ADVERTISEMENT

Ok Nebraska . . . put your $$$ where your mouth is . . .

I'd be just fine with Nebraska declaring its intention to leave the B1G. Pay the secession fee ($25M to $50M), wait the allotted time (2 to 3 years) and allow the B1G to recruit a replacement. Try to lure Missouri (St. Louis and Kansas City TV markets) or Colorado (Denver TV market). Trading the paucity of television revenue that the State of Nebraska's populace brings to the B1G's coffers for what Missouri or Colorado could bring is a definite "win" for the B1G.

Further, I'd take Missouri's academics and Colorado's academics over Nebraska's.

Finally . . . Boulder >>>>Columbia>>>>Lincoln

Oooh, I'd choose Colorado if given the choice. Road tripping to Boulder for a college football game? Hell yeah!!!

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
I'd be just fine with Nebraska declaring its intention to leave the B1G. Pay the secession fee ($25M to $50M), wait the allotted time (2 to 3 years) and allow the B1G to recruit a replacement. Try to lure Missouri (St. Louis and Kansas City TV markets) or Colorado (Denver TV market). Trading the paucity of television revenue that the State of Nebraska's populace brings to the B1G's coffers for what Missouri or Colorado could bring is a definite "win" for the B1G.

Further, I'd take Missouri's academics and Colorado's academics over Nebraska's.

Finally . . . Boulder >>>>Columbia>>>>Lincoln

just because they have a higher population doesn't mean they generate more tv revenue. 1st and 2nd tier tv contracts dwarf tier 3 money. Colorado definitely doesn't come close to helping tier 1 & 2 like Nebraska does. Missouri might do better in the B1G than in SEC for tv ratings but they don't do what Nebraska does either if Nebraska gets back to some semblance of winning.

Reactions: mustang_hawk
Hey Everyone, been a while since I posted here but what better time to post again than now?! LOL. What a bummer man. Look on the bright side, thing of all the money Iowa is about to get from depressed Nebraskans heading to Council Bluffs.

I'd like nothing more than to watch that tramp school leave the B1G and pile their sh it in a shopping cart and push it over over to the B12.

Would make the delay/cancellation almost worthwhile.

I'm sure I'll get little support, but I think this gives a chance to get away from all the hatred with Nebraska and have a respectful rivalry like with Wisconsin. You have to respect their past, and they clearly have the same values as our program about this year.

Scott Frost's statement was irritating because he was sticking out his chest, trying to act tough and essentially making claims that he couldn't back up. The whole "we're ready to play and if the conference won't allow Fall football, we'll figure something else out" statement essentially lathered up Nebraska fans for something that he couldn't deliver.
In other words typical Nebraska. All talk, no game......

Reactions: ROCKY MOUNTAIN HAWK
None of this makes any sense whatsoever Eppy. Who exactly are the presidents who wanted to cancel? We know Iowa, OSU, Nebraska, Michigan were all in. Penn State's Franklin came out saying they would fight. I can't imagine Mitch Daniels at Purdue would have voted to cancel. So who exactly voted for this? Rutgers, Maryland, Minnesota, who else?
No, just Iowa and Nebraska opposed. Coaches elsewhere may have said they would fight to play, but their presidents and ADs said otherwise.

Balls to kick them out? More like would have the brains not to kick them out. You kick OSU and Mich out then guaranteed PSU follows and the B1G would quickly be weaker than any other P5 conf by far. People don’t want to admit it but it’s the truth.
Iowa > all those teams

At this point, it might not be their worst option. At least this way they can save some face and say the Big Ten kicked them out over a poor decision, rather than them leaving in shame because they couldn't win.....;)

Maybe, but when we don't have basketball this winter either, and we're looking at 6 months of zero TV revenue for the B10, finding another conference will be the least of every athletic department's worries.

Reactions: 4norsemen
Maybe, but when we don't have basketball this winter either, and we're looking at 6 months of zero TV revenue for the B10, finding another conference will be the least of every athletic department's worries.
Nah, they'll just have to reconsider the monetary aspect of college athletics and how colleges got waaaaay too dependent on it.

Doesn't mean college athletics have to die. That'd just be f***ing stupid on the universities' part.

Reactions: BettDogs7
Nah, they'll just have to reconsider the monetary aspect of college athletics and how colleges got waaaaay too dependent on it.

Doesn't mean college athletics have to die. That'd just be f***ing stupid on the universities' part.

Iowa football props up almost every other sport. Same with Nebraska, and Ohio State and every other school out there. You have TV money plus gate money that won't be coming in.

You have Title IX to consider as well. If Iowa can't afford a woman's rifle or bowling team, they have to cut a men's sport as well. The ADs at any university that decides to forego this football season (and likely the basketball season as well) is likely not going to have a department to run this time next year.

Iowa football props up almost every other sport. Same with Nebraska, and Ohio State and every other school out there. You have TV money plus gate money that won't be coming in.

You have Title IX to consider as well. If Iowa can't afford a woman's rifle or bowling team, they have to cut a men's sport as well. The ADs at any university that decides to forego this football season (and likely the basketball season as well) is likely not going to have a department to run this time next year.
Apparently you didn't read my post because my point still stands......

Yes pontificating about too much money in college sports sounds nice. But we're about to find out that none of the other sports exist (even wrestling) without football to pay the bills. This is the most stupid decision to self-immolate that any conference has ever made.

Oh. You mean they'll just have to figure out how to field teams without any TV money or gate sales from football and men's basketball. Got it.

Yeah exactly these folks talking about college sports being better now that the money is out of it have no idea. Nothing will exist without funding.

Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Yes pontificating about too much money in college sports sounds nice. But we're about to find out that none of the other sports exist (even wrestling) without football to pay the bills. This is the most stupid decision to self-immolate that any conference has ever made.

That people posting on a major Div 1 football message board don't seem to understand what this means...well it means that I must be on the Iowa board :)

Of course I kid (sort of). We have people on the Nebraska boards who can't wait to have "two football seasons in 2021".

the hope is that we have a vaccine by then.

You're not going to put players through the rigors of 2 football seasons in one calendar year. Plain and simple. That's idiotic. Even if you had a 12 week schedule with 2 byes, you're looking at ending one "season" in June, then starting summer camps almost immediately afterwards. This idea is just pandering by the B10 leadership (aside from Nebraska, apparently) to shut people up.

Iowa > all those teams

It’ll be hilarious to come back to this post once players are started to be paid in the next couple years. Cable money will be gone before too long and teams like Iowa will be in huge trouble of being grouped with inferior programs like the rest of the B1G West In the next CFB re-org which is coming. I’m sure recruiting won’t suffer in Iowa City at all in the near future with zero games, a coach that’s career is in its twilight right after a massive national scandal...

Last edited:
Reactions: NoSwampDonkeys
Scott Frost's comments about trying to play outside of conference amused me more than anything. I completely understand the desire to try to do whatever is possible to play this year, but it's pretty damned funny that they'd put their standing in the conference on the line for the sake of one season. I genuinely believe the U of N and Nebraska fans would like to go back to the B12, but there is no way they'll be able to do that with contractual issues in the B10 AND the B12.

Personally, I love watching Iowa kick Nebraska's ass in football year-in and year-out so, no, I don't want to see Nebraska leave the B10. I count on that automatic win to boost Iowa's record every year. ;)

More like last minute wins the last few years.

just because they have a higher population doesn't mean they generate more tv revenue. 1st and 2nd tier tv contracts dwarf tier 3 money. Colorado definitely doesn't come close to helping tier 1 & 2 like Nebraska does. Missouri might do better in the B1G than in SEC for tv ratings but they don't do what Nebraska does either if Nebraska gets back to some semblance of winning.

The B1G has more alumni than any other conference. With or without Nebraska, it will generate big television contracts. Subtract Nebraska from B1G footprint and add Denver or KC/STL markets and the financial benefits would be significant. At least $6.00/year per cable/satellite subscribing home for BTN revenue. There’s a reason why Rutgers is in B1G and it isn’t Tier 1/or Tier 2 revenue. It’s population and BTN monies.

Zero revenue for B1G? Did BTN shut down? Are cable providers and satellite providers no longer paying BTN for its programming?

Reactions: 4norsemen
Both the Big 12 and the SEC would likely take Nebraska or Iowa in a New York minute.... The decision by the Big 10 today may have just started the next round of conference alignment. If those conferences play, and the Big stays firm on not playing, all heck could break loose as far as last minute positioning for schools that want to play this fall.

You think Nebber’s a nobody now, wait until the B1G tosses them aside.

They’ll be bragging about the days when they were the 14th best team in the best conference in the country.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT