forgot about that one. And it was obvious.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT