ADVERTISEMENT

O'Hare Airport and Butch O'Hare

rchawk

HR Legend
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
Chicago, Illinois
It may surprise some that the airport isn't named after a politician. Butch O'Hare was the US Navy's first ace. An old F4F Wildcat, the same type he flew, is in Terminal 2. I see it because I usually fly United (not a plug). It's a big plane.

Butch O'Hare's story is very interesting. Like many of his generation it ended too soon.

His squadron's nickname was "Felix the Cat," which I find amusing for some reason.

This post was edited on 3/13 8:54 PM by rchawk

Edward O'Hare

Reactions: GOHOX69
It may surprise some that the airport isn't named after a politician. Butch O'Hare was the US Navy's first ace. An old F4F Wildcat, the same type he flew, is in Terminal 2. I see it because I usually fly United (not a plug). It's a big plane.

Butch O'Hare's story is very interesting. Like many of his generation it ended too soon.

His squadron's nickname was "Felix the Cat," which I find amusing for some reason.

Edward O'Hare
There is a F4F Wildcat hanging in one of the terminals, or there was the last time I was there.

There is a F4F Wildcat hanging in one of the terminals, or there was the last time I was there.
An old F4F Wildcat, the same type he flew, is in Terminal 2. I see it because I usually fly United (not a plug). It's a big plane.

Edward O'Hare

Reactions: NCHawk5 and rchawk
Besse Coleman of Besse Coleman drive, where O'hare is, was a famous female black aviator. She died doing a loop in her biplane because she wasn't chained to the aircraft floor and believe it or not fell out of her aircraft when it was inverted.

Still is in the c concourse next to the sushi restaurant.
lucas80 said:
rchawk said:
An old F4F Wildcat, the same type he flew, is in Terminal 2. I see it because I usually fly United (not a plug). It's a big plane.

AgedWarpedIndri-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: NCHawk5 and GOHOX69
Besse Coleman of Besse Coleman drive, where O'hare is, was a famous female black aviator. She died doing a loop in her biplane because she wasn't chained to the aircraft floor and believe it or not fell out of her aircraft when it was inverted.
My usual morbid curiosity drove me to fact check this. Sounds like while she did die on impact after being thrown from a plane, it wasn’t during a planned stunt loop. Rather, her plane was already in a death spiral due to a wrench jamming the controls(!). So she was a goner whether she stayed belted in or deplaned early.

My usual morbid curiosity drove me to fact check this. Sounds like while she did die on impact after being thrown from a plane, it wasn’t during a planned stunt loop. Rather, her plane was already in a death spiral due to a wrench jamming the controls(!). So she was a goner whether she stayed belted in or deplaned early.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT