ADVERTISEMENT

Ohtani to Dodgers for 700 million

If I ever meet an angels fan, all I’m going to talk about is how they had trout and Ohtani and were terrible
As a kid back in the late 80s I always wondered how the hell the A’s ever lost a game with Canseco and McGwire. Figured they should be blowing teams out by 15 runs every game and winning every World Series in 4 games. It wasn’t until I was older that I realized how much more important team chemistry, pitching and defense, a little luck, and timely hitting were than having 2 mega stars on the same roster. I like the Dodgers, but I predict they won’t win a WS title with Ohtani.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
If Ohtani never pitches again due to elbow surgery, then he
hopefully has 10 years as a DH. He is only worth the 700
million because he will put fans in the stands. No player is
really worth that much money as a player on the baseball
field. The Dodgers want to sell tickets to their home games.
The Dodgers are one of the top attendance teams in baseball with or without Ohtani. It’s the merchandise with his name on it.

Dodger fan here also since 78, what no faith in Roberts to manage a pitching staff lol
I don’t blame him much. He’s had a ton of bad luck with injuries to the staff. Not to mention Urias and Bauer’s issues. He also can’t do much about his best hitters falling apart in the playoffs either.

Dodgers fan since 1974, for the record!

Reactions: This_Hawk_Abides
I don’t blame him much. He’s had a ton of bad luck with injuries to the staff. Not to mention Urias and Bauer’s issues. He also can’t do much about his best hitters falling apart in the playoffs either.

Dodgers fan since 1974, for the record!

Roberts actually managed the staff well last year. It was a transition year and they won 100 without Bueller-known going into the season. Losing May and Gonso for all/most of the year. Urias pitching like crap prior to domestic abuse, Kerahaw hurt all year and should really be counted on as 3rd/4th starter. Thor being a train wreck. They ran away w the division behind Lynn, and a bunch of pups- Pepiot, Miller, Stone, Grove.

I think this contract is obscene. I wish they would have got Harper for 10 years at half the price a few years back.

As a Cubs fan I was hoping to be the winner of the sweepstakes, but for that number….kind of glad the Cubs didn’t. We have been saddled with bad contracts before….dont need to do that again.

Good for him though

As a Cubs fan I was hoping to be the winner of the sweepstakes, but for that number….kind of glad the Cubs didn’t. We have been saddled with bad contracts before….dont need to do that again.

Good for him though
The Cubs could oversign for Yamamoto and Bellinger, and get Josh Hader and Matt Chapman for the amount the Dodgers paid for Ohtani.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
This is that number Biden was trying to say in the other thread! Lol sheesh.

I was hoping the Cubs would get him but damn.

Good for him though

I watched Pujols leave St. Louis for LA. He was never the same/as good after leaving St. Louis in my opinion. This deal feels like a similar outcome

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
I watched Pujols leave St. Louis for LA. He was never the same/as good after leaving St. Louis in my opinion. This deal feels like a similar outcome
That is the one that popped into my mind immediately.

If he had signed for around $500 million (still a record setting amount)…and the Cubs missed I would have been bummed. But 700 million? Not at all bummed, but glad he got that from the Dodgers.

That is the one that popped into my mind immediately.

If he had signed for around $500 million (still a record setting amount)…and the Cubs missed I would have been bummed. But 700 million? Not at all bummed, but glad he got that from the Dodgers.
If his contract makes it difficult to compete for the Dodgers, as a Cubs fan I'm not unhappy with that. But the Dodgers have shown that they generally know what they are doing, even if it hasn't translated into a World Series championship for them. They've been competing for them though.

GA7xCXfbgAAZYjF

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
On the surface, without really knowing how deferred payments will work or count against the luxury tax, this seems like b.s.
Think about 27 million will count towards tax .each year.At least that’s what I’ve read. That still seems absurd.

Reactions: wausauhawk
On the surface, without really knowing how deferred payments will work or count against the luxury tax, this seems like b.s.
There have been long term / deferred contracts in baseball, Bobby Bonilla being the most famous, but this one smells a little. The NHL voided several contracts about a decade ago, didn’t they? This really is skirting the rules.

Reactions: kkhawk
I assume he will still owe CA taxes in the years he is actually getting paid since it will be earned over the next 10 years? If not, genius move on his part as he could just move when the contract is over.
Isn’t it based on where your employer is based / incorporated?

In general, people who earn a living by providing services are subject to tax in the state where they provide those services as well as in their resident state. Professional athletes, as well as the coaches, trainers, and other personnel traveling with the team, must allocate their salary to the various states where the team plays or practices.

Reactions: lucas80
I assume he will still owe CA taxes in the years he is actually getting paid since it will be earned over the next 10 years? If not, genius move on his part as he could just move when the contract is over.

He will not.

this contract will piss off the feds, the state, other owners and probably a few players or two

I haven’t watched baseball in a long time. Are baseball teams this financially successful that they can pay out contracts like this? Seems insane even for a generational talent but maybe they make more than I thought.

Pro baseball teams play like 700 games per season.

I knew players had to file in every state they play, I don’t know what will happen for these deferred contracts if be moves full time residency to a state with no income tax once he is no longer playing. Or out of the country for that matter. I don’t think it matters where his employer is; but certainly could be wrong.
If he is getting paid while no longer playing, it seems like it would revert to where the Angels play.

Bobby Bonilla who?

On the surface these type of deals always feel like they should be illegal to me, not just in baseball but actually illegal. It feels like tax evasion.

I don’t blame him though, sweet deal if you can get it….

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
Pujols was also ancient. The cardinals declined a 500K/1 year deal with pujols the year he went to the Yankees and the cards lost to them in the playoffs (pujols was 5 feet shy of a game ending home run that came shortly thereafter anyways). It was nice having him back for that final season with molina even though neither guy is at the level they were a decade earlier obviously.

Ohtani is getting a massive amount in endorsements beyond the 2 million per year and I imagine the dodgers have more money to attract other top talent players now with this deferment agreement. Could help ohtani legacy if it helps the dodgers get over their post season curse (I hope this doesn't happen, **** the dodgers).

Pujols was also ancient. The cardinals declined a 500K/1 year deal with pujols the year he went to the Yankees and the cards lost to them in the playoffs (pujols was 5 feet shy of a game ending home run that came shortly thereafter anyways). It was nice having him back for that final season with molina even though neither guy is at the level they were a decade earlier obviously.

Ohtani is getting a massive amount in endorsements beyond the 2 million per year and I imagine the dodgers have more money to attract other top talent players now with this deferment agreement. Could help ohtani legacy if it helps the dodgers get over their post season curse (I hope this doesn't happen, **** the dodgers).
Did you just say Pujols played for the Yankees, and that the Cardinals lost to the Yankees in the playoffs?

• Haha
Reactions: Scruddy
If I ever meet an angels fan, all I’m going to talk about is how they had trout and Ohtani and were terrible
That would be me…and yes we know. I will always have the 2002 WS championship though. Good enough I suppose.

I am however happy we didn’t spend that amount of money for someone with at tops 3 really good years left. Angels have made some dumb ass decisions. Including not TRADING FOR OTHANI last year but still glad to not spend the money and love how loyal Trout is. I hope we can at least give Trout one more playoff push before he retires (Angel for life).

There have been long term / deferred contracts in baseball, Bobby Bonilla being the most famous, but this one smells a little. The NHL voided several contracts about a decade ago, didn’t they? This really is skirting the rules.

It should be against the rules, but as they read currently, it is not.

This had to have been in the works for over a year. LA was clearing the roster, not spending last off season, and without question working this deal out with Ohtani's agent; Toronto was just a smoke screen all along.

Brilliantly played by Dodgers management.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT