ADVERTISEMENT

Ohtani to Dodgers for 700 million

I haven’t watched baseball in a long time. Are baseball teams this financially successful that they can pay out contracts like this? Seems insane even for a generational talent but maybe they make more than I thought.

I haven’t watched baseball in a long time. Are baseball teams this financially successful that they can pay out contracts like this? Seems insane even for a generational talent but maybe they make more than I thought.
-In 2023, the Los Angeles Dodgers had an estimated value of 4.8 billion U.S. dollars. In March 2012, a group (Guggenheim Baseball Management) including former Los Angeles Lakers star Magic Johnson agreed to buy the Los Angeles Dodgers franchise for two billion U.S. dollars.

Dodgers print money with that franchise. They own everything around the ballpark. Also the large TV market money plus he is a foreign player Superstar. Japanese Michael Jordan. They are probably the only franchise that can do a deal like this.

Even if he never pitches again he will generate enough money to justify the contract. He's a merchandising and marketing machine. Dodgers gear and streaming rights in Japan just got very valuable.

Don’t count on him to pitch much. He’s averaged around 60 inngs a year and blown his arm out twice already. So on that end a lot of risk. But from a marketing prospective it was probably a 6 in. putt

Reactions: NoleinATL
For a guy no one’s sure will ever pitch the same, if at all, again?! Unreal.

Then again, you’re seeing all the eyeballs and butts in the seats a guy like him will bring both home and away.

Reactions: LuteHawk
If Ohtani never pitches again due to elbow surgery, then he
hopefully has 10 years as a DH. He is only worth the 700
million because he will put fans in the stands. No player is
really worth that much money as a player on the baseball
field. The Dodgers want to sell tickets to their home games.

I can only assume there are contingencies based on how often he pitches. He is a great hitter but two elbow surgeries in 6 years makes his ability to pitch long term problematic which decreases his double position value.

670 told me the other day that he's worth 30 mil a year before his actual baseball worth is factored in

Reactions: Fan In Black
I’m a Dodgers fan and I think it’s gross. Don’t worry LA will get knocked out of the playoffs again after winning 100 games. We get plenty of talent but gut punches most post seasons. It’s maddening.
Dodger fan here also since 78, what no faith in Roberts to manage a pitching staff lol

Damn, he's good - but is he worth 2x what Betts is worth?
On the field, certainly not. But as mentioned, they will sell a ton of dodger jerseys as a result.

Reactions: NoleinATL
Great lineup, but there is a good chance that someone like me might be there 5th starter., they have a really weak rotation now. That’s where is deferred money is going to go.

All the deferred money is weird.
He could be Pujols bad by the time this deal ends, however.

If Ohtani never pitches again due to elbow surgery, then he
hopefully has 10 years as a DH. He is only worth the 700
million because he will put fans in the stands. No player is
really worth that much money as a player on the baseball
field. The Dodgers want to sell tickets to their home games.
The Dodgers didn't need him to get fans there though. I suppose it will increase merchandising sales overseas, especially in Japan. I doubt it matches what he is costing every year though so they need to get something out of him.

Personally, I'm glad the Cubs got out. I didn't want them to do it when it was rumored to be at $500 million. Contracts like this one destroy teams. Although if they are paying him until he is 70, they can probably afford it. It's no longer Bobby Bonilla day!

Reactions: Tom Paris
I’m a Dodgers fan and I think it’s gross. Don’t worry LA will get knocked out of the playoffs again after winning 100 games. We get plenty of talent but gut punches most post seasons. It’s maddening.

End up with the top end of the rotation unavailable or pitching through an injury and top bats disappearing.

Wash
Rinse
Repeat

Reactions: Tom Paris
Crazy money. Maybe I'll see him play for the first time in the 2024 playoffs.

I thought sales of merchandise and streaming in foreign countries is split evenly amongst the entire league?

It’s not a baseball move. It’s a marketing move.

The dodgers DH was pretty good last year according to a guy on radio. Ohtani isn’t going to out produce him by $70 million per season.

Two Tommy John’s isn’t something you camper a few hundred million on.

He will make the dodgers money outside of baseball. Nationally, most people are in bed when the dodgers start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT