ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State opened as 23 point favorite vs IOWA. As of Thursday Morning: tOSU -20; O/U 44.5

if we continue to give up the long pass plays, it will be a long day
Howard is a short to intermediate passer, and OSU has been playing that game. He's not know for the long ball at all.

OSU had 4 +20 plays vs MSU. Longest was a 37 yard run by Henderson.

MSU, already weak on the OL, was down two starters in the game and rolled out a TF at right tackle because they had to slide the RT over to guard. It worked on the first O play of the game for them with a 19 yard run. Then the game wore on... LOL

MSU was 129th in turnover margin heading into the game, and dropped 3 more TOs (1-3 margin for the game). They also dropped a simple interception opportunity in the end zone, and OSU scored on the next play.

Context is important.

Iowa needs to play clean, and they have been doing that the past few games.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF
Is that all! Lock of the week and the over too, OSU will score 45 or more themselves.

I think Iowa is going to surprise people against OSU. I won’t predict a win but I think the game is going to be closer than most think.
Certainly think it has the potential to be. They have yet to see a running game like Iowa’s. The first time playing a physical game in a season can be jarring to any team. Need the pass pro to hold up when we actually try to pass. That’s my biggest concern.

Reactions: SI_NYC
Some of the shit they do is just amazing. This halftime show vs Iowa was one for the ages.

This was but one of their wembley stadium “gimmicks” from 3-4 years ago…. A cousin of mine ( Buckeye season tix holder) told us a couple of years ago when the Iowa band performed at The Shoe, it represented itself very well and the performance was greatly appreciated by tOSU faithful.

(I’m one who gives credit where it’s due and tOSU band is definitely one of the best.)

If my memory serves me correctly Iowa always comes out very sluggish after bye weeks and really struggles with getting the damned play calls in. Not sure whether the new OC and in-helmet communications will rectify that, but I’d be inclined to take OSU and give the points.

Is there a difference between week 2 and week 5 with a new offense? And going against a top 5 DC in week 2?

Just sayin'.

;)
Which Top 5 DC did Iowa face in week 2? It sure wasn’t Heacock. I searched numerous sites and didn’t find a single one that listed him in their Top 10, much less Top 5.

Just sayin’.
;)

Just be respectable Iowa. Stay within 2 TDs … which I think we can. OSU will sell its soul to stop our running game and force Cade to pass. KJ may get humbled in this game and if we don’t have some semblance of a passing game … ugh

Reactions: Garzatough85
There is no better college marching band than TBDBITL… and their “gimmicks” are their routines. For your own knowledge….”YouTube” tOSU band at Wembley Stadium.. and get back to me.
No one “takes the field” pregame as impressively as the Buckeyes marching band. Plus, in all the years they have performed “script Ohio”…they haven’t misspelled it yet!
I am aware of their ways. Not my cup of tea. I can respect their execution. Most of the time the HMB can't make a straight line. Just saying I wouldn't rank tofu's as #1.

ISU was missing what…their top 3 linebackers?…and that didn’t help the Hawks.

Just sayin’.
Iowa did not lose to Iowa State because of State's LB play.

tOSU has only allowed 3 points in the second half this season. The last two games Knowles has been pretty bland the first half & then makes adjustments at halftime. Neither Marshall nor MSU crossed the 50 in the second half. The defense has been pretty good in the first half, only 24 points, but has been completely shutdown in the second.

I saw a lot of posters mention the WRs but you don't seem concerned about Judkins & Henderson?

tOSU has only allowed 3 points in the second half this season. The last two games Knowles has been pretty bland the first half & then makes adjustments at halftime. Neither Marshall nor MSU crossed the 50 in the second half. The defense has been pretty good in the first half, only 24 points, but has been completely shutdown in the second.

I saw a lot of posters mention the WRs but you don't seem concerned about Judkins & Henderson?
Yeah, a few days back, I was thinking that it just feels like several teams this year are slow playing it in the beginning of the season. USC, OSU, Iowa just to name a few seem to get a whole lot better in the second half. The thing is they are not getting better out of desperation either. I mean it's not like they are going into half time down by 14 and then come out on fire. They are all keeping it close until half and then coming out and playing much better. I would say USC is doing it a little less as they are allowing more in the first half, but they are cleaning it up up both sides of the ball in the second half and playing better. I think The Hawks are the ones who are starting to worry people, because when they are hitting on all cylinders, they certainly look like a top 10 team and could go toe to toe with anyone. (and so far they have done it with mostly just the ground game, which makes it even more impressive. Not like they are in desperation mode and chucking it all over the place and just getting lucky they are not getting picked off. Or like in the SEC where defenders just bump into the ball carrier and he goes for 75 yards after the whole defense bumped into him, shook his hand and let him on his way.)

Last edited:
I would say they outsmarted themselves trying to pass when the run game was working perfectly fine by itself.

Losing at home 20-19 to now #16 ranked Clown U was embarrassing & is gonna haunt this Iowa team

These two FIRST AND GOAL situations in the 1st half where Iowa settled for a FG were killers.

Instead of being up 21-0 at halftime, Iowa was up just 13-0.

(1) At the start of the 2nd Qtr, with Iowa up 7-0, Iowa had 1st & Goal at the Clown U 1-yd line. On 1st down, Moulton lost 3 yds. Cade, on 2nd and 3rd down, threw incomplete and on 4th and goal from the 4, Iowa settled for a 23 yd FG and a 10-0 lead.

(2) With 1:30 left in the 2nd Qtr, Iowa had 1st & Goal at the Clown U 3-yd line. On 1st down, Cade threw incomplete. On 2nd down, Leshon ran for no gain. On 3rd down, Cade threw incomplete. On 4th and goal from the 3, Iowa settled for a 21 yd FG and a 13-0 lead.

Reactions: BonzoFury
Losing at home 20-19 to now #16 ranked Clown U was embarrassing & is gonna haunt this Iowa team

These two FIRST AND GOAL situations in the 1st half where Iowa settled for a FG were killers.

(1) At the start of the 2nd Qtr, with Iowa up 7-0, Iowa had 1st & Goal at the Clown U 1-yd line. On 1st down, Moulton lost 3 yds. Cade, on 2nd and 3rd down, threw incomplete and on 4th and goal from the 4, Iowa settled for a 23 yd FG and a 10-0 lead.

(2) With 1:30 left in the 2nd Qtr, Iowa had 1st & Goal at the Clown U 3-yd line. On 1st down, Cade threw incomplete. On 2nd down, Leshon ran for no gain. On 3rd down, Cade threw incomplete. On 4th and goal from the 3, Iowa settled for a 21 yd FG and a 13-0 lead.

Brutal. Its inexplicable that far and away the best weapon that the Iowa offense has had so far this year wasn't given the ball in either one of those situations.

Moulton should not have been our back there. Jazz was still hurt and recovering or maybe he would have been the guy there.

heck, QB sneak it 4 times in a row to get the 1 yard and then the 3 yards ;)
I remember those Stanley Sneaks from 5 years ago. Needed a yard on 4th and short? He was good for SIX.

The dude was a statue, but had a rocket launcher for an arm. If he could throw those deep balls with just a teeny bit more accuracy, he could have been Iowa's best QB since Long.

Reactions: TXHCHawk

It's not going to haunt this team. It was early in the year for one thing, ISU is proving to be a pretty good team for another. I mean if these early season non con games haunt teams, then you would never see any Michigan vs Texas or OSU vs ND or any bigger time games, because nobody would want to take the chance of it ruining their entire season. So there has to be some taking early season non con games with a grain of salt. Now if the Hawks run the table and win the NC, then I would say yeah, some people might be like we were 1 yard from being completely perfect.

Last edited:

All of this

This will come back to haunt Iowa for the rest of the year. They could have just went 3 QB sneaks even with CM and probably scored.

Reactions: Garzatough85
OSU looks very strong but every year these types of teams have a down game against a lessor opponent. I can see it happening this week based on nothing other than it happens .

They have had a total of 3 conference losses since Ryan Day has been coach. All of them to Michigan in the last 3 seasons. Other than those they have run the table in the conference.

• Wow
Reactions: Franisdaman
Another kinda crazy stat, during Urban Meyer's tenure at Ohio State which spanned 7 years, the Bucks only had 4 conference losses total with max of 1 in any season. They were losses to Mich State, Penn State, Iowa and Purdue. He never lost to Michigan.

So in the last 12 years Ohio State has had a whopping total of 7 conference losses.

Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT