ADVERTISEMENT

******OFFIICIAL Uruguay v. USA Thread*******

This US team wouldn't have even qualified for the Euro 24. Not on par with the rest of the world. Only if we would pay actual American soccer players instead of them going overseas. Only good players in MLS are Euro squads washups past their prime.

• Haha
Reactions: HunkDronkey
This US team wouldn't have even qualified for the Euro 24. Not on par with the rest of the world. Only if we would pay actual American soccer players instead of them going overseas. Only good players in MLS are Euro squads washups past their prime.
Ummm, guess which two CONCACAF squads have the most MLS capped players? I’ll give you a hint: both are in the quarterfinals.

Time to find a better reason.

EDIT: Uruguay played two MLS players as well tonight and beat us. It’s not our league, it’s our federation and our coach.

Last edited:
Sad part is, I LIKED the game they played in the first half. They consistently pushed the pace and had a number of good opportunities. Uruguay slowed the game down and the 2nd half and the US made no adjustments.

From your lips to Crocker's ears. GB coached like a guy just throwing crap against the wall and hoping something worked.
They didn't score in the first half which made it easy for Uruguay to screw up the game plan. It all comes back to not being able to finish.

Reactions: sober_teacher
The ref was bought. The ****er wouldn’t even shake Pulisic’s hand after the game.
Which I just don't get. Why can't south american refs just be professional? CONCACAF was able to get this somewhat under control. Maybe it's because many of them ref in MLS but it's not hard. CONMEBOL, nothing but amateur hour.

Uruguay didn't even need help from the refs tonight. The US couldn't even score when they had an open net tonight.

Sad part is, I LIKED the game they played in the first half. They consistently pushed the pace and had a number of good opportunities. Uruguay slowed the game down and the 2nd half and the US made no adjustments.

From your lips to Crocker's ears. GB coached like a guy just throwing crap against the wall and hoping something worked.

I am screaming this from the rooftops! Crocker MUST go. He is just as at fault.

Which I just don't get. Why can't south american refs just be professional? CONCACAF was able to get this somewhat under control. Maybe it's because many of them ref in MLS but it's not hard. CONMEBOL, nothing but amateur hour.

Uruguay didn't even need help from the refs tonight. The US couldn't even score when they had an open net tonight.
Some can’t because they are paid. It’s the logical answer.

Some can’t because they are paid. It’s the logical answer.
I hope they are paid. That's the entire idea of being a professional referee. If CONMEBOL isn't paying them enough to keep them safe from tampering, then they need to fix it. You can't take that federation seriously until they do something about that. Hell, if we can get central American refs to call a decent game South America can fricken do it.

Pulisic is the only one with any dynamism at all.

I watched a bunch of Blackhawks game this season and it’s the same thing - one really stellar player surrounded by a pile of dogshit.
Yep, and he isn’t the best player on the pitch most games.

I hope they are paid. That's the entire idea of being a professional referee. If CONMEBOL isn't paying them enough to keep them safe from tampering, then they need to fix it. You can't take that federation seriously until they do something about that. Hell, if we can get central American refs to call a decent game South America can fricken do it.
I meant nefarious payments. I think the refs were on the take. That was not an evenly called game.

I have a quick question but will preface by saying I know absolutely nothing about soccer- I watched from about the 60th minute to the 85th minute. My question is what the USA offensive strategy was in the 2nd half? All I seemed to see was a bunch of guys trying to head the ball forward which typically ended with the ball in URO hands. I made the comment to the no pic that USA was playing headball and not football. Am I wrong here or is that a "strategy"?

Also, agree that the URO goal was offside. However, on the initial kick why did the goalie block the shot and not catch the shot? Is that not allowed?

I admit I am a moran about soccer and not trying to pylon. TIA

Yeah it looked like Pulisic was telling them to go celebrate with Uruguay as he approached them.

Ref was terrible and not sure how that goal wasnt ruled offsides… it was very clear on replay. That said, this team didn’t look great against Bolivia who was probably the worst team in the tournament and couldn’t score goals. Yes they looked better in the first half against Uruguay but that isn’t enough.

They should have never brought Berhalter back. This move was one of the biggest mistakes the USSF has ever made. Took them a year and spent $1 million on a search firm to bring this guy back. He’ll, the interim coach looked better than Berhalter.

The US needs to write a check for a high-level coach to come in for the next two years and see what the results are. They cannot be any worse. This team is too comfortable and lacks a killer instinct. They have talent but need 1-2 dogs and 1 player that strikes fear into opponents… and I don’t see that guy coming anytime soon.

I have a quick question but will preface by saying I know absolutely nothing about soccer- I watched from about the 60th minute to the 85th minute. My question is what the USA offensive strategy was in the 2nd half? All I seemed to see was a bunch of guys trying to head the ball forward which typically ended with the ball in URO hands. I made the comment to the no pic that USA was playing headball and not football. Am I wrong here or is that a "strategy"?

Also, agree that the URO goal was offside. However, on the initial kick why did the goalie block the shot and not catch the shot? Is that not allowed?

By the time you were watching the strategy had really turned into pressing all of the midfield forward and trying to skip the midfield and boom it from defense to offense because we needed bodies in the box.
So yes we saw several long headers, thigh balls, anything to advance the ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: sober_teacher

The heading of the ball is what it is… I’d have preferred on some of those the player had the skill and confidence to control the ball with his feet and create out of that vs just heading the ball and hoping your guy gets to it. And Turner could have caught it, but he didn’t get a hand on it or didn’t have the confidence to try. He’s just ok, but not as good as we’ve had in the past. He sucks with ball at his feet and just lacks confidence or quality which is why he doesn’t play much overseas.

He sucks with ball at his feet and just lacks confidence or quality which is why he doesn’t play much overseas.

Yep. He semi-panics anytime he gets pressure with the ball at his feet.

He’s a “meh” keeper though. US has been spoiled with some damn good ones in the past.

Thanks for the replies. Just thought the headers were odd but I don't know anything about the game.

CSB - In 93 (or 94) I was at a convention in Orlando during WC, our hotel was 80% conventioneers, the rest Ireland football fans. I stayed up a couple of nights partying with some of those fans. Holy crap could they put away the beer.

They didn't score in the first half which made it easy for Uruguay to screw up the game plan. It all comes back to not being able to finish.
A consistent theme under GB is that they seem to start thinking too much as they get close to goal, trying to get that perfect shot, when they’re fairly good at creating the initial chance. Baloguns goals against Panama and Bolivia came when he didn’t have time to think and he just put the shot on goal.
I'll add this with Turner, he is good, not great.

When I was growing up we had ****ing stud Keepers. Meola, Keller, Friedel, Timmy, in that department, we have regressed.
Agreed - in fairness to Turner, that list you gave contains ELITE keepers, and being a notch or two below that isn’t anything to sneer at.

GB generally prefers a methodical attack normally, which doesn’t play to the players strengths imo, and they got increasingly desperate with fewer ideas moving forward.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT