ADVERTISEMENT

David Brooks and the $78 airport meal the internet is talking about

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
As David Brooks was in the middle of a meal this week at Newark Liberty International Airport, the New York Times columnist was so perplexed by the price of his dinner that he took it as a sign of hard times in the U.S. economy. Brooks then snapped a photo of the barely touched burger and crinkle-cut fries that were divided by a bed of lettuce, tomato and empty ketchup packets, with what appeared to be a whiskey on the rocks.

Never ask what’s for dinner again. Get one quick recipe in your inbox Monday through Thursday to inspire delicious meals.

“This meal just cost me $78 at Newark Airport,” he wrote Wednesday on X, formerly known as Twitter. “This is why Americans think the economy is terrible.”

What was seemingly an everyday complaint about the cost of airport food quickly evolved into a viral talker that’s been viewed more 34 million times on the platform as of early Friday. Some criticized Brooks for not specifying how a burger and fries goes for about $17 or $18 at the airport restaurant, and how the liquor probably made up the majority of his tab. Many turned the conservative columnist’s post into the latest meme.

While Brooks did not name the restaurant, internet sleuths figured out that he was dining at 1911 Smoke House Barbeque, a Trenton-based restaurant that opened a location in Terminal A of the airport earlier this year. The restaurant — whose slogan is “You can’t beat our meat” — confirmed on Facebook that Brooks had eaten at the Newark Airport location, saying that the journalist had misled his more than 253,000 X followers by not pointing out how his drink was most of his bill. X has also added a note to Brooks’s post to give users more context on the most talked-about airport meal in recent memory.

“Bar tab was almost 80% and he’s complaining about the cost of his meal,” the restaurant wrote. “Keep drinking buddy — we get paid off everything.”
Maurice Hallett, the owner of 1911 Smoke House Barbeque, told The Washington Post that his corporate partners at SSP America, a food travel company, had advised him to not talk about the situation and he “agreed not to say anymore about the Newark location.” But Hallett said the response to the post and defense of his restaurant has been “incredible.”
“I am very thankful for the support of small businesses because small businesses still need support,” said Hallett, 49, of Nashville. “It’s lovely to see how 40 million people had our back.”

Brooks, who has not publicly responded or posted to social media since Wednesday, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Friday morning. A Times spokesperson declined to comment. SSP America spokesperson Lana Cramer said in a statement that the company was “disappointed to see Mr. Brooks’ tweet.”

“We always strive to deliver a good meal and great service, and we hope he’ll experience that the next time he eats at one of our restaurants,” Cramer said. “We wish him safe future travels.”
The high cost of airport food has been a consistent complaint for travelers for years. But airports have made an effort in recent years to reimagine the food options that people should have while traveling, including restaurants from classic hometown institutions and notable chefs from the cities they’re in.
The best restaurants in America’s busiest airports
In New York, officials announced in 2022 that they were cracking down on high prices for food and drinks at the region’s airports, saying that vendors can’t charge more than “street prices,” or what people would pay outside the airport, plus 10 percent. The issue gained attention after a traveler posted a photo of a drink menu at New York’s LaGuardia Airport that featured a vendor selling a Samuel Adams Summer Ale draft for $27.85.

When Hallett left his previous job at General Motors after 19 years, he wanted to work in a field far away from the rigid ways of corporate life. He wanted to barbecue.

In 2015, he and his brother, Reggie, found the biggest smoker they could find, affectionately naming it “Boss Hogg.” The brothers opened up the restaurant along Trenton’s Front Street and are opening another location in Willingboro, N.J., next month.
“That was my exit plan from corporate America: smoking, eating and drinking,” Hallett said.
Before this week, the restaurant had received regional attention from food bloggers when he introduced a “C-Rock Special” to his menu, in honor of comedian Chris Rock’s role in the 1988 movie “I’m Gonna Git You Sucka.” Rock’s character in the film asks for one rib and a sip of Coke, and Hallett has made that exact combo available on his menu for $2.15.

But when Hallett initially saw Brooks’s post, the restaurant owner wondered where the columnist was eating. It didn’t take him long to realize the Brooks was talking about 1911 Smoke House Barbeque.
Others did, too, unleashing a wave of memes based on Brooks’s two-sentence post. Some of the more amusing takes on Brooks’s post included a photo of Bruce Springsteen pointing at a hot dog, and a clip of comedian Tim Robinson ordering enough food to feed a couple of football teams in the Netflix series “I Think You Should Leave.”

While Hallett said he could not go into detail about Brooks’s criticism surrounding the price, the restaurateur made it clear that the price for a burger is similar to that of other airport establishments.

“Everybody knows it’s par for the course,” Hallett said.
The restaurant has capitalized on the attention of the viral post, boasting on Facebook: “We’re the topic of America right now!” Hallett has also made a new meal available to customers: the “D Brooks Special.” Instead of paying $78, customers can get a burger, fries and a double shot of whiskey for $17.78.

“Bar tab was almost 80% and he’s complaining about the cost of his meal,” the restaurant wrote.

A shot of whiskey costs $60?
Given his poor judgement in the Tweet, I’m gonna go out on a limb and say this was either not the first whiskey on his tab or he ordered some very rare ultra premium bourbon.

The fact airport restaurants gouge you because you are a captive audience is neither an indication of the economy at large nor new news.

This was a hacky tweet by Brooks and I am typically a fan.
Yeah, he's usually a pretty good guy, a sane conservative who despises what the Republican Party has become, and considers himself to be on the right wing fringe of the Democratic Party.

F6l0BS5WkAA3X0I

The last time I had a meal at an airport restaurant, a club sandwich and one draft domestic beer rang up a bill of $35 before tip.

Pretty normal. Easy to run up a hundred on a bill if you have a few hours on a layover. Beer prices basically the same as a concert or game.

Reactions: torbee
Pointing to a single thing and commenting on it by speaking for all Americans should carry a fine large enough to eat and drink at an airport for a week.

Reactions: artradley
If David Brooks is complaining about a bar bill at an airport…shame on him!

Maybe David’s saws hopping a plane to attend a football game at Kinnick sox he could complain about the price of those $8-9 cans of beer sold there!

I love the “fans” who buy their beer by the handfuls, make multiple trips to the concession stand during thre game and complain thatt beer prices are to high!

Maybe the exorbitant beer prices are such because the stadium will offer you the service…..they just don’t want you to get fully intoxed watching a football game?

If David Brooks is complaining about a bar bill at an airport…shame on him!

Maybe David’s saws hopping a plane to attend a football game at Kinnick sox he could complain about the price of those $8-9 cans of beer sold there!

I love the “fans” who buy their beer by the handfuls, make multiple trips to the concession stand during thre game and complain thatt beer prices are to high!

Maybe the exorbitant beer prices are such because the stadium will offer you the service…..they just don’t want you to get fully intoxed watching a football game?

That's a pretty lame excuse for price gouging in a monopoly situation, dude.

Bullshit. If you wanna drink beer…..go to a bar or stat the hell home! There are liability issues too. If you go to a stadium to watch a sporting event….watch the sporting event.

So if I only want ONE beer, I should pay through the nose to ensure I don't order a second one?

So if I only want ONE beer, I should pay through the nose to ensure I don't order a second one?
Yep…..if nothing else but to remind you why you are attending the game…..If you wanna drink, go to a bar……I dont think I should have to put up with the bullshit of folks around me getting drunk and shitfaced when attending a sporting event. Have a beer…I have no problem with it.

Yep…..if nothing else but to remind you why you are attending the game…..If you wanna drink, go to a bar……I dont think I should have to put up with the bullshit of folks around me getting drunk and shitfaced when attending a sporting event. Have a beer…I have no problem with it.

Modern stadiums have bars.

Food‘s always been overpriced (compared to local market) at every “large” airport. Don’t know why Brooks see’s this as a newsflash now, other than to make it political. Part of it is asking labor to drive sometimes long distances, and deal with security in most cases, higher per square foot leases, etc.

Most people grab food before or after their flight(s). But if Brooks absolutely has to eat while traveling, but can’t afford it, he should eat out of the vending machine at his local Greyhound Station. Brooks would find a Snickers bar is double the price than what it could be purchased for at his local Dollar General.

Last edited:
Yep. And BIG prices, too. Again… to accommodate tge customer not there to let them get drunk.
Plus think about it a bit……sporting events, high emotions and alcohol…… what could possibly go wrong?

It's not about discouraging drinking.

Just stop....

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT